PDA

View Full Version : Borescope

montana_charlie
10-24-2008, 05:13 PM
If you ask which spotting scope to buy, you will get recommendations for Konus and Celestron...but eventually you will get a reply from somebody who says if you don't get a Kowa (or Swarovski) you are wasting your money.

Same thing happens, no matter what kind of equipment you ask about.

Well, I asked (somewhere) if there was any value in buying a borescope like those sold by ProVision...if gun barrels is what you want to look at.
Never got anything on the ProVision part of the question, but got a good amount of 'browbeating' about buying cheap stuff.

I can't justify a Hawkeye borescope, but I did want to be able to look into deep, skinny, holes. So, I bought the ProVision PV-2636 and spent yesterday looking through it.

Comparing the 'picture it provides' with a video downloaded from the Hawkeye site, there ain't much difference between the two.

If you need any specific details before making a similar choice...just ask.
CM

AZ-Stew
10-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Charlie,

Will the thin probe fit a .22 centerfire barrel?

Regards,

Stew

kodiak1
10-24-2008, 07:58 PM
charlie I don't know what you are thinking of spending and I am not sure whbat they would cost in USD, but Snap On has in the last couple of months came out with a couple that have digital tv screens on them they start at about $400.00 Canadian and Man I don't care what anyone says these are clear really clear you stick it in your ear and you can count every hair and watch your eardrum move as you pop your ears.
My son owns a snap On Route and since September 12th has sold over 30 of these things they sell them selves.

It does have one draw back the end of the whip it comes with is 8MM but they build an adapter that is suppose to fit in a 22 caliber. I don't know what the extra whip will cost but will post as soon as I get mine.

I have a provision also and this new one makes it look like a piece of junk in the clarity department. You want a used provission charlie????????????????

Good Luck Ken

mike in co
10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
ken...does the provision fit 22 cal ? and how much would you like for yours ?
you can pm me or email the price.
thanks
mike

charlie I don't know what you are thinking of spending and I am not sure whbat they would cost in USD, but Snap On has in the last couple of months came out with a couple that have digital tv screens on them they start at about $400.00 Canadian and Man I don't care what anyone says these are clear really clear you stick it in your ear and you can count every hair and watch your eardrum move as you pop your ears.
My son owns a snap On Route and since September 12th has sold over 30 of these things they sell them selves.

It does have one draw back the end of the whip it comes with is 8MM but they build an adapter that is suppose to fit in a 22 caliber. I don't know what the extra whip will cost but will post as soon as I get mine.

I have a provision also and this new one makes it look like a piece of junk in the clarity department. You want a used provission charlie????????????????

Good Luck Ken

montana_charlie
10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Will the thin probe fit a .22 centerfire barrel?
The PV-636 and 618 have .23" probes...as do the PV-2636 and 2618.
The probe will not fit into my .22 rimfire barrels, but it can 'see far enough' to be somewhat useful on short pistol barrels.

I don't know which ProVision you have, but I assume it's the older type. The 2636 and 2618 have a 7400 pixle picture...which is twice the resolution of the 636 and 618.
As I said in the opening post, the picture quality is very similar to the Hawkeye, judging by the video downloaded from the Hawkeye site.

The ProVision doesn't have the 'monitor' that comes with the Snap-On, but you can pipe a Provision into a camera...or other graphic imaging device.

I paid $182 for mine...new in the box.

An added feature of the new Provisions with the small probes...
The probe is 'non-obedient', which means it is flexible...and just follows the path of least resistance. The Hawkeye is rigid, so it is good for barrels and such...but won't follow a bending path.

The new model ProVisions...those with the '2' in the number (PV-2636) have a sleeve that slides over the thin probe, and threads in place. It is 'obedient', meaning you set it in a bent configuration (or straight if that is what you want) and it stays that way.

That makes the tool useful for more than just rifle barrels.

With the sleeve on, I can still examine my .45 caliber Sharps and my .45 caliber T/C Hawken. That was my first look into the bottom of a muzzleloader barrel !!!
It's nice to know (for sure) that the interior of my breech plug is clean and shiney.

Another nice feature...
The PV-2636 (and 2618) come with the accessory kit that includes a spare bulb, magnet, and mirror for looking at ninety degrees to the probe. That kit has always been 'an available option' in the past...and cost an additional 30 to 40 dollars.

CM

Woodtroll
10-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Charlie,

I searched for these on the Internet, but didn't come up with anything useful (but, I'm notoriously bad with computers!). Would you mind sharing your source? I sure would bite on a scope for a couple hundred bucks, but not $700.

Many thanks,
Regan

kodiak1
10-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Just stated it the way I see it in the borescope!!!!!!!!!!

You did good in the price department Charlie. Mine is about three years old and was around the $600.00 Mark when I bought it.

I don't think my provision is as flexible as yours the Snap On one is it will go around a .750" corner and not hurt the whip.

Ken.

montana_charlie
10-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Would you mind sharing your source? I sure would bite on a scope for a couple hundred bucks, but not $700.
Here is a 'copy & paste' of the post I left on the Shiloh forum...in answer to a question similar to yours...

You could start your search by Googling ProVision borescope.
One of the search results will be the ProVision homepage http://www.provision100.com/ .
Google will also show paths to other suppliers.

I bought mine on eBay (for $182)...if you are comfortable in that environment.
There are some (there) which are 'remanufactured' that demand even lower prices. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of those, but they don't include the accessory kit. However, that is available (separately) from at least one other seller for thirty-odd dollars. Just be sure you are looking at the right kit for the PV2-series scopes.

I chose the PV-2636, which is 36 inches long. If you would be satisfied by 'reading' your barrel in 'two chapters' (Chapter 1, Chamber & Chapter 2, Muzzle) the 18-inch PV-2618 will do the job.
I swayed back and forth over that question, thinking the shorter one might provide a brighter picture...or be easier to manipulate.
I am satisfied...on both counts...with the longer one.

CM

leftiye
10-26-2008, 02:38 PM
All - Really good info for those of us who are interested in a borescope but not having money to burn on what might be termed non essentials. Thanks a bunch.

mike in co
10-27-2008, 07:36 PM
pro vision contacted me today.
they do not have 22 cal capabilities....they forwarded my request to a competitor....

mike in co

Wayne Smith
10-28-2008, 07:03 AM
pro vision contacted me today.
they do not have 22 cal capabilities....they forwarded my request to a competitor....

mike in co

Now that's class. No bull, just 'We can't do it, these folks can". I like that kind of company.

Ricochet
10-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Never got anything on the ProVision part of the question, but got a good amount of 'browbeating' about buying cheap stuff.
If it's not cheap, I'm unlikely to ever buy it.

timkelley
10-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Ricochet +1.:-D

SwedeNelson
10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Looks like a fun toy.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=81957&PartNo=BK5500&group_id=21604&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

Swede Nelson

kodiak1
10-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Swede the thing is the clarity of these things it is unbelievably clear the picture.

Ken