PDA

View Full Version : wads under powder

canuck4570
12-08-2005, 12:26 PM
having a mold made wich has .803 of the bullet inside the case wich permit me to put about 40 to 41 gr. of 3031 and this should give me about 1400 to 1500 fps...(I dont want any aire space between bullet and powder) my question is.... if I want to reduce a bit the charge for groupe testing and so on is it a good idea to take up the space created by adding wadds cut from carton milk jug using my buffalla wad cutter punch... my rifle is a ruger no 1
4570 and the bullet is a 500 gr....thank you Canuck

Char-Gar
12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
wads work, just make certain they occupy 100% of the air space, or else you can get a damaged barrel. Also be certain to add their weight to the weight of the bullet for the total weight of the ejecta and pressure resulting therefrom.

canuck4570
12-08-2005, 01:37 PM
thank you chargar .... I will make the load with light compression as a safery margin... :Fire:

Bullshop
12-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Not to be too pickey but I think you mean over powder wads. I know that didnt need to be said but it just raised my hackles like finger nailes across a black board.
I will at least offer another suggestion after picking on you though. If I use cut filler wads(over powder) I like to cut them out of styrofoam picnick plates. They are about weightless and like milk carton wads will prevent lube migration to the powder, and are way easier to cut. I seldom cut wads any more, I just use packing pop corn as is. The packing pop corn works just like a shot gun wad, light weight and compressable. It is realy no different than using a powderd form of the same material. Same end result, an almost weightless filler.
BIC/BS

canuck4570
12-08-2005, 02:20 PM
bullshop.... do you cut these popcorn on a wad cutter.....if so it must be hard to get the same thickness..... look great but I am a bit confuse could you elaborate.... thanks...Canuck :veryconfu

canuck4570
12-08-2005, 02:29 PM
bullshop.... do you cut these popcorn on a wad cutter.....if so it must be hard to get the same thickness..... look great but I am a bit confuse could you elaborate.... thanks...Canuck :veryconfuforgot being made in styrofowm do the tend to dyrty the bore by melting (if they do melt that is)

Maven
12-08-2005, 03:01 PM
canuck4570, You can also try using your arch punch to cut thin paper disks which you push down onto the powder with minimum pressure. Just be sure they're in contact with the powder. The thin paper I use is subscription cards that are found in abundance in most magazines. Btw, the pressure created by firing the rifle almost atomizes them.

454PB
12-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Years ago I was using cardboard over the powder charge as you suggest doing in my 45/70. I nearly got into trouble and changed to using Kapok as a filler. It gave the same good accuracy results and none of the "pressure spikes" of the cardboard.

StarMetal
12-08-2005, 05:58 PM

Who suggested a wad on top the powder. I gaurantee you it was none of our regular member, family as I like to refer to them. None of the family would ever suggest anything on top the powder with an airspace between it and the base of the bullet. Thank God nothing bad happen and you know the right way now...NO AIRSPACE.

Joe

canuck4570
12-08-2005, 06:29 PM
dont worry has I said the wads will be compress between the powder and bullet I dont want any aire space .....
my bullet and charge combination are made in a way that with 40 gr of 3031 the powder is a bit compress by the bullet so if I want to go down 1 or 2 gr on the powder and still dont want aire space I would place 1 or 2 wads and still get all of them compress between powder and bullet.

Bass Ackward
12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Mike,

If you want to slow down, you can simply compress a slower powder like 4064. And it's bulky too.

At .805 of seating depth, Quickload says that you should have 45.5 grains of useable powder space. Just so you know.

canuck4570
12-08-2005, 06:57 PM
I took a rezeise 4570 case put powder in until my .803 wood dowel would tuch the powder and it gave me 40 to 41 gr... I must admit that it was H4895 I tought it would about the same with 3031.... thank your for info on 3031

canuck4570
12-08-2005, 07:13 PM
while we are on the subjec what program would you recommend for cast bullet....to get accurate answer like you gave me Mr. Ackward on the capacity of the case for 3031 powder...

Bullshop
12-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Canuck45/70
The packing popcorn does not melt in the barrel, its not in there long enough. I have been using it for 15 or more years with no problems and good results. With the popcorn I do not cut it with a cutter,no need to. I just break into desired size pinch and roll between fingers and slide into the case. I have never been concerned with exact weight as it is nearly weightless. A small difference in volume seems to make no difference.
On the styro picknic plate wads I do use a wad cutter. I dont like to punch them out as it seems to pinch the edges and compress the wad. This makes the wad loose some of its loft. I use a well sharpened circuler cutter and twist it between my fingers so it cuts out the disk. If you use these stack them so they touch both powder and boolit.
BIC/BS

The Nyack Kid
12-08-2005, 09:37 PM
I took a rezeise 4570 case put powder in until my .803 wood dowel would tuch the powder and it gave me 40 to 41 gr... I must admit that it was H4895 I tought it would about the same with 3031.... thank your for info on 3031

thats sound about right. i can get 45 gr of 3031 under a boolit with .710 in winchester 45-70 cases 46 is compressed .

Bass Ackward
12-09-2005, 12:08 AM
while we are on the subjec what program would you recommend for cast bullet....to get accurate answer like you gave me Mr. Ackward on the capacity of the case for 3031 powder...

Mike,

The only program "that I know of" that does anything like you suggest, is Quickload. But if I loaded for only one cartridge, I am not sure it is worth the cost. But with the price of components these days, it pays for itself over and over in my case.

canuck4570
12-09-2005, 11:48 AM
My friend brought some 3031 over yesterday and after many trials it always came up with 41 to 42 gr. of powder depending on how much pressure I put on the wooden dowel with a mark on .803...We also tried with a drop tube and we could put a additional 1 to 1.5 gr of powder....and this is dropping the powder very slowly in the drop tube....

454PB
12-09-2005, 02:03 PM

Who suggested a wad on top the powder. I gaurantee you it was none of our regular member, family as I like to refer to them. None of the family would ever suggest anything on top the powder with an airspace between it and the base of the bullet. Thank God nothing bad happen and you know the right way now...NO AIRSPACE.

Joe

LOL. this was way back before there was an internet. I don't recall where I got the idea to try it, but the problem was that the card could work loose from it's position. In addition, I was using pistol powders like Unique and Herco.

I went so far as putting a dab of Elmer's glue on the cardboard to hold it in place.

As I said, not a good procedure, and I still recommend Kapok or other bulky, lightweight fillers.