PDA

View Full Version : Case chart????

abunaitoo
05-29-2019, 03:50 AM
Is there such a thing as a case dimensions chart???
Something that would list cases by the rim size, base size, length, in separate charts.

RU shooter
05-29-2019, 06:50 AM
Get the book called cartridges of the world . Some
Reloading manuals have that info in the back pages also

Gewehr-Guy
05-29-2019, 08:22 AM
That info in a small booklet or wall chart would be handy,rather than paging through endless loading manuals to find case dimensions. Lee's Modern Reloading has good illustrations of case dimensions, as well as several other loading manuals I have.
I would like to see a company like Starline Brass offer a cartridge case board,like the old bullet boards offered by Speer,Hornady , ect. If they were removable we could then measure and compare them with other obsolete cartridges we are trying to replicate.

tommag
05-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Reloaders bible or digest had a two page chart in the 1997 edition.

country gent
05-29-2019, 02:26 PM
As a wildcatter and case former I would like to see a chart or book with cases not so much by caliber but by case family, case head size. This would be handier when looking for cases to modify or form into another. By caliber its a lot of searching thru the books or charts.

redhawk0
05-29-2019, 04:41 PM
I always refer to the SAAMI spec manuals for these dimensions. That way its always the Standard that you're looking at.

redhawk

Nobade
05-29-2019, 04:50 PM
If SAAMI or CIP doesn't list it, I find Ken Howell's book to be quite valuable.

jonp
05-29-2019, 05:03 PM
Cartridges Of The World is quite good.

Bazoo
05-29-2019, 08:18 PM
Cartridges of the world has a chart of cartridges with each dimension in a graph. I prefer the older COTW but the new one lists all the newer cartridges obviously.

You can skim down the head diameter column and find one you like and then it gives the cartridge name and all the other dimensions. So you can compare all the cases with the same rim diameter, or case head diameter or what have you.

Not to mention that if one is into cat'n the handloaders manual of cartridge conversions has a detail on each cartridge with known parent cases and methods, as well as techniques detailing how to do the different modifications. It also has a chart of cases by dimensions to help with selection.

EDG
05-30-2019, 12:39 AM
There is no one good reference.
Cartridges of the World is only a commercial compilation. It is not an actual standard. The standards are the real authority but even real ammo can vary from the standard. COW is largely someone's table of data that came from copying other sources or by measuring old ammo of sometimes unknown origin. In other words there are plenty of chances for errors.

SAAMI is the US standard but hundreds and hundreds of older US and foreign rounds have never been standardized. So SAAMI has no data for rounds you might need data for the most.

CIP is the European standard and it does not have a lot of older rounds especially older US rounds. CIP is also dimensioned in metric units requiring conversion to inches. Some US users may not be used to making the conversions from one unit to another.

Mr_Sheesh
05-30-2019, 04:25 AM
I'm planning to make a database with all that, I keep running into the same problem - For making shotshells or cartridge conversion, among other problems. If I find someone good at web stuff once I get it all together maybe we could put it up on a web site. Or if I can make a PDF of it and upload it somewhere as needed :)

6bg6ga
05-30-2019, 05:48 AM
I just open up my Lymans reloading manual.

BrassMagnet
05-30-2019, 01:49 PM
I just open up my Lymans reloading manual.

Many cartridges aren't listed there!

brstevns
05-30-2019, 04:23 PM
I just google the cartridge of interest.

EDG
05-30-2019, 07:09 PM
In the early 1960s the American Rifleman published a table of dimensions in one of the magazine issues. But it was not complete either. If you have the data anyone can put it into a spreadsheet file.

I'm planning to make a database with all that, I keep running into the same problem - For making shotshells or cartridge conversion, among other problems. If I find someone good at web stuff once I get it all together maybe we could put it up on a web site. Or if I can make a PDF of it and upload it somewhere as needed :)

abunaitoo
05-31-2019, 03:01 AM
I've had that book for years.
Never knew about the chart in the back.

abunaitoo
05-31-2019, 03:02 AM
I've had that book for years.
Never knew about the chart in the back.

SSGOldfart
05-31-2019, 10:39 AM

I'm not good enough to make it a PDF but I would love to have a copy hint[smilie=f: