PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up

DLCTEX
10-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I had to make a run to Elk City, Ok. yesterday to pick up a new washing machine at Sears. Our old one had croaked and we have two teenagers living with us at the moment, so the wife was in a hurry. I went by a home center that sells guns, ammo, and reloading supplies for some primers. I bought them out on small rifle and pistol and large pistol at 23.90 M, just in case Obama wins and things get tight. The price will be much higher when the new order comes in. He was out of large rifle and LR magnum, so no luck there. I hated to invest that much after buying the washer, but I feel it is a good investment. My regular supplier was thirteen dollars M higher last I checked. These were CCI (pistol) and Federal (small rifle). I was afraid to price the powder for fear I would really bust the budget. DALE

mike in co
10-24-2008, 09:44 AM
i bought some supplies...last week.

6000 55 fmj/bt/c ; 1200 75 hpbt ;10k small rifle primers. just started processing 6k in 223 brass. have 22lbs of one lot of powder for the 55'sand plent of powder for the 75's.

mike in co

PatMarlin
10-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I pray that terrorist backed bastreed doesn't make it. I think the sleeping conservative giant will awake and send him packing.... :Fire:

Blammer
10-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Have to wake the giant first.

PatMarlin
10-24-2008, 11:25 AM
He woke up when AL Gore was nearing a win.

1Shirt
10-24-2008, 12:25 PM
All I can say is yep! Get it now: JUST IN CASE!
1Shirt!:coffee:

clintsfolly
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
yes 20,000 primers 23lbs of powder last week clint

wiljen
10-24-2008, 12:34 PM
+1 on get it while ya can. None of the stuff is getting any cheaper.

Bought a case of each of the wolf primers just to put in reserve.

Jim
10-24-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm well stocked on rifle powder, not too bad on pistol powder, although I could use another jug and have a few Ks of primers. I'm gonna start buying a K of primers every weekend 'till I get about 15 K put aside.

uncle joe
10-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I had a business trip to Nashville this week and of course had to stop by Bass Pro Shop to see if they even carried reloading supplies. I was hoping they did since I didn't have time to research stores in the area that do carry our fodder. luckly they did have a small selection of powder.
Will someone that has one of these great stores close by tell me do they normally have good prices on powder? I picked up two poinds of unique at 10 bucks a pound cheaper than the local gun shop has it. Is this normal? I know the local guy gets beat up by the haz mat fee and must buy small qtys and pass on the cost. Their primers seemed to be a buck or so higher than local though ??? :???:
je

EDK
10-24-2008, 06:33 PM
I worked a lot of overtime the past two months and did some stocking up.

A second DILLON 550B so I didn't have to switch the primer system back and forth.

15,000 Large Pistol and 6,000 small pistol primers.

8 pound kegs of HP-38 and TITEGROUP and a 4 pound can of HERCO when the wife drove past GRAFS (Mexico Mo) to visit her sister. $3 to $5 per pound cheaper than I could get it locally! You can get 1,000 (or more) pistol loads per pound from any of the three choices.

My allowance is now in hock for a couple months, but I'm in pretty good shape for awhile on reloading components....just need a deal on lead or wheel weights. There's a lot to be said for the MARLIN lever guns in pistol calibers...my only big bores are the 30/30 and 45/70 Cowboy rifles AND my treasured 50/90 SHILOH SHARPS.

I don't think Mr. Obama has the "lock" the mainstream media wants to give him. ACORN has been caught with "their fingers in the cookie jar" and some of the more corrupt political machine strongholds are under scrutiny also. IF we all get out and vote...and encourage like minded friends and family...we will come out alright. EVEN IF HE WINS, he will see that a lot of everyday Americans are not in agreement with him.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

DLCTEX
10-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Bass Pro in Memphis had no reloading items when I was there last April. DALE

Buckshot
10-25-2008, 01:02 AM
..................Graf currently has a pretty good deal in CCI primers.

..................Buckshot

Boerrancher
10-25-2008, 07:43 AM
I generally stop at Graf's at least once a month, on my way to the VA Hospital there in Columbia. I get about a $37 travel allowance each time I go there. I know it is not a lot but I can generally pick up a thousand primers, or a couple pounds of powder. I am going to keep buying everything that I use and stock piling it. I am not too worried about lead supplies as I have an abandoned shooting range close buy that was in operation for nearly 30 years. I also live in the Lead Belt, so high grade ore is just laying around on the ground. Yeah, It may only yield 10% usable lead, but that is 10% more than what I would have If I didn't use it.

I am also in agreement with EDK in that there is a lot to be said for having a lever gun and a pistol that shoot the same ammo. I am missing a 44 mag to complete the collection, but I am thinking if my best friend has his way, I will have one by around Christmas time. I have killed plenty of 'yotes out to nearly 200 yards with all of my little lever guns. I am not able to buy anymore guns, so what little extra money I can scrape up has to go into components, as I am expecting, to quote from Blazing Saddles, "To give a laural and hardy welcome to our new Ni****." The only problem is this one is not as smart nor as funny as Clevon Little.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

bigdog454
10-25-2008, 03:18 PM
HIM getting elected dosen't scare me as much as HIM getting elected and then someone shooting HIM.

Ivantherussian03
10-25-2008, 04:03 PM
You all better get stock up....you don't know what is going to happen.

leadeye
10-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Lots of folks carting ammo out of the 1500 show here in Indy today. Some had hand carts.

Jim
10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Dropped by Wally World this afternoon and picked up two 15 count packs of fresh buckshot.

Shotgun Luckey
10-26-2008, 12:46 PM
finallyl stopped be the new Bass Pro Shop that opened just south of Tolede 2 sunday's ago....primers were $55 per thousand....I couldn't believe that

JesterGrin_1
10-26-2008, 12:49 PM
PBS has an online poll posted, asking if Sarah Palin

is qualified.
Apparently the left wing knew about this
in advance and are flooding the voting with NO votes.
The poll will be reported on PBS and picked up by
mainstream media. It can influence undecided voters
in swing states.
Please do two things -- takes 20 seconds.
1) Click on link and vote YES!
Here's the link:
http://www.pbs.org/now/polls/poll-435.html

2) Then send this to every McCain-Palin supporter
you know, and urge them to vote and pass it on.
The last thing we need is PBS saying their viewers don't
think Sarah Palin is qualified.

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 12:55 PM
I voted Hell Yes 5 times... :mrgreen:

JesterGrin_1
10-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Pat it says it will only work 1 time lol. But Thank You for trying. :) I did to just incase lol.

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 12:56 PM
I would like her to come over and sit in whilst my wife is gone.

Did I say that? ..:mrgreen:

JesterGrin_1
10-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Nope did not see a thing lol.

EDK
10-26-2008, 02:19 PM
I just voted in the poll....Sarah Palin had 50% for and 48% against her. It looks like trying to sand bag her doesn't work very well...even if PBS isn't very "red state" friendly.

PBS is getting more isolated from the real world every day...and then wonder why their penny pinching liberal base doesn't do much during the seemingly constant fund raisers! (There was something on Limbaugh or O'Reilly about the money that is contributed to charity by certain politicians...seems the liberals aren't near as generous with THEIR MONEY as they are with YOURS!) While "the power to tax is the power to destroy," perhaps they need someone to point out that people are not required to subsidize view points they don't agree with.

I wish there was a viable third party in this country. As is, they both screw the little guy and use the middle class and up to pay the bills...the Democrats just lie about it, and the unions, etc believe them; the Republicans at least attempt to cut the taxes.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

TAWILDCATT
10-26-2008, 04:25 PM
I just voted but I saw this before and voted and it said I could not but I did sooo
does this mean any thing.:coffee:[smilie=1:

rhead
10-26-2008, 08:47 PM
You voted more than once? Does that mean you are becoming a democrat?

PatMarlin
10-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Yea baby mamma obama- spread the wealth.. :mrgreen:

JesterGrin_1
11-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Now What? :(

GabbyM
11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Now What? :(

Stock up on rice and beans.

USARO4
11-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Uncle Joe, to answer your question I live near Nashville and rarely shop at Bass Pro. Their prices tend to be high and they have very limited selection. In the little town of Mt. Juliet just 15 minutes east of Nashville they have a small shop called Reloaders Bench. When you walk through the door your eyes will just about pop out of your head, from the floor to the ceiling every wall, aisle, and shelf and most of the floor itself is covered with reloading supplies, equipment, components, gadgets, doo dads, you name it. In addition they usually beat anyone elses prices. It is truly a mecca for handloaders, and the people there, employees and customers,. are friendly and helpfull. I am not affiliated with them in any way, I,m just a loyal customer.

Boerrancher
11-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I managed to squirrel away $50 over the last couple of weeks, just from the wife saving our change and from me doing a few odd jobs around for a few folks who need an extra hand. On Wed I went to my local shooting supply shop, and picked up a thousand rifle primers and a pound of powder. A friend of mine owes me $100, and I will probably use that as well to buy more primers and powder, or maybe a new mould or two. I am just thankful that 15 years ago when J bullets were cheap, I was buying them by the 25 lb box at the Sierra factory.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

remy3424
11-07-2008, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=PatMarlin;416754]I pray that terrorist backed bastreed doesn't make it. QUOTE]
??????? I hope I took this the wrong way when I first read it....

Is Sara quaified.....does anyone really think so???? Just as qualified as BHO, but he is lacking greatly, Joe should have been the Prez and BHO the V-P on the Demo ticket.

This will be my last post on any polictical thread, these are not why I visit this site, but I get sucked in!!!

Oh ya the original question....I bought supplies just over a year ago as prices were beginning to take off. If they come back down in the coming months(metals & oil are now much lower)will grab more. I hope the taxing or whatever they come up with won't be the first thing on the agenda.

RSOJim
11-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Have any of you guys visited the BATFE site to find out how much powder you can legally have in your home ? If I read it correctly 50 pounds is max. I think all I have left is about 1/2 pound. I won't be getting anymore. That stuff is dangerous. thanks Jim

Geraldo
11-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Have any of you guys visited the BATFE site to find out how much powder you can legally have in your home ? If I read it correctly 50 pounds is max. I think all I have left is about 1/2 pound. I won't be getting anymore. That stuff is dangerous. thanks Jim

Your local fire code may restrict you as well, but the FD isn't going to come and inspect your home. As for the danger level, if it's stored properly and not incredibly old, it's no more dangerous than any number of other things you have stored in your home, and less dangerous than some.

I have to buy some powder that I need, but I'm not stocking up for end of the world.

alamogunr
11-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Uncle Joe, to answer your question I live near Nashville and rarely shop at Bass Pro. Their prices tend to be high and they have very limited selection. In the little town of Mt. Juliet just 15 minutes east of Nashville they have a small shop called Reloaders Bench. When you walk through the door your eyes will just about pop out of your head, from the floor to the ceiling every wall, aisle, and shelf and most of the floor itself is covered with reloading supplies, equipment, components, gadgets, doo dads, you name it. In addition they usually beat anyone elses prices. It is truly a mecca for handloaders, and the people there, employees and customers,. are friendly and helpfull. I am not affiliated with them in any way, I,m just a loyal customer.

Thanks for the tip. I get to Nashville quite often(our grandchildren live there) and Mt. Juliet isn't too far out of the way. So far I only know it as an exit off I-40.

I've been stocking up to avoid higher prices. I have very good luck with Powder Valley. I just placed a large order for powder and primers. Was told that one of the powders was out of stock but would be in Thursday. It showed up on my door step yesterday. The shipping is reasonable for FedEx. They will combine powder and primers up to 48# on one hazmat charge. Midway insists that they must ship separately.
John
W.TN

Jim
11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Don't be too concerned about the danger of having powder in your home. Assuming, that is, that you have some semblance of brains. Most people have no clue how much potential energy there is in a 5 gallon can of gas. You're much more likely to find that in a garage where there's a lawn mower than you are to find multiple jugs of propellant in the house. Besides, when a jug of propellant goes, there a big whish and it's over. With gasoline or worse, propane, when it goes, unless it's in a safety can(propane don't come in safety cans), there's onelluva bang and parts of the house dissapears.
I've had a coupla firefighters tell me the thing they fear the worst in a storage shed, shop or garage fire is propane tanks. They say gas cans usually melt down or the safety link lets go and there's a lot of fire. But when a propane tank goes, they get no notice and somebody usually dies.