PDA

View Full Version : Head space????

abunaitoo
05-25-2019, 09:35 PM
My Destroyer in 9mm Largo again.
The head space looks to be to deep.
Using Star Line shells, no boolet, extractor will not grab the rim.
If possible, could I seat the boolet out farther, to make up for the deep head space????

tomme boy
05-25-2019, 10:13 PM
It will be hard on the extractor if you do it. Just make sure that you have extra parts.

Does starline make 9mm basic brass? That way you could trim them to whatever length you need. Looks like you might be able to use the 9mm Win mag brass and then trim to length. I did not check the case head dimensions, just length. So check that out and see if they would work.

rancher1913
05-25-2019, 10:15 PM
sounds like the brass is a tad too short. no expert but unless you can get the oal to stay perfect, you could have a problem with the gun firing out of battery if you try and use the boolit to move the brass back.

Smoke4320
05-28-2019, 02:40 PM
Ronco brass stretcher :) or Tommy boys suggestion sound plausible

Conditor22
05-28-2019, 03:57 PM
I've found PPU brass to be shorter than recommended trim to length

abunaitoo
05-29-2019, 03:44 AM
Looked on the Star Line site, and didn't see ant 9mm basic brass listed.
Seems everyone is out of 9mm Win Mag brass.
Don't know of another selling 9mm Largo brass.

gwpercle
05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
sounds like the brass is a tad too short. no expert but unless you can get the oal to stay perfect, you could have a problem with the gun firing out of battery if you try and use the boolit to move the brass back.

The Destroyer Carbine is a bolt action short rifle , essentially a scaled down 1893 Mauser with a 5 shot single stack magazine . Not everything back in the day was a semi auto .

gwpercle
05-29-2019, 11:09 AM
My Destroyer in 9mm Largo again.
The head space looks to be to deep.
Using Star Line shells, no boolet, extractor will not grab the rim.
If possible, could I seat the boolet out farther, to make up for the deep head space????

I have a Mauser model 93 Carbine , not a destroyer , the cartridges must feed up from the magazine and under the extractor before the bolt can be closed . The extractor will not snap over the rim of the case... You can't load a shell into the chamber unless it is fed from the magazine . Check your extractor and see if it operates in this manner, that may be the problem .

A buddy had a Star in 9mm Largo , we used 38 Super brass to reload ammo for it with 9mm Largo data .
the Largo is .910 " in length , the 38 Super is .900 " in length . The shorter .010 " didn't make any difference in the Star pistol...I believe the extractor held the case well enough to function. 38 Super might work in the Destroyer .

I always thought they were neat little rifles !
Gary