PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #2 for .38-40

BrentD
05-22-2019, 09:50 PM
What is the group's thoughts about using an antimony, lead and probably tin alloy of unknown composition that is about as hard as Lyman #2 for a .38-40 over 7.2 gr of Unique?

I ask because I normally cast 40:1 for this bullet and charge. And I don't load a lot of smokeless loads in the first place so I'm not really in my element with this one.

the bullet is the RCBS 180 grn flatnose and the gun is a relined vintage 1894 Marlin.

Thanks for all opinions.

centershot
05-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Brent, if you are going to load to the same pressures as you do with your 40:1 alloy I'd think that the harder alloy would be unnecessarily hard. IIRC, Lyman #2 is BHN 15; I'd cut it at least 50-50 with pure lead.

earlmck
05-23-2019, 11:46 AM
A revolver probably wouldn't be real happy with that hard bullet but the rifle won't complain a bit. But like centershot says, you don't need it that hard so you could mix it with lead if you wanted to extend your stash.

fredj338
05-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Size matters. IF the bullet fits the alloy will be fine but not needed.

BrentD
05-23-2019, 02:43 PM
The size fits, so no problem there. I will take the advice to cut it with 50% lead. I would rather not, simply because I would like to get rid of this alloy. It is a weird lot of "pure lead" that I bought on ebay years ago. Very hard, NOT PURE, stuff. Looks like antimony alloy casts at low temperature relative to my normal 16:1 lead:tin lead for BPCR and tested by a friend to to be very hard and comparable to Lyman #2. Someone said they thought the stuff was helicopter rotor weights. I dunno what is or from, but I have a lot of it.

While I have your attention. Would you do the same cutting it with 50% lead, for a mild to moderate loads in a .30-40 Krag with a gas checked "Krag bullet" of about 220 grs? I had been casting the stuff straight for this rifle. Accuracy wasn't wonderful, but that could be for other reasons.

Walks
05-23-2019, 02:58 PM
I've used #2 in the past for most handgun size cartridges in a rifle. Full power .44WCF Loads in a Uberti '92 Rifle without a hitch.