PDA

View Full Version : Snake Stopper

ohman11
10-23-2008, 07:24 PM
I was looking this over and thought this could be handy out where I hunt.

http://www.gunblast.com/Snake_Stopper.htm

I am still in the planning process but was wanting some input. He did his with a .38 but I wanted to make some for my .44 mag. I have some .440 round balls to crimp on the end and I can size them to .429 so they fit my shells but I am not sure where to begin on powder and shot weight. I would appreciate any input on this. I am going to use these in a Super Blackhawk .44 so it is a very stout handgun.

GP100man
10-23-2008, 07:40 PM
& if ya don`t want the round ball just cut a poster board (thick paper of sorts) & cap it ,a little crimp then seal off with water proff carpenters glue.
i use 3.5grs. of clays under a card #9 shot & another card sealed off , for the 44, 2grs for a 38 or 357

did`nt see the post count : WELCOME to the forum!!!!!!!!!:-D:-D

GP100man:castmine:

ohman11
10-23-2008, 07:47 PM
& if ya don`t want the round ball just cut a poster board (thick paper of sorts) & cap it ,a little crimp then seal off with water proff carpenters glue.

did`nt see the post count : WELCOME to the forum!!!!!!!!!:-D:-D

GP100man:castmine:Thanks for the welcome. I have been a lurker for about a year...Just now posted.I have been reloading for about 2 years now and casting for around a year. I do want the ball in them though..

Gohon
10-24-2008, 12:39 AM
I've tried the home made shot before and though it worked pretty well using a upsidedown crimped in gas check to cap of the round, I found simply buying a box of the Speer shot capsules the best method as you got more shot and a better pattern. Don't remember what I paid my local dealer for the box of 50, 9 or 10 bucks but it wasn't all that much and if I remember correctly, MidwayUSA has them for about that price. The Speer 13th edition has load data on page 594 for making these loads for the 38 special/357 magnum, 44 special and the 44 magnum.

ohman11
10-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I've tried the home made shot before and though it worked pretty well using a upsidedown crimped in gas check to cap of the round, I found simply buying a box of the Speer shot capsules the best method as you got more shot and a better pattern. Don't remember what I paid my local dealer for the box of 50, 9 or 10 bucks but it wasn't all that much and if I remember correctly, MidwayUSA has them for about that price. The Speer 13th edition has load data on page 594 for making these loads for the 38 special/357 magnum, 44 special and the 44 magnum.
Yes I have made those too and they work great but this "Snake -Stopper" is what I am interested in doing.

GP100man
10-24-2008, 07:16 AM
the thing is that these loadings have little resistance & pressure does`nt build qwikly.this is why you want a fast powder.
the loading i use will work on the rnd ball type , weight of the payload will be close either way.

GP100man:cbpour:

ohman11
10-24-2008, 07:20 AM
the thing is that these loadings have little resistance & pressure does`nt build qwikly.this is why you want a fast powder.
the loading i use will work on the rnd ball type , weight of the payload will be close either way.

GP100man:cbpour:Well can you tell me how much shot you are using in a .44 shell? Are you filling it with shot so you have just enough room to cap it and crimp it?
Thanks for all of the help!

C1PNR
10-24-2008, 04:21 PM
My "Snake Getter" has for 20 years been a 2 barrel Derringer in 38 spl. I load .357 Mag brass because it carries more shot, and pressure sure isn't any concern.

I just looked for the load and couldn't find it, but it's about 2.5 to 3 grains Bullseye with a card wad or gas check (in the old days the gas check was cheap - not any more!) over powder followed by pouring in however much shot would fit. I use mostly reclaimed shot from the gun club as it was CHEAP. Top off with another gas check crimped in place, right side up or not doesn't matter.

The real trick to all of these shot loads is a short barrel. That Derringer is maybe 1 1/2" and my .44 Spl, loaded the same way, is the Charter Bulldog with a 3" barrel.

Shot loads is all I carry in the Derringer, and the Bulldog has a shot load first up followed by solid shot for the 2 legged "snakes":roll: we sometimes encounter.

Lead pot
10-24-2008, 06:06 PM
http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm
I have one of these, there good medicine.

beagle
10-24-2008, 08:03 PM
I kind of get tired of switching shot loads around so my snake recipe here on the farm is 2 ball .38 Special loads in my Blackhawk .357. This is two .360" round balls in a .38 case. Still devestating at 25 yards and "minute of cat" at 50 yards and death on snakes close up./beagle

Charley
10-24-2008, 11:41 PM
In the .44 Mag, you can use either .303 or .30/40 Krag brass and make cylinder length shotshells. More shot, better patterns.

Bill B.
10-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Snake loads work the best for me when I cut the wads out of the malted milk ball cartons. They are sorta waxed and the paper is very heavy. I have a wad punch for .45 cal rifles, so wad cutting is easy. SHOT; I have used #9 for yrs, but finally got a 10# bag of #12 from Midway USA, that is the ultimate snake stopper. Bar none, if you every use #12 you will see the snake just hangs like a rope after being killed with a load of #12. I normally use 700X powder and seat the wads tight on the powder with a 3/8" piece of wood dowell. Then use the regular seat die with the seating stem back'd out enough to just push the wad into the case so the seat die can finish off with a nice roll crimp, then add some Elmers glue to hold the wad in from recoil, let dry and these loads will shoot as tight a group and are just as effective as the Speer Shot Capsules. I have and do use the Speers also, but for economy, the 2 wax carton wads do the job just as good... BTW, when testing these
snake loads, I shoot at 15 feet, penetration and pattern is very-very good.

Jim
10-26-2008, 05:29 AM
I like my Taurus Judge. 2 rounds of #6s will smoke even the biggest Cottonmouth or Rattler. Mine's got a 4" barrel on it and the 6s pattern to about 12" at about 6 to 8 feet. Just point and click.