PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 Carbine -- Suggested CB deer loads

shaman
05-22-2019, 09:32 AM
I've just received a Ruger 44 Carbine from the estate of my oldest bestest friend.

My idea is to work up a CB load for it and take it out deer hunting this fall. For starters, I have a Lee TL430-240-SWC mold that I use with my Super Blackhawk, but I'm open to ideas. I am versed at powder coating.

What would y'all suggest as a good CB deer round?

00buck
05-22-2019, 09:51 AM
I’m not sure but I think there are gas ports that get clogged up if you use cast lead in those carbines.

Something I remember hearing about

Tom_in_AZ
05-22-2019, 02:19 PM
I don’t have one myself. Was going to get one but was discouraged because it’s not recommended for boolits. Apparently the gas ports clog and are not easy to clean out. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reverend Al
05-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Has anyone tried using powder coated boolits in one of these Ruger 44 carbines?

Forester79
05-22-2019, 05:25 PM
My Ruger carbine is the only gun I own I don't reload for. Yes they are gas opperated and picky about ammo. Never had any luck with it with low velocity pistol loads. My gets fed rem. 240gr jsp

Markopolo
05-22-2019, 05:34 PM
I own one. And cast for it... and have become an expert on tearing it down and keeping the gas port clean... yes lube can lodge in the port.. mine likes the lee 240gr Boolit. No heavies due to the twist rate. I load with H110.. this might not be the popular stance, but It works for me.. You should practice tearing it down and should be able to do it regular. I have never found lead in my gas port. Only lube. It is a great gun. And deadly. I do not powder coat. Yet.

Hope this helps

https://youtu.be/muV5e-3E4Dg

Marko

mehavey
05-22-2019, 09:59 PM
I have never found lead in my gas port. Only lube.Same here -- no lead at all.
Solved the lube problem by using Liq ALOX.

With ALOX, you do not have to have "fully-filled" grooves. In fact (when I use it ) I just put some full strength on my thumb/forefinger
and rotate the bullet/grooves between them -- usually 2-4 bullets per finger-full.
Throw them into a slightly-warm oven on a plate and when dry -- VERY thin coat that way. Almost imperceptible.

Accurate 43-265MG RNFP-GC (http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-265MG-D.png)(#2)size 0.430"/Vihtavuori N110/19.2gr/Fed LrgPstlMag
QL~29,663psi/1,720fps (Oehler) ---> Dependable 1-1/2 to 2" at 100yds

Forrest r
05-23-2019, 03:15 AM
Had a couple of those ruger carbines over the decades. Was the rifle of choice when we hog hunted in the everglades.

I never had a problem shooting cast bullets in them. Back then I used cast/lubed bullets (429421) and kept the gas plug hole clean. I used to use 2 different plugs, 1 for 44mag loads (factory) and a second plug for the 44spl's. I bought a 2nd plug and drilled the gas port hole out larger so I could use/shoot 44spl's in it also. You'll know when the gas plug port needs cleaned, the rifle will start short stroking/FTF's.

Pc'd bullets would be the cat's meow in those ruger carbines. Any medium to heavy load with several powders will work. I'd be looking for accuracy 1st, that long bbl will give pretty good velocity even with medium loads.

shaman
05-23-2019, 05:16 AM
I'm kind of thinking I'll experiment with powder coating and see how it goes. It won't harm the gun; just foul up the gas port, and then I'll know.

Just checking: with a 240 grainer, I won't have to use a GC, right?

mehavey
05-23-2019, 07:28 AM
with a 240 grainer, I won't have to use a GC, right?No matter what, I'd use a gas check in a gas-ported barrel. Not only do the pressures req'd to funtion the action demand it, but the trailing edge of the bullet is where any softening from the heat/pressure is going to be bad juju when it passes over that port.

Tripplebeards
05-23-2019, 07:56 AM
I own one as well never tried cast in it yet. I'll PC mine before I try it to keep it from leading. All I can tell you is my trigger is horrible. It pulls like a Mack truck stuck in the mud. Wish someone had a replacement trigger or someone on YouTube would show how to lighten it.

I will try some of my PC GC Lyman devastators through it eventually.

Markopolo
05-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Wow... that surprises me about your trigger TB...

Tripplebeards
05-23-2019, 09:22 AM
I'm going to eventually figure out how take it apart and do some polishing on it.

Forrest r
05-23-2019, 06:46 PM
I never had any issues using plain based Keith style 429421 swc's in any of the 3 different ruger carbines I owned. Never had any issues with leading, I'd run 200/250 cast/lubed bullets thru them & clean everything. You don't need full house loads to get those ruger carbines to function either. Used to run those lyman 429421's in the +/- 1600fps range with 2400 in the carbines. Plenty accurate and more than enough smack for deer.

You want to see a real eye opener???
Run some full house loads (27.5gr h110) in that carbine using either the cramer #142 (220gr Thompson design gc swc) or the lyman equivalent 429215. You'll be in the 1900fps+ range with that combo.

lotech
05-24-2019, 09:08 AM
I've had two of these; one I bought new about 1975, the other was a used gun, I believe from the '60s. I shot conventionally lubed cast bullets in each. As I recall, I think I used the 240 SWC gas check design from RCBS. To function through the Ruger magazine, I had to seat this bullet deeper than I did for revolver use. Never had functioning problems and never cleaned the gas ports, though maybe it would have eventually been necessary. I don't remember splendid accuracy form either of my guns and perhaps that was my fault, but they probably would have worked okay for 100 yard deer hunting.

shaman
05-24-2019, 09:54 AM
What would y'all think of the Lee C429-240-SWC GC'd and PC'd?

Markopolo
05-24-2019, 10:11 AM
That’s the one I use...

Tripplebeards
05-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Thanks to Marko’s video link I took my trigger apart today and polished it. It went from a good 7/8 lbs, if I had to guess, to now breaking consistently at a crisp 64 ounces and doesn’t even feel that heavy! Feels more like 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. Time to light it up!!!

Tripplebeards
05-24-2019, 08:36 PM
What would y'all think of the Lee C429-240-SWC GC'd and PC'd?

I have the HP mold. I tried them PC and GC out of my 77/44. Accuracy was far from acceptable. The current solid version I’m sure dose a lot better. I’ve had outstanding accuracy with Lyman devastors out of the same rifle. I’ll have to try them in the Carbine.

I haven’t slugged it yet. What has been the average slugged diameter on the 44 carbines?

Markopolo
05-24-2019, 11:30 PM
Thanks TB.. mine slugs at 429 thank God...

Here is the video in question with complete trigger disassembly. Trigger portion starts at around 10 min..

https://youtu.be/GXaQ5Qm9_Qw

Marko..

Tom_in_AZ
05-25-2019, 12:50 AM
I own one. And cast for it... and have become an expert on tearing it down and keeping the gas port clean... yes lube can lodge in the port.. mine likes the lee 240gr Boolit. No heavies due to the twist rate. I load with H110.. this might not be the popular stance, but It works for me.. You should practice tearing it down and should be able to do it regular. I have never found lead in my gas port. Only lube. It is a great gun. And deadly. I do not powder coat. Yet.

Hope this helps

Marko

Great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
05-25-2019, 07:18 AM
The second video posted is the ticket! I’ve been wanting to tackle my trigger since I bought it and could never find any disassembly diagrams, or information on it. That video was posted last week. Apparently he knew that as well. I found an easier way to remove the spring he pulled out with the pliers. Mine wouldn’t come out so I removed a pin that the part in front of was held on with. Everything just fell our loosely. I used a pliers to compress that same spring it a little to reinsert the pin when reinstalling. I did this before installing the part it was compressed against. Worked great. The tow outer springs were a little challenging to figure out where the inside springs lined up when reinstalling as well but I figured it out. From all the videos I’ve been watching most shooters claim they have a 5.5 lb to 6 lb trigger pull. Best thing I ever did was take that thing apart to polish it. It’s definitely worlds of difference now and a usable hunting rifle with the light pull where before it was was a novelty gun IMO. Can’t wait to wack a deer with it.

I would assume I cannot use a foaming bore cleaner in this rifle since it would clog up the gas port? I tried foaming bore cleaner in my ARs for the same reason.

Markopolo
05-25-2019, 09:37 AM
I dont have any idea about that foaming bore cleaner.. don’t have it here and can’t get it shipped air...

Have you settled on a load yet??? Mine cycles good at around 20g of 110.. I forget where the cycle point is with 2400... need to check my notes..

Tripplebeards
05-26-2019, 07:10 AM
I’m staying away from the foam. It gunks up if you don’t get it all out. No loads for mine yet either. Shot mine about five times and was disgusted with the horrible trigger pull so it’s been sitting ever since until I could figure out how to do trigger work on it, so I’m in the same game as the op.

JAMESGR
05-26-2019, 09:22 PM
Tripplebeards, Google Ruger 44 magnum rifle disassembly the first sight below the videos is ALLOUTDOORS.COM they have the complete disassembly instructions for the rifle. Runs 6 pgs on the web sight. I just printed a copy ran 17 pgs. paper. Hope this helps.

Tripplebeards
05-28-2019, 10:32 PM
Can you post the above link? I mounted a VX1 2x7 with some PRW mounts I had laying around along with cleaning the barrel today so I'm ready to do some testing.

Rick Hodges
05-30-2019, 12:12 PM
I have always loved the way the Ruger 44 carbines handled, but have never seen one that was accurate at all.....they made the Mini-14's look like benchrest guns. I have had experience with two of them and neither would keep 5 shots on a piece of letter stationary at 50 yards with factory ammo. I literally won a dinner shooting against my buddy with his carbine and me with a bow and arrow at 50 yds. He was shooting from a bench. 5"x8" groups at 50 yds. are unacceptable.

I often wondered if I could improve on that...…..decided I had other projects that showed more promise.

Markopolo
05-30-2019, 12:36 PM
Mine does pretty well.. I haven’t experienced any of those issues with mine... I surely love it.

Tripplebeards
05-31-2019, 11:20 PM
Tried mine at 100 yards today for the first time with some flex tips I loaded up. I wasn’t taking my time at all pulling the trigger pretty fast to almost rapidly and was getting fist size groups. I’ll have to pretend it’s a target rifle next trip along with some breath control and slow squeezing to see what it can really do. I could hit a whitetails boiler room at a 100 yards with not a lot of effort I found out today. I let 5 fly through it as fast as I could could pull the trigger. Almost sounded like an automatic. Lol, it’s a beast! There were a couple of old timers at the range scratching their heads...they thought it was a 10/22 till they heard it eat. The observers thought that rifle was the cats meow and never knew such a gun existed.

Markopolo
05-31-2019, 11:32 PM
Really a beast that is for sure.. resist the temptation to just squeeze rapid and start shooting like a bolt action and see if the beast turns into something else. 100 yards is all I ask of mine, and that is all I need.. is yours scoped??? I do want to scope mine.. it’s open sights now.. my problem is I don’t know what sort of bases to use, and I have NO screws that fit those holes for mounting a scope... I have a decent 4x Leopold that I could mount. Just gotta find the screws and bases.

Marko

Tripplebeards
05-31-2019, 11:45 PM
Someone put a weaver type rail on mine and tapped a screw hole in the front of the receiver to mount it. I thought it was a factory set up when I bought it...maybe it is??? It actually looks great like Ruger made it that way. I mounted a leupold VX1 2x7 on it with a set of medium PRW rings I had laying around from my 450 BM American. Yeah, I knew better to only let it rip wide open once just so see but I know it’s impossible to find parts for it so I won’t be doing it again. I just wanted to make sure it functioned properly since I’ve never really had it out. I did video it burning through ammo and bouncing around on my rest while doing so. If I can figure how to post it I will. I know I posted a pic of it here about a year and a half ago for someone so there’s a pic buried of it in a cast boolits long lost post.

Ramson222
05-31-2019, 11:51 PM
If it operates anything like the ar15 then you will need gas checks with your powder coated bullets. With this combination I can run my blackout at 1700-1800fps with no leading. I have fired a little over 1000rnds and have only ever need to use a bore snake and a microfiber cloth for cleaning.

Markopolo
06-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Tripplebeards burning it up!!! Wooooo Hoooo..

https://gunstreamer.com/watch/NuWX2wFKLWBNjTY

W.R.Buchanan
06-01-2019, 06:03 PM
OK; that was fast!

I have the MP version of the Devastator Mould I got in anticipation of the 77/44 that I haven't gotten yet. I always wanted a .44 Ruger Carbine but passed up a nice one with a Leupold 1-4x Variable on it for $625. I sat it back in the rack and someone else snatched it up!

Randy

Markopolo
06-01-2019, 07:42 PM
I don’t think you will hurt the gun shooting it fast like that.. let’s face it, it’s dang fun to throw 240 gr 44 Mags down range at that speed. Kick is very manageable.. but making a habit out of it can seriously deplete lead and powder stash, at least it did to mine...

I did notice mine developed a slight crack in the stock after a particular fun session experimenting with the lee 310 to see if it would stabilize the big lead Boolit, but alas, it was not meant to be. I was running them pretty hard too over Alliant 2400, hoping to get velocity up there a ways to stabilize, but my gun hated them.. and that is when I noticed the crack starting... the action is hardy and rugged, but the wooden stocks seem to be the weak point in that gun... what I wouldn’t do to get a hold of a synthetic stock, and save the old wooden stock. That way it could be a real good Alaskan brush gun.. but I dont want to ruin my wooden stock climbing through the SE Alaska salty rain forest. I did repair the crack, no big deal, but even to replace the stock with a wooden stock at some point they aren’t cheap and only semi Inlet stocks. It is definitely not a summer project finishing the stock to fit. It is something you do in the winter when you got time. I had to fuss and fuss over many days to get a semi inletted stock to ride correctly on my bubba universal .30 carbine.. getting it to slide right.

Something to consider if your gunna ride the gun hard. But they are a real sweet gun in my book.

Tripplebeards
06-01-2019, 10:15 PM
The load I let fly was either 21.3, 21.5, or 21.7 grains of H110 with 225 grain hornady flex tips. Even though I knew it would be hard on the gun I just had to see it eat! All fed and functioned beautiful. I sighted it in with 21.7 grains and only had two left when I zeroed it at a 100 yards. I laid the two shots approx 2” apart of not less. I did look the the stock over before and after to make sure it was ok. I don’t think I’ll shoot any bullets heavier than the hornady 265 grain soft point just because I don’t want to have to cry when my stock cracks. At least I know it’s charging bear medicine!

Tripplebeards
06-01-2019, 10:39 PM
This is a typical 100 yard target from the one Ruger 44RS to which I have access. This particular carbine seems to shoot four to five M.O.A. on the average. Nothing to brag about, but more than adequate for whitetails inside of 100 yards.

Carbine: Ruger 44RS
Cartridge: .44 Remington Magnum
Case: FC
Primer: Federal #150
Powder: IMR4227
Charge: 23.0 Grains
Bullet: RCBS 44-240-SWC
Alloy: 40:1 - Perhaps a tougher alloy may reduce the average a bit.
Diameter: .430"
Gas Check: Hornady, Annealed
Lube: RCBS Alox
Cartridge L.O.A.: 1.675"
Note: Magazine capacity reduced from four to three rounds due to cartridge length.

Sight: Bushnell 3-9 Variable

Target: NRA A14 - 100 Yard Smallbore Target

Range: 100 Yards

Note: No failures to feed nor eject with this load.

Date: April 12, 2019

PB

That’s about what mine did...or worse, before I lightened the trigger to 4 lbs.

Markopolo
06-01-2019, 10:48 PM
I wonder what it would take to get a synthetic stock made for it??? Who would even do it? I know it’s been done before cuz I seen a pic of one once... won’t be long before you send your stock in and can have one 3d printed...

Tripplebeards
06-01-2019, 10:58 PM
I always wondered if I could cobble a 10/22 stock to make it fit? Hogue use to, or maybe still dose offer a bedded over molded stock. I always wanted to see how far off it is. Grind away and pile in a ton of acraglass if needed.

Markopolo
06-01-2019, 11:30 PM
Hey.. check this out..

Some company called MPI custom stocks... might have to look into this..

Tripplebeards
06-02-2019, 12:29 AM
I think I saw those a few years back. I believe they want as much as I paid for my rifle. Think their around $500 plus if I remember.

Markopolo
06-02-2019, 01:18 AM
385 if I read the add right... maybe durring the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend time in October... can you believe they pay us to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth?

I would probably consider paying 400 bucks in a useful gun like this.. especially if it meant we could climb through salty brush around here.. what a great brush gun it would be then, no different then paying for good optics really.. I paid 400 for the gun originally.. only thing that keeps it from going behind the seat in the truck is the stock.

Tripplebeards
06-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Keep me posted!

Markopolo
06-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Interesting how I talk myself right into that isn’t it??? LMAO [smilie=l:

Texas by God
06-02-2019, 11:07 AM
The one I had would shoot factory 240 jsp into 6" @ 100yds while my Super Blackhawk would do 4" with the same ammo. It was fun to shoot and carry but so is a lever action 30-30 so I kept the 94 Win.- it was twice as accurate with more range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MOA
06-02-2019, 11:07 AM

Hope this helps

Marko

Marko, is your 44 the first or second generation Ruger?

Jedman
06-02-2019, 11:13 AM
This is mine, I bought it back in the 1970's and just for the heck of it made and installed a muzzle brake and did the checkering on the stock. Mine is 1 1/2 to 2" accurate at 100 yards. I have heard of others tell me there's shoot 5-6" groups ? If mine was like that it would have been sold quick. I only shot a few cast through it but it seemed to shoot about the same as 240 gr. Jacketed.
Funny thing is I have only killed a couple deer with it but have let several friends use it plus my nephew and together they have killed twice as much game with it as I have.
I really like the gun but usually prefer to hunt with a single shot.

Jedman

Drm50
06-02-2019, 11:36 AM
I bought one new in late 60s and didn't really like it for two reasons. First being that at 60yds it would only do 3" groups. Second it bailed my brass over the hill. I didn't have any function problems and was shooting 240JHPs up and down the scale with 2400. I have since bought several off individuals that had them salted away because they were having function troubles. In every case they were owned by guys who were shooting cheapest 44mg ammo, lead SWCs and mostly Remington. In every case all that was required was to strip them down and give them a complete cleaning. I don't know how much you can blame lead bullets, they may have contributed. The reason I saw for malfunctions was failure to clean properly and the use of sprays such as aWD. These guns looked brand new, they weren't abused and had low round counts. I've seen the same thing with auto loading shotguns. The owners will keep them spic and span but never tear the gun down and after years of solvents and spray lubes the running gears are going to get gummed up no matter what make it is.

Tripplebeards
06-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Heres mine with a different optic I removed. Someone painted the front of the stock black to cover up a filled in botched screws hole. I’m guessing they mounted a sling there at one time? It also has a national rifle federation medallion in the stock. Kinda like the last year of production medallion look. I would assume it was a banquet gun? I bought if off gunbroker for around $480 or $520 a few years ago, don’t remember the exact price, but it was the cleanest looking one I saw listed for some time. All the internal parts looked like new when I stripped it down to inspect and almost no copper in the barrel came out when I cleaned it. Im guessing it wasn’t shot hardly at all. The nice wood sod me on it. Mine was made in 82’ if I recall. About a week later I saw the fancy cheek weld sporter stocked version at cabelas for $600. I almost bought it but passed as I ended up grabbing a new 77/44 because of Ruger’s lie saying they were discontinuing it. You can kind of see my scope rail. It uses the rear factory holes and someone, or Ruger must have tapped the other hole in the front of the base. It reminds me of a price leader weaver rail or something Ruger would have added similar to the current Ruger American factory base.

After the first time I fired all of four rounds through it I put it away because the horrible trigger pull so I know why most have large groups from the hard triggers in these little get rifles. Then I started playing with cast on my 77/44. I found two cast load combos that shoot sub MOA at 100 yards with the bolt so I forgot about my Carbine till this post the other day and had to give the trigger some attention dropping it to a 4 lb pull. The lighter pull definitely was an improvement on my group sizes.

http://i.imgur.com/UcnbdE3.jpg

I always got a kick out of this add...PETA would go wild over this one.

http://i.imgur.com/HKJtSOd.jpg

The one thing I have to add is I see a lot of videos of guys getting fail to fires once in a while. I believe a lot of people, like I was till I saw the videos above, were and are afraid to tear them down for cleaning and the grime build up is causing all the issues. Mine functions flawlessly.

Markopolo
06-02-2019, 12:01 PM
@MOA... it’s not me or mine in that video sir. I just used it as reference.

But mine is a post deerstalker name, and just called a 44 carbine. Dated 1964... according to sn

MOA
06-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Marko, I never even heard of these carbines up until the early 2000's. Never saw one in any of the gun shops I ever worked in and there were plenty of them over the years, but when I heard a friend of mine say he had been looking for a carbine that Ruger had made back in the sixties and then again in the late seventies or early eighties but stopped making them again I kind of got interested in it myself since I was using a long barreled Smith to hunt with in that caliber. I started looking and was able to locate one up in MI. This one was very clean and I don't think it saw much use and it even still had the leather wrap around strip that protects the scope tube from the flying brass as it gets spit from the action. I was a lucky guy to find it, they are hard to find these days. I have use a few PC'd cast boolits in mine. No lube, and gas checked. Loaded up to just about max with this 205gr spire point profile that I also use in the Smith.

https://i.postimg.cc/qBZ3mkHm/20190101-090508.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Overlooking a grass belt here in the Southern state of Alabama. Neither Deer or Hog has a good chance of getting away if I do my part.

https://i.postimg.cc/g0mmdv7c/Photo0254.jpg (https://postimg.cc/BjYdB1sR)

Markopolo
06-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Yours is a later version with clip I see.... those look like the Lyman 429303av isn’t it???

Texas by God
06-02-2019, 05:14 PM
MOA- yours is the short lived Ruger Deerfield Carbine- not the original pattern 44 carbine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
06-02-2019, 05:37 PM
MOA, yours is the 2nd run/try at Rugers 44 mag semi auto. Mine is basically the same as the 10/22 as far as looks, function, and weight wise. The first gen was made from 1961 to 1983 or 1984. It’s what the 10/22 was based on. The 10/22 lived on and the 44 carbine didn’t. Yours is based off the mini 14. I’m in the market for one of your 44 deer field carbine models as well. Just haven’t run into a decently priced one yet. Your model was made for about 6 years, 2000 to 2006. Never took off and was discontinued. I need one to keep mine company.

cainttype
06-02-2019, 06:22 PM
I’ve owned several Ruger 44 carbines, still have two, but did not like the rotary mags they used in the mid-nineties for the lever action or the Mini-14 variant. I’ve seen failures to feed when a rim got caught behind the rim of the next cartridge in the mag.
I always wished (and would own at least a couple) they had chosen the 45 Winchester Magnum for the Mini-14 experiment. Rimless is always preferable in a mag like that, and the choices in .451” mould options are plentiful... A guy can always wish.

MOA
06-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Yours is a later version with clip I see.... those look like the Lyman 429303av isn’t it???

That is correct Marko.

https://i.postimg.cc/pdCCpXQ5/20180614_142005.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4KKV0GSX)

https://i.postimg.cc/6pdYxhy0/20180614_141502.jpg (https://postimg.cc/3kxggmj4)

https://i.postimg.cc/pd0zynK9/20180622-110554.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gwZnTjSd)

https://i.postimg.cc/RFFxBTFT/20190524-112321.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rdvPGx5d)

MOA
06-02-2019, 07:26 PM
Yes TbG, it incorporated design elements from the mini 14's engineering.

MOA
06-02-2019, 07:33 PM
MOA, yours is the 2nd run/try at Rugers 44 mag semi auto. Mine is basically the same as the 10/22 as far as looks, function, and weight wise. The first gen was made from 1961 to 1983 or 1984. It’s what the 10/22 was based on. The 10/22 lived on and the 44 carbine didn’t. Yours is based off the mini 14. I’m in the market for one of your 44 deer field carbine models as well. Just haven’t run into a decently priced one yet. Your model was made for about 6 years, 2000 to 2006. Never took off and was discontinued. I need one to keep mine company.

Well keep up the looking, this one was not cheap, but I knew they were going to be hard to find and the price would be going up and not down as time went on so I bit the boolit and got it and glad I did. No regrets whatsoever. But, it is wicked loud. When I hunt I bought some electronic ear plugs that cut off the hi decibels upon firing. First time my ears didn't stop ringing for twenty minutes. Yikes.

Markopolo
06-02-2019, 07:57 PM
MOA, your gun has the advantage to shoot those av’s.. I played around with them a bunch in my 44 revolvers, and they were fun!!!

MOA
06-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Marko, I just love these boolits. I remember years ago when I had picked up a copy of a Lyman reloading manual from cornell printing and it had a two page write up about the designer and the lab and field tests done on this new designed cast boolit. I knew right them I wanted to locate this mold if at all possible, and I new it would not be one to easily find. So after a long time I saw this mold on sale in ebay and could not believe it also had a buy it button, no waiting or bidding for me. I hit that button and within a week I had the mold and the handles too. I knew I would be using this in the carbine too since it had the rotary magazine it would be a sweet combo to be used hunting and also carrying the Smith in my crossdraw holster also, both loaded with the same cartridge, and now, I had a super boolit to load for it too. Ye Hah.

Markopolo
06-02-2019, 11:12 PM
I think I got some of them around here.. I have had tons of fun with them...

but I dont paint mine...lol

And maybe this is the article in question about the designer??? It also got me all fired up...

44Blam
06-03-2019, 01:12 AM
If you want heavy loads, I have been playing around with AA #11FS and it drives a big boolit pretty darn fast... Faster than W296...

MOA
06-04-2019, 05:06 AM
Marko, that's the article that did it for me too.

Forester79
06-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Do any of you have a 44 carbine with no mag tube release. Mine is an early production with a blade front site with a white insert. No release button on the tube. Makes it a pain to unload as the rounds need to be cycled through the action.

Tripplebeards
06-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Do any of you have a 44 carbine with no mag tube release. Mine is an early production with a blade front site with a white insert. No release button on the tube. Makes it a pain to unload as the rounds need to be cycled through the action.

Didn’t know there was a release?

I saw an a promo that Lyman reintroduced the mold again this year. I might have to pick one up.

Markopolo
06-04-2019, 09:14 AM
Mine doesn’t have a release.... that mold is fun in a revolver or something with a clip, but spells disaster for tube fed guns like mine.

Tripplebeards
06-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I’d run them in my 77/44, andaconda, and S&W 329 nite guard...but not the carbine.

Should change my user name to 4,44’s.lol

Markopolo
06-04-2019, 11:25 PM
Well, using your logic, Maybe you should define what tripple beards means.... LOL do you actually have 3 beards??? One on your face, and one on the palm of each of your hands??? I double dog dare you to put a pic up to show them 3 beards.:kidding: and don’t even try to tell us it’s some Bird Story... lol

Tripplebeards
06-05-2019, 08:09 AM
I shot a 26 lb turkey with three beards back in the early 90’s...think around 93’ or 94’, when I first started on some forums. Back when it wasn’t common to yet to hear or see them with multiple beards.
You got your bird story...lol