PDA

View Full Version : Suggest ant traps

wch
05-20-2019, 06:52 PM
We've had a lot of rain and now we have ants moving inside to stay dry.
Do you have any suggestions for traps or bait to put into a crawl space?
I have some granules that I put around the foundation that seem ti work well but I can't get them under my house.
Thanks.

Winger Ed.
05-20-2019, 07:39 PM
I use Orthene fire ant killer. It works the best of anything I've found for any kind of ant.

It comes as a powder that looks like powdered sugar.
When they find it and take it back to their nest- they all die.

You can find it at any Home Dept./Lowe's type place.
It's in the garden section along their 'death row'.

All fire ants must die !!

gmsharps
05-20-2019, 07:55 PM
I agree Orthene really works. Just follow the directions. You do not have to use a lot.

gmsharps

tradbear55
05-20-2019, 08:16 PM
Powdered sugar mixed with borax soap. Works same as Ortho ant killer.

bmortell
05-20-2019, 08:52 PM
theres a species of fungus being looked at for removing ants, they eat it thinking its food but not realizing that They are the food, grow a mushroom out of their head. then the others run away in horror or something to that effect. think there waiting on approval to sell

Winger Ed.
05-20-2019, 08:56 PM
theres a species of fungus being looked at for removing ants, they eat it thinking its food but not realizing that They are the food, grow a mushroom out of their head. then the others run away in horror or something to that effect. think there waiting on approval to sell

How cool is that !

That would be more fun to see than chasing them around with a magnifying glass in the Summer.

fiberoptik
05-20-2019, 10:14 PM
Nah, not more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1911sw45
05-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Toro is great too. they take it back to the nest and kills the whole nest

MrWolf
05-21-2019, 10:12 AM
I just tried Terro the other day. They were coming from crawl space into bathroom. Was like an invasion coming under the whirlpool tub. Kept spraying ant spray around floor edges and would find about 30+ dead. Did that twice before I used the liguid bait. Time will tell.

RogerDat
05-21-2019, 10:20 AM
I have used Terro a few times. Safe for pets, as long as not put out in massive quantities. Since the ants only need a small round dollop the size of a pencil eraser that works well for those of us with pets. Plus I can usually find a place to put it where dogs can't get to it.

As long as the ants find the bait and swarm it to take back to the nest as food you will wipe them out. Usually takes two applications. It is almost like the eggs or something hatch after the first die off and there is a second smaller wave a few days after I first stop seeing them at the bait.

RogerDat
05-21-2019, 10:27 AM
There is a fly that lays its eggs in fire ants, not only does this kill the fire ants but even the presence of the flies causes the fire ant colony to not spread out as far or seek new territory as aggressively. They know that the flies mean death and get timid for lack of a better word.

https://articles.extension.org/pages/30546/natural-enemies-of-fire-ants Information including how to arrange to get some of the flies. But mostly just go and watch the video they have of a fly hitting a fire ant to lay eggs. The ant knows bad bad stuff is happening but....

Only problem is much of the fire ant population is in arid or semi-arid areas, the ants being underground are more drought tolerant than the flies who will often die off in a protracted hot dry spell. In places such as homes where people water lawn or plants outside the flies can survive. Or in more tropical climes such as along the Gulf Coast.

1911sw45
05-21-2019, 10:45 AM
I use the liquid baits. works very well and use the toro gandules around the outside

popper
05-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Most ant bait works until it gets wet. I put some Amdro granules where they come inside and they haven't been back for years. When it gets dry, Sevin will kill all pests in the yard.

CastingFool
05-26-2019, 05:05 PM
I use Spectricide ant killer. It's a spray and is good for months indoors. Kills carpenter ants, ticks and a bunch more

Adam20
05-26-2019, 05:42 PM
I use pesticide called tempo it comes in a concentrat. Safe indoors and out after it dries. Makes 30 gallons for $40 (read directions before use)

Goatwhiskers
05-26-2019, 06:49 PM
I normally use Bengal brand ant and roach spray. For either when they walk across the band you sprayed they pick it up on their feet, toxic as hxxx to them. There also seems to be a fumigant effect. You might think you have no roaches but fog it into a closet and tomorrow you got roaches on their back in the middle of the floor. GW

Conditor22
05-26-2019, 08:00 PM
1 part borax with either 2 parts PB or honey depending on the ant's

WheelgunConvert
05-27-2019, 06:18 PM
Orthene is very effective for ground yellow jacket infested ant holes (off label use). Tape a cup to a pole and a couple tbsp in and around the entrance. Next day, problem resolved.