PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1887 38-40 lever action on E-BAY?????

oldred
05-20-2019, 04:15 PM
I had to check that listing again to be sure but yep there it is (unless I am overlooking something???) a complete and functioning Marlin 1887 38-40 with an octagon barrel for sale on E-Bay! It ain't cheap but still a rifle on E-Bay, I thought they forbid selling evil items such as guns but there it is. I think it may be against the forum rules to post a link to an E-Bay auction but going to the E-Bay site and searching "Marlin 1887" should find it.

koehn,jim
05-20-2019, 05:18 PM
Its still there, I have bought several gun parts off ebay.

sparky45
05-20-2019, 05:37 PM
It does list the seller as a SPONSOR if that makes a difference. Still up @ 4:30 cst.

oldred
05-20-2019, 06:20 PM
Its still there, I have bought several gun parts off ebay.

Yep they allow just about any gun parts except for receivers and occasionally even those are listed, the seller usually calls it something besides a receiver however. There for a while they even banned the sale of barrels and loading components although they never did allow powder or primers but bullets and brass were ok. Then they banned barrels and anything that comes out of a barrel and any components used to make up ammunition including brass cases, then not too long ago at all they loosened the restrictions and started allowing barrels again but kept the ban on anything that makes up ammo. Not sure what's happening now but I also see a listing for a full box of 38-55 ammo in a Winchester commemorative edition, full box of nickel plated brass ammo with a special headstamp and box markings, perhaps there is some sort of exceptions for some types of ammo or maybe they are easing up on the restrictions?

waksupi
05-21-2019, 12:07 PM
I found you can buy every part you need to build a Trapdoor Springfield, for about the total you would spend on a complete rifle.

DCP
05-21-2019, 12:32 PM
still there

oldred
05-21-2019, 12:46 PM
I found you can buy every part you need to build a Trapdoor Springfield, for about the total you would spend on a complete rifle.

Good timing there mentioning that Trapdoor since just a few minutes ago I came across a Trapdoor receiver! There are a bunch of breechblocks and most everything else but as of now only that one receiver (50/70), has about 6 hours left on the auction with only 2 bids and up to a give-away price of $20.50 plus $5.00 shipping if no one else bids on it. It looks to be in really good condition but has been nickel plated.

Perhaps the powers-that-be at E-Bay have come to their senses and eased up a bit on the restrictions??? It may be that now they will allow pre-1898 antique stuff and if so that would really be good!

LUBEDUDE
05-21-2019, 12:51 PM
Somebody is going to get their eBay and PayPal account frozen.

Or...

Maybe they are fishing for evil takers, i.e., set up?

corbinace
05-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Is 38-40 considered an obsolete cartridge? No mention of FFL.

The ATF says in order to be exempt it must; use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

LUBEDUDE
05-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Ammo is still readily available. Now the rifle being an antique does not require an FFL.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190521/3ee279a1c262d0ae54557b97a84aacff.jpg

oldred
05-21-2019, 02:33 PM
Maybe they are fishing for evil takers, i.e., set up?

I seriously doubt it because nothing would be illegal about the purchase of that rifle, the commemorative ammo or that Trapdoor receiver, all of those can be bought/sold legally without involving the BATF. Local laws may be a different story however but a local jurisdiction would be highly unlikely to make a nation wide offer as a local trap. Not sure if this is something that has slipped by their beady eyed watch dogs or just that they may have loosened their regulations to allow legal antique stuff like that rifle and the Trapdoor receiver which they can legally allow if they are of a mind to.

Ok I can certainly understand why they would not allow items that require the proper BATF forms, background check, etc and it probably also makes sense not to allow fully functional pre-1898 firearms even if they are technically classified as antiques but cast bullets, etc and maybe even live ammo I would like to see allowed. There for a long time bullets, brass, etc was allowed but then they got all upset by the pressure from the do-gooder anti-gunners and forbid those sales. Not sure why they started allowing barrels again but it's a good start and maybe things are not so tight anymore?

oldred
05-21-2019, 08:10 PM
Well the Trapdoor receiver sold for $27.00 plus $5.00 shipping.

Tripplebeards
05-21-2019, 09:23 PM
It’s still there...for $2100

The seller only has 25 transactions so they either don’t know better, or care, or have been banned recently, and restarted a new account.

oldred
05-21-2019, 09:37 PM
I checked his info and he has been there since 2005, looks like only 3 transactions in the last year but his feedback shows quite a bit of activity from before a year ago. He's no newbi and it's going to be interesting to see if that thing sells or not, usually if you see a banned item listed it gets removed in no more than a few hours and sometimes just a few minutes.

john.k
05-22-2019, 12:02 AM
Maybe it hasnt been spotted by gunhaters yet,and protested.......Im sure ebay dont actually care if you sold a nuclear device,provided they get their 10%...and 4% for PP..............funny thing is people protest obvious cons like pictures lifted from prior sales,and get no action .Or if they do,the pic and ad pops up again a few hours later.

corbinace
05-22-2019, 12:48 AM
If you look at the ad closely, you will see it has been up since January 2019 at least.

oldred
05-23-2019, 09:17 PM
Well as I suspected it got taken down, it just disappeared from my watch list without a trace and I can't find a listing for it anymore no matter what search terms I use. It obviously didn't sell or it would still be in my watch list but just no longer available, they caught it apparently but it sure took a long time. Certainly would have been neat if they were allowing pre-1898 antiques but realistically I can understand why they don't.