PDA

View Full Version : Pesole

waksupi
12-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Here's a good early dish, using some modern ingredients. You could have had something real similar in Santa Fe or Taos, way back when. The only caveat, is all are restricted from bringing this to the pot luck at our spring or fall shoots. Otherwise, what would I bring?!!

I like to do this in a Dutch oven. (Of course!)

Two lbs. sausage, brown and drain.

Add three cans of drained white hominy, stir together with the sausage.

Add two jars of Picante or Salsa, with cilantro.

Stir together, bring to simmer for a few minutes, and dinner is ready.

Takes 15-20 minutes.

Try it, you'll like it!

DwarvenChef
12-08-2005, 02:44 AM
Pesole is a favorite for me as well, but I have been banned from making it at home as I tend to get a bit crazy with the chile. But ohhh sooo goood :bigsmyl2:

trooperdan
12-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Like what kind of sausage? What size cans? Maybe brand names would be helpful as well.

C1PNR
12-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah, Ric, is that three #10 cans of hominy?:shock: I'd think maybe a little more Venison sausage might be in order.;)

I think I have one of the more complicated Posole recipes around, dating back to my days in Spanish California. I love both the Posole and Menudo.

I used to buy the Menudo by the quart on a Friday night, just before the neighborhood Mexican Restaurant closed. They made it ahead for Saturday and Sunday sales only. They usually wouldn't sell it until after 8:30 PM, but sometimes I'd go over a little early and eat the gratis homemade tortilla chips and HOT salsa with my Negra Modelo (or two).

I don't miss a lot about PDRK, but the ethnic food is certainly one thing I really do miss.:( And, of course, a lot of really nice people!

waksupi
12-08-2005, 09:08 PM
14.5 oz. cans. I use the cheapy breakfast type sausage, that comes in the little chub packages.

Slowpoke
12-08-2005, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=waksupi]Here's a good early dish, using some modern ingredients. You could have had something real similar in Santa Fe or Taos, way back when. The only caveat, is all are restricted from bringing this to the pot luck at our spring or fall shoots. Otherwise, what would I bring?!!

Good grief, reminds me of that commercial NEW YORK CITY, get a rope.

All in fun, might even taste good. :)

When I hear pesole, my memory takes over and I see a large stock pot simmering slowly out in the yard on top of mesquite coals it contains two fresh pork shoulders, eight large onions, a large handful of garlic cloves, a cup and a half of fresh ground red Chile powder , salt and cumin. Its been simmering for about eight hrs and it's time to add the 3 gallons of nixtamal Spel.?(Mexican style hominy) and in another 5 hrs it will be ready to eat. Fill up a big bowl add some fresh chopped cilantro and pass the home made tortilla's please

Trooper Dan
For the Mexican hominy about the best you are going to find in the Mid Alantic area is Juanita's brand in the can.

wills
12-08-2005, 10:39 PM
That sounds GOOD.

Incidentally it appears it is no longer possible to get decent picante sauce.

sundog
12-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Ric, had it for dinner this evening as it was "Mexican" night. Tacos, refired beans, 'Spanish' Rice, etc. Big hit. Really good rolled up in a flour tortilla... I'd had it before but never made it, so I did it per your recipe. Quick, easy, tasty! Got some for tomorrow and some for work Monday. It's a 'keeper'. I used Pace brand, one jar mild, one jar medium (can't do hot stuff in my house) and came out good. Thought I was gonna have to add some more moisture, but as it simmered down, covered, low heat, it was okay. Of course, meat was drained off good before contining. Yea. It's a keeper. Thanks for the recipe. sundog

p.s. This stuff would make a good breakfast burrito.....

edit: btw, the Pace Picanti I used was the "Cilantro" style. Clearly marked on the lable.

45 2.1
12-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Whats the size of the salsa jars?

Scrounger
12-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Ric, had it for dinner this evening as it was "Mexican" night. Tacos, refired beans, 'Spanish' Rice, etc. Big hit. Really good rolled up in a flour tortilla... I'd had it before but never made it, so I did it per your recipe. Quick, easy, tasty! Got some for tomorrow and some for work Monday. It's a 'keeper'. I used Pace brand, one jar mild, one jar medium (can't do hot stuff in my house) and came out good. Thought I was gonna have to add some more moisture, but as it simmered down, covered, low heat, it was okay. Of course, meat was drained off good before contining. Yea. It's a keeper. Thanks for the recipe. sundog

p.s. This stuff would make a good breakfast burrito.....

edit: btw, the Pace Picanti I used was the "Cilantro" style. Clearly marked on the lable.

You'll really like CarpetMan's Gato Pesole then. Ask him for the recipe...

sundog
12-10-2005, 10:08 PM
45, 16-oz jars. Makes enough for more than several normal people. Especially if there are other things to go with it like tacos, rice, beans, tortillas, etc. Alone? Maybe 2 hungry bears. I kinda thought the tortillas went purdy good with it. sundog

sundog
12-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Scrounger, gotta shot and skin'em first? I'm thinkin' the HOT picanti would be appropriate in that case.... sundog

Johnch
12-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Looks so good I think I will get some Venson sausage out of the freezer and make up a batch for Sun dinner.
I think I will add HOT salsa
I like self heating foods or twice hot foods , in and out . [smilie=l:

Johnch

waksupi
12-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Corky, that is what I use in my picante mix. Others like hot, some like mild, so they just have to pick thier own poison. glad you liked it.

PatMarlin
12-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Don't have any sausage, and just some good venison in the freezer., and I can't eat pork cause it makes my stomac upset.

How can I use that venison with your recipie? Sounds so good and I LOVE hominy!!

Scrounger
12-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Don't have any sausage, and just some good venison in the freezer., and I can't eat pork cause it makes my stomac upset.

How can I use that venison with your recipie? Sounds so good and I LOVE hominy!!

"Sausage" is a generic term for almost any mixture of ground meat and spices and anything else you want to put in it. We generally think of it as 'pork sausage' because it's root word stem is from the German word for boar or pig, 'sau'. A lot of guys do make venison sausage, using the ground venison (consider adding some fat if it is too lean) and pepper, garlic, sage, whatever they like. Chiles come to mind. Go for it!

sundog
12-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Well, I thought I was gonna have some to take to work for the boys tomorrow. Daughter, SIL, and granddaughter came back from taking Mrs Sundog Christmas shopping and SIL walked in grinning ear-to-ear carry a bag of tortillas. Short of it is that we heated up what was left from last night, quite a bit, and chowed down. That in between casting and shooting the new 326-175-FN. Life don't get to much better! I've been thinking that depending on the spices and keeping the meat from drying out during the process, venison would be perfect for this. Maybe half sausage, half venison. That's one of my favorite ways to make chili, too, half and half.

Ric, it's already been requested for a Christmas Eve add on to the menu. That don't hurt my feelings too much. Been a long time since I had had it and this easy way to fix it is purdy good! Pot's empty, washed, and already put away - for next time. sundog

woody1
12-11-2005, 11:21 PM
I made a batch of Ric's recipe tonite for my wife and I. I used half home grown pig sausage and half deer burger that's about 20% bacon trimmings. Dang good stuff. Thanks Ric. Woody

Lee
10-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Its gettin' to be that time of year again. I like this dish in the cool/cold weather months. Sumthin' that sticks to your bones.
Made a batch last week at work. Went fast, no leftovers.
Most excellent with cornbread as a side dish!
Any one who does meals with co-workers...gotta try this.
Already have requests and demands for the next batch.
This is one must try recipe..............Period.
Thanks, Waksupi!
....................................Lee:)

montana_charlie
10-23-2006, 01:15 PM
waksupi's recipe calls for cans of drained white hominy.

It's even better (and more authentic) if you buy 'posole corn' (or menudo corn). It has a certain amount of seasoning soaked right into it. We found a supermarket (some years ago) that sold it, dry, in one pound bags...so we bought a case of it.
(BTW, that was an Albertson's store, and the corn comes from Casados Farms, Box 852, San Juan Pueblo, N.M. 87566;
Ph. 505-852-2433)

As for 'meat', it is most common to use a pork roast (the Aztecs used human flesh), simmered for about half a day, to flavor the mix...let it cool so you can skim out most of the 'grease' and reduce the roast to bite-sized chunks...then heat back up to serve.
But (kinda like with ham in pinto beans) it is a corn dish...not a meat dish. So a little meat goes a long way.

The spice blend in good posole is important, but it is typically a 'rich' flavor, not a 'hot' one. After all, it has a tradition of being what you serve to Christmas carollers to warm them up. You wouldn't want to sear their throats with 'hot sauce'...so they couldn't sing.

While posole is not 'soup', I like a generous amount of 'pot liquor' for dunking a rolled up flour tortilla in. Cornbread, while perfect with pinto beans, seems like overkill when the meal itself is corn.

As for wine, I'll leave the choice to you. I usually pick the one where the color of the box matches the tablecloth.
CM

Another source of posole corn,
http://www.albuquerque-tortilla.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=49

cattleskinner
09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Just wanted to bump this one up to the top for the bi-yearly plug. [smilie=1: Excellent recipe Ric, doesn't take long to make and is tasty every time I make it.

PatMarlin
09-07-2009, 04:06 PM
oh yeah- I forgot all about it.

pmeisel
09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
I do a very similar recipe using plain old yellow corn in place of the hominy..... and I usually use tomatoes and onions and peppers and season myself, in place of the salsa.

PatMarlin
09-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Made it with venison. REAL good stuff.

45caster
09-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Your making hungry sounds like some good eating

Bodydoc447
09-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Reading the thread made me realize I hadn't made this for far too long. In tis batch I used half Pace picante and half salsa a friend made me as a gift. Dang this stuff is good. Thanks for the reminder!!

Doc

GLL
09-20-2009, 09:44 PM
I have to go with Slowpoke on this one ! :) :)

Jerry

Randall
09-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Just tried it,good stuff!!!!

SciFiJim
09-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm going to have to save this recipe for the Christmas potluck at work. Where I live the population is about 55% Hispanic, so ingredients are easy to come by.

NoDakJak
10-19-2009, 04:19 AM
All these recipes sound great. Pesole is not a set in stone recipe and varies greatly from one area to the next. I have never found a bad batch. I have to admit that I prefer to use the yellow hominy as it seems to have much more flavor. It also seems to work better in Menudo. Menudo!! Yowza! Menudo season is coming on. I have 20 pounds of tripe on order and think that I had better order at least another forty pounds.
Neil

C1PNR
10-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, after living in South Dakota for many years, I think you ordering another 40 lb of tripe is just about right to get you through the Christmas season.:shock:

Maybe order a little more to last you until Spring, which I expect will be about the first part of July, if it's anything like Eastern Idaho!:bigsmyl2:

Dale in Louisiana
10-31-2009, 11:47 AM
I made a pot of this last night. Used half a pound of Jimmy Dean sausage, half a pound of cut up pork chops off the "going, going, gone" rack at the Krogers), a BIG bottle of medium salsa , two cans of yellow hominy and some spicy stuff.

It is GOOD! Not the thing for a low-calorie diet, but GOOD!

Dale in Louisiana

tcrocker
11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Pesole ? I've never heard of it does eny one have a pic.

waksupi
02-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Bumped up for a hungry guy!

Dark Helmet
02-12-2012, 12:52 AM
'Bout time for a batch, ain't it?

Shiloh
02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
I add tripe to it and red frozen red chile paste.
Garnish with lime, oregano, and onions. Serve with Tortillas.
We call this menudo.

Shiloh

waksupi
12-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Bump for a bumpkin that apparently couldn't spell it, to search for it!

:-? [smilie=s:

legend
12-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Ric, i made your recipe last night,but,cut it in half. it was great! my wife just had mouth surgery,so, she could not try it.... i ate the whole(ok half) recipe and will do it again.

thanks for sharing it!

WARD O
12-04-2012, 03:01 PM
I've got a full day of work today and after that, a sportsman club meeting so I'll likely get home after 9:00 tonight.... So I threw together a 'version' of this in my crock pot this morning and hope to come home to a warm bowl at the end of the day. Kinda gives one something to look forward to....

ward

Twinkiethekid
12-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Shoot why not add some bacon to it too!

Bodydoc447
11-11-2014, 01:01 AM
Made your posole again tonight, Waksupi. It was 9 degrees outside. Sure was good to have an easy nice hot supper.

Thanks, Doc

PatMarlin
11-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Forgot about Ric's Pesole...!

trooperdan
11-11-2014, 01:18 AM
It is a staple at my wigwam, real comfort food.

Bodydoc447
11-11-2014, 07:24 PM
We had leftovers for lunch and then got a nice little whitetail buck. Darned good day with my Dad and brother.
Doc

Love Life
11-11-2014, 09:29 PM
I will have to try this. My pozole is an epic in the making for both quantity and effort. Sho' is good though.

waksupi
02-18-2024, 02:10 PM
Bumping it up, since people still like food.

shtur
04-10-2024, 01:28 PM
As for wine, I'll leave the choice to you. I usually pick the one where the color of the box matches the tablecloth.
CM

^Now that shows humor and class all in one.

My wife makes posole with either venison or elk and adds a small amount of homemade tomato sauce for some extra liquid. She makes a big batch and freezes some to take to deer and elk camp.

Tall
04-10-2024, 03:48 PM
I make posole sometimes with boneless pork chops, Herdez green sauce, garlic, and white hominy. Great with corn tortillas. Serve it with shredded cabbage, thinly sliced radishes, chopped avocados, cilantro, onions, and wedges of lime. I need some!

Tall
04-10-2024, 04:02 PM
Pesole ? I've never heard of it does eny one have a pic.

I've only heard of posole or pozole but what do I know.