PDA

View Full Version : New lead boolits reloads for rifle question

Marcduper
05-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Good morning all,

I just got back from the range. I casted up some 311291 w/gas checks for my .308. The load was 17 gr of 2400, coal was it the crimp groove. They all piled into one ragged hole at 50 yards. Very happy!! Needless to say, this was my first rifle with cast experience. My question resides with the reloading these boolits. I made a M style expander to the spec I wanted. The problem was the seating of the boolits. The seater would damage the round point. I seated all of them with a 44 mag seater set way out. Is ther a better way? Are there different seaters out there? Is this common, do I need to make a seater to suit my round points? I have not read of anyone talking of this.

Thanks, Marc

RedlegEd
05-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Hi Marc! Sounds like you had a great day at the range and found a keeper load. Depending on whose seating die you are using, you may be able to ask for a different profile stem from the manufacture. RCBS is very good about providing different stems for no charge. In the meantime, a quick and easy fix is to lube the nose of your cast bullet and put hot melt glue into the thoroughly cleaned and degreased seating stem cavity. Then apply light to moderate pressure with the cast bullet so the hot melt conforms to its shape. Once the hot melt has cured, you shouldn't have any more problems as long as the plug remains in the stem (you may have to trim the excess googe over.) For a little more permanent solution, you can do the same with JB Weld. Hope this helps. Ed

Tom_in_AZ
05-19-2019, 11:55 AM
They make seating stems with different profiles. I’ve also seen people modify the flat seater stems so they can accommodate pointed/round bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewer12345
05-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Silly question: you got excellent results, why do you want to change anything?

gwpercle
05-20-2019, 08:47 AM
You can also custom fit the nose with a small ball of epoxy putty ( putty stays put , no run) .
I have modified many with the epoxy method. Clean the stem nose so the epoxy will stick and grease the boolit nose so the epoxy wont stick to it . Epoxy will give a Perfect fit ...most store bought nose punches don't .
Gary

Conditor22
05-20-2019, 12:45 PM
I do what gw does but use hot melt glue. Quick and easy, just carve off the excess when it's cooled. Haven't had one fall off yet :)