PDA

View Full Version : The sheriff has died (my big Tom Cat)

oldred
05-19-2019, 10:32 AM
Over ten years ago my shop was over-run with mice, the vermin were EVERYWHERE! My tool box drawers had become both baby mouse nurseries and mouse toilets, they were leaving their little calling cards everywhere and any area that was not ventilated well reeked of mouse pee. Then a 1 year old nineteen lb very muscular terror named Jack Bauer (after the character from the series "24") hired on as the new Sheriff to clean up the town, and clean it up he did! He was deadly and diligent and always on the job, the few mice that managed to escape would not dare return and in short order I had the place clean again. Jack has been my constant companion for the last eleven years, he lived in my shop and wanted to "help" with every job I did, I already miss him immensely and the place just seems cold and drab knowing he will not be there anymore. He was healthy and very active for even a young cat never mind a 12 year, but he suddenly lost his appetite and started acting listless so we took him to the vet to find out what was going on. After extensive testing it was found that he had kidney cancer and his kidneys were failing fast so the only option was to put him out of his pain. I don't know how someone can get so attached to an animal but Jack was almost like a child to me so it grieves me a lot to have to let him go but we all know pets are not to be forever and Jack had a good run.

R.I.P. Sheriff

Beagle333
05-19-2019, 10:48 AM
RIP Kitty. I have two that are like children, so I understand the loss.

richhodg66
05-19-2019, 10:50 AM
I love cats. Dogs are great too, but a good cat is special. We had a big tom cat show up and adopt us about three or four years ago, and because we already had three inside, he stayed outside, I made him a warm house on the front porch and he came and went for a couple of years. We suspect he had more than one family and eventually he disappeared, I like to hope he's still out there.

He was the friendliest cat ever, followed me around, even out in the woods and sat on my lap while I squirrel hunted sometimes. He was also a very lethal critter for small things. Since he's gone, we have to be careful to keep field mice from nesting in the car engines, never was a problem when he was around.

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like you better get another cat or your shop will have mice again soon.

Outpost75
05-19-2019, 11:12 AM
Sorry for your loss. I would urge you to adopt a rescue cat. We have two former ferals who are little stone killers on the vermin. They've both been spayed and are now indoor girls and good Democrats living off the Outpost welfare state, but they remember their roots and line up their mouse tails on the hearth to show what good hunters they are.
They help in the reloading room too.

Three44s
05-19-2019, 11:23 AM
RIP Jack!

May there be plenty of work in Heaven for you!

For the OP, when you are ready, find yourself your next friend. You will never have another “Jack” as I am sure God broke the mold the day the original was born but the next one will be special in it’s own unique way if you will it.

Good luck and sorry for your loss

Three44s

falmike
05-19-2019, 12:38 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

farmerjim
05-19-2019, 01:04 PM
Get another cat. He will not be Jack Bauer, but will be a friend.
We have 4 cats, 1 inside, and 3 outside. I often find kittens in my barn and under my farm equipment. I once found 2 under my workbench that still did not have the umbilical chord dried out yet.
They were hand raised on a bottle with kitten replacement formula.

oldred
05-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Those who know me know I have other cats (all spayed/neutered) but this one was so special in so many ways that he stood out from the rest. He was my pick and my pet and also a very dear friend that I could never come close to replacing but of course I will move another one in the shop very soon, I intend to scout the animal shelters for an adult that fits my wants/needs. There always seems to be at least one that is lovable and good natured but can't find a home due to looks or some other reason people pass on them and that's the one I intend to select as soon as I find him/her.

shdwlkr
05-19-2019, 01:49 PM
I understand your loss very well over the decades I have had many cats, one was with me for 20 years she came to me one cold rainy night when my stepson was coming home from work, he also hit her as she was in the road. He picked up this very cold very wet animal and brought her home. She latched on to me and we were there for each for a very long time. She too had kidney issues and I had to put her down a few years ago. Still miss her greatly. Ended up with 3 to replace her and they all help me and my small dog go through the days. As soon as you can find another and love that one as much as your lost buddy, it does help really.

Dieselhorses
05-19-2019, 02:03 PM
My condolences for Jack. As mentioned (and whenever you up to it) I'd also advise adopting, I mean there are so many eager candidates! We lost our "Peach" not long ago and wife misses him awful- he was only 5 but had a tumor on his kidney. I'm sure no other feline can fill Jack's shoes but would be so happy to be hired on!

RED BEAR
05-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Sorry for your loss it can be very hard to lose a pet. The only bright side if there is such a thing is that you can get to know his replacement.

David2011
05-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Sounds like you lost a wonderful companion. So sorry that you lost Jack. It seems that a cat like Jack is as much a necessity as a pet so I wish you luck in finding a good Deputy.

woodbutcher
05-19-2019, 08:27 PM
:sad: Sorry for your loss.My two kitties are Morris and Snowball.Got to be kind of careful around Snowball,as he was born deaf.Just me and them.Two major snuggle bunnies.As said, get another as soon as you find one that you like.It`s never easy loosing a pet.Been there done that way too many times over the years.
Leo

MrWolf
05-19-2019, 09:30 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend. I don't have cats but a very special Great Pyreneese who will be two in a few days. I will cry like a baby when it is his time. Good luck

lightman
05-19-2019, 10:15 PM
Sorry for your loss. Its very kind of you to seek out the ones that have not been adopted.

RIP Jack

tinhorn97062
05-19-2019, 11:15 PM
I had a rescue cat that was very special to me. Her name was Camden. She lived quite a nice life until she developed some sort of a stomach cancer. Anyway, long story short- I had to put her down. It wasn’t easy, and I absolutely feel for you in your situation.

Typical Camden attitude...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190520/8a891c9b9948bd170a5bd47a658b99d3.jpg

Last “selfie” before the end...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190520/06422d0ae7b8668ada05afcb35924be0.jpg

abunaitoo
05-20-2019, 06:51 AM
So sorry for your loss.
I have had many cats over the years.
Hard when I had to put them down.
One passed in his sleep.
Takes me a while to get over them and get another.
Have a female one now.
She's a pain.
But still love her.
I'm sure Jack is still there.
As long as you remember him, he will always be.

sparkyv
05-20-2019, 07:37 AM
RIP Jack.

GhostHawk
05-20-2019, 09:43 AM
My wife loves cats, I love dogs, we have both.

Dog is a little rascal, half Chihuahua/half Pomeranian. Cat is a rescue, half Siamese, quite dark with front toes looking like they were dipped in white paint.

We had a few mice,, not many on main floor but basement and attic. Cat figured out he dropped a dead mouse in front of momma and he got the very best of canned cat food, catnip, and lots of praise from momma. At first after catching them he would play with them, and about a third would escape. One night he was throwing one around, it landed infront of me and started to make it under my recliner, but my boot was faster.

Then I had a long talk with the cat. Kill it first, be sure its dead, then play all you want.
No treats for escaped mice. No rewards, harsh words. He figured it out quick.

2 weeks later he had 4 line up for us on the living room floor.
You go cat!

He's six now, should have several good years left. Him and the dog play most nights.
Hear yelps with the cat gets too rough on the dog. Then the dog will drive him into the basement and sit at the top of the stairs to keep him there.

They grew up together, had the pup 2 months when my wife rescued the cat.
Dang Siamese are vocal though. 3 am if he thinks he is hungry he will wake the whole house up. 6 months since I seen a mouse, or sign of one though.

The cat and the dog are like brothers They will argue hammer and tongs. Then 15 min later you see a fur pile with the cat and the dog sleeping on each other.

Texas by God
05-20-2019, 10:53 AM
May he mouse in the great grain bin in the sky. Cats earn their keep on the farm. Neutered males only at my place, thank you. I have two out side for gophers, nice, and snakes. Thor and Muffin. I didn't name them, I'm a dog person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

oldred
05-20-2019, 11:09 AM
It's heart warming to hear about other cats in such loving homes, folks who say they don't like cats have just never been around them very much. All to often someone makes the mistake of comparing cats to dogs, well cats are not in any way like dogs and we should not expect them to be such but still cats can be every bit as loving as dogs it's just that they show it in a very different way. Dogs love to do things to please their owners, they are very unique animals in that respect, but since cats of course assume they ARE the owners they do things a bit differently! Cats are not a substitute for a good dog but they certainly make a good and equal addition and I just couldn't imagine what it would be like without having a cat or three around.

Going to the shelter this afternoon to look at a big reddish tabby Tom that's almost nine years old, they said his health is excellent but because of his age no one is willing to take him. Maybe two old guys like me and him just might be good company for each other in the shop?

poppy42
05-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Truly sorry for your loss

salty dog
05-20-2019, 11:26 AM
So sorry to hear that. It sure hurts when you lose a good one. I had a mouser like that. When he was hunting, I don't think there was a creature on this earth that was more focused. A wonder to see, even motionless he was wound tight.

Hickok
05-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Sorry for the loss of your good friend.

6bg6ga
05-20-2019, 12:16 PM
I'll be honest here I'm a dog person but I can appreciate the love for any animal and the closeness one can have with an animal any animal. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope as the days pass it gets easier.

Texas by God
05-20-2019, 01:42 PM
I adopted a Tom cat to keep the rats off of me when I slept in the bunkhouse as a youth. I called him Donald and in one week we were rat free. I still let him sleep on the foot end of my bed. You know, just to be safe. He moved on one day and I never saw him again. 50 years ago and I still remember him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

lightman
05-20-2019, 01:46 PM
It's heart warming to hear about other cats in such loving homes, folks who say they don't like cats have just never been around them very much. All to often someone makes the mistake of comparing cats to dogs, well cats are not in any way like dogs and we should not expect them to be such but still cats can be every bit as loving as dogs it's just that they show it in a very different way. Dogs love to do things to please their owners, they are very unique animals in that respect, but since cats of course assume they ARE the owners they do things a bit differently! Cats are not a substitute for a good dog but they certainly make a good and equal addition and I just couldn't imagine what it would be like without having a cat or three around.

Going to the shelter this afternoon to look at a big reddish tabby Tom that's almost nine years old, they said his health is excellent but because of his age no one is willing to take him. Maybe two old guys like me and him just might be good company for each other in the shop?

I hope you and the old boy hit it off! Good Luck! And please let us know.

MaryB
05-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Sorry for your loss, some cats are special and we bond deeply with them. Tigger died 3 years ago and I still miss him... and he was my main mouser. Oliver who I got to replace him is starting to hunt more but he hasn't learned to kill them... Oliver is the Orange Bengal in this pic, Oreo the tuxedo kitty weighs 30 pounds... I need to weigh Ollie but getting him to sit still is a chore... he is a snuggler at night, always needs to have a paw touching me or his head on my arm. He knows to not climb on me at night, he is way to heavy for that!

https://i.imgur.com/bmPLHmj.jpg

oldred
05-20-2019, 06:32 PM
30 lbs, now that one is a chunk!

Jack weighed a bit over twenty lbs until he got sick recently then the weight just fell off of him so I already had a really bad feeling even before the vet gave us the bad news. Around people Jack was the classic gentle giant and even the vet had commented on him in the past because he would just let them do anything they wanted without making a fuss, he was very vocal however and I am going to really miss that, I honestly think sometimes he was trying to talk to me.

Three44s
05-21-2019, 09:59 AM
When a cat brings a live mouse and drops them by you they are gifting you the fun of playing with it. We had a spayed female that was that way. When the mouse would run off she would get very mad at us.

We called her Super Cat.

One night the coyotes were about 400 yds from the farm house. I went out with a spot light and she ran over to the yard fence and hopped on top of it. As I scanned the field Super Cat followed the path of the light. At the moment I picked up their eyes she saw that as well and let loose a deep growl and madly banged her tail onto the vertical board fence. It’s been 20 years since she passed but I remember that sound like it was yeasterday. Long live Super Cat in Heaven!

Three44s

buckwheatpaul
05-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Over ten years ago my shop was over-run with mice, the vermin were EVERYWHERE! My tool box drawers had become both baby mouse nurseries and mouse toilets, they were leaving their little calling cards everywhere and any area that was not ventilated well reeked of mouse pee. Then a 1 year old nineteen lb very muscular terror named Jack Bauer (after the character from the series "24") hired on as the new Sheriff to clean up the town, and clean it up he did! He was deadly and diligent and always on the job, the few mice that managed to escape would not dare return and in short order I had the place clean again. Jack has been my constant companion for the last eleven years, he lived in my shop and wanted to "help" with every job I did, I already miss him immensely and the place just seems cold and drab knowing he will not be there anymore. He was healthy and very active for even a young cat never mind a 12 year, but he suddenly lost his appetite and started acting listless so we took him to the vet to find out what was going on. After extensive testing it was found that he had kidney cancer and his kidneys were failing fast so the only option was to put him out of his pain. I don't know how someone can get so attached to an animal but Jack was almost like a child to me so it grieves me a lot to have to let him go but we all know pets are not to be forever and Jack had a good run.

R.I.P. Sheriff

Oldred, Last year we lost two dogs and God sent me Otis, a huge tom cat to gap the immense loss! Otis is my constant companion and like "The Sheriff" he keeps thing cleaned up around his town......I am so sorry for your loss! Paul

gwpercle
05-22-2019, 12:12 PM
Sorry for your loss , remember the good times .
Time eases the pain .
Gary