PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge stuck in grease gun

samari46
05-18-2019, 01:25 AM
Took both ends of a grease gun and cartridge gun and could not get the cartridge gun. Tried to pull it out with a pair of locking pliers. Still won't come out. Anybody face this problem before and how did you get the cartridge out. Not a cheap gun, the other one went in the trash. Thanks for any assist you can give me. Thought about getting really long screwdriver between the cylinder and the cartridge and break the bond. Frank

abunaitoo
05-18-2019, 01:39 AM
The cartridge is paper.
One end has a metal ring on it.
On the other end you can collapse it, and push it out.
Happened to me a few times.

Winger Ed.
05-18-2019, 01:41 AM
Sliding a screwdriver down the side from the bottom to the top, and pry it around.

That should collapse the tube and let it come on out.

Stephen Cohen
05-18-2019, 01:42 AM
Sounds like wrong cartridge used or gun not a cartridge gun. Mine just pull out easy when top removed, I would try what you said or drive a sharp narrow blade down and split the cartridge assuming it is not metal. Regards Stephen

bikerbeans
05-18-2019, 07:53 AM
I need more coffee, i thought the OP had a 45 stuck in the chamber of a machine pistol.

BB

tim338
05-18-2019, 07:58 AM
I need more coffee, i thought the OP had a 45 stuck in the chamber of a machine pistol.

BB

Lol.... that's what I was thinking too!

bedbugbilly
05-18-2019, 08:06 AM
We used to have that happen once in a while - follow what's been described. Once I had a side of the cartridge tube collapsed, I would reach in with a large pair of needle nose pliers and was able to pull it out. When you do get it out, clean the inside of your grease gun tube well. And trust me . . . you aren't the first one this has happened too . .. usually when you are pressed for time. :-)

Thumbcocker
05-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Read manual and follow all safety procedures

Petrol & Powder
05-18-2019, 08:48 AM
Do NOT stick you fingers in there. That cheap metal ring on the end of the old grease cartridge is a sharp sucker.

If you can get both ends of the grease gun off, just do what abunaitoo suggested, collapse the cardboard end and push the tube out.

Hossfly
05-18-2019, 09:05 AM
I had one stuck like that, put in vice gently and with long all thread or similar rod used as punch tap out from opposite end hit the metal ring from inside popped right out. Prepare for grease all over everything tho. Just be careful not to damage the end threads on your cartridge container.

oldred
05-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Do NOT stick you fingers in there. That cheap metal ring on the end of the old grease cartridge is a sharp sucker.

I got a really nasty cut doing just that! That ring is every bit as sharp as a razor blade and that's not just a figure of speech, it really is that sharp and often hidden under grease. It will not only slice like a razor but it will obviously leave grease in the cut which can cause some serious pain. In my case I not only had to deal with the grease contaminated wound but also some nerve damage that left the end of one finger almost completely numb.

metricmonkeywrench
05-18-2019, 03:42 PM
No additional help on the OP as all of the usual methods have been posted, just wanted to add though that are also a few older and better quality grease guns that there where the piston is reversible for either bulk load or cartridge feed.

Winger Ed.
05-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Read manual and follow all safety procedures

Oh heck no. This is blasphemy!! That statement is a direct violation of Man Law.

The first rule of Man Law clearly states:

"Throw away the instructions, and disconnect or otherwise bypass all safety devices".

redhawk0
05-18-2019, 04:34 PM
hahaha....ain't it the truth.

redhawk

abunaitoo
05-18-2019, 06:57 PM
45acp stuck in a M3.
Now that is a problem.

samari46
05-18-2019, 11:38 PM
Some of your answers were priceless. Tried to grab the metal ring and that came off with a pair of vice grips. Then tried to grab whatever parts of the cartridge with said vise grips and twisted it almost closed and stuck a shovel handle against the vise grips and ram it out. All I got was a greasy shovel handle. So will stick in the vice and try to cut it length wise and split it open. You really cannot get a good grip with gloves on and moly grease is really slippery. And very messy. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. All this because I wanted to lube all the grease points on my tractor. And not a cheap grease gun, that one is in the trash. Lever keeps sticking. Thanks again,Frank

FISH4BUGS
05-19-2019, 06:43 AM
45acp stuck in a M3.
Now that is a problem.
I had the answer until I read the post.
My chuckle for the morning.

rancher1913
05-19-2019, 09:22 AM
stupid question but are you sure it has a cartridge in it, some grease guns you fill by hand or suck the grease in like a syringe.

Texas by God
05-19-2019, 09:39 AM
Grease guns are like toilets. A seemingly simple device that can drive you nuts when they don't work right. I feel your pain; hay season is here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

samari46
05-19-2019, 11:32 PM
Definitely is a cartridge gun,grease that is. Frank

waksupi
05-21-2019, 12:08 PM
Use a heat gun to heat the grease gun, should slip right out.

samari46
05-21-2019, 11:28 PM
Never thought about using a heat gun to heat up the barrel of the grease gun. Gotta try it before I perform surgery on what remains of the grease cartridge. Was a moly grease cartridge by the way. Thanks,Frank

3leggedturtle
05-22-2019, 01:05 AM
Air chuck with a needle type nozzle inserted btween cartridge tube and tube/wall.

samari46
05-27-2019, 11:24 PM
Got the grease gun cartridge out. Stuck a long carving knife in the end where the plunger goes and lifted one edge and with another long shank screw driver managed to pretty well collapse the tube and vise grips at the other end and out it came. No rust or corrosion in the tube or barrel but gave it a good cleaning. The grease gun is a alemite one which up until now has worked great and made in the U.S.A. Frank

Petrol & Powder
05-28-2019, 06:14 AM
Good Deal !

And no injuries.

metricmonkeywrench
05-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Good to hear....[smilie=w:

samari46
05-29-2019, 12:09 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. And the chinese grease gun goes back to Lowe's in the morning. Cost me two tubes of grease as the rubber plunger kept getting stuck on the edge of the tube. Would only pump air after that. The little pressure relief valve would bleed off the air and little grease. Kubota uses heavy cardboard for the tubes and once the edge gets mangled the plunger won't go into the tube. Good thing I had an extra tube of high pressure moly lube and it's in a plastic tube. Went right in and stuck it in my old alemite grease gun. thanks again. Frank