PDA

View Full Version : Pan Lubing?

dk17hmr
10-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I havent had much luck with pan lubing. Whats better a soft or hard lube for pan lubing. Just looking for some general tips on the whole process.

30yrcaster
10-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Harder lube works better for me. You're able to push/pop the bullets out easily and the lube is only in the grooves. I pour the hot lube in a cake pan with all the bullets stacked upright. I'm able to pop the entire cake out of the pan with the bullets in it then start popping them out one by one.

Calamity Jake
10-23-2008, 08:35 AM
I pan lube with felix and 50/50 and use a fired case for the caliber with head cut off for a cookie cutter. Works with the hard lubes too, Rooster Red for instance.

docone31
10-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Pan lubing can have its moments for sure!
What I do,
I mix my lube. I preheat my castings, and pan in the oven. I use 200*. I also put some wax paper on the bottom of the pan before I set my castings in it. I pour the lube. I then let it sit in the oven untill it cools. I lube sometimes 500 at a time. Mostly .30cal.
When cool, I remove and place upside down on a table top. The cake eventually falls out in one piece. I take this cake, and push the boolitts from the nose out of the cake, base first.
Any missing lube, I rub on before sizing.
Makes a mess to a point, but I enjoy it.
Smells good also.

montana_charlie
10-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Whats better a soft or hard lube for pan lubing.
Never have pan lubed, but have read a lot of posts about it. Because my interest is in BPCR, all of those posts had to do with soft lubes.
From that accumulation of information I am certain that using soft lube is perfectly fine, but your 'technique' will probably be important...no matter what kind of lube you use.

If you are not having success, describe your process.

Those with experience may be able to suggest modifications to your technique that will cure your problem(s).

I would strongly suggest that you always use a double boiler for melting lube...even though others say it's not necessary.

CM

dk17hmr
10-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Well I use a pie pan, pour the lube in and used a case to make holes in the lube to put the bullets in. Filled the holes with bullets put it in the oven at 200 degrees until all the lube is melted, shut off the oven open the door, let it cool enough so that the lube is setting up enough that the bullets wont tip over, put it in the fridge to speed up the process. Than pop them out of the "cake". I get about 50% success.

Kraschenbirn
10-23-2008, 05:21 PM
My experience has been that the "best" method may depend more upon the lube you're using than anything else. My BP lube is fairly stiff and dropping the entire cake out of the pan and pushing the boolits through from the nose end works just fine. On the other hand, I've been using Junior's beeswax/ATF/lithium grease recipe for 1350-1450 fps 38-55 loads and have found that the cookie cutter method is the way to go with that mix.

Bill

13Echo
10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
I pan lube for my Black powder rifles as follows:

The bullets are placed in a flat bottom pie tin or plastic container with about 1/4 to 3/8" between.

The lube is melted in a double boiler.

When the lube is liquid it is poured into the pan till the lube grooves are covered.
(if the bullets are cold I'll warm them up a bit with a hair dryer while the lube is melting)

The lube is allowed to cool till it pulls away from the side of the pan

The pan is then turned upside down over a folded towel and the cake of lube is gently dumped out.

The lube cake is turned over and, with the cake resting on the towel, each bullet is pushed down by the nose to break it free. When all bullets are free in the cake it is picked up and the bullets pushed completely out.

Notes:
Success rate is virtually 100% Using the towel supports the lube cake and helps keep it from cracking before the bullets are pushed free. Lube will stick to some types of pans which are thus not useable with this method. I find aluminum, teflon coated, and plastic containers with sloping sides are best. My favorite lube sticks to stainless. Using a double boiler to melt the lube keeps it from scorching. Overheating lube will destroy its effectiveness.

Jerry Liles

yondering
10-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I've found, with some lubes, that cooling it of too much makes it not work well for pan lubing.

I don't remove the lube cake from the pan. I heat up the lube and boolits on the stove top at low heat (sometimes with a blowtorch to gently heat the boolits and lube from the top) then set it on the countertop to cool. When it's cool enough to hold my hand on the bottom side of the pan, but still warm to the touch, is the perfect time to remove the boolits. I use a small pair of needlenose pliers, and pull them out by the nose. Makes a small "pop" noise, and the boolits come out cleanly with no excess lube. I do this with BAC and Carnuba Red lubes. With CR, if I let it cool too much, the lube breaks out of some of the grooves, and I have to re-lube those boolits.

montana_charlie
10-25-2008, 02:20 PM
I use a small pair of needlenose pliers, and pull them out by the nose.
Surely you only do that on very hard bullets...right?

I filled a plastic 45 Colt ammo box with 100 550-grain .45 cal. bullets...inserted nose up. To my dismay, I found I could not grip them by the nose with enough friction to lift them out with my fingers. The noses were too round, and too smooth.

I cut a short length of rubber tubing and pressed the end onto a bullet. Then, squeezing the body of the tubing closed to form a vacuum...I could lift them out.

No damage to those perfect noses I was so proud of...
CM

yondering
10-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Surely you only do that on very hard bullets...right?

CM

Nope, I do that for all of my boolits. I haven't cast any pure lead, so 50/50 pure/ww is as soft as I've tried, but it works fine. When the lube is still a bit warm, it doesn't take much to pull them out. It does leave two small marks on the noses of the soft boolits, but who cares? It doesn't make them shoot any differently, and they are hardly noticeable, if you're worried about them being "pretty".

RU shooter
10-25-2008, 09:24 PM
I do the same as Yondering , I leave the cake in the pan and while still a touch warm use forcepts to pull the bullet out I have found that I get best sucess if I leave my lube and boolits in the toaster oven after the lube is melted for approx 15-20 min. I read this on Goatlips website that it works best if the boolits reach the same temp as the lube ,Its been working for me well as pan lubing is all I mainly do

TAWILDCATT
10-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I have not pan lubed since WW2 and got my lyman luber.now I use Lee tumble lube.just throw them in plastic container[icecream] squirt som lube on shake put on wax paper and leave over night.:coffee:[smilie=1:

docone31
10-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I tried pouring lots of lube on cold bullets.
Pfhaaat!
Now, I set them on the tray, bring the oven up to 175*-200*. Depends on whether I want to set the temp.
I go away for a while, then pour the lube in one corner. When I pan lube, I do 500 at a time.
I watch how high the lube gets. Once it is where I want it, I shut off the oven, put the tray back in, and get it later.
I then set the tray upside down with one corner high over a towel. In a few hours, the lube seperates from the pan. I pop the lube cake out, remove the wax paper, and push the castings through base first. I remove excess lube with the sizing die. I use the Lee Push Thru Sizer. The excess I wipe on the few with missing lube.

dk17hmr
10-26-2008, 07:09 PM
I got it figured out...I tried cutting them out with a spent case worked great.

vanilla_gorilla
10-26-2008, 08:49 PM
This may be dumb, but wouldn't a spent case pick up the boolit and cause it to stick within the case?

dk17hmr
10-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Yes it does.

Pop the primer out, Take a 2" long finish nail stick it through the primer hole and push the bullet out, worked perfectly for me. I was working on 44 bullets so I ran a 44 mag case into a 45-70 die to knock out the primer.

You could just drill out a primer and use a small bolt or dowel.

Ricochet
10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Or you can use a tubing cutter to take the head off of the case. I wait till a neck's split or some such.

gregg877
10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I use 2:1 Beeswax/vasoline lube, which when cool is medium hard. I start by warming up a pie tin under a portable light, while heating the lube up in an old coffee pot in a double boiler. The boolit in question is an ideal 311403, which I line up in the pie tin in rows. Once the lube is fully liquid, I pour it right in to just a little over the last lube groove, and let cool overnight in the fridge. Generally, the whole thing cools down into a cake, shrinks a little, and can be popped out and the boolits individually extricated, however, once in a while a crack forms in the center of the cake and all of the boolits in the cracks path get set aside for another round of lubing. I can generally do around 75-100 if I line em up right.

Gregg

WARD O
10-28-2008, 10:50 AM
I have found that if you use one of these newer type baking pans that are soft and flexible it makes for easier extraction of the lube cake with bullets.

I use one such pan sized for a loaf of bread. It will hold about 100 of my BPCR bullets. I set the pan on a small board and then stand all the bullets on their base in the pan. Heat the lube in the double boiler and simply pour the liquid up to the desired height on the bullets. Allow the lube to set for about 15 minutes until somewhat firm and then invert the pan and remove the warm lube cake. Then allow the lube cake to cool a little more with the pan removed and finally pop the bullets through the cake!

If you run a couple of pans you can keep a good rotation going and not lose too much time waiting for things to cool.

Ward

docone31
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah, those silicone pans are great! The trick is to put it on something to keep it solid on the bottom so the castings do not fall over so easily.

WARD O
10-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Yep, that's why I put a board under the pan - so I can move the pan without tipping the bullets.

Ward

vanilla_gorilla
10-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Where exactly do you guys get your beeswax? Order or do most people find it locally?

catkiller45
10-28-2008, 05:50 PM
:drinks:I love reading all of these interesting post about such things..Tons of information out there as well.....My lube mix is 50% bees wax and 50% olive oil...Sometimes for a change I add a touch of Murphy's oil soap,makes it smell good..Place the bullets base down in an old pie pan..Heat the lube in a micro wave until it is melted,stir well and slowly pour into the pan....After it cools I use a 45-70 case for a cutter..I had cut the rim off on the lathe and just keep cutting and the bullets come right on out the case...Sometimes the lube gets on the bottom of the bullet,but no big deal.....WORKS FOR ME-GOOD LUCK :coffee: I guess I should say I had bored the inside of the case head out to .460 inch.....

montana_charlie
11-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Like I said higher up, I ain't never did none of that pan lubin'. I've always had the notion it might be messy, and there are so many little variations, I figger'd it's near to bein' as complicated as casting bullets.

Then I watched this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDFO0ftCQc

CM

vanilla_gorilla
11-07-2008, 09:39 PM
I tried my hand with pan lubing tonight with Felix lube, and I'm less than impressed. There has GOT to be a better way. :(

Edit to add: Some of them sure do look nice. At least, before I make a mess lubing them. Some of them....not so nice.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/guns054.jpg

anachronism
11-07-2008, 10:34 PM
LEE used to offer a lube & sizing kit that was just about perfect for pan lubing. It came with a pan which was about the right size for 100 bullets, depending on caliber, a "Kake cutter", which was used to cut the bullets from the hardened lube, a drive through sizer die, and a stick of 50/50 lube. I still buy every one I can find for nostalgias sake. They were about $10-12.00 if I remember correctly.

11-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Guess I'm just lucky but pan lubing works everytime I use it. I shoot mostly lower velocity smokeless and BP loads in larger rifle calibers so mostly use a variation of Felix lube plus Lars BAC that is firm but not hard at room temp.

I heat a teflon pan with lube cake already in pan 'til the whole cake is melted. Turn off heat. Place bullets on base in pan. Let cool. Turn pan over onto a paper plate and the lube cake with bullets drop out onto plate. Pick the cake up and pop out each bullet by pressing on bullet tips. Others in this thread have described about the same procedure.

With really hard lubes used for higher velocity loads.... start popping bullets out before the cake cools and hardens too much. Cold hard cake and long bullets will make your thumb sore in a hurry!

My softer low velicity lube has beeswax, canola oil, lanolin, castor oil and BAC. My harder, high vel lube has the same ingredients but with a higher percentage of the beeswax plus a little parafin for added stiffness.

Side benefit of pan lubing is that it gives my hands a lotion treatment :mrgreen:

Hardcast416taylor
11-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I`ve pan lubed for some of my larger cal. boolits for the past 30 oddd years. The one most important thing you have to is GET THE OKAY FROM THE MRS. when you take one or more of her bake ware!!! It might cut down on the number of knots on your head!:bigsmyl2:

Goatlips
11-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Well, since you asked, here's my take on Pan Lubing:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

Mostly the same stuff as posted above, but with pitchers! :Fire:

Goatlips