PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17, chapter 3

nueces5
05-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Good morning. Today I received the expander that Lathesmith graciously sent me to Argentina. I have made a couple of dummies and the results are identical when using the dillon expander. If I adjust the crimp so that the plunk test is satisfactory, swage my boolits to .3535. If I do not adjust the crimp, I do not think the glock works well. I think I'll have to go to shoot classic, that the .45 worked well for me from the beginning, hahahaha
The dies are the originals of dillon. I also tried the lee factory crimp instead of the dillon crimp, with the same result.
I send you a photo where it looks like swage the boolit. The hardness is 12.5 BHN, and they are PC with a simple layer and sizing then to 356
I'm going to make about 50 and I'm going to shoot them in the range on Sunday.
https://i.ibb.co/myRGQWh/168411-FC-FEB6-47-E9-B084-A352-D055942-F.jpg (https://ibb.co/DM1t32w)

Adam20
05-13-2019, 05:34 PM
Try seating the bullet a little deeper to see if the bullet is hitting the rifling.

sigep1764
05-14-2019, 12:40 AM
What is the expander plugs width?

nueces5
05-14-2019, 07:18 AM
Try seating the bullet a little deeper to see if the bullet is hitting the rifling.

I already tried it in the two ways

What is the expander plugs width?

sigep1764
05-14-2019, 08:46 AM
Heres what I would try.
1. Expand the brass enough to leave a nice bell like shape to the case mouth, more than funnel shaped but less than a trumpet.
2. Seat the boolit to where the case mouth hits the edge of the boolit where the body meets the truncated cone.
3. Next, your crimp is too much. Only enough to remove the bell. Your crimp is currently squeezing the boolit way too much. Get a piece of brass and measure the thickness at the top of one side of the brass wall of the case. Multiply that by two and add .358. That should be your finished cartridge diameter

nueces5
05-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Heres what I would try.
1. Expand the brass enough to leave a nice bell like shape to the case mouth, more than funnel shaped but less than a trumpet.
2. Seat the boolit to where the case mouth hits the edge of the boolit where the body meets the truncated cone.
3. Next, your crimp is too much. Only enough to remove the bell. Your crimp is currently squeezing the boolit way too much. Get a piece of brass and measure the thickness at the top of one side of the brass wall of the case. Multiply that by two and add .358. That should be your finished cartridge diameter

Very good explanation. Thank you.
Just crimp as necessary to enter the chamber. I will keep trying

fredj338
05-14-2019, 12:50 PM
I just do not have this issue shooting cast in my Glock stock barrels. I can size to 0.357" & they load & shoot great without swaging the bullet down. I use an old set of RCBS dies with a MBF expander, M style. The picture looks like you are over crimping.