PDA

View Full Version : Hard to get friends to help you to move when you cast bullets

30CalTy
05-12-2019, 10:26 PM
I thought this would be a lot more interesting than just writing "HEAVY". We'll see if this 100# box of linotype arrives at the new place.

lightman
05-13-2019, 08:30 AM
Interesting! And funny!

I've moved my lead stash a few times. It ain't fun! The first time I moved I was young and strong enough that I loaded the 5 gallon buckets into my truck by hand. The next time I used a 2 wheel dolly to get the 5 gallon buckets onto a "Tommy Lift" on the back of the truck. The last time I used the same dolly to get the buckets into the loader on my tractor. Live better through hydraulics!

Somewhere along the way I discovered that 5 gallon buckets deteriorate over time and I moved my ingots to milk crates. They store great but at 700# each they will be a bear to move! I will have to "divide and concur" if I ever move again!

3leggedturtle
05-13-2019, 11:00 AM
Aint that the truth, i lost alot of buddies when i sold my pickup truck.

FISH4BUGS
05-14-2019, 10:37 AM
In order to avoid moving well over a TON of wheel weights stored at my girlfriend's house, I just bought the house. Truth!

jonp
05-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Dabloons? Arrrrrrrrrr.....

jdfoxinc
05-14-2019, 05:38 PM
That's one way to keep from picking up very heavy containers.

Winger Ed.
05-14-2019, 08:18 PM
When we moved, after they'd loaded up the Lead, milling machine, lathe, bowling ball mortar, a 950 lb safe, plus a 6,000 lb one,
the tool boxes, and other odds & ends, the mover guys asked me, "Do you have ANYTHING that isn't real heavy"?

David2011
05-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Last time I moved commercially the movers were real jerks. I don't think they liked my heavy stuff, about the same laundry list as Winger Ed's. Loaded some extra large size boxes up to several hundred pounds each. I can only guess that because it was all I could do to get the platform of a 2 wheel dolly under them. Still couldn't tip the dolly back and I weigh about 225. Ended up unpacking them just to get the stuff moved inside the shop. I had one wardrobe box already filled with lightweight radio controlled airplane wings and fuselages. They redistributed my RC models into multiple boxes with a tile cutter, heavy rattan baskets and other heavy items that destroyed the models. I filed a claim that reimbursed me adequately to completely rebuild every damaged plane including glues, sandpaper, covering and labor. I had my RCBS Uniflow measure and all of its parts in a properly sized box. One of them tried to throw away all of the small parts and just pack the powder measure itself. When I told him the parts weren't cheap and I would have to replace them he just shrugged his shoulders. If I had not been stuck with a tight time line I would have shown him to the curb and let the rest of the crew pack and load my things.

Handloader109
05-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Funny. I used a commercial mover once on the early 80s. Not too much damage, but I've moved myself ever since. We moved up here in 2010 and I slowly moved a pickup load the 450 miles every month or so for about a year until we finally sold the old place. A couple of truck and trailer loads of woodworking equipment and then a 26ft uhaul to finish.... when we bought current house 4 years ago, we packed up and moved a lot of light stuff, but hired a local 2men and truck mover. Dirt cheap for the stuff they had to handle. Not a bunch of lead. Just a few hundred pounds, but a lot of heavy equipment. Good guys , saved my back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

lightman
05-16-2019, 03:28 PM
I've moved myself every time that I have moved. A couple of Buddies, a truck or two, a trailer and some beer and pizza. Tools, Pianos, lead, gun safe, everything. We were not 60 then! I'll have to hire it done if I ever move again. I'm just not up to it anymore.

Bazoo
05-16-2019, 06:27 PM
I've helped several friends and family members move. I'm good at packing items in boxes and boxes/junk in trucks from work. Well when it came time for me to move, I didn't have a truck. None of my friends or family offered to help. The wife's folks came from NC with a trailer to help us.

Winger Ed.
05-16-2019, 06:34 PM
I've helped several friends and family members move. None of my friends or family offered to help.

That's happened to me a few times. And Winger Ed. has a very long memory for that too.

People often even act surprised the next time around and I'm too busy, or have a flare up of my lumbago.
For those few folks wanting to borrow the F-250 with the 6-speed manual trans. ,,,,,
"Ahhh,,,, it's not running right,,,,,,,,,, I need to work on it".

fiberoptik
05-16-2019, 08:04 PM
True friends and family show up for funerals and moves. To help, not hurt or steal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRideout
05-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Yesterday was our fifteenth wedding anniversary. When I moved into Betsy's house, I brought along my entire reloading kit, my collection of firearms, and about ten pounds of smokeless gunpowder. She never blinked. That was when I knew this marriage would last. That was before I returned to bullet casting. Now I have accumulated approximately a quarter ton of lead, which I try to keep out of the way in the basement.

Wayne

Mica_Hiebert
05-16-2019, 09:40 PM
A buddy of mine used to throw huge barbecues and then right before dinner was ready he would announce he just needed quick help moving a pool table or cutting up and moving a 100 year old cotton wood tree, etc. Only took a couple of times to figure out his biannual friend feed usualy involved some form of heavy manual labor!

GregLaROCHE
05-16-2019, 11:54 PM
I dread the day coming soon, when I will just have to move stuff up and out of the basement, to pour a concrete slab. I’m tired of searching for dropped items on a dirt floor. I’ve even considered pouring half at a time. That way I could store stuff on one side and not have carry it up and out.

kevin c
05-17-2019, 03:49 AM
I ran out of space on the foundation sill so I put down a gravel and sand base and set square concrete pavers over it. Not particularly level but it's a place to put part of my lead stash and the weight isn't sitting up high on the sill. There's a ton down there. I'm planning on moving it into my club's berm, 147 grains at a time ;^D.

I have much more at another location. I need not to move for ten or fifteen years so I can shoot it all. Moving it all does not compute.

lightman
05-17-2019, 07:55 AM
That's happened to me a few times. And Winger Ed. has a very long memory for that too.

People often even act surprised the next time around and I'm too busy, or have a flare up of my lumbago.
For those few folks wanting to borrow the F-250 with the 6-speed manual trans. ,,,,,
"Ahhh,,,, it's not running right,,,,,,,,,, I need to work on it".

True Friends and Family help Friends and Family. I've been lucky in this sense. But, while I don't really keep score, I guess I do keep score! I've been known to be busy at times myself!