PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with your firearms

GregLaROCHE
05-06-2019, 10:33 AM
What are the current regulations for flying to a foreign country and bringing your firearms with you?

If I want to fly from the US to Africa to hunt, can I still check my rifles as luggage as before? Or do I have to go to a FFL dealer and have it shipped to and back from my destination? What about ammo?

I’m just asking about US regulations. Not about other countries allowing you to bring them in. That’s another topic.

If anyone can answer this, please add where the information is documented.

Thanks

elk hunter
05-06-2019, 11:09 AM
You have to go to a US Customs office, look on the internet for one close to you, and fill out a form 4457 for the guns you want to take listing make, model, caliber and serial numbers, you should also list scopes, ammunition, cameras etc, this shows you took the items with you and will allow you to bring them back. If you don't do this you may not be able to bring them back in to this country. Now in order to import your guns into another country you will need to find out what they require. In most African country's if you are going to hunt you will need to engage a professional hunter to invite you via a letter to hunt with him and you will need to have an agent do the paper work and pay the fees for you in the country or country's you will hunt. All this sounds complex and can be a serious problem if you don't follow all the rules. There are company's in the US that specialize in helping you do everything correctly and you should be able to find them on the internet. When in Africa you will find that a small gratuity will help keep things moving along favorably but you need to be very discreet in how you do it as the local police or others that have to deal with firearms are not supposed to take money but believe me they expect you to tip them. I generally slip each of them a folded $5.00 bill.

If you happen to be going to or through South Africa I have some recommendations I would make.

Idz
05-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Guns & Ammo magazine often has articles about African hunts. Their conclusion is don't try to do it yourself. Be prepared to spend a lot of money and research to find a reputable guide that knows how to deal with all the bureaucrats.

smoked turkey
05-07-2019, 10:08 AM
A few years ago I did this. What elk hunter in post #2 said is a good summary. I found that the airlines and even the specific airport will determine what is required for your firearms to fly with you. Some seem to allow the ammo to be in the locked rifle case while others require the ammo to be in a separate case which makes more sense to me. In all cases, you will need to secure a good lockable rifle case. Your firearm will be in a separate luggage compartment within the plane and will be handled differently than luggage. Their personnel will remove and transport the rifles to a security check point where you will need to come with your passport and flight information. You will unlock your case in the presence of the security personnel and show them your US Customs form you secured stateside from the customs office nearest you prior to the trip. You will need a lot of extra time between flights at those security check points. Your agent should give you written details on where those occur. I strongly suggest you tip those folks who are handling your firearm in the airport. That will help insure your rifle is "on your next flight". I wanted to take my own rifle with me so I just accepted the hassle. If you are not wanting to make memories with a particular rifle you might consider just renting a rifle and ammo from your guide where you are hunting. In that way you can almost be just another passenger on your LONG flights. Take pocket money to take care of the tips along the way. I found that it can grease the skids for you and this included the restrooms in South Africa also BTW.