PDA

View Full Version : Search Engine Question

Uncle Grinch
05-05-2019, 11:01 PM
Found a thread about 30-06 loads and decided to search for more under the same section. Entered 30-06 and got no results, so I entered “30-06” (with quotes) and also got no results. It didn’t even find the thread on the same page as the search window.

What gives?

bmortell
05-05-2019, 11:08 PM
ive had better luck with just going on google type in castboolits followed by (wanted info)

rancher1913
05-06-2019, 05:41 AM
you have to just ask a question, use a few key words. I put in "loads for 30-06" and got several pages of loads, some mousefart, some with unique, all kinds and at the bottom it asks if you want to do a wider search. wish I could do a screen shot.

JBinMN
05-06-2019, 07:14 AM
Try using the following in any search engine:

load loads 30-06 site:castboolits.gunloads.com

You can copy/paste the line above into a search engine, or change the keywords of "loads", and "30-06", to anything else, and you should get the topics in the forum that cover the keywords you use.

An example might be is that I want to find loads using Alliant Red Dot for a 158gr. SWC in a 38 Special. So I would put the keywords of:

load loads Alliant Red Dot 158gr. SWC 38 Special site:castboolits.gunloads.com

and I am telling the search engine to look "specifically at this forum", for anything that uses those keywords.

The "site:castboolits.gunloads", is a parameter that tells the search engine that you want to specifically look for those words by the search engine in that internet address & not anywhere else.

You can use that "parameter" for any internet site you want when you are searching for something. IOW, you can use that , " site:anysite.*** " with any keywords & do the same thing in the search engine & it will look for those keywords in the " anysite.*** " internet address.

G'Luck!
:)

ETA: you can put the following line below in your browser address bar at the top of your browser & the duck,duck,go search engine will give you plenty to read. Or, just click on it.
;)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=load+loads+30-06+site%3Acastboolits.gunloads.com&t=ffcm&ia=web

Uncle Grinch
05-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Excellent info, glad to know this technique. I appreciate your help.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Specifically, which search window did you use?

Advanced search

Google custom search

Search thread

Search forum

If you typed it in search thread, you would have got zero results,
but if you typed it into search Forum, you should have got a bunch of results.

Sig556r
05-06-2019, 02:09 PM
^^^what he said^^^
Not that instinctive, but if you click Advance Search & check the appropriate box/es on the next window, you should be able to narrow down your specific search.

gwpercle
05-07-2019, 01:27 PM
How you phrase the question will make a big difference in the info you get.
Go to Google and enter " load data 30-06 Springfield " that resulted in some good sites .
Gary

RED BEAR
05-07-2019, 02:24 PM
+1 for above wording is everything.

Mal Paso
05-07-2019, 03:24 PM
The search box at the top of this page is a Google Custom Search of This Website. I just put in 30-06 and got 4 ads at the top and the rest were castboolits threads.

Advanced Search is not as good.