PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight wrenches

buggybuilder
05-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Are the Pittsburg brand wrenches from Harbor Freight any good?
Lifetime warranty, but is replacement a circus?

1911sw45
05-05-2019, 10:25 AM
I have not had any problems with them. Their warranty is bring the item in and get it replaced. If from the set you have to bring the set in.

farmerjim
05-05-2019, 10:38 AM
For ultralight work they are ok. If a nut or bolt is tight they will break half the time.
It costs money and time to return a inferior product.

RED BEAR
05-05-2019, 11:14 AM
I don't know bout wrenches but there warranty is first rate no hassle at all as stated above bring it in they give you a new one.

tinsnips
05-05-2019, 11:42 AM
I say it depends on how much you use them and how hard you use them. Home use yes ,using them to make a living with no.I own a business an learned long ago buy real good tools or it will bite you.

SOFMatchstaff
05-05-2019, 12:12 PM
I have a basic set of emergency tools in every vehicle I drive, some yard sale stuff, mostly HF. If I use them once or twice when the need arises, they will have paid for themselves. The good professional tools stay in the shop for the most part. Its a toss up what system will show up on any truck I have, SAE or Metric, so I have to cover both possible uses. That gets expensive.

Knowing which tool to use, and when, will usually keep the tool and knuckles in fair condition. hence the term "breaker bar".. I've had good quality(expensive) tools fail, fault equally divided between Me and the manufacturer. I think the HF warranty is as good as the old Sears policy, probably better now days.

Time and money?? so's a tow truck and down time, the best tool is the one that you have. when you need it. Doesnt matter what it cost you or who made it..

country gent
05-05-2019, 12:21 PM
Having had wrenches break slip or jump in the past I buy the best I can afford. While the lifetime warranties replace the broken wrench they don't fix or replace the broken skinned up knuckles from it. Good wrenches last a lifetime and save a lot of stripped heads and broken knuckles. For some jobs we even made 6 point box wrenches where the most torque was needed.
While all wrenches may sound the same. Several have concepts or designs that drive farther down the corner of the nut where its stronger, Snap On's flank drive comes to mind here. the shape drives just below the corner greatly reducing the chance of rounding off the nut.

DougGuy
05-05-2019, 01:09 PM
I find tools on ebay the best and most overlooked bargain out there. You can get great prices on used Snap On, Mac, and other top quality big name tools, and the Craftsman options are endless, also at good prices although some collectors are trying to create a collector market with collector prices, avoiding these there are really good brands like Williams, SK, K&D, Bonney, Proto, Thorsen, a boatload of these high quality but off brand names (definitely not off brand quality!) that are priced lower than the Asian made JUNK. Many sellers offer free shipping, what's not to like about this situation? I go to ebay before I go to Lowe's and I never buy tools from Horrible Freight.

Pittsburgh brand vise clamps, use once, and it forever requires two hands to lock them and two hands to unlock them they are totally not worth the metal they are made with. C clamps, ugh just horrible quality, can't stand to even look at them let alone use them.

redneck1
05-05-2019, 01:50 PM
You really should go watch a few of the tool comparison videos on you tube , it can be a real eye opener .
I won't say all the Pittsburg tools are all that great because a few of them do suck .
But for sure not all of them , I rate the few Pittsburg wrenches and sockets I hAve as much much better then New craftsman tools .
I'll put the impact sockets to the Pepsi challenge with snap on Any day of the week !

I've become a firm Believer that unless you find them used and for a fair price only a fool will buy snap on . Good tools yes .
But way over priced . A set of basic 1/4 inch - 1 inch wrenches is pretty near $400 list price tool truck prices won't be far off that .

DougGuy
05-05-2019, 02:45 PM
New Craftsman = Totally Asian made, it's HF with the Craftsman name.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-05-2019, 02:53 PM
I bought a HF set of ratcheting wrenches. I Broke one, brought in the whole set, and they replaced the whole set.
They work great for light work.

wv109323
05-05-2019, 04:14 PM
I agree on HF impact sockets,tough as nails. I also bought a Chinese 3/4" drive set many years ago. Paid $35,00 IIRC and it has seen years of abuse and still is going strong.

Petrol & Powder
05-05-2019, 06:49 PM
I'm SORT OF with SOFMatchstaff, if there's a good chance the tool will be stolen (and ANYTHING in a vehicle is subject to theft) then you might be better off with cheap tools in a vehicle.
However, if that tool breaks the one time you really need it, you only spent money and you saved nothing.

I am with Doug Guy concerning the practice of seeking out high quality used tools. There is some really good stuff out there. Old tools such as SK, Thorsen, Ridgid, Kline and Blackhawk; just to name a few. I'd rather buy good used tool that a poor quality new tool for the same price.

rcslotcar
05-05-2019, 07:36 PM
I bought HF tools ,decent quality for my Daughters car. They may never be used but in an emergency it would be nice to have them available.

rl69
05-05-2019, 08:38 PM

No!!!! they are not worth the price. The open ends flex the box end strips. Spend a little more and get quality you don't have to buy Snapon but there is much better then HF. I baught a set of impact sockets from tekton they are far superior to the HF set. Now I haven't had the opertunity to take a hamer or four foot cheater pipe to one of there two inch wrenches yet but som field mechanics I know said they are solid

Give them a look

rl69
05-05-2019, 08:42 PM
https://www.tekton.com/

375supermag
05-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Hi...
I buy a few things at Harbor Freight...shop towels, general purpose gloves and small tool boxes.
Have looked at their tools and decided they weren't what I wanted to spend my money on.

Most of my tools are 20 year old Craftsman stuff ...all of it bought to replace tools stolen in a divorce. I used them for several years assembling HVAC equipment(late'90s) and then another couple of years(early 2000s) building printing presses. I managed to get out of assembly work in 2001...good thing. Nowadays, they are used on home projects only... retirement is a good thing.
The last few years, I have been buying Kobalt hand tools and Milwaukee power tools. They mostly seem to be good quality.

Sig556r
05-06-2019, 11:48 AM
As in any other tools, you get what you pay for...

OS OK
05-06-2019, 12:47 PM
Having had wrenches break slip or jump in the past I buy the best I can afford. While the lifetime warranties replace the broken wrench they don't fix or replace the broken skinned up knuckles from it. Good wrenches last a lifetime and save a lot of stripped heads and broken knuckles. For some jobs we even made 6 point box wrenches where the most torque was needed.
While all wrenches may sound the same. Several have concepts or designs that drive farther down the corner of the nut where its stronger, Snap On's flank drive comes to mind here. the shape drives just below the corner greatly reducing the chance of rounding off the nut.

I agree 100%.

People want to spend cheap and then convince themselves that they have adequate tools...after all, HF will replace them...right?

Tell me this again when your 15 miles offshore and that wrench breaks...or if your in the middle of the desert or up a mountain ridge 4 wheeling...spend cheap tool dollars and they'll eventually leave you up the creek without a paddle & with bloody knuckles.

Traffer
05-06-2019, 02:10 PM
The key to HF is that they are cheap enough to experiment with. I have purchased their very WORST tools ($15 tap & die set) and just take em back WHEN THEY BROKE. I took so many back it got embarrassing. Since then I buy better taps and dies in only the sizes I need. But taps and dies being what they are, a neanderthal like me breaks the very best ones. I have not ever broken one of their wrenches. The only catch would be for you is that if you have to drive a long distance to get a replacement if you break one. To get a replacement...take in broken, 2 minutes later you walk out with a new one.

Tracy
05-06-2019, 02:14 PM
I bought lots of Craftsman tools over 20 years ago to supplement the good, old SK and somewhat newer Blackhawk tools I already had. At this point in time the SK and Blackhawk still work flawlessly. The supply of Craftsman ratchet handles has dwindled. I traded one in for a Husky when the introductory promotion was going on, and it has been flawless. I don't even bother returning Craftsman ratchets any more because what will I get? Another junk Craftsman. They're not breaking much any more though, because I don't use them much.

The 20+ year old Craftsman sockets and combination wrenches have been ok, for the most part.

The past few years I have been buying the cheap HF combination wrench sets to put in my trucks and motorcycles. I use them quite a bit, and they have been fine. Comparing 12 pt to 12 pt, I really don't see where my Craftsman wrenches are any better.

As for ratchet handles, I've learned my lesson and use decent quality stuff. Not Snap On, but better than Craftsman. As bad as they were in the '90s, I don't even want to try a new one.

Reddirt62
05-06-2019, 06:10 PM
"I've become a firm Believer that unless you find them used and for a fair price only a fool will buy snap on ."

Clearly you don't turn wrenches for a wage. 35 years as a diesel mechanic and 99% Snap-on. And the best part....they will still be there for my childrens children to use. As far as around the house.....there have been a lot of good suggestions but personally the only wrenches I have ever purchased from HF were directly bent or ground on for a special application.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lightman
05-06-2019, 09:46 PM
I never worked as a mechanic but I used tools for a living. 24/7/365 in all kinds of conditions. They had to work when I needed them. So I bought good quality tools. I have a few cheap tools. Like another poster said, a spare set in a car or truck. Just in case and not really expecting to use them. In my case I have a few cheap tools on my tractor. The tool box leaks and theres a better chance of them being lost or stolen than there is of breaking them.

I suggest picking your tools according to your need. Like OS OK, if you're 15 miles out in the Gulf on an oil rig, or like Reddirt where you use them everyday for 35 years or like me being 160ft in the air, they got to work. If you use it lightly once every few years your choice may be different.

Mal Paso
05-07-2019, 10:40 AM
I chased down a Snap-On van almost 20 years ago for a special tool. He printed a receipt from his computer for the most expensive socket I ever bought. In the Van He had 120VAC from 4 batteries and an inverter with a built in generator for backup. I'll bet almost half my money went to the Snap-On Company.

I've been using HF sockets and wrenches for over 25 years and the only socket I split was one of the old thin Craftsman.

redneck1
05-07-2019, 03:41 PM
"I've become a firm Believer that unless you find them used and for a fair price only a fool will buy snap on ."

Clearly you don't turn wrenches for a wage. 35 years as a diesel mechanic and 99% Snap-on. And the best part....they will still be there for my childrens children to use. As far as around the house.....there have been a lot of good suggestions but personally the only wrenches I have ever purchased from HF were directly bent or ground on for a special application.

I understand making a living with tools very well .

I don't know how to post a link , but go to you tube and search ..
"Snap on tools million dollar mistake "
And then watch the "den of tools " video and learn a very good economic lesson on " investing " in your tools .
And then understand why I stand by my statement very firmly !

abunaitoo
05-07-2019, 03:51 PM
In the past, I've gotten a few sets.
They work OK.
Metal is kind of soft.
I've bent a few to odd angles as needed.
Haven't had on break on me ............Yet.
Good tools will last you a lifetime..........Unless you lose them.

Reddirt62
05-07-2019, 04:01 PM
I understand making a living with tools very well .

I don't know how to post a link , but go to you tube and search ..
"Snap on tools million dollar mistake "
And then watch the "den of tools " video and learn a very good economic lesson on " investing " in your tools .
And then understand why I stand by my statement very firmly !No need....I have experienced it...I bought the cheap tools and they broke, or they stretched. No longer. I stand my my comments because of years of professional day to day experience. Besides, I don't believe much I read on the interweds. [emoji4]

redneck1
05-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Well then , I guess your the perfect tool truck customer then .
Enjoy :)

salpal48
05-07-2019, 04:46 PM
If any one I Hire came to do a job with HF tools . . I tell him to go home

popper
05-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Years ago I broke some craftsman whitworth sockets, guess they came from Briton too! Not english, not metric - darn. Everything on their cars were whitworth - hose, pipe, bearings, etc. Their gears had voids and broke easy.
Sears did replace them when they were in stock.

KCSO
05-09-2019, 11:34 AM
I got one set of these years ago to do an engine swap for my brother. I didn't want to drive 50 miles to get my good wrenches. I broke 3 before the job was done and never tried them again!

RogerDat
05-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Use case and function determine what price point makes sense. Tools are no different. If one has to factor in down time on a paying job into the "cost" of the tool then premium quality makes more sense. If one wants to have a set of wrenches on the reloading bench, car or camper to tighten up or adjust things then buying premium wrenches is probably a waste of money. Too little use and probably used to perform lighter work.

There are exceptions. I want a good ratchet handle, the sockets don't have to be premium but plastic in a ratchet handle is a no-no. I have 30 year old 1/2 drive set from a tool auction barn that are nothing special but have worked when I needed them to. I did replace the ratchet handle at some point but then I have rebuilt both a school bus engine and Ford truck motor, as well as many other homeowner jobs with them.

Right size handle makes a difference too. If one needs a breaker bar to get leverage sufficient to move the fastener, reefing on the short handle is a good recipe for stripping something because the fastener just won't move.

I used the HF line wrenches to work on brakes that were pretty seized up and they worked. If I had used the most premium open end wrenches I would have probably rounded the corners on the fastener. Right tool can also avoid "issues".

I do know contractors that buy HF power tools with extended warranties for the crew. They have extras and if it breaks due to the love and care of hourly employees they just toss it in the truck and swap it out after work.

Buying more than you need is a waste. Paying money for less than will do the job is also a waste. Up to the individual and their circumstances to figure out where that point lies at.

myg30
05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
The only HF wrenches I’ve broken are the ones I put a cheater pipe or a wrench inside a wrench to get extra leverage. I also have, and broke other brand small wrenches when abused.
HF small screwdrivers are not that great for constant use on terminals like wiring panels all day every day.
The larger wrench sets over 1” I have for working on my tractor, ford truck,
they have served me well so far.
I keep a roll up combo standard/ metric set wrenches in my car, truck and barn
just to have handy and they have not even rusted yet.
Impact sockets +1, quick clamps for lite use +1
Ratchets I prefer a better quality for real work, but extra,spare sets to have handy all over barn,basement,car,truck you just can’t beat the price !

Mike

jonp
05-11-2019, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't make a living with them but I have a shed full of HB tools. For non-professionals like me they work very well. I can't see paying Snap On or Blackhawk prices for something I might use once or twice a year.

Read Lightman's post. I agree 100%

izzyjoe
05-11-2019, 10:34 PM
I've worked at many a shop in the last 25 years, and currently work in a shop that works almost everything! Our techs have a different variety of tools, and we all seem to get work done with whatever we have on hand. I figured out a long time ago that I wanted to make a living, not the Tool man make a living off me! I realize that certain brands have there positive, I've made out quite well using craftsman sockets, wrenches, but I will not use a craftsman ratchet, and if you hand me one, I'll will politely throw it a country mile! And I hate cheap screwdrivers. And if you don't know just about all the hand tools now are made in China, even the ones off the tool trucks! Cheap tools have come a long way these days, I buy a lot of tools from HF, Amazon and other places that have budget tools. If some were tell me I couldn't work for them cause I had cheap tools, I'd give them a piece of my mind! It's not the tool, it's the man that knows how to use the tools!

gnostic
05-12-2019, 08:32 AM
I've never broken a wrench of any brand, I lose them...

izzyjoe
05-12-2019, 08:59 PM
I've broken them, but I was doing something stupid, like using a cheater pipe, or double wrenching! And yes I have the skint knuckles to prove it!

GONRA
11-30-2021, 11:37 AM
Waaay back, GONRA aways purchased Craftsman 6, 8 & 12 pt. SOCKETS at local Sears.
(Picked up lottsa SnapOn's in the street too over the decades....)

NOW need advice on STRONG 1/4 & 3/8 inch drive SOCKET sets for the Grandsons.
Really wanna get 'em (new) on Amazon.com too.

Not sure if the Craftsman Brand quality has survived all the Sears dissolution stuff?
Anyway - need suggested brand that can be found on Amazon.com!
THANX guys!

Mal Paso
11-30-2021, 12:30 PM
Waaay back, GONRA aways purchased Craftsman 6, 8 & 12 pt. SOCKETS at local Sears.

Not sure if the Craftsman Brand quality has survived all the Sears dissolution stuff?
THANX guys!

Craftsman is now owned by Stanley. I bought a full set of combination wrenches and 3/8 extensions which have been great. The combination wrenches were USA made, fully polished, nice.

Cosmic_Charlie
11-30-2021, 12:55 PM
I have a lot of S&K tools. Bought them at the auto parts store over 30 years ago. Our local Harware store still has some in stock. Seeing how Craftsman and others moved production to China I suppose the Chicoms learned how to make some o.k. tools. Been thinking I need a set for the basement instead of running out to the garage all the time. HF is not all bad......

rbuck351
11-30-2021, 01:01 PM
For good tools at a fair price, I get powerbilt from O'Reilly Auto parts. I have wrenches, ratchets and sockets that are 30+ years old and other than losing a few they have all worked well. I worked in a small auto engine rebuild shop where I rebuilt engine parts and after hours I pulled and installed the engines.

I prefer 3/8" drive ratchets and sockets over 1/2" drive because of the more convenient size and tend to use them harder rather than using the more bulky 1/2" drive. I assume powerbilt are Chinese but I have abused them without issue and they are far cheaper than SnapOn.

Some times you need to get a certain tool that can only be bought from a quality tool company. About 50 years ago I paid $10 for a single SnapOn 10mm wrench because it was the only 10mm wrench I could find that would fit in a very tight spot on certain Honda motorcycles and I worked on a bunch of them.

I remember when a cheap Chinese 40 piece 3/8 drive ratchet set cost $9.99 and really wasn't worth 99 cents. After 60 years of turning wrenches for a living, I can usually tell a cheap tool from a good one just by looking. I don't even put cheap tools in my cars although there are good tools that are not SnapOn price.

I have a set of Chinese micrometers (1-4 inch) that are as good as any other mics I have used. China knows how to build quality tools but I sure they are not using HF tools to build their submarines, airplanes and rockets.

mtnman31
11-30-2021, 01:45 PM
I have lots of Harbor Freight tools. I generally use them for lighter tasks or tasks that I have to do just every once in a while. You just have to have realistic expectations when buying/using them. For example, I expect their allen wrenches to strip and/or round when used heavily. But at their prices, I can keep a set of metric and standard keys in my garage, some in my basement, and some in my truck.

Comparison testing of a variety of wrenches at different price points. His channel has lots of tool tests that I find useful and interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyOd05PUix4

Handloader109
11-30-2021, 02:27 PM
quite interesting. Bluepoint brand which is a Snapon brand is relatively decent price point tool. 62 pc set of sockets is $154 list. Oh, made in Taiwan....
at least not mainland chine

Scrounge
11-30-2021, 03:31 PM

I haven't had any of them break, yet. They're generally pretty well built. I've used them at home, and at work. This is wrenches we're talking about. Don't feel the same way about their locking pliers. Those are pretty crappy. Vise Grip all the way! Used to buy Craftsman, still buy Crescent brand when I can get it, and Channellock. They're still great.

Best place for Pittsburgh tools is in boxes that are shared at work, and those you need to leave in a vehicle. It doesn't sting so bad when you have to replace them.

bangerjim
11-30-2021, 04:24 PM
Rule of mine: If you make a living with a tool, buy the best quality you can, even if you thing you cannot afford it at the time! Wasted job time is far more expensive.

If you are just weekend tinkering in the garage, the HF junk is probably OK for causal occasional use. Craftsman used to be good....now it's Chicom with a warranty.

Buy American 100%. There are still American-made quality tools out there, like Channel-Lok and others.

MT Gianni
11-30-2021, 09:01 PM
Interesting comment, I have broken more Channel lock brand pliers than any other. For me the metal splits open or cracks across the adjustment bars. I would guess 5 pair in the last 20 years.

ascast
11-30-2021, 09:15 PM
I was going to stay out of this but.... any full grown man can twist off any bolt/nut your going after with a 1/4 inch drive tool. Spending any more than HF prices is just plain stupid. I have a HF 3/4 drive set for farm stuff. I have yet to break one since the early '80's when they were mail order only. I buy a lot of yard sale tool set and fleabay stuff. Not trying to sell HF, just saying they are worth what you pay. Electic tools not so much. They had nut busters which were great but would break.

Mal Paso
11-30-2021, 09:20 PM
Taiwan is not Chinese nor is it Communist. They produce some of the best tools, period.

Craftsman tools not made in the USA look to be from the Apex Tool Group which is Weller, Gear Wrench, Crescent, and Jacobs to name a few. All the Apex tools I've purchased have come from Taiwan and have been very good.

The USA made Craftsman wrenches I bought NEW a couple years ago were probably made by Western Forging and are very nice.

Finster101
11-30-2021, 09:34 PM
Yeah, the HF sockets might last because they are twice the thickness of quality tools. Try getting them on a bolt head in a recessed pocket like is found on most motors today. I made a living turning wrenches for the last 40 years. There is no HF in my box.

rbuck351
11-30-2021, 11:31 PM
For really good pliers check out the Knipex brand. I keep a set of their 8" water pump pliers in the side pocket of my work pants always. They are not cheap but mine look like new after about ten years of hard use.

Omega
12-01-2021, 01:30 AM
I worked for a JD dealership for about a year as a lot manager, as such I didn't get a tool allowance. But I had to wrench a bunch of stuff on and off the trade-ins, so needed tools. I wasn't about to use my Craftsman tools and leave them there. So I bought a few HF sockets, wrenches, hammers etc, and I have to say they held up quite well. The mechanics had snap-on, since the truck showed up at least once or twice a week, and the tool allowance, but some had some HF tools too. I would love to stay US made, but unfortunately they are far and few between, and since I don't make money with my tools, I just can't afford them.

samari46
12-01-2021, 01:37 AM
Bought a complete set of sockets inch and metric along with wrenches kobalt brand as sold by lowe's. Never a problem. But still have old craftsman, proto, kline, and the list goes on. Even have a set of open end wrenches that were made in south korea. Used them occcasionally when I had installed a ball hitch on my kubota towing bar. Loaned to my neighbor who owns a garage in town. Saved him the trip into town. Good tools are well worth their initial investment, older ones even more so. Frank

remy3424
12-01-2021, 08:25 AM
Funny how something like this thread resonates with everyone with strong options...sounds like about everyone has "tried" HF. I tinker on the weekends and their sockets are fine for me. I think I have broke only one impact socket, but I am not using them daily. I will not buy their electric or battery powered tools, clamps or pliers....pretty much anything that moves or adjusts, you might think twice. (possible exception, when the angle grinders are $10, you might try a couple, won't last long, but disposiable for sure at that price) If you use daily, they just aren't what you want. I have had limited luck with their pneumatic tools, (impact gun maybe, nailers no). I have pretty much replaced most of those with Dewalt 20 volts now. I did buy a PC gun...still in the box maybe 4 years later...glad shake-n-bake got going before I had to deal with that. I do buy abrasive and cut-off disks there, they are OK.

Gator 45/70
12-01-2021, 10:44 AM
Proto, Mac, Snap-on and a few S&K brand tools, All are over 45 years old.
Since I only use American made tools my hands are more smoother and youthful looking, Also softer to the touch.

If your paying Chi-Com for anything ....You're a traitor to the few hard working American people left around. But then again ....Try buying anything the Communists don't have their fingers in !!!

Soundguy
12-01-2021, 10:55 AM
I've goty plenty.. only ever broke 1.. using it as a pry bar with a pipe.. walked in..walked out. never even saw a register. manager handled it.

it didnt match my set looks wise.. but was close.

zarrinvz24
12-01-2021, 10:56 AM
Craftsman is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker. For all of us USA made tools fans, good news is on the horizon. They've built a new production facility outside of Fort Worth Texas to manufacture hand tools in-house, in the USA.

Harbor Freight is okay for some things. If I am going to buy a tool that I know I am only likely to use once or twice, sure. Basic hand tools that take a beating pretty much any job that I do - no thanks, I'll stick to one of the USA brands. Even if that means I need to buy used or vintage equipment.

Gator 45/70
12-01-2021, 11:07 AM
Craftsman is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker. For all of us USA made tools fans, good news is on the horizon. They've built a new production facility outside of Fort Worth Texas to manufacture hand tools in-house, in the USA.

Harbor Freight is okay for some things. If I am going to buy a tool that I know I am only likely to use once or twice, sure. Basic hand tools that take a beating pretty much any job that I do - no thanks, I'll stick to one of the USA brands. Even if that means I need to buy used or vintage equipment.

Right on ! Ton's of US tools at the flea market !!!

downzero
12-01-2021, 11:20 AM
If you want a good quality set of wrenches, there's basically one thing you need to be concerned about: they need to be "Made in USA."

I have had Craftsman hand tools for years, but once I saw "China" on them at the store, I am done with the brand and I am confident that is the right decision.

There are plenty of brands out there making tools in America, not just the tool trucks. SK and Klein are on my short list.

I am bummed that they ruined the Craftsman brand. It was one of the great remaining affordable iconic American brands. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they let it go to China.

KCSO
12-01-2021, 11:22 AM
In actual testing they are about 3/4 as strong as Mac or Snap On. You need to decide if the difference is worth ot to you. After i broke two puttin a motor in my brother's car I GAVE the rest to him and brought my good tools from work.

zarrinvz24
12-01-2021, 11:49 AM
If you want a good quality set of wrenches, there's basically one thing you need to be concerned about: they need to be "Made in USA."

I have had Craftsman hand tools for years, but once I saw "China" on them at the store, I am done with the brand and I am confident that is the right decision.

There are plenty of brands out there making tools in America, not just the tool trucks. SK and Klein are on my short list.

I am bummed that they ruined the Craftsman brand. It was one of the great remaining affordable iconic American brands. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they let it go to China.

When Sears was purchased by K-Mart it was the beginning of the end. I wasn't a fan of SBD tools, but I do have to say that they've recognized that USA made Craftsman is important. I'm keeping my mind open and waiting to see the tools in person before I judge them.

frkelly74
12-01-2021, 12:31 PM
I got Thorson ratchets in the 60s when I was in high school. The 3/8 handle stripped after about 25 years of fairly hard use. The 1/4'' handle disappeared somehow and I have a Husky and another shorty menards handle to replace it. The 1/2 is as good as it ever was , it being a lot beefier. I have picked up two sets of 3/8 Craftsman sets that were almost complete and several 3/8 Craftsman handles. I have plenty of wrenches to spare and plenty of spare sockets. The 3/8 handle I got at Auto Zone fell apart right away. It had a nice chrome job on it though. I think that was named Great Neck or something.

TyGuy
12-01-2021, 12:33 PM
I have been a Honda Automotive tech for about 17 years and my box is home to many different tool brands. When I first started I came in with Craftsman tools and supplemented with Snap On because he was the only truck that came around. They were much better than my Craftsman ones. I changed dealerships and lost my Snap On guy but ended up with new one along with Matco and Cornwell. I started buying Cornwell since the price was significantly better and the warranty was the same. Snap On is still a better tool but not by as much as the price difference. Having the tool guy come to the shop every week has saved me plenty of times. I know I’m overpaying but I don’t mind as much when I have that support.

We have lost all of our tool trucks except for Gear Wrench, which has never lived up to my expectations. Now I don’t have that support and have a cardboard box full of broken tools of all different brands that need to be warrantied but no tool vender to make it happen. I know I can mail them in but then you’re paying for shipping and relying on the package arriving intact. One of my other techs had a package full of broken warranty tools get lost in shipping. He was out hundreds of dollars.

I have resorted to Harbor Freight’s Icon line for back up replacements until I can flag down the appropriate dealers to warranty my good tools in person. One particular HF tool I have been impressed with is their long handled, swivel head 1/2” ratchet. It’s not as long as my broken Cornwell version so it sometimes needs a cheater bar for added persuasion but it has held up to some serious abuse. I would put it up against a craftsman equivalent any day of the week. It’s not as long or comfortable as the Snap On version and the gear teeth aren’t quite as smooth but it was probably 1/4 the price and is getting the job done.

Ickisrulz
12-02-2021, 08:52 AM
Tekton seems like a good brand to me. Now I am not a professional and I have never broken a wrench or socket, so my experience is limited. I have a few sockets sets, a set of wrenches, some pliers and screwdrivers; all purchased within the last two years.

Tekton will ship you tools with free shipping and you generally get them within 3 days. There is no limit to buy either. If for some reason you break something, you just have to send them a picture of the item and they get a replacement out quickly.

Most of Tekton's products are made in Taiwan, some in the US and a few in China. Tekton's prices are less than half that of SK.

john.k
12-03-2021, 01:55 AM
I was a mechanic for 40 odd years,from 15,and have never got an exchange for a busted tool.......all my working tools have the chrome worn off ,soon as I stopped using them ,they went rusty....i was working with some clowns that would bust one impact socket after another with a torque multiplier.,and claim replacement on them,even tho Snapon claim impact arent replaceable........Anyhoo,I lost more than broke ,and just bought more.

2A-Jay
12-03-2021, 02:09 AM
I have some HF T-handle Allen Wrenches both Metric and SAE. I have a few of their Digital Calipers. Have lasted me years so far. I won't buy anything really critical from H/F.

higgins
12-03-2021, 05:19 PM
Cheap tools are good to carry in your boat tool box. If you drop them in the lake no big loss. Same goes for needle nose pliers, knives, etc. used while fishing.

alamogunr
12-04-2021, 12:16 AM
I've never earned my living turning wrenches. I bought my first wrenches, a small Proto set of metric combination wrenches because my first car out of college was a Volkswagen bug. Ever since when I bought tools, I tried to get quality. Never Snap-On. Now that I have been retired for about 15 years, I don't use tools every day. Only when something around the house needs attention.

Back about 25 years ago I got interested in radio. Thought I had to have all those small tools. Ran across a complete set of Xcelite tools from a company that was getting out of business. I think I paid about $250. Could be way off. It is this exact set except for the case. Mine is plain luggage.

https://www.toolfetch.com/Xcelite-TCA100ST-17-5-8-x-12-5-8-x-7-7-8-Aluminum-Attache-Tool-Case-with-Tools?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpCT-TCA100STN&sc_intid=CT-TCA100STN&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuL_qzqLJ9AIVF4bICh39WwJ-EAQYBCABEgKmj_D_BwE

Price now is $1600

BeeMan
12-04-2021, 01:20 PM
Two best excerpts from this whole thread:

Buying more than you need is a waste. Paying money for less than will do the job is also a waste. Up to the individual and their circumstances to figure out where that point lies at.
And
If your (sic) paying Chi-Com for anything ....You're a traitor to the few hard working American people left around. But then again ....Try buying anything the Communists don't have their fingers in !!!

Nothing in the world of tools stays the same. A person needs to look at the needs and options based on who makes what at the time of purchase. I have and use a conglomeration of everything from WW2 era US name brand tools to current offerings from Blackhawk, Klein, and better quality private labels from Taiwan. I stopped buying anything from mainland China because my value proposition includes whether my purchase will continue the erosion of the US manufacturing industry and economic markets.

My son, who has a mobile mechanic business has pointed me to Tekton. He has had very good results, had no problem with warranty on the 1 item that broke. They are US based with country of origin listed for most products on their website. Works for me.

MaryB
12-04-2021, 03:45 PM
I used Harbor Freight tools for years but had gotten to where many were missing and I needed to replace them.

Decided on a new toolbox at the same time and I wanted something big enough to hold everything. I went to Northern Tools for the toolbox and started looking at their hand tools. Klutch brand, lifetime warranty, Northern Tool has stores all over the place so getting to one is easy...

I bought the biggest set of mechanics tools Klutch makes. I now have every specialty socket and wrench I will ever need.

Went with a Homack toolbox, had very good reviews, well made of heavy gauge steel, drawers lock in when closed, have to lift and pull to open... and it is DEEP. Compared to my 2 small cheap toolboxes it is like a beer can compared to a tin food can in construction

https://i.imgur.com/srbOTBk.jpg

mdatlanta
12-04-2021, 04:25 PM

THANX guys!

I have had very good luck with Tekton sockets and wrenches. All purchased on Amazon at reasonable prices. I have never had to use the warranty, but reports I’ve read from those who did were favorable.

mdatlanta
12-04-2021, 04:27 PM

THANX guys!

I have had very good luck with Tekton sockets and wrenches. All purchased on Amazon at reasonable prices. I have never had to use the warranty, but reports I’ve read from those who did were favorable. Also, unlike some other brands, Tekton does not skip “rarely used” sizes which was a big selling point for me.