PDA

View Full Version : brass for 35 REMINGTON

toot
05-05-2019, 09:36 AM
what can i use to make them fro and how do i do it? i have a REMINGTON MOD. 4I, rifle. slide action, so cambering is more critical than a bolt action, thanks.

RED BEAR
05-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Why make it just buy new brass seems everyone carries it.

jsn
05-05-2019, 01:24 PM
There was a guy on here making them from military 7.62x51mm, I believe he passed away recently. The 35 Rem base and rim are smaller than 7.62/308, so you either need a lathe or swaging die to make them smaller.

Tripplebeards
05-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Go buy a couple of bags for 25 bucks each brand new Remington brass and be done with it. It’s not like an AR were you going to shoot thousands of rounds through it and melt the barrel it’s a hunting rifle. After a couple hundred rounds of load(which is more than 99.9% of people of ever shot their rifles)development it probably will sit and not get shot until you do your hunt with it like all my rifles, LOL . Buy two bags of 50 count brass and it will probably last you a lifetime if you don’t lose them.

In my opinion I would only make brass for rounds that are extremely expensive or ones that are hard to find...my 375 for instance. The casings were going for 4 to 6 dollars a shell a few years ago in that case you just neck up some 300 RUMs that were easier to find than about a buck or two apiece. I think the 375 RUMs are still priced that way. Same with 35 whelen until it started getting popular again. Necking up a 3006, 270, or 280 and calling it a day. But the 35 Remington’s are pretty calm and you can find them everywhere and they’re cheap just buy some brand new brass and call it a day.

Especially with an old gun like yours. I’d hate to brake it fire forming brass and imo that gun isn’t going to hold up to hundreds of firings before things brake and parts aren’t available anymore for it. I bought a 7600 pump about 15 years ago and have a marlin 336 both in 35 rem. Modern guns that are made to shoot modern loads and propellants. I’d tell you to use some low powered loads in your rifle similar to the velocity and pressures offered back when that rifle was in production or your going to be extremely unhappy when your gun brakes and come apart in your hands. I’m sure you already know all of this. Just hate to see a great classic old gun wrecked.

uscra112
05-05-2019, 05:49 PM
The .35 Rem when it was new was loaded the same as the common 200 grain loads are today. Still, I'd like to see him take good care of his old rifle. Since this is a cast bullet forum, get a 358315 mould or equivalent, cast with 50-50 wheelweights and lead, load 29.5 grains of RL-7 and go make some venison. (That was one of my father's loads for his 336 Marlin.) Mild pressure, very pleasant to shoot. In years gone by I fired a short ton of 158 grain semi-wadcutters through that same Marlin after he passed away.

Brass here: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/811

redhawk0
05-05-2019, 05:55 PM
I think real 35 Rem brass will be around for quite some time. Marlin rifles kept it alive...and now Henry is offering the 35 Rem...That should keep the Brass coming for decades to come. Just MHO.

redhawk

uscra112
05-05-2019, 06:03 PM
I think real 35 Rem brass will be around for quite some time. Marlin rifles kept it alive...and now Henry is offering the 35 Rem...That should keep the Brass coming for decades to come. Just MHO.

redhawk

Not to mention the T/C Contender barrels in .35 Remington.

NyFirefighter357
05-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Just watch Hornady 35 Rem brass maybe shorter to accommodate their ballistic tip bullets.

enfield
05-05-2019, 09:07 PM
hornady is the proper length

Prodigal Son
05-05-2019, 11:45 PM
241158I have found Hornady to be right on! I have the 141 in 35 Remington shooting the RCBS 200 GC and it is loving it! Just put a scope on it and have yet to do more than bore sight it! Will shoot it in this week, planning on a bear this fall good Lord will!

Tonto
05-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Its always fun to see responses in a case forming thread recommending you go get some factory cases. I like your style, make it if you can, who cares what is out there, the skills you will learn will translate to other things and perhaps its the process that provides the thrill and feeling of achievement.

toot
05-06-2019, 08:40 AM
i'm not dumb. i know i can buy them. that is not what i asked. i asked what can i make them from? i enjoy reforming brass into other calibers.i guess most buy what they want to shoot? i have been reforming brass for oddball calibers for over 50+yrs, is is a great accomplishment when you make a case for an obsolete weapon. this one i haven't done.

toot
05-06-2019, 08:46 AM
thank you. many years ago reforming brass to other calibers was the only to shoot foreign country's weapons.if us old timers didn't experiment making them, it would either be forgotten. and you would hope some brass company MAY come out with the caliber you wanted? yes there is a tooth fairy.

WRideout
05-06-2019, 08:48 AM
I have a pile of 35 Rem brass I can't use. I'll PM you.

Wayne

EVR
05-06-2019, 08:57 AM
i'm not dumb. i know i can buy them. that is not what i asked. i asked what can i make them from? i enjoy reforming brass into other calibers.i guess most buy what they want to shoot? i have been reforming brass for oddball calibers for over 50+yrs, is is a great accomplishment when you make a case for an obsolete weapon. this one i haven't done.

I get it!

A few years ago I decided to figure out if I could make Jap 6.5 out of 8x57. Yup! What a pain, but it can be done and I did it with a cobbled together set of dies, without requiring any Corbin stuff.

Just wanted to know how...just in case.

Then we bought a bunch of Graf. LOL.

pworley1
05-06-2019, 10:12 AM
I also like to make brass for my rifles out of what is available even if commericial brass is easy to get. You never know when it might not be. I also do it just for the fun of it. I have made 35 Remington brass from 308 by running it through a lee .458 sizing die and then the 35 remington sizing die. This will also swage down the rim and you may have to clean it up a little but the brass works fine.

EVR
05-06-2019, 10:36 AM
I also like to make brass for my rifles out of what is available even if commericial brass is easy to get. You never know when it might not be. I also do it just for the fun of it. I have made 35 Remington brass from 308 by running it through a lee .458 sizing die and then the 35 remington sizing die. This will also swage down the rim and you may have to clean it up a little but the brass works fine.

What I was curious about when I started my endeavor was whether the primer pocket dimensions would be altered. They were not. The 6.5 Jap was a little trickier due to the semi-rim but I wound up using a pushthru method and hoped the rifle's extractor would be forgiving.

It was.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-06-2019, 11:50 AM
From 308 - expand neck, swage base and/or trim base in a lathe, maybe recut extractor groove, maybe recut primer pocket after base swaging, full length resize, trim to length; 303 british,30-40 Krag, expand necks, turn off rim, cut extractor groove, full length size trim to length. Those are the two most likely processes if you just must form your brass from something else. The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions by John J. Donnelly and The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions by George Nonte have many different processes to convert brass, mostly interesting, many really reach the limits of safety, practicality. 'Anybody' with a small lathe can produce cartridge brass, IF YOU JUST GOTSDA!

toot
05-06-2019, 03:51 PM
EVR, thanks for the info.i and you have been there, for i have done it also. works and use brass that i plentiful to make it out of. if we loose a few, so be it!, move on.

toot
05-06-2019, 03:53 PM
Mostly LeverGuns, thanks also for the info. i have copied it in my favorites.

toot
05-06-2019, 03:58 PM
pworley1, got it thanks for the come back. wrote it down. seems like a lot of you guys have been there? we all don't jump up and go out and buy brass? if the brass we need is not to be had, they will be asking what i am, what can i make it out of?

toot
05-06-2019, 04:06 PM
EVR, i find it is easier to make 6.5x55 JAP out of 220 SWIFT, witch i will never get be cause i have a REMINGTON MOD. 700-BDL. that does the same thing and doesn't burn the barrel out. if i loose a few in the process so what, they were given to me by a site member that was going to scrap them.

toot
05-06-2019, 04:09 PM
WRideout, thanks. I will be in touch.

EVR
05-06-2019, 05:16 PM
EVR, i find it is easier to make 6.5x55 JAP out of 220 SWIFT, witch i will never get be cause i have a REMINGTON MOD. 700-BDL. that does the same thing and doesn't burn the barrel out. if i loose a few in the process so what, they were given to me by a site member that was going to scrap them.

I've read of that.

I think it's called the Intelligent Option.

Not having that option available to me, I went with 8x57!

I did have a lot of 8x57 laying around, in my defense. :D

salpal48
05-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Graf is now running a sale on 35 remington brass

toot
05-06-2019, 06:56 PM
why does everybody mention, 35 REMINGTON brass is on sale here and there? isn't the name of this site-case forming/re forming? that's what a lot of us guys like to do. make do with what we have at hand. heck buying it ain't no fun and it costs.

salpal48
05-06-2019, 08:13 PM
I do a lot of case forming. I like it . it enables me to purchase rifles and a challenge. There are many times that it is impractical and a wast of time. to me 35 rem is a waste of my time. Other don't think so.
No one is saying not to do it.

jsn
05-06-2019, 08:43 PM
Here are a couple of links of threads started by former member GRUMPA on 308 to 35 Rem conversion.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?276255-308-to-35-Rem-done-my-way

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?282752-35Rem-Brass-Question

RED BEAR
05-06-2019, 10:12 PM
Sorry i didn't mean to imply you were dumb. Just never considered anyone would want to form brass that was readily available. But to each his own.

toot
05-07-2019, 08:11 AM
sadly- GRUMPA passed from this earth. he will be and is sadly missed by so many. i corresponded with him many times over the years, and asked him one time how to make 7.5 M/M, ITALIAN cases out of what, what do i use for the base brass. he came back and said don't bother because i am sending you a package of 100 7.5M/M brass cases. RIP, GRUMPA.

rbuck351
05-12-2019, 01:14 AM
I like making brass for rounds that are hard to find, expensive or impossible to get. I have made 7.62x25 from 38spl before it was easy to get. I made 30 Rem from 30/30 before I found a bunch of 30 Rem cheap. I have made 22 mag center fire from 5.7x28. This one is not easy and not worth the effort to me but it is possible. I don't make brass for things I can get easily and cheap as it isn't worth the effort to me. Sometimes I make things just to see if I can and that is reward enough. The things we choose to do don't have to make sense to anyone but ourselves. If I needed 35 Rem I would buy it new or trade for fired brass but as I have plenty I have no interest in making it.

EDG
05-12-2019, 10:46 AM
You might try swaging a 7.62 case to .35 Rem before you think it is a good alternative.
You can like it all you want until you find it does not work as well as you think.

why does everybody mention, 35 REMINGTON brass is on sale here and there? isn't the name of this site-case forming/re forming? that's what a lot of us guys like to do. make do with what we have at hand. heck buying it ain't no fun and it costs.