PDA

View Full Version : Boolit = Bad. We're er, less then competent :-)

Buckshot
10-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Great post, Buckshot. Thanks!

(I think your keyboard may have an intermittent problem, though - half the time you typed "bullet" it came out "boolit").
AH! Nah, that's just from another board : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php Cast lead is Boolits, and lead boolits wearing Full Length Gas Checks (Jacketed) are bullets.

Rick
Wonder why they choose to emulate illiterate spelling - kind of makes us handloaders sound stupid.

I'll bet that thoughtful-looking mule could do better!
(Bit of sarcasm here) You forgot the smiley face. I thought for a minute you might have been serious.

Rick
I'm very serious. One thing we shooters don't need is behavior in public that makes us appear less than competent. (And that is a very intelligent face on the mule!)

Just thought I'd share this with the rest of you boneheads :-)

........................Buckshot

dubber123
10-22-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm sure this was coming from a certified "firearms expert/guru". He did probably glean a little info from this, he had previously thought that shiny silver stuff in his J-words was aluminum.....

dromia
10-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Don't you just feel sorry for people that have no sense of fun.

Now no names no pack drill but in the interests of others hows about a heads up as to which board this gentlemen hails, just so as I can avoid the place you understand. PM is fine. :mrgreen:

osage
10-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Thanks Buckshot. I just finished taking FEMA tests and need a good laugh.

IcerUSA
10-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Kind a like , mold = fungi and mould = a vessel into which molten lead is poured to make boolits . :)

Keith

DLCTEX
10-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Kinda wish you hadn't told him about this board, wouldn't want the spelling police to come pay us a visit. Sometimes half the fun is trn ta figger wat ter sayn. DALE

missionary5155
10-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I personally like the distinction between BOOLITS and that store bought representation of generic flying items. :)

Heavy lead
10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Besides, boolits fit right in with Halloween.

44man
10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
My keyboard came with a button that says "boolit." Makes it easier! :mrgreen:
I say "mold" instead of "mould" because it means I don't have to find another letter! [smilie=1: One finger typing is a pain as it is.
Since both mean the same thing in the dictionary and it has been argued about forever, I just gave up.
We are smarter then all those nuts anyway and since new words are invented and added to the dictionary all the time, I expect our word will go in too. We should send it to them! :castmine:

jonk
10-22-2008, 09:08 AM
I shan't labour to replace my tyre on my lorry; nor shall I worry about the bowser that drives by while I do so.

Because I don't live in Britain.

So it is mold. Armor. Favor. Etc.

The bullet vs. boolit thing has always irked me too. I understand the difference we are drawing here, I even inquired on and got the history behind it. And that's cool; but it still irks me.

eka
10-22-2008, 09:32 AM
castboolits.gunloads.com is the sites address. And at the top of the main page is CAST BOOLITS. Where did this genius think he was. He thought your keyboard was defective:confused:

Well I can agree with him on one thing; there are a lot of less than competent people around these days. That's why I come here, to get away from them. So, maybe he'll take his guns to the nearest pawn shop and step out of the way of us progressive thinking, historical minded, boolit pouring craftsmen. :mrgreen:

Keith

KCSO
10-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Boolits+Mould=Fun Guy ???

Don't worry Buckshot we know what you mean.

carpetman
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I consider boolit to be an inside deal-- makes sense here to the insider but looks stupid to an outsider. Ever see a business sign with a misspell---and what did you think? For example I've seen people in the back hoe business with signs that read "back hole work". That's not a misspell but about the same. In USA it's mold---other places it might be mould.

Heavy lead
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
He probably won't go to Hooters either, because it's not spelled:
huters

Pepe Ray
10-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Buckshot;
Was he one of those guys who refer to his Winchester as his "weapon"?
Pepe Ray

Springfield
10-22-2008, 12:46 PM
My Lyman boxes say "mould" on them, my LEE boxes say "mold". Maybe you can only use the "u" if they are more expensive? Kind of a class segregation thing[smilie=1:

454PB
10-22-2008, 01:26 PM
When I first read "boolits", I thought it was a misspelling, but questioning it brought me here back in 2005. That's a good thing.

Now that we have so many members (and lurkers), it has become a sign that the poster knows a little bit more about casting than average.

yondering
10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
When I first read "boolits", I thought it was a misspelling, but questioning it brought me here back in 2005. That's a good thing.

Now that we have so many members (and lurkers), it has become a sign that the poster knows a little bit more about casting than average.

Me too. I first saw it spelled this way on another forum (which does have a lot of barely literate members) and assumed it was just an ignorant mis-spelling. The word does look ignorant to outsiders, but is commonly accepted here. I try to remember to use it here on this board, but I don't use that spelling on other boards.

C1PNR
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Me too. I first saw it spelled this way on another forum (which does have a lot of barely literate members) and assumed it was just an ignorant mis-spelling. The word does look ignorant to outsiders, but is commonly accepted here. I try to remember to use it here on this board, but I don't use that spelling on other boards.
I do. That way I can tell by the response whether the person responding may be of some help.

Besides, it's fun to tweak a nose now and then.[smilie=1:

Calamity Jake
10-22-2008, 03:00 PM
"Besides, it's fun to tweak a nose now and then."

BOY you got that right

imashooter2
10-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm with carpetman. To outsiders, the term boolit makes us look foolish. I never use the word anywhere but here.

Ghugly
10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Buckshot;
Was he one of those guys who refer to his Winchester as his "weapon"?
Pepe Ray

Thank you, Pepe Ray. That one always steams me. A screwdriver is a tool, until and unless it's used as a weapon. And, in my opinion, the guy who calls every gun a weapon is a tool as well.

Red River Rick
10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
In USA it's mold---other places it might be mould.

Like in Mooseland?

RRR

TexRebel
10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Also, was ist mit dem Kerl, er nicht wie die Art, wie wir beziehen sich auf die Differenz zwischen cast and jacketed Geschosse, dann Schraube ihn. :Fire: :castmine: :twisted:

waksupi
10-22-2008, 06:58 PM
One plus on the boolit designation. You can tell someone to Google Boolits, and this page comes up. Google bullets, and see what you get.

jhrosier
10-22-2008, 07:17 PM
..... That's why I come here, to get away from them....

+1

There was a discussion of this subject, and us, on one of the Swiss rifle forums.
The moderator "corrected" the spelling in my post on the subject.:roll:
Some folks really get their panties in a bunch over petty things.

There is more fun (the lube grooves thread), fellowship, mentoring and just plain interesting stuff on this forum than any other that I have visited in years, and I like it this way.

I think of the word "Boolit" as a sort of secret handshake that shows that we all share the same basic values and respect for our fellow shooters and boolit casters, no matter how (or how poorly) they spell.:drinks:

Jack

HORNET
10-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Those things that you pour lead into have gotta be spelled MOLD ('cause they grow on you)...LOL
Actually, I was involved in plastic processing for several years and I've designed, had built, set, done processing on, pulled, polished and bought a LOT of MOLDS but no moulds. The spell checker on Firefox doesn't even like that extra letter.

Ricochet
10-22-2008, 09:53 PM
My Lyman boxes say "mould" on them, my LEE boxes say "mold".
Same here. Obviously dropping the "u" is a Lee cost cutting measure.

Buckshot
10-23-2008, 12:58 AM
..............I won't name the board as I don't want none o you "heathern's" goin' o'vair and openin' up a can o whupass on the feller :-)

Just like Pepe Ray mentioning those who call a firearm a weapon. That really irks me too, and I've seen people correct users of the term. Genericly it IS a FIREARM, and is NOT a weapon unless it is used like one. Firearm is the term to use if, "My pre 1964 Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 300 H&H magnum" is a bit unwieldy :-)

However I can see where "He who took exception" is coming from. And as a couple others mentioned being uncomfortable with it on other boards, I can see that point too. However, as any who have been members here for any time at all, we ALL know it's for fun. I've seen it used on other boards, and when you see it, "BINGO".......... you KNOW where they've spent some time :cbpour: Sometimes the user has the same handle as here, and sometimes not. If not, on occasion I've been able to figure out who it was (by their hande there, or what they were posting about).

I suppose really it's a cyber handshake amongst the crew here. Kind of like the Christians of old who'd draw the fish symbol in the dirt to see if the person they were talking to were among the cognoscenti or not :bigsmyl2:

................Buckshot

oneokie
10-23-2008, 01:27 AM
..............I won't name the board as I don't want none o you "heathern's" goin' o'vair and openin' up a can o whupass on the feller :-)

................Buckshot

You are no fun at all. :roll: Party pooper. :drinks:

Bret4207
10-23-2008, 08:11 AM
I've expalined "boolit" so many times that I fanally gave up. I just don't care what other people think, heck with them.

Bob S
10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Obvously, I'm an outsider. I'm an engineer, and "everyone knows" that engineers can't spell or write worth a damn. I've spent 40 years trying to overcome that stigma, so I won't intentionally mispell anything to be "cute" or elitist. But to each his own ...

Resp'y,
Bob S.

felix
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Really, a boolit is spelled booooolit when corrected in terms of pronunciation. Of course, that does not go over well unless the announcer is participating "live" at a cast bullet shoot. Yes, "I are a engineer", too. ... felix

HABCAN
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
'Nuther tempest in th' dang teapot, eh? (Thatthere is Canajun fer "hunh?".) WE have FUN here, alleviating the serious discussions of 'hardness/twist-rate', 'rpm thresholds', and all the other expertise exchanged between us, while helping newbies discover the versatility of The Silver Stream. The site masthead says "Boolits": the term IS a 'secret handshake' among casters and I am proud to use it.

(My rifle is a 'firearm', a 'tool'. Unlike Slick Willy, I keep my 'weapon' secure, LOL.)

9.3X62AL
10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
If all we have to worry about is how we spell BULLET or BOOLIT, I think yer problems are pretty minimal. And I don't give a rip what some anti-gun crank thinks of what I do or how I spell, and they don't want to know what I think of their killjoy hoplophobic Freudian misanthropy, either. Every time this subject comes up, I'm reminded of the Monty Python skit in which The Judge says "I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up!"

TORPEDO POMPOSITY!!

Freightman
10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm reminded of the Month Python skit in which The Judge says "I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up!"

TORPEDO POMPOSITY!![/QUOTE]
I do not speak English anyhow I talk Texican, I am near 70 so it is way to late to change me now, my wife finally gave up after 40 or so years. If she can't how does anyone else expect to.

jjamna
10-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Maybe if they think we are incompetent they will stay away and leave us alone.

Gun Junkie
10-23-2008, 11:15 PM
I found another advantage to the boolits vs bullets spelling. I used to get on the forum at my employer during lunch....they didn't care if you surfed during lunch but they secured us out of anything relating to bullets. Boolits however worked just fine! [smilie=1:

The secret society of booliteers yes!

TCLouis
10-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Guess I am getting to be an old and grouchy curmudgeon . . . Dang I have the qualities to be a gunsmythe.

I call those coated things I buy by the box full are just common bullets

Something I lovingly birth from cast aside wheel weights or sheet lead are boolits.

If others have issues with such minor things, then they can deal with them.

Hey Webster's add new words every year and we are going to bring the correct terminology "BOOLIT" to the new dictionaries of the future.

Anyone else out there ready to fire a shot across the bowe of the pompous asses and birth a new word into Webster's?

Mister Buckshot, he wouldn't be kinda heavy and wear a long coate would he?

runfiverun
10-24-2008, 09:32 PM
i don't even call most of them firearms.
i just say the 358 or your moms mauser or grab my ackley.
ye gods with about 50 rifles you would think one of them was a firearm,or a weapon.
or a black gun, even the dogs know the difference between a shotgun and a rifle.
they also know boolits are hot [don't eat them] and the bullets are shiny [ try and eat them] if they hit the floor.

but it does seem to me that if you spell boolits on another forum.
they are starting to get it , and the guys from here do seem to stick together on the other forums also.

Thumbcocker
10-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Well fellow booliteers, I happen to think that the company here is a he$$ of a lot better class of people than hang out on other forums. I occasionally visit a forum that deals with my favorite type of revolver (note my screen name) and if you are not in a position to have a custom revolver built every couple of months, a member of the inner circle, or a member of the lets all get together and sing the praises of a certain firearms writer club you aren't worth the time of day to them folks.

I have interacted with more decent and knowledgeable people here than anywhere else I have visited. There are folks here that KNOW stuff. They don't have to postulate or regurgitate what they have read. They actually DO stuff. The people here freely share multiple lifetimes worth of priceless experience. No one looks down on anyone just because they may have more book education or money in the bank.

It is a pleasure to be here with you all.