PDA

View Full Version : a Thank You ---

tanstafl10
05-03-2019, 03:24 PM
I do not post much. You all seem to be so much better than I could contribute.
-
But I need to say thanks to Cast Boolits. I have taken advantage of what I have learned here ---
-
Most recently, I started a project last fall ... I got a bug to develop a "cat sneeze" load for a 30-40 Krag that I did not want to shoot at full house loads. The research started from there.
-
Some of you put me on to some old Lyman charts listing their old moulds. Lo and behold there was an old mould (#311252) that I just happened to have. AND it also listed its companion (#311245) was described as one specifically designed for the 30-40 Krag short range 'squib' loads. I figured my 10 gr lighter mould work.
-
The hold-up was that the 30-40Krag is a really big case and 3.0 to 3.5 grs of Unique is an awfully small amount of powder in that biiiggg case, and you know "Kaboom" and all...... Yeah, I got kind of chicken..... maybe even a lot chicken.
-
Please understand that the Krag I have was customized by the father (a local noteworthy gunsmith) of a good friend of mine for this friend's son when the son started deer hunting. Are you seeing the history .. ? Grandfather, Son, and Grandson --- all are gone now.
-
I was not given the rifle, I asked to buy it. I did not want to lose the story behind it. So, no, I did not want to make a mistake and damage the gun....
-
It took some time, but someone here guided me to a good source. Handloader, Dec/Jan 2016. Mike Venterino's article provided the pieces that I needed to have filled in to feel confident to literally "pull the trigger" on this project.
-
Shooting those cat-sneeze loads was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had shooting.
-
Think about it, U.S. Marine Corp used this load for short range practice to sharpen their sight picture/trigger control.... ca. 1898, Spanish American War, Boxer Rebellion ......
-
And fast forward to now,
-
I want to keep shooting, but triple by-pass (3April) is awkward w/ recoil, ---- except the Cat-Sneeze loads have saved the day. No recoil. Ok, so my wife made me wait a of couple weeks, but I am back at it. Just no 300 Win Mags yet.......... lol
-
I do not know who all helped me in this project, I read so many posts, but a big thanks to all !!! You make a difference.
-
Take care.
-

Bookworm
05-03-2019, 07:40 PM
I love it when a plan comes together.:p

rking22
05-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Great story, and I am glad you are enjoying your rifle. Hoping your recovery goes well, that 300 can wait.

Winger Ed.
05-03-2019, 10:35 PM
That's great.

Its always good to see someone get what they want, and not start with max. loads and work up.

lead-1
05-06-2019, 12:43 AM
Glad you were able to get a load worked up to shoot while you recover, there sure is a lot to be learned here.

mdatlanta
05-06-2019, 10:25 PM
Sounds like a happy ending to a good story!

8mmFan
05-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Great story! I second everything you said about this place. I feel very fortunate to have found it. I’m glad it worked out for you.

8mmFan