PDA

View Full Version : I experienced a devastating loss

poppy42
05-02-2019, 10:34 PM
Yesterday as I was preparing to feed my dogs I herd a yelp come out of the bedroom. I I rushed in to see what was the matter, I found one of my beloved Bullmastiffs, Kimmy taking her last breath. Kimmy had a stroke, in a matter of seconds she was gone. My wife and I are beside ourselves. I minute she was her normal happy self the next she was crossing over the rainbow bridge. It was because of her and my other Bullmastiff, Max, that I’m alive today. In 2013 they awoke my wife and I alerting to the fact that I was having a heart attack. She saved my life, I only wish I could have done more to save hers. I miss her dearly. Thanks to the kind folks at Berceuse pet cremation, Kimmy is being cremated. I live in an apartment so my options are limited. Besides my wife already knows that when my time is up my ashes are to be scattered with Kimmys. I can’t thank Richard from Berceuse enough as he is allowing me some time to come up with the cost. After I explain to him that I’m on disability and it would take me a little time to cover the cost he was very understanding. This was certainly not an expense that I planned on. None of that matters. It’s the least I do for My Kimmy
Anyway thanks to all fellow forum members for allowing me to share my pain. I know not everyone understands the pain felt over the loss of a four legged family member. To those that don’t understand, I apologize for my post.
Ray Jankoski

BNE
05-02-2019, 10:50 PM
Ray,
I understand the pain when a dog is lost. It has been over three years since I had to put our Golden Retriever "Honey" down. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Knowing that Kimmy saved your life must have made her all the more special. We have two Golden Doodles now. People laugh at how attached I am to them. I truly pity someone who has not had a dog they truly love. It is impossible to explain. I will pray for you and your wife during this time of loss.

BNE

pcolapaddler
05-02-2019, 10:55 PM
Im very sorry for your loss.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

Idaho45guy
05-02-2019, 11:04 PM
So sorry for your loss and I understand the pain completely.

I have a 12.5 year old Great Dane/Lab mix that I love like one of my own kids. He's beginning to show his age and I know he doesn't have much longer to live. I just hope he goes quickly and painlessly.

I will be devastated as you are now when that day comes. He will be my last as I can't go through that sort of loss again.

kungfustyle
05-02-2019, 11:22 PM
I'm so sorry my friend. My dog passed on the way to the vets. I feel your pain. God bless, only time can heal the passing into great memories of a good friend!

David2011
05-02-2019, 11:24 PM
Poppy,

Lost my English Springer Spaniel many years ago and still feel that feeling that I had when I found her dead. Called a buddy. He volunteered to come over. He said nobody should have to bury their dog alone. She was my unwavering companion when I lost my 28 year old wife to brain cancer. They are so precious to us. I know that as time passes all of the great memories will replace the feelings you’re going through right now. Few among us will have the attachment you do with Kimmy but all too many of us know the terrible loss of such wonderful companions.

Shopdog
05-03-2019, 02:57 AM
So sorry for your loss.

Smoke4320
05-03-2019, 04:46 AM
The bond between man and dog is a beautiful thing.
Think on tbe good times

Thundarstick
05-03-2019, 06:04 AM
It's no wonder dog is God spelled backwards, as they are among his greatest gifts to man! I know how it hurts to lose one "before their time", but the gift they give us far out weighs that pain. I'm sorry your hurting, but it's what we give back, you'll always carry a part of her in you heart as long as you live. Peace be upon you!

lightman
05-03-2019, 06:04 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Its tough to loose a pet.

bensonwe
05-03-2019, 06:18 AM
So sorry for your loss.

RED BEAR
05-03-2019, 06:20 AM
I am very sorry for your loss. My dogs are my best friends and i can't imagine being without them.

bullet maker 57
05-03-2019, 07:06 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Lloyd Smale
05-03-2019, 07:21 AM
ive got my last labs ashes in a nice box my son made and they sit in the living room waiting. Told my wife when I die I want his ashes our present lab and mine mixed together in that box and buried. Told her she could get in on it too if she could find someone to dig the box up!
Yesterday as I was preparing to feed my dogs I herd a yelp come out of the bedroom. I I rushed in to see what was the matter, I found one of my beloved Bullmastiffs, Kimmy taking her last breath. Kimmy had a stroke, in a matter of seconds she was gone. My wife and I are beside ourselves. I minute she was her normal happy self the next she was crossing over the rainbow bridge. It was because of her and my other Bullmastiff, Max, that I’m alive today. In 2013 they awoke my wife and I alerting to the fact that I was having a heart attack. She saved my life, I only wish I could have done more to save hers. I miss her dearly. Thanks to the kind folks at Berceuse pet cremation, Kimmy is being cremated. I live in an apartment so my options are limited. Besides my wife already knows that when my time is up my ashes are to be scattered with Kimmys. I can’t thank Richard from Berceuse enough as he is allowing me some time to come up with the cost. After I explain to him that I’m on disability and it would take me a little time to cover the cost he was very understanding. This was certainly not an expense that I planned on. None of that matters. It’s the least I do for My Kimmy
Anyway thanks to all fellow forum members for allowing me to share my pain. I know not everyone understands the pain felt over the loss of a four legged family member. To those that don’t understand, I apologize for my post.
Ray Jankoski

bedbugbilly
05-03-2019, 07:35 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss - it is never easy to loose such a beloved animal.

As difficult as it is, Kimmy gave you three gifts that no price can be put on . . .

1st . . . she gave you and you're wife her love and devotion . . .

2nd . . . . she saved your lives . . . .

3rd . . . . nd with the help of God, her time was quick and she saved you the difficult choice that you and your wife would have had to make at some point in her life to provide her with no more pain.

My wife and I have no children but we have had dogs our entire married life and they were all our "children". Out of them all, we only had one who died a natural death . . . he was my "buddy" and I let him out in the morning to do his daily trek around the homestead . . . on his way back to me, he dropped dead o a heart attack. It was "his time" and I could not revive him . . but I know he went happy and quickly and didn[t have to suffer with failing health in old age . . . I have always considered what happened as a gift from him to ease the my pain at ever having to decide what was humane.

Out thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife and while it leaves a painful void, let the good memories of Kimmy help you through the tough times. I'm a firm believer that we will all be reunited someday.

Hickok
05-03-2019, 08:03 AM
People who have never been adopted by a good dog will never understand the feeling of loss when a dog passes away.

So sorry for your loss.

Sig556r
05-03-2019, 08:07 AM
I feel you...losing a "family" member always is a heartbreak...we never forget, we just learn to live with the loss...

PBlover429
05-03-2019, 08:36 AM
The saddest thing about owning a dog is that we live longer. That said, life without a dog is an empty life. Our current Golden Retriever (our 4th) is a constant joy and boon companion. Our Bailey (who also is allowed on our bed!):

osteodoc08
05-03-2019, 08:53 AM
My beloved Scout, black lab, had a stroke several years ago and was her demise. It was a cool fall day but she loved to lay out in the sun. As the skies turned dark and started to sprinkle I noticed she wasn’t coming in. I went down to see what was wrong and she had complete Hemi neglect and flaccid on one side. I brought her in and bathed her and washed her overnight. She didn’t improve over night and was beside herself and very anxious about it. I carried her out and fed her her last meal. She was buried on the sunny hill behind our house.

Dogs are mans best friend. They’re here for a short time to remind us about unfettered loyalty and love.

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. Rest assured it was swift and without a doubt they loved you more than life itself.

OS OK
05-03-2019, 09:21 AM
Try to replace your grief with a memory of Kimmy that made you feel her unconditional love and her loyalty....put that picture in your mind and the grief will ease.
I am very sorry for your loss...

https://i.imgur.com/Zr3Rd4D.jpg?2

JBinMN
05-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Sad news...Many of us understand the loss.

Condolences to you & yours!

johniv
05-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Condolences sir. I certainly understand your loss.
John

swheeler
05-03-2019, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, it gets better with time, my Sasha's ashes are on the dresser.

DCP
05-03-2019, 10:39 AM
“Some of you, particularly those who think they have recently lost a dog to ‘death’, don’t really understand this. I’ve had no desire to explain, but won’t be around forever and must.

Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say: ‘No, no, not a good idea. Let’s not go for a walk.’ Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that’s what dogs are. They walk.

It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone (exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don’t teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging its tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: ‘Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.’

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it’s a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not ‘dead.’ There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. You’ve missed so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now.”

MrWolf
05-03-2019, 11:12 AM
I am so sorry. Nothing I can say through tears.

Wag
05-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. My little dogs saved my life, too. I'll tell that story some time.

My heart is with you.

--Wag--

45workhorse
05-03-2019, 12:00 PM
I feel your pain
Sorry for your loss.............

375supermag
05-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Sorry for your loss.
I know how it feels...too many times.
I remember every one all the way back to my boyhood years in the '60s. I remember every dogs name and the little quirks and things they would do and the quizzical looks on their faces when something surprised them.
I miss every one of them.
I have two litter mate Labrador Retrievers now that are 4 years old and can't imagine how I am going to deal with it when they cross over the Rainbow Bridge.
At nearly 65, there probably won't be any more dogs in my life after these two.
So...I spoil them rotten and indulge them.

clum553946
05-03-2019, 02:21 PM
My condolences, so sorry for your loss.

cwlongshot
05-03-2019, 02:32 PM
With much sorro I also offer condolences.

Im sure you wouldn't ask, but if you have a Pay Pal I would appreciate and consider it a honor to give a small donation.

CW

JSnover
05-03-2019, 02:52 PM
I know not everyone understands the pain felt over the loss of a four legged family member.
I heard of a pointless study recently which discovered the loss of a dog to be as difficult as the loss of a loved one. That's because a dog is a Loved One.

cwlongshot
05-03-2019, 02:54 PM
i heard of a pointless study recently which discovered the loss of a dog to be as difficult as the loss of a loved one. That's because a dog is a loved one.
amen!

Cw

johnho
05-03-2019, 08:41 PM
So sorry. I just lost my 18 year old cat and still wait for her to come to bed and lay between our pillows. Best to you.

buckwheatpaul
05-03-2019, 08:46 PM
poppy42 I am so sorry for the loss of Kimmy. We lost two of our puppy children last year and it is a devastating thing and I will pray for peace and comfort for you as well as happy memories of a great dog! Paul

KMac
05-03-2019, 08:58 PM
Ray,
My Chocolate Lab passed away in my arms after having a stroke. Thank you for letting us know and being
able to share your pain with you. It is so hard when a wonderful trustworthy friend leaves us, but remember all of the wonderful times you got to share with them. After a few months I got a wonderful Red Healer puppy and it really helped with everything to start the cycle all over again.

woodbutcher
05-03-2019, 09:38 PM
:-(Over the years,I have lost many cats and dogs.It never gets easier.Really hurt when my Old Man kitty died as he saved mine and my ex wife`s life when he woke us up when our house burned in `88.My condolences.
Leo

Three44s
05-04-2019, 03:25 AM
The only thing worse than losing a pet is to never have one in the first place and the best thing life is having a pet.

Sorry about your loss. Perhaps as the pain softens a bit you can find a place in your heart to adopt another?

Best regards

Three44s

Lloyd Smale
05-04-2019, 05:40 AM
cost me a 150 and that included a nice wooden box that I didn't use but would have been nice if I didn't already have one. that included dropping off at the vet and the vet transporting him 40 miles and bring the box back to the vet for me to pick up. I didn't take advantage of the drop off though. He was put down in the back seat of my truck outside the vet and the wife and I drove to the crematorium in the truck with her in the back seat with his head in her lap. I think we both cried all the way there and all the way back.
We had a small dog and the cremation cost around 250 dollars. Is that a fair amount?

Lloyd Smale
05-04-2019, 05:43 AM
My dad told me something similar the day our last one died. He said that dog will never die till you do.
“Some of you, particularly those who think they have recently lost a dog to ‘death’, don’t really understand this. I’ve had no desire to explain, but won’t be around forever and must.

Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say: ‘No, no, not a good idea. Let’s not go for a walk.’ Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that’s what dogs are. They walk.

It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone (exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don’t teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging its tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: ‘Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.’

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it’s a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not ‘dead.’ There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. You’ve missed so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now.”

Petander
05-04-2019, 08:01 AM
My condolences.

Been there many times,it hurts... I like to think my dogs went to the Moon. I look at the Moon and see them running wild,playing around with all the other dogs. Still get something in my eye occasionally. Beautiful memories.

Human relationships are overrated.

robg
05-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Feel for you.dogs are people too.

poppy42
05-04-2019, 12:58 PM
I just wanted to take a moment and thank all my fellow forum members for the outpouring of sympathy, thoughts and prayers. I’m sorry that I haven’t responded sooner but I have been able to do much of anything the last couple of days .
I’m not asking nor can I except any help but one of my fellow forum members requested that I send my PayPal information so that he could make a donation. I can’t except anything personally this is something I have to do myself. However if someone did want to make a donation I would request that that donation be made to the American bull mastiff rescue organization in Kimmie’s name. My wife and I were rescue volunteers when we lived in Florida and as a matter of fact that’s how we got Kimmy she was a rescue dog at one time. This is the contact information I have
Melissa Bausman
American Bullmastiff Association
FL/GA Rescue Coordinator
bullmastiff.us/rescue
Once again I’m not asking but if somebody wanted to it’s a great organization and they can always use help even if it’s just with a bag of dog food.
Anyway I can’t thank you all enough for your support
Sincerely,
Pam and Ray Jankoski

rl69
05-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Sorry for your loss

V2500
05-04-2019, 02:00 PM
I know how this feels, and it sucks. I'm terribly sorry for your loss.