PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman is back!

troyboy
05-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Looks like SB&D has turned the brand around. Lowes has an outstanding inventory and the Craftsman line is improving by leaps and bounds. Unfortunatly the C3 line is dead and I would venture Kobalt is not going to survive. Maybe Sears will turn around?

osteodoc08
05-01-2019, 08:38 PM
I see it as a marquis of a time gone bye. Sold to the highest bidder and built for the lowest cost. Could be wrong. Been wrong before.

shooterg
05-01-2019, 09:15 PM
If they ain't Made in USA they ain't back.

Texas by God
05-01-2019, 09:18 PM
I’m going to buy a Craftsman mower tomorrow. The last one I had I gave to my daughter after using it for 20 years.

Mal Paso
05-01-2019, 09:22 PM
Stanley bought Craftsman Tools last I heard.

I bought a metric wrench set. Decent Quality/Price. Harbor Freight doesn't believe there are 18mm nuts.

Nueces
05-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Ace hardware stores also carry Craftsman, at least in central Texas. And I discovered last month that they will still honor the lifetime guarantee for tools. Not fun to wave bye-bye to Sears, but some luster remains on the Craftsman brand.

Bazoo
05-01-2019, 10:56 PM
I have some of the new made in china craftsman tools. Better than nothin. I got a bunch from pawn shops that are made in the USA.... Much better than the new. Far as I'm concerned craftsman is dead unless they start making them in the USA again.

Kobalt stuff is okay, probably better than china craftsman. It used to be made in the USA by snap on. Those were real good.

samari46
05-02-2019, 12:39 AM
When the craftsman brand tanked all the hand tools like wrenches,sockets and ratchets that Kobalt made and sold in Lowes was my next choice. Have not been disappointed at all. Sturdy, good quality and although not cheap give me good service for the money. Lowes had been working over their tool world since before Christmas and when they started putting the craftsman brand on the shelves I guessed that they had switched their house brand. Wally world does sell some craftsman stuff. Most of my Craftsman power tools and hand tools are pushing close to 30 years. Still have Proto,Armstrong, Snap On, and a few others. At 72 doubt I'll be buying any craftsman power tools or wrenches any time soon. There are a couple web sites where you can buy replacement parts for almost any power tool sold in the U.S. Have to refurbish some of them. Frank

Hannibal
05-02-2019, 12:56 AM
I bought all the hand tools I'll ever need as a young man. Screwdrivers seem to need occasional replacement no matter who the manufacturer is, otherwise I'm quite happy to not need to worry about it.

MrHarmless
05-02-2019, 02:36 AM
I’m going to buy a Craftsman mower tomorrow. The last one I had I gave to my daughter after using it for 20 years.

Definitely go for it. I bought a Craftsman push mower, model #37460, last year, and aside from sharpening the blades and adding oil once in a while, I have had absolutely no problems with it.

Never had to pull more than three times.

abunaitoo
05-02-2019, 04:27 AM
First set of tool I got were Craftsman.
Back in 1967.
Still have them today.
Over the years more of them joined the family.
along with Proto, snap-on, and others.
I wonder if Lowes, Ace will still honor the lifetime replacement warrenty????

labradigger1
05-02-2019, 06:33 AM
Craftsman lost my business when they quit warranting certain tools that previously had the warranty, pipe cutters and tape measures for example. The death nail was the made in China stamping. They had a great run but I’m done with them.
I bought all my tools when young and rarely need anything new. If it doesn’t say USA then it’s not for me.

bedbugbilly
05-02-2019, 07:32 AM
As the old saying goes - "You can put a pig in a dress and take her to the prom, but when you take her home and fo to kiss her goodnight, you're still kissing a pig."

Years ago, Craftsman had good tools and good warranty - putting the name "Craftsman" on a Chinese made tool doesn't make it the "old Craftsman" that many of us grew up with. I'm not saying that the tools are necessarily bad - some may be excellent - but we live in a disposable society and unfortunately, many of the old tool lines that we respected many years ago no longer exist as they did.

Rick Hodges
05-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Even before they went to China they changed the design of open end and box wrenches. They made the ends much heavier and thicker...reinforced them. I'm sure it cut down on the amount of returns for sprung wrenches, but it also make them more difficult to get into places. My set was my fathers that he purchased in 1948, and except for a few replacement wrenches that I sprung are still going strong.

frkelly74
05-02-2019, 07:43 AM
25' Tape measure and 4' level. both are on their 4th free replacement. It has been a while since I had to try the free replacement but it is encouraging to see that they are still twitching in some iteration. The 4' level I tried to replace at Ace but they didn't have the correct one, but the Sears store in Kalamazoo did at the time, or at least close enough. I traded the slope bubble feature for the magnetic strip, which was a good trade as far as I am concerned. I do not think they were necessarily better than other tools but the free replacement when you cut off your tape or your lever goes off was/is great.

bob208
05-02-2019, 07:45 AM
Lowes does honor the warranty. I am still using craftsman wrenches I bought in 69 even have the top box I bought that same year. I also have proto and s-k.

NWPilgrim
05-02-2019, 10:50 AM
I saw all the red/white Craftsman tools at Lowes but assumed still made in China. After they started that years ago I ended up buying Husky wrenches at Home Depot. Still made in China but HD is only one mile away and the tools look decently designed and have a replacement warranty.

I have my Dad’s Craftsman 1/2” socket set from the late 50s and my own multiple USA sets and wrenches. So if Lowe’s is honoring the legacy warranty I might end up buying replacements for lost items there.

Btw, the thicker open end wrench ends was not for more support. They just use fewer blank sizes. If you look at the entire lineup of a set of wrenches you see that about every third one looks normal and then the next two are thicker, then normal thickness again. I’m sorry but that is fugly and as mentioned, reduces your work space in tight quarters. Craftsman is not the only China brand that does this.

All of my electrician tools are now Klein. My power tools are Milwaukee. Tape measures Stanley or DeWalt. Went to replace the blade in a Stanley 25’ tape and found the plastic case version is cheaper than the blade itself, by a lot. I still replaced the blade in my metal cased measure but bought a second tape in the plastic case model.

If anyone finds a reliable source of USA made sockets and combo wrenches other than the shop truck brands I would like to know so I can try them out.

Boolit_Head
05-02-2019, 11:10 AM
I still have some of my original craftsman tools from the 70's. But they get hard to find because my box grew from the hand carried pit box to two 26 inch wide craftsman units. One even has a side cab on it.

OS OK
05-02-2019, 11:15 AM
if they ain't made in usa they ain't back.

ditto

Conditor22
05-02-2019, 08:59 PM
Craftsman built their name when they were made in the USA, quality tools that lasted. A lifetime warranty is nice BUT having a tool break when you need it and don't have time to go replace it sucks. That's why most professionals pay more $ for tools that last.
Diehard batteries used to be made by interstate when they got their stellar reputation, now it's just farmed out to the cheapest bidder. The new owner (a few years now) of sears bought the chain as a tax write-off and didn't give a rip about the company.
I used to have a Sears card, the family and I used to go there regularly many years ago. For the last, almost 20 years the only time I'd go to sears was for a tool replacement.

David2011
05-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Regardless of the reason, those wrenches with oversized box ends are rejects. They’re too big to fit in tight spots and they’re just ugly. I needed a 3/8” drive torque wrench recently. Bought Kobalt and it seems like a good purchase.

lefty o
05-02-2019, 09:46 PM
i have tool boxes full of old craftsman tools, but i can buy the same chinese made stuff for less with the same warranty at the big box stores now, so no more craftsman.

DougGuy
05-02-2019, 09:55 PM
There is a silver lining... I can ebay used and sometimes near new Craftsman stuff for less than new China made stuff.

There is a growing collector market for USA Craftsman, and it's like everything else collectible, only mint specimens command collector prices, but the sellers of used Craftsman view this market as an excuse to over inflate prices of used non collectible items. Get them while you can if you can get fair and decent used prices.

There is always plenty of SK, Proto, Williams, Thorsen, Bonney, at cheaper than Craftsman prices and these have always been a cut above Craftsman in workmanship and finish. Many of the Snap-On and MAC pieces are quite affordable as well.

I have no need for Lowe's tools or Walmart either for that matter but I will admit to owning a couple of sets of new Stanley sockets which aren't too bad.

Omega
05-02-2019, 10:36 PM
I don't make my living using my tools, so when I purchased my first craftsman set, for 2-3x the price of an average home owners set, it was for the lifetime warranty, and bonus points for US made. But when tools started showing up in auto parts stores, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowe's etc., at 1/4 the price with lifetime warranty, the writing was on the wall for craftsman. Then they went and started having them made in China, but kept the price...wrong move. Now, unless they start having them made in the US, and or lower the price, I doubt they can compete.

Mal Paso
05-03-2019, 11:07 AM
There is always plenty of SK, Proto, Williams, Thorsen, Bonney, at cheaper than Craftsman prices and these have always been a cut above Craftsman in workmanship and finish. Many of the Snap-On and MAC pieces are quite affordable as well.

Excellent point! My early Craftsman wrenches were elegant but the later USA ones were CLUNKY.
Thanks for pointing out the high end manufacturers!

That said the Stanley made Craftsman wrenches I bought have very good fit and finish and the price was closer to harbor freight than the old Craftsman.

jmort
05-03-2019, 12:11 PM
I was told the Craftsman power tools were assembled in the USA
Actually seems like the new lines are good and getting better
I like it
From Leftapedia

"Sears has never manufactured Craftsman products itself, instead relying on other manufacturers to make the products for them following Sears designs and specifications, and then applying the Craftsman brand name. Sometimes, the Craftsman branded items include exclusive features or functions that separate them from the manufacturer's own brand or other brands that the manufacturer produces. At other times, Craftsman products are identical to models of other brands with a different name on them.

The hardline mechanic's tools (wrenches, ratchets, and sockets) that make up the core of the brand have been made by a variety of manufacturers over the years, including New Britain,[18] Moore Drop Forging,[3] Stanley,[19] Easco Hand Tools,[20] Danaher Corporation, and most recently Apex Tool Group. Screwdrivers have been manufactured by Pratt-Read and Western Forge, but are now supplied mostly exclusively by Western Forge, who also supply pliers and adjustable wrenches.[21]

Beginning in 2010, hand tools manufactured for Craftsman by Apex Tool Group (formerly known as Danaher) such as ratchets, sockets, and wrenches began to be sourced overseas (mainly in China, although some are produced in Taiwan), while tools produced for Craftsman by Western Forge such as adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and larger mechanic tool sets remain made in the United States, although as of 2018, most if not all of the production for these products have moved over to Asia. Sears still has an Industrial line which is sold through various authorized distributors. These tools are US made, appearing identical to their previous non-industrial US made counterparts, save for the "Industrial" name stamped on them. They are manufactured by Apex on the US production lines that previously produced the USA made standard Craftsman product before production switched overseas to Asia.

Many Craftsman portable power tools have been manufactured by Techtronic Industries. Previously, these products were produced by the Diehl Motor Company (a one time division of Singer) and Ryobi. Both Singer and Ryobi have been condensed under the Techtronic company umbrella. These tools had a "315" or "973" prefix. Most of the "315" product was made in the United States. Sears hand power tools have also been produced by DeWalt. These tools will typically have a "900" model prefix.[citation needed] Some, such as the corded and cordless drills, were indistinguishable, other than the color and decal labels. Many Craftsman bench and stationary power tools have been manufactured by Emerson Electric Company under the "113" model prefix (previously under the "103" model prefix which was King-Seeley, but Emerson bought them out in the 1960's) and DeWalt.[5] Air compressors were manufactured by DeVilbiss Air Power (part of Dewalt), and formerly by Campbell Hausfeld. (DeVilbiss sourced units have a "919" model prefix and Campbell Hausfield had a "106" model prefix). Tool storage has typically been manufactured by Waterloo Industries,("706" model prefix) while Craftsman-branded garage door openers are manufactured by The Chamberlain Group ("139" model prefix). Hammers have been produced by Vaughan-Bushnell for Sears. (Coded "M" on the tool). Many of the automotive specialty tools such as feeler gauges and gap gauges have been made by A&E Tool Company of Racine, WI (these tools will have an "S" logo in a circle). Ullman Devices of Ridgefield, CT makes many of the magnetic pick up tools, picks and inspection mirrors for Sears.

Some tools have codes on them that correspond to the manufacturer that produced the product for Sears (see Alloy Artifacts website reference below). For example, on hand tools, codes on them will indicate who made them for Sears. For example, Western Forge sourced tools will have a "WF" stamped on the tool. Tools produced by Moore Drop Forge will have a "V" on them, tools from Pratt-Reed will have "PR" on them, Easco will have an "E" or "EE", and later Danaher made tools (USA made) will have a "VV" or a "VɅ" (inverted second "V"). Pliers have been sourced by a few vendors including the aforementioned Western Forge "WF" tools and Wilde Industries which have a "P" on the tool. Some sockets (notably the 3/4 drive USA made units) were made by S-K (coded "X" on the tool). Many major Sears Craftsman items as noted above also have a vendor prefix, which is typically the first three digits before the period or dash in the model number. These first three digits correspond to the vendor code, or the actual manufacturer contracted to make the product for Sears"

Elkins45
05-03-2019, 03:13 PM
I was in the tool section of the Sears in Florence, KY a few years ago and was surprised to find a big pile of 3/8” ratchets behind the check out counter. The two guys who were working the counter had a box full of ratchet guts and were refurbishing them when they weren’t busy. Apparently they do a big business swapping out busted ratchets. So there’s a chance you might not get a Chinese model if you swap your old broken USA model.

I think almost all my Craftsman tools are American made. I’m hopeful I have all the tools I will ever need.

RU shooter
05-03-2019, 08:31 PM
Regardless the name all tools can and will fail even the good brands like Sk proto , Williams ect I have quite a few split SK sockets in my chest , For the most part we use the kobalt brand tools at work and they seem to hold up as well as any of the others . So watch your nuckles regardless the brand .

buckwheatpaul
05-03-2019, 08:42 PM
I see it as a marquis of a time gone bye. Sold to the highest bidder and built for the lowest cost. Could be wrong. Been wrong before.

I agree.....Craftsman used to mean quality with a great warranty on their tools.....last 3+ years their tools are China quality.....junk!

PBlover429
05-03-2019, 08:44 PM
There are Snap-On tools and then the rest. Kinda like Redding/Forster in reloading tools.

gnostic
05-03-2019, 09:28 PM
I bought a Craftsman snowblower, from Ace Hardware, at the beginning of last winter. I hope it's made in the USA. I was desperate, I had 3 feet of snow in my driveway and it was obvious, I couldn't dig my way out with a shovel...

Hannibal
05-03-2019, 10:06 PM
There are Snap-On tools and then the rest. Kinda like Redding/Forster in reloading tools.

Just because it's Snap-On doesn't mean there aren't quality grades. For instance, test the mechanism in one of the dull - gray finished ratchets and compare it to one of the chromed fine - tooth ratchets.
Yes, either one will remove and install fasteners and likely last decades. But there is a night and day difference between those mechanisms if you make your living with hand tools.

My point is, a name is just a name. Quality and precision can only be determined with personal use.

Alot like firearms and cast bullets, eh?

Yeah, I know. 'Them be boolits 'round here!'

RP
05-04-2019, 01:22 AM
I picked up some water hoses was told all I had to do was cut the ends off walk into the store and tell them how long it was they did not want the hose leaking water in the store, Seemed kind of odd you could buy a short hose cut the ends off and tell them it was a long hose but hey its their policy. I really like the hoses they stay flexible when its cold and roll up nice draw back is they are black and will leave your hands blackish when you roll them up. I carried one back last year tree rats chew holes in it picked up a new hose walked up to the counter and handed the guy the ends, I was told he would give me a new hose but next time I need the entire hose and my receipt. Well we all know over time the receipt go blank now they are closed and lowes is not carrying the waters hoses here that I have seen.
Another problem I have with craftman is their tape measures I would buy 5 or more at a time when you could not read them anymore I toss it in a box and grab a new one after I had a few returns off to sears I would go, They were yellow and they gave me red and said that no returns on the red ones so the life time was over and they also only replace them if the blade broke or the spring.
The ratches or how ever you spell that they wanted to rebuild them instead or replacing.
The tool keep getting cheaper made and the service keeps getting less and less I no stopped buying their tools and gone to lowes brand or even harbor freight for the stuff I only use a few times.
I like my snap on and other tool truck tools they work but cost is way higher and since I do not turn wrenches for a living anymore I just can not see paying that kind of price.

rl69
05-04-2019, 08:54 PM
I'm very hard on tools, I don't mind geting a cheater pipe,or hammer and making somthing move. I baught a Teton impact socket set and I'm very impressed. Give them a look

https://www.tekton.com/about-us

William Yanda
05-04-2019, 09:00 PM
So they warranty a made in USA tool with a made in China one. I can't feel good about that. Another weak spot is tools no longer produced, like a Craftsman Pat. Appld'd. For) 4 way lug wrench.

Thundarstick
05-05-2019, 07:12 AM
The way I see it, there's a huge difference in tool quality needed, depending on weather you make your living turning a wrench, or are a fixer (like me). Craftsman is just a name, like Winchester, Marlin, or Browning. Does a Moroku rifle shoot as well as real Browning? Probably. There are tons of great hand tools out there, and some of them are made in Asian countries, and made very well. From my farming and hot rodding days, that advice to watch ones knuckles no matter who made the wrench is very good advice, but most of the tools sold, are sold to average Joes. I've got the 1/4 and 3/8 drive socket wratchet SK sets that are pushing 40 years old now, but I have many others that do the job just as well. No matter what any of us think, we live in a world market.

lightman
05-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Its good to see someone picking up the name. Its been around for a long time.

I spent nearly 4 years of my life building steel transmission line towers. I would literally tighten more 5/8 or 3/4 inch bolts in a day than most mechanics would in a career. Proto and S-K held up better than any of the others. Blackhawk and Williams held their own. While I saw a lot of brands being used I'll admit that I didn't see every brand. Being something of a tool guy this was something that I paid attention to. I have stripped many a 1/2" ratchet made by Craftsman, Snap on and other makers. And broken many a deep 1/2" drive socket. The bottom line is that any tool that is used hard can and will fail. And we worked in adverse conditions. Rain, mud, ice and snow.

And I'll confess, if I saw a Proto, Sears, Blackhawk or Snap On ratchet or socket fail and get thrown out I was not above fishing it out of the trash and getting it replaced on my weekend off!!! Just saying............

Boolit_Head
05-06-2019, 09:47 PM
They warranty and price point is what made them good. Didn't matter if they failed, Sears was nearby and it was a quick walk in and walk out to replace it with no monkey business about receipts or where you bought it. My FIL had a 20+ year old framing hammer that was so used the face was round. I could not drive a nail with that dang thing without it deflecting off to one side or the other. l walked in and handed it to the sales rep and he said "Wow, I'm going to put that on on the wall". He then handed me a brand new hammer and wished me another happy 20 years.

David2011
05-12-2019, 01:44 PM
The ratches or how ever you spell that they wanted to rebuild them instead or replacing.
The tool keep getting cheaper made and the service keeps getting less and less I no stopped buying their tools and gone to lowes brand or even harbor freight for the stuff I only use a few times.
I like my snap on and other tool truck tools they work but cost is way higher and since I do not turn wrenches for a living anymore I just can not see paying that kind of price.

The Snap-On distributor has rebuilt one of my ratchets and swapped out some screwdriver handles on his truck while I waited. At $95.00 for a standard 1/4" drive ratchet I can see why they want to rebuild. To purchase a rebuild kit for that ratchet you would spend about $40. I'm not a fanboy of Snap-On; just bought a few of their tools when nothing else would do or they were the only maker available to me. I needed a set of 1/4" universal joint sockets for working on airplanes. They were knee-buckling expensive but not something you can buy at the local hardware store.

I only made my living with hand tools for a few years and like you I tend to buy Harbor Freight for many tools I don't expect to use much AND where I don't think they will cause damage. I'll stick with APEX and Craftsman for screwdrivers. The vast majority of my wrenches, ratchets and sockets are older Craftsman.

I can't recall splitting any brand of socket but I did break a Craftsman 1/2" universal joint in the '70s, without an impact wrench or cheater bar.

abunaitoo
05-12-2019, 04:44 PM
Sears here closed down last week.
Went there to see what they had.
Very sad.

MT Gianni
05-12-2019, 08:27 PM
It will be interesting to see what Tariff's do to the tool market.

izzyjoe
05-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Ok, I talked to a fellow at Lowes, and he said they would only warranty tools that were sold at lowes, not the made in the usa craftsman tools. So now that Sears stores are closing all over, they older tools to be warranted are useless. Unless they have a place can send them to, and good luck with that! To me Sears screwed up when they sold off they craftsman line several years back, that to me was the turning point it the buisness, and when it really started down the tubes! These so called craftsman tools now a days are an abomination of the tools of days gone bye! Sears will eventually go under, and lowes will ride on coat tail with these crappy tools there pushing, and they are not bad for the average joe, but place like HF, and online tool supplier will out sell them, and lowes will drop the line all together, I may be wrong, but it will take a few years to find out. All lowes has to do is find some way to dishonor the warranty, and they will lose a lot of customer base. Shoot I already know several guy that have quit lowes because of there policy's! I also have a lot of craftsman tool from the mid 80's and older, that I have used to make a living with for the last 25 yrs, and years I've broke them, but 90% of the time I was not using the tool properly, or something of that nature. But honestly I don't see the older tools ever commanding a premium, cause if these no warranty, what good is it. To qoute my old boss, I don't collect tools to admire, I use the to make a living. I don't care who name is on the tool, as long as it gets job done, and I get paid! He was a great man, and could do just about anything with just a hand full of tools, y'all may know some folks like that, and may be some. But he taught me to use what you got, and make the rest up along the way! Anyway I am sad to Sears go away, but that the way the world goes around!

Boolit_Head
05-12-2019, 09:40 PM
It's not just Sears. Palais Royal shut down one of the few stores left around here. The big malls have been dying for many years.

MT Gianni
05-14-2019, 08:37 PM
Ok, I talked to a fellow at Lowes, and he said they would only warranty tools that were sold at lowes, not the made in the usa craftsman tools. So now that Sears stores are closing all over, they older tools to be warranted are useless. Unless they have a place can send them to, and good luck with that! To me Sears screwed up when they sold off they craftsman line several years back, that to me was the turning point it the buisness, and when it really started down the tubes!

Sears sold the brand as it had the most value of anything but their stores.

Butler Ford
05-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Ace hardware stores also carry Craftsman, at least in central Texas. And I discovered last month that they will still honor the lifetime guarantee for tools. Not fun to wave bye-bye to Sears, but some luster remains on the Craftsman brand.

My local ACE will replace ONLY if you bought it at that store. I guess I have a few ratchets to toss.

PbHurler
05-16-2019, 07:30 AM
Looks like they are on their way to being Made in USA;

Stanley Black & Decker Inc. SWK -0.30% plans to move production of Craftsman wrenches from China back to the U.S., the latest manufacturer looking to use automation to increase domestic output as tariffs raise the cost of imports from overseas.

Stanley is investing $90 million to open a plant in Fort Worth, Texas, by late next year that will employ about 500 people to make 10 million Craftsman wrenches and ratchets and 50 million sockets annually. Robots and fast-forging presses will help boost output about 25% above the older forging machinery now used to make Craftsman wrenches in China, helping keep production costs at the new plant in line with those in China, Stanley said.

Link
https://www.wsj.com/articles/stanley-to-make-more-craftsman-tools-in-u-s-11557919800

jmort
05-16-2019, 08:59 AM
Thank God

Mal Paso
05-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Looks like they are on their way to being Made in USA;

Stanley Black & Decker Inc. SWK -0.30% plans to move production of Craftsman wrenches from China back to the U.S., the latest manufacturer looking to use automation to increase domestic output as tariffs raise the cost of imports from overseas.

Stanley is investing $90 million to open a plant in Fort Worth, Texas, by late next year that will employ about 500 people to make 10 million Craftsman wrenches and ratchets and 50 million sockets annually. Robots and fast-forging presses will help boost output about 25% above the older forging machinery now used to make Craftsman wrenches in China, helping keep production costs at the new plant in line with those in China, Stanley said.

Link
https://www.wsj.com/articles/stanley-to-make-more-craftsman-tools-in-u-s-11557919800

Yep! The set I bought was made in the USA. Very nice!

Solar Panel production has moved to the US too. Shipping costs were likely more responsible than tariffs as these plants are in production Now. There's a new plant in Stockton Ca. cranking out panels at the same price as imports.

jonp
05-16-2019, 12:21 PM
I just broke a Made In America 3/8-1/4 socket reducer. Took it to Lowe's and they told me to go get one but they had none in stock. Stopped at the small Sears and they don't carry individual sockets. He told me to go online to Craftsman com, get the warranty phone number and call. They would send me one in the mail

john.k
05-16-2019, 11:11 PM
Im sure the reason for thick sockets is impact tools........I have some 1960s good quality thin wall sockets ,but they cant stand air impact wrenches,they just bell out in no time......In fact if you look at thinwall wrench prices now,they are near astronomical,mainly German stuff.........and a lot of thinwall stuff is limited warranty.

Walks
05-16-2019, 11:20 PM
Got a letter from Sears last month.
As of June 1, 2019, ALL Appliance Maintenance Agreements Will NO Longer be Honored.

Sears ain't coming back, they're preparing to shut down.

shooterg
05-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Glad to see production coming back even though I already have several lifetimes worth of Made in USA tools !

jonp
05-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Just called the number on the Craftsman.com sight. Gave her the part number and its in the UPS pipeline. Be here this week. Not bad.

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2019, 06:39 AM
yup I hope they came a LONG ways from the import craftsman junk that sears sold. Kobalt were much better quality. I wonder if lowes will still honor the kobalt life time warrantee. I for one am disappointed that kobalt is disappearing. Might not be snap on quality but they were tough to beat for the $
I was in the tool section of the Sears in Florence, KY a few years ago and was surprised to find a big pile of 3/8” ratchets behind the check out counter. The two guys who were working the counter had a box full of ratchet guts and were refurbishing them when they weren’t busy. Apparently they do a big business swapping out busted ratchets. So there’s a chance you might not get a Chinese model if you swap your old broken USA model.

I think almost all my Craftsman tools are American made. I’m hopeful I have all the tools I will ever need.

slumlord44
05-20-2019, 11:07 PM
I bought most of my Craftsman tools back when they were made in the US. If I need good replacements I get them at Flea Markets and Swap Meets. I get most of my new stuff from Harbor Freight. Most is serviceable for my old cars and rental property repairs. Some is not but when I consider replacement cost it it no big deal. Amazon is also my friend for hard to find tools and supplies.