PDA

View Full Version : 444 Marlin reduced/plinker loads (I did a silly thing)

Peregrine
04-30-2019, 02:54 PM
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

I acquired this absolutely ridiculous monstrosity recently. For those not in the know it's a SSP-91, marketed by Magnum Research as the Lone Eagle, this example being chambered in 444 Marlin. It's a rotating breech (https://imgur.com/o0zeptc) design, besides being quite strong the neat part is it manages to get 14" of barrel into an OAL of 15" and change. Weighs 4lbs, balances better than you'd think.

https://imgur.com/FcPTG3u.jpg

I've been loading cast boolits for various rifle calibers for a bit now, but between lurking here and reading Elmer Kieth I decided I really wanted to cast some 44's. I was looking for a three screw blackhawk but then this thing popped up on Gunbroker with it's original box (https://imgur.com/JsyREuS) and in the configuration I wanted so I couldn't resist. I have a real soft spot for novel designs, but I don't think Elmer would have approved. Then again maybe he would.

I've got the SAECO 431 (250gr. GCFP) on the way and I nabbed 200 starline brass, i'm looking for experiences with loads ranging from moderate all the way down to cat sneeze levels. I've got a ton of published data for the upper end for when I get into really stretching this thing's legs, but nothing listed on the non earth shattering end of the spectrum where I think i'll want to spend the most time. :)

I have many pounds of 2400, however i'm hesitant to use it. This is my first venture into large straightwall cases, however i've already noticed significant position sensitivity in cases as small as 308 at moderate charge levels. At the same time, i'm really uneasy using dracon to position the powder in this case. There's so much volume in the 444 case it seems either i'd have to use an almost comically large amount of dracon or leave an airgap. I've heard really bad thing about leaving gaps, and while i've seen some say you can get away with it with dracon it's not the way I want to assemble rounds.

As a humorous aside here's something I ran into on my search. H4895 is the most used powder in my stash, and Hodgdon's states that for any H4895 load published you can multiply the max load in grains by .6 and use that as your starting point for reduced loads. I've been doing this with great success with ~200gr cast in rifles, so I looked up what Hodgdon's had for data.

https://imgur.com/t2CHIlJ.jpg

At first glance I thought it would be worth a try since using a linear approximation would give me 1215 fps from 30.6 grains. Then I wised up and looked at the pressure, there's no way that would work.

Of course linear approximations are junk for this purpose, especially when i've got a range of two grains (and compression) to work with. Extrapolating the pressure to that 30.6 grain charge level the linear gives a pressure of -6100 CUP. :D

Like I said, i'm new to straightwalls and bigbore but at least i'm learning.

Although i'm curious how well *slightly* reducing their start level would work for me, maybe blowing all that slow powder out of my short barrel would provide all the reduction I need.
But no, I want to expand my powder library. I've been meaning to try unique/bullseye/red dot for cast application for a while now, seems trail boss would be well suited for these big cases but I know many here don't like it.

Thanks for reading, i'll keep this thread updated with my result and the state of my wrists. :)

bikerbeans
04-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Google GMDR Lever gun load data. GMDR has published a boatload of reduced cast boolit loads including the 444 marlin. Lyman cast boolit handbook has somewhat reduced loads for the 444 but IIRC the fastest powder is SR4759.

Good luck with your new hand gun.

BB

RED BEAR
04-30-2019, 07:35 PM
Good luck with the gun. I would definitely look at gdmr for light loads . I can tell you that my lever gun can stomp with full power 310 gr loads.

GhostHawk
04-30-2019, 09:26 PM
6.5 grains of Red Dot under 200 gr cast in .444marlin brass fired in my Handi rifle print just fine, nice mild recoil and report. Esentially a mid range .44mag load but in .444m brass.

You can go up to 13 grains easy enough and go up as big as you like lead wise.
One of my most accurate loads was 13 grains of Red Dot and the Lee 310 gr clone with gas check. But about 10 of those and I'd had enough for the day

BigMagShooter
04-30-2019, 09:56 PM
It'd be tempting to load it up like a light 44 mag load and seat the bullet way way down in the case, so it'd have the 'powder space' like a 44 mag would. :)

fenderman57
04-30-2019, 10:02 PM
13 grs of 231 under 429421 gave me 1400 fps from an 18 inch timber carbine. Recoil about the same as a 30-30. Milk jug accurate at 100 yd as long as I could stand there and do my part.

44Blam
04-30-2019, 11:21 PM
Good lord! I would have to make some max loads and take my buddies out to the range. (BOOMBANG) (OW)

Texas by God
05-01-2019, 12:04 AM
I always wanted one of those cannon breech pistols in .308 for some reason. I held one at a gun show and it did balance well. Maybe someday.

44Blam
05-01-2019, 12:13 AM
My wife always gives me leeway to buy stuff... That seems like a cool thing, but I think my next purchase is either a 458 socom or 300 BO upper...
OR if I can find a Mateeba 44 mag Unica... With the 8.5" barrel...

slam45
05-02-2019, 08:41 AM
i had a marlin 444 for several years and shot 240 cast over 22g of 2400 as my do most type of load... easy shooting and plenty of swat for varmints, rocks, and blacktails.... never had any problems with 2400 in the 444 or 45-70, it just works...

swheeler
05-02-2019, 11:24 AM
I had a 14" Contender 44 mag re-chambered by JD Jones in 1980(maybe 81??) to 444, I shot H4198 and H335, the 335 burned filthy but accuracy wasn't bad, just not as good as the 4198. I was shooting a 260 gr cast bullet, cast by a friend but think was RCBS SWC mold, pretty hard, and shot good. I shot a small Texas buck with it, hand grenade both front shoulders, messy at 50 yds.

gwpercle
05-02-2019, 03:35 PM
444 Marlin....kind of a Super Double Extra Long 44 magnum.... and in a Hand Gun ...Elmer Keith would have loved it !
Have fun ...it's an awesome piece .
Gary

lar45
05-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Looks like a great find. I've always wanted one, but just never found one at a gun show when I had the money to spare.
I don't have a 444, and have never loaded for one, but..... I looked at Quickload and it says that 12gns of Unique with a 250gn cast boolit should give somewhere around 1250fps from your 14"barrel at a pressure of 16,000psi-ish.
have fun and keep us posted :)

Peregrine
05-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Well my mold got here but the dealer I went through forgot to order the handles as well, so it'll be a bit longer until I can actually cast/load. I'm leaning towards red dot for my powder of choice, i've been meaning to try it for a while.
Data for it indeed was in the Lyman manual, i'm just blind apparently and skipped right over the .444 section when I was looking for it. :-P
I'll try some trail boss too.

I always wanted one of those cannon breech pistols in .308 for some reason. I held one at a gun show and it did balance well. Maybe someday.

They eat firing pins from what i've read, dry firing them is a real no no as that will almost certainly break them in short order. I found someone making replacements and if and when it goes i'll order up a few extra to keep me going.

lar45
05-11-2019, 09:38 PM
They eat firing pins from what i've read, dry firing them is a real no no as that will almost certainly break them in short order. I found someone making replacements and if and when it goes i'll order up a few extra to keep me going.

If They have a habit of breaking, and you've found someone making replacements... It might be wise to get a couple now while you can.

Jackpine
05-13-2019, 09:46 AM
I think you should shoot three rounds of the factory ammo you pictured, and then you will want to sell it to me REAL cheap!!!!

However, if you are not willing to go that route, I would try Trail Boss and cast bullets. It will give you probably the lightest load you will find. I have loaded Trail Boss in 30-30, 38-55 and 45-70 and some cast bullets. Have never gotten the best accuracy from this combo, but works great for letting a new shooter fire these rifles, with minimal recoil. Great plinker loads. If no published data for a caliber, Hodgdon recommends starting at 70% of max case capacity with the bullet you are loading as a starting load, and working up.

Another recommended option would be H4895, which Hodgdon recommends for reduced loads, starting at 60% of max load listed. Even at that level it will probably be considerably faster and more recoil than the Trail Boss, or even a reduced loading with Unique, but may be more accurate.

Have fun,

Jackpine