PDA

View Full Version : Bluetick hound

historicfirearms
04-22-2019, 06:29 PM
The wife found this poor soul at the local animal shelter. He's a roughly three year old bluetick. I've been thinking about a bloodhound after our twelve year old lab passes. But this guy really tugged on our heartstrings. His previous owner got sent to prison for God only knows. The story we got was he asked his mother to take care of his dogs while he was incarcerated. Well, she didn't. And she left the two dogs outside in our northern Michigan winter tied to their doghouse. When the neighbors called animal control, they found them nearly skin and bones without food or water. The snow was so deep they couldn't even get into their doghouse anymore. Our poor boy lost part of his ear to frostbite. His older brother faired much worse and is still fighting for his life.

SOB, I wish I knew who that woman is. I'd like to tie her up outside to die.

So we brought home Tucker today. He's having some adjustments to living inside. I never thought I'd see a dog eat faster than my old chocolate lab, but Tucker can really put it away. He's got a few pounds to put on though so I can't blame him.

I'd like to train him to do search and rescue. Never done anything like this before so I hope Tucker and I both have it in us.

Edward
04-22-2019, 06:35 PM
If not still a squirrel /coon dog (possible) had 7 at one time or another till I went to leopard curs /Ed

Texas by God
04-22-2019, 06:47 PM
, I'm glad that Tucker is home at last. The way that woman treated that dog explains why her son is in prison in my mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LUCKYDAWG13
04-22-2019, 07:14 PM
Congrats thats a fine looking dog you have

Rapidrob
04-22-2019, 07:32 PM
Got to love the hounds,all hounds. Thank you for saving the dog.I'm sure he knows and once you have bonded with him he will be a great dog.

trapper9260
04-22-2019, 07:56 PM
You did good with the dog .I nice hound also. For what you like to train him to do will look like be good for it.They have a good nose.

375supermag
04-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Hi...
Thanks for rescuing that pup.
I hate to see a dog mistreated...one of few things that really sets me off.
Give him a good home...he's earned a loving family atmosphere.

JBinMN
04-22-2019, 08:35 PM
Yes,Thanks for rescuing!
:)

IMO, Some folks ought not to have dogs... Or, children. Your story about what happened to the dogs & the owners just re affirms that opinion.

G'Luck! & I hope all turns out well for everyone at your home!
:)

NyFirefighter357
04-22-2019, 08:37 PM
He ain't nothing but a hound dog! Congrats!

cmh
04-22-2019, 09:46 PM
Good lookin blue tick..... and you can see he is downright happy now thru his eyes. Good thing you and your wife did [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
04-22-2019, 09:54 PM
Sounds like the woman did almost as good of a job with the dog as she did with her son.

You think it'd be hard for rescue dogs to adjust after being so mistreated.
Judging from all our rescued dogs, I think they know ya saved their life,
and bond to you stronger than a regular puppy that never knew 'hard times' for lack of a better word.

Like these guys-- one is 3 the other is 5.
They're 1/2 French bulldog and half shih Tzu, they call 'em bullschitz dogs.

MDC
04-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Good on you for saving him sir. He'll pay you back in spades.

clum553946
04-22-2019, 11:18 PM
I had one when I was in high school & college in the early 70’s. He was a superb coon hound, but he also hunted bobcat as well. There was nothing like listening to him bay on a track. We’d shake the game out of the tree, give it a two minute head start & do it again! Brings back fond memories & some crazy stories! His name was Spook & forever has a place in my heart! Kudos to you for saving him! Their loyalty knows no bounds once they trust you.

Goatwhiskers
04-22-2019, 11:58 PM
Thank you sir for what you have done, you will never regret it. And what JB said goes for me too. GW

Thundarstick
04-23-2019, 06:23 AM
Sounds like the woman did almost as good of a job with the dog as she did with her son.

I do get tired of hearing this! What makes you think these dogs where her responsibility, or that she didn't raise her son the best she could? Kudos on taking in an abandoned, but the owner is the only responsible party in this!

Texas by God
04-23-2019, 07:39 AM
I do get tired of hearing this! What makes you think these dogs where her responsibility, or that she didn't raise her son the best she could? Kudos on taking in an abandoned, but the owner is the only responsible party in this!
If she penned them up on her property, it’s her fault. If she was unable / unwilling to care for them, she should have given them away or taken them to the pound.

MrWolf
04-23-2019, 08:13 AM
Congrats. Looks like you will have a great companion for life. Nothing like the unconditional love.

Not to drift the thread but I agree that if you agree to take an animal YOU are responsible for their care. Tying them up outside and unable to fend for themselves is not humane.

RED BEAR
04-23-2019, 08:49 AM
God bless you. My dogs are my best friends . I just can't understand how someone could treat a defenseless animal like that. It truly says a lot about the kinda person someone is. And i agree that she probably did the best she could raising her son. AND THATS SAD. Some people should not have kids. And she is responsible for the care of the dogs .she became responsible the minute she took them in if this is what was planned she should never have took them. In my opinion anyone who would treat an animal this way is the lowest of the low. Her son in prison as bad as that i s i would hope he at least took care of the dogs but have no way of knowing just hoping.

Thundarstick
04-23-2019, 09:21 AM
I guess I missed the part in the OP where his mother AGREED to take care of HIS dogs, and took them to her property! Everyone just ASSUMED his mother is even capable of taking in dogs, not on a fixed income, could drive in a Michigan winter, or even live near him! So please get off mom's back! Been there! :-x

Lloyd Smale
04-23-2019, 09:29 AM
I was a lineman up here in the north and came across many dogs tied to a stake in the yard in freezing weather. Some without even a dog house. We kept the animal control number on our speed dial. To bad they couldn't make those ((()))) owners get the same treatment they gave there dogs for 24 hours. Im happy to hear you saved that dog from a **** life and will pray for his brother. Just don't understand how someone could look in those big brown eyes and then treat him like that!
The wife found this poor soul at the local animal shelter. He's a roughly three year old bluetick. I've been thinking about a bloodhound after our twelve year old lab passes. But this guy really tugged on our heartstrings. His previous owner got sent to prison for God only knows. The story we got was he asked his mother to take care of his dogs while he was incarcerated. Well, she didn't. And she left the two dogs outside in our northern Michigan winter tied to their doghouse. When the neighbors called animal control, they found them nearly skin and bones without food or water. The snow was so deep they couldn't even get into their doghouse anymore. Our poor boy lost part of his ear to frostbite. His older brother faired much worse and is still fighting for his life.

SOB, I wish I knew who that woman is. I'd like to tie her up outside to die.

So we brought home Tucker today. He's having some adjustments to living inside. I never thought I'd see a dog eat faster than my old chocolate lab, but Tucker can really put it away. He's got a few pounds to put on though so I can't blame him.

I'd like to train him to do search and rescue. Never done anything like this before so I hope Tucker and I both have it in us.

JBinMN
04-23-2019, 11:10 AM
It might be good for some folks to consider that someone calling a phone number & telling the local LEO, the local FD, , or any local veterinarian, just to name 3 places, and you could likely add in local dog kennel, farmer, church, etc.... someone could have removed all responsibility for taking care of an animal(s) if they were unable to do so, instead of chaining or fencing it/them, leaving it/them out in the elements & feeding it/them little to none, or basically just neglecting it/them. The same goes for any number of animals, or size of animal(s).

A phone call.

Remember... This is not the olden days...that would be all it took...

A phone call.

Even if the person did not have a phone, they likely went to the store, or to a friends or family & "someone" had a phone.

I do not like it when folks abuse animals, even cats & I hate cats.

So, when others get on folks for condemning those who abuse animals ( or little kids/vulnerable adults, the elderly, whatever) they ought to consider that there is a simple way to contact others when assistance is needed.

A doggone phone call.

Apparently in this case, someone did not even take the time to make a simple phone call... Pretty sad...

Something to think about.

ETA - P.S. - the same "could" be said about a baby, or a little toddler. Here in MN, there is a "no questions asked" policy if you drop a child off at a hospital. & sadly, it happens...

Someone would have come & got those dogs if a reasonable attempt was made to get help.

historicfirearms
04-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the kind discussion everyone. Last night was a long sleepless night. I believe it was the first night Tucker ever spent inside a house. He'd lie down for ten minutes then up pacing around the house. He also got pretty agressive with our other dog a few times. I think it was mostly food related so I am going to feed them in separate rooms for a while.
We just got back from a three mile walk. He's going to be a great exercise machine! I jogged for a while and Tucker looked like he was just walking along. This dog could really cover some ground.

Dan Cash
04-23-2019, 01:30 PM
That hound, in good shape, can maintain 10 mph for 10 miles +. Take a break and do it again. They are terrific athletes, hard headed, independent and about as smart a dog as I have ever met. I have two now and had a third a few years ago. Sad thing is that they grow old quite quickly; 10 is old.

webfoot10
04-23-2019, 08:45 PM
I'd go back an get his brother if he survives, The two of them would make a heck of a
team for ya. Good companions and great hunters. I hope you get his brother. I like
happy endings.
webfoot10

Winger Ed.
04-23-2019, 09:15 PM
We rescued a starved great pironese years back.

She was food aggressive for a few weeks until she figured out she'd never be hungry again.

After that, at dinner time she'd just wait till the two 15 pounders were done, then eat, or just come back later.

Firebricker
04-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Historicfirearms, He will settle down in the house but might take a good couple weeks. I took an elderly Husky that had spent years on a chain. She would do the same thing 10min laying down then just do circles in house. A friend said that high energy dogs have to exercise and from being on chain they tend to run or walk circles. Once he realizes he actually lives there he will settle down. Very glad you have given him a good home !
FB

MostlyLeverGuns
04-23-2019, 09:40 PM
If you haven't had a hound before, they are quite different than labs. They have got to follow their nose. I've had beagles, shorthairs (really a hound), my sister has red bones and beagles. All are great fun, my last three have been Chesapeake's not hounds, but I still smile about the stubborn little beagles running rabbits. Enjoy.

historicfirearms
04-24-2019, 09:34 AM
He settled down nicely last night, only up a few times. He's going to take some work with feeding but I can tell he's a smart dog and should figure it out in time.

We had hunting beagles when I was a kid. They weren't house pets but I did enjoy them. My grandpa was a big time rabbit hunter and I have many fond memories following those beagles around.

WILCO
04-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Just like refugees, there's big money in rescue animals.

bedbugbilly
04-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Tucker looks like a real sweetie! He'll make a good companion and friend . . . a good loving home where he'll be well taken care of with lot's of love . . . . sounds like a good deal for all of you . . Tucker, your wife and you! So many animals need a good home . . . . . thanks for providing Tucker with one! All of you enjoy your new loving friendship!

RED BEAR
04-25-2019, 01:53 PM
Any work will be well worth the effort. I truely prefer my dogs to most people and some family. As i said they are my best friends.

BD
04-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Blue Ticks are great hounds. I've had a few of them. But, they need their space, and they will go hunting given even the slightest opportunity, irregardless of whether you are coming or not. So be ready to provide plenty of exercise, and to go find him under a tree. If you're going to keep that dog in the house he may need a cubby under the stairs with a dog bed, or his own couch.