PDA

View Full Version : Spray case lubes

Wheelguns 1961
04-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Anyone ever try the non aerosol pump type case lubes? I have always used hornady one shot. I don’t really know why. It was always easily obtainable and it worked. Well I keep a wishlist on midway and was thinking of placing an order. I noticed the one shot was out of stock. I started looking for alternatives, and stumbled onto some lyman slick something, and it kind of looked cheaper and just as convenient. Several other companies sell them. Has anyone tried any of this stuff? The hornady can doesn’t seem to last very long. A large pump type might last longer. What do you think?

Winger Ed.
04-22-2019, 06:55 PM
They all work.
I had a few bottles of the real heavy thick stuff that you'd put on your hands and roll a few brass
in between them like you were warming your hands.

It did well on the outside, but no much for the inside of the neck, and my expander balls would wear out way too soon.

Lately I've been using a real thin penetrating oil in a big spray can.
Lay out a bunch of cases facing me, spray it across them hitting the inside of the necks too.
That over lubes the outside, but if ya blot them with a paper towel before picking up 4-5
and rolling them in your hands, it does OK. Every once in awhile, you need to dry your hands,
but it works, and you can get a pretty fast rhythm going.

centershot
04-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Hornady One-Shot for me, best thing since creation of the cheeseburger!

Kraschenbirn
04-22-2019, 08:09 PM
If you run a search for 'homemade case lube', you'll find links to several threads on the subject. I, myself, have been using an 10-1 mix of 91% alcohol/lanolin, applied from a spray bottle, for several years.

Bill

tazman
04-22-2019, 08:10 PM
I use the Hornady One Shot as well and have had zero problems with it.
I have been given a pump bottle of Dillon case lube by a man who was getting out of reloading. I haven't tried it yet but the reviews are good.

goryshaw
04-22-2019, 08:29 PM
Gave up on Hornady One Stuck about 25 years ago, after it went 3 for 3 getting .223 and .308 cases stuck. Went back to my old Lyman Lube pad for a long time. Started using homemade Lanolin and Heet a few years ago, loaded thousands of .30-06, 308 and 223 with a total of two stuck cases since switching, and those were my fault of not letting the alcohol fully evaporate before sizing.

USSR
04-22-2019, 08:45 PM
You can make your own spray case sizing lube by mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Most places don't carry 99% isopropyl alcohol, so the best way to get it is by buying a 12 oz. bottle (red bottle) of Iso-HEET gas line antifreeze which is 99% isopropyl alcohol. You need to use pure liquid lanolin, and while some health food stores may carry it, I have never found it locally and have always ordered 4 oz. bottles on Amazon. What I do is mark the 4 oz. bottle of liquid lanolin to indicate where each 1 oz resides in the bottle. You will be using 1 oz. of liquid lanolin with the full 12 oz. bottle of Iso-HEET. So now you put a pot full of water on the stove and heat the water up to nearly boiling and, this is important, SHUT THE STOVE OFF SO THERE IS NO FLAME! Now, place both the lanolin bottle and the Iso-HEET bottle in the hot water to heat them up. After both have become hot from the hot water they were placed in, remove them and pour 1 oz. of the liquid lanolin in your spray bootle, and the full 12 oz. bottle of Iso-HEET in there as well. Now shake it up so that they go into suspension. You now have the finest spray lube on the planet. Hope that helps.

Don

Cherokee
04-22-2019, 10:39 PM
I've been a Hornady One Shot user for many years. Loaded thousands of 223 and 308, without any problem. They do make a 10oz can available from Midway.

BigAlofPa.
04-22-2019, 10:43 PM
I been spraying cooking oil on my lube pad. Just a light spritz then i rub it in with a cloth .It works great. Olive oil to be exact. My family said i have the best tasting ammo in town lol.

Winger Ed.
04-22-2019, 11:00 PM
I been spraying cooking oil on my lube pad. Just a light spritz then i rub it in with a cloth .It works great. Olive oil to be exact. My family said i have the best tasting ammo in town lol.

Hmmm,,, never thought of that.
It is some amazing stuff.

If ya read the ingredients label on aerosol welding anti-splatter--- its the same as canola cooking spray.

FLINTNFIRE
04-22-2019, 11:57 PM
I used some midway pump spray on lube , It was ok but to clean it off when doing large batches was a pain , went back to rcbs lube on pad and it washes right off and dry the cases in large batches in oven , just what worked best for me , everyone has their own preference and system , just find what works the best for you and your method .

M-Tecs
04-23-2019, 12:59 AM
I am a huge fan of Hornady One Shot. I have done a around 200K with it and never hand an issue. When I first started using progressives with case feeders I was using Dillon pump spray lube. It worked very well as a case sizing lube but the two issues were case clean up and it gummed the case feeders up.

cwlongshot
04-23-2019, 05:22 AM
Swore off Hornady one **** years ago. Occasional & annoying stuck cases unless you saturate things.

Been making my own for that long, its cheap and easy. Dillon pump spray is same stuff but loads more costly. Im actually using one of there bottles for mine.

Once you do this you will never go back. Its far superior. ONLY thing better is Imperial sizing wax. I use that for all case forming duties.

CW

Hickory
04-23-2019, 05:32 AM

Don't forget the garlic.

psweigle
04-23-2019, 06:42 AM
I too use the liquid lanolin and iso heet. If it works on 30 carbine, it will work on anything!!!!!

RED BEAR
04-23-2019, 09:13 AM
I use the lee lube i check my brass while applying. never had a stuck case and it comes off easy. Its just what i started with and never saw a reason to change.

Mohavedog
04-23-2019, 10:47 AM
I also haven't found any commercial case lube that works better than lanolin/alcohol mixture. For me I have found the least messy and convenient method to apply it is by filling a 1 qt ziploc baggy about half full with the brass then spray the mixture into the baggy (it only takes a three or four spritzes). Then work the brass around in the bag for a minute, then allow the alcohol to evaporate. Works like a charm for me and it's economical. Don't forget to shake up the spray bottle before use as the lanolin will settle out of suspension fairly rapidly.

hollywood63
04-23-2019, 11:36 AM
If you run a search for 'homemade case lube', you'll find links to several threads on the subject. I, myself, have been using an 10-1 mix of 91% alcohol/lanolin, applied from a spray bottle, for several years.

Bill

This is my next ratio I did 2:1 and its a bit much but works 10 times better then one shot and alot cheaper

gwpercle
04-23-2019, 11:54 AM
I make up a spray with Lee Case Lube ( the white stuff in a tube) dissolved in denatured alcohol and put in a small spray bottle. Spritz the cases in a plastic container , roll around , they dry in a few seconds and they are ready to lube .
I use this for all handgun cases and have never had a problem. Much easier way to lube than using your fingers .
Gary

fralic76
04-23-2019, 03:38 PM

BillThis works very well for me, but use 99% alcohol. Have tried a lot of different case lubes and keep using this one. The only other one is 10 parts 99% alcohol and 1 part Lee case lube.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Drew P
04-23-2019, 04:30 PM
If ya read the ingredients label on aerosol welding anti-splatter--- its the same as canola cooking spray.
As a career long welder you just blew my mind!

Case lubes: lanolin for rifle, one-shot for pistol.

lightman
04-23-2019, 09:37 PM
I use and like the Dillon lube. I'm another that uses a ZipLoc bag to hold the cases. I've used most of the case lubes on the market and most of them work ok. I did stick a couple of cases using One Shot, and yes, I did read and follow the directions.

M-Tecs
04-23-2019, 09:58 PM
When using Hornady One Shot following the directions may be the problem. The directions state letting it dry for one minute. I tend to do large batches at a time. A ten minute dry time is good but I normally do 1/2 hour dry time. If you don't believe me spray one case and run it without any dry time.

Some good discussion on One Shot here including one of the two reasons I use it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-/42-305248/

"As far as I know One Shot is the only spray lube commercially available that will not degrade powder or primer. If I am to use a progressive press in a truly progressive manner and not remove the lube before adding primer and powder I don't want a lube on and in my cases that stands a chance of damaging the powder and primer."

Rich/WIS
04-23-2019, 10:24 PM
I long ago switched over to the alcohol/lanolin mix for a case lube. Use the red Heet and get the liquid lanolin from a company called "iherb" on the net. A 4 oz bottle was a bit over $7 and orders over $20 shipped free last time I bought some. I don't skimp and mix the 4oz bottle with the bottle of Heet for a 4/1 mix. At one time I did find One Shot in a spray bottle, was about twice the quantity in the spray cans and a bit cheaper.

Wheelguns 1961
04-24-2019, 02:36 AM
I just ordered some lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol from amazon. I decided it is worth a try. The one shot has worked good for me, but it seems expensive and I always run out at the most inconvenient times.

Shuz
04-24-2019, 10:40 AM

Bill

This is a great lube. I just put 50 or so cases in a large plastic bag,spray some in and let sit for a minute or so after shaking the bag. Best lube I've found and oh so cheap!

Larry Gibson
04-24-2019, 11:34 AM
I also use Dillon spray lube or make my own out of lanolin and alcohol. The Dillon goes a long ways and is not expensive. I use lanolin on a pad to lube the old way also.

Duckiller
04-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Have used One Shot for several years. didn't work recently. Not sure why but I used Imperial Sizing Wax with outstanding results. May not have gotten One Shot far enough down on the base of the cases.

Pete44mag
04-24-2019, 09:50 PM
I use the alcohol lanolin mix, have been using it for several years, never had a problem. I put my brass in a big plastic bag, spray in a couple sprays, mix bras repeat then spread out to dry. Have reloaded about 10k rounds and still have most of the bottle left. Great stuff real cheap!

David2011
04-24-2019, 10:29 PM
The Dillon spray lube is my favorite. I’ve also made it from lanolin and 99% alcohol. Never a stuck case as long as I gave it time for the alcohol to evaporate. I’ve been impatient with .223 a few times and got to use the stuck case remover every time. The rest of the batch was ready by the time I got the stuck case out of the die.

I’ve tried Hornady and RCBS and went back to Dillon.

mvozz
04-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Good conversation to have. I gave up on the RCBS lube pad when I tried One Shot but I find the Hornady Unique Wax was even easier. That is my go to lube when I am only sizing a few cases but for bulk the 99% alcohol/lanolin is the only lube I use. Just so you know I use the alcohol mix on my PC Boolits before sizing too. I am amazed at how easy they are to size after a few sprays in a plastic bag and an overnight dry!

dondiego
04-25-2019, 08:49 PM
Don't use Chapstick...........especially on a .380 case in RCBS dies.....trust me.

yeahbub
04-26-2019, 12:45 PM
My favorite is ordinary store brand pan spray coating. A light spritz over a tub of cases, mix them up well to distribute it evenly and they'll size easily. Some percentage (1/4 - 1/3) of the cases should be vertical to get a little inside the case mouth for lubing expander buttons/M-dies. The only down side is using lye-based oven cleaner/hot water wash to get them squeaky clean. A squirt of dawn helps with this too, but to remove all traces of the pan spray, I've always used the oven cleaner. Some use solvents of various kinds, and they work, but oven cleaner is cheap - just step away after you spray so you don't inhale any. Over time, vegetable oil will gum up and become tacky, affecting reliability in semi-autos. For a handful of experimental rounds to be consumed quickly, I don't bother cleaning, but for long term storage it becomes necessary.

JSnover
04-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Spray lubes worked fine for me but the 4 oz. tubs last a lot longer. I just give a quick scrape of the case mouth on my fingertip to get some lube inside the neck, haven't had a stuck case or worn expander yet.