PDA

View Full Version : Gas check bullet design - usable without a check?

njc110381
04-22-2019, 05:36 PM
Hey guys. Just a passing thought really as I don't know a great deal about this. Can I use a gas check bullet without fitting a check to it or will the base shape cause problems? It will be a rifle load, about 2300fps hopefully. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Maven
04-22-2019, 06:31 PM
You can use a gas checked design sans gas check, but at much lower velocity than 2,300fps. People generally report good accuracy when omitting the gas check at speeds less than 1,600fps, all else being equal. OTOH, there's no harm in trying is there?

pworley1
04-22-2019, 07:32 PM
yes you can.

centershot
04-22-2019, 07:54 PM
You can do that, however, your load will be very inaccurate and your bore will be heavily leaded! Best to seat a gascheck for loads exceeding 14-1500 fps.

Outpost75
04-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Biggest factor whether a GC design will be accurate w/o GC is diameter of base band above the GC heel. This must be THROAT size, not groove diameter, to prevent gas cutting. Best results leaving lube on heel of bullet, tucking a one grain, or 1"x1"x1/4" thick piece of Dacron quilt batting loosely into the neck, then pea-sized dab of white lithium grease and seat bullet. So loaded COWW alloy will work to 1700-1800 fps with medium burning rate rifle powders like 4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget, use 2/3 of the jacketed charge for same weight bullet in .303 Brit, 7.62x54R, Krag, etc.

PHyrbird
04-23-2019, 12:00 AM
I concur about speeds & charges, though some of the newer Moly based lubes may have better prevention of leading at higher pressures. I found Richard Lee's chapter in the latest load data book helpful on the relationship of pressure and strength of the alloy a help. Decades ago I did some load testing with a variety of teflon applications to help with higher velocity lead deposits. I don't anymore. The results were promising, but current events make it a bad idea. I'm very interested in the newer powder coating options, it seems a viable project. Unfortunately I sold the countertop toaster oven in a yard sale, who knew??? Something I also had good luck with was paper patching, get the thinnest sheets you can find, wet wrap & dry, use boolits cast or swaged .003-.006 under bore. If you have to they can be minimally sized after patching in a lubrisizer, just don't get too aggressive. I got 1.5 MOA at 100 with swaged in a 45-70. Plus every round ran a patch down the bore.

njc110381
04-23-2019, 02:29 AM
Thanks for your replies. There's a bit for me to think about. It sounds like I should get the gas checks really, I was just being lazy and attempting to save a little money! The mould I'm looking at isn't known for throwing oversize, so I don't think it leaves me much choice. Paper patching will be as much if not more effort than checking.

JBinMN
04-23-2019, 02:50 AM
Thanks for your replies. There's a bit for me to think about. It sounds like I should get the gas checks really, I was just being lazy and attempting to save a little money! The mould I'm looking at isn't known for throwing oversize, so I don't think it leaves me much choice. Paper patching will be as much if not more effort than checking.

You might be interested in knowing about this:
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=561&osCsid=o02q192jio1drjjv593rdg97o2

I think the owner or one of the folks that works there is a member here. I am not sure right now, but they may also be a sponsor on CB.GL Forum here, as well

To add to that, Pat Marlin is a vendor/member here & makes GC tools as well:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?289-Pat-Marlin-s-Corner

G'Luck! whatever ya decide!
:)

RED BEAR
04-23-2019, 09:21 AM
I have to agree buy the checks if you are going for 2300. Any other options will be more trouble than the price of gas checks.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Myself, I would put a GC on it.

Here is a FAQ sticky
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?256052-Shooting-Gascheck-Boolits-Without-a-Gascheck

Beagle333
04-23-2019, 10:18 AM
That fast? Nope.... go for the gas checks.

waksupi
04-23-2019, 11:22 AM

We're not here to help you save money, we're here to help you get good results! ;o)

gwpercle
04-23-2019, 11:37 AM
At 2,300 fps your life will be a lot easier with a gas check on the boolit.

Try it without one and see what happens... it might work. A lot depends on alloy hardness , heat treatment and fit of boolit to bore , roughness of barrel....Lubricant used etc. etc.
I find accurate load development just goes a lot easier with a gas check on the butt of the boolit.
Gary