PDA

View Full Version : lead price

10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
in my area scrap yards were paying $.40 a lb. foe scrap lead up to a mo. ago. now they only pay $.27 a lb. there selling price is $1.00 . i sold the steel clips off the ww i han melted down about 3 mo. ago for $.15 a lb. friday i took some to thep and the price was down too $ .02 a lb. got $30.00 thinking i was going to get $200.00 . big let down. the scrap steel pays for the gas to melt the ww. maybe ebay ers will come down off the $1.00 a lb soon.

KirkD
10-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Our local scrap yard dealer pays 30 cents/pound for wheel weights, so that is what I pay the local garages. Just picked up another 85 pounds of wheel weights today from a tire centre. The EPA is instituting tough new limits for lead smelters, so I imagine that the price of lead could climb a bit in the next 5 years or so. I've decided to get mine while I can.

CSH
10-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Commodity lead is currently $.65/lb. A year ago it was $1.75/lb. With the global recession, I think the price will drop even more in the next few months. It might even go down enough that I will consider buying a ton or 2 of real bullet alloy (no possibility of zinc) from a smelter. This situation might help the WW scroungers among us. At some point it becomes unprofitable for the scrap yard to pick up WWs from the tire dealers. That will allow us to get the nasty things out of their way.

:drinks:

mtgrs737
10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I have been paying 25 cents a pound for WW's here in Kansas for the last couple of years. Most buckets I get are long on weight so I should be getting close to actual lead cost of 25 cents per pound after the clips are removed. If it wasn't so heavy I would think a group buy on smelted boolit alloy would be something that would interest most casters here. Maybe when lead WW's are banned that might happen.

zampilot
10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
All metals around here have dropped somewhat, aluminum cans went from .80/lb to .35/lb.
I heard someone say the Chinese were done buying for a while.

Chunky Monkey
10-20-2008, 07:18 PM
My local scrap yard is buying WW at $.25/lb and selling at $.40/lb. I picked up 150 lb on Saturday morning.

GabbyM
10-20-2008, 09:56 PM
The Yard where I was geting wheel weights has stopped selling. The big corp out east put a stop to selling out the door. They had another barrel of WW just sitting their.

Pitmaster
10-21-2008, 08:17 AM
I was offered $.15 a lb to sell some lead to a bullet maker. I'll keep it for awhile. Lead is dropping in price.

Boz330
10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
A friend of mine is in the scrap business and he offered me scrap lead at .50 a lb last week, which is what they are getting from the Chi-Coms. He said to wait since the price was dropping like an anvil. They were trying to get rid of their supply before they lost their a$$ on it.

Bob

osage
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Last Friday I took 980lbs of worked steel the scrap yard and got $30.00. Lead, ww or other lead aloys was going out of the yard at 60c/lb. We could not get the the ww bin as it was at the bottom of a stack. So I passed on the leadfor now.

rbstern
10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Lead prices are plummeting. It's gone from 90 cents/lb to 60 cents/lb in the last 30 days on the London Metal Exchange.

If this holds, along with lower energy prices, shotgunners are gonna see a return to sub-$20 per bag of lead shot.

This is a great time to stock up. Buy scrap or from other industrial sources, make ingots, and keep it for a rainy day.

mike in co
10-22-2008, 06:30 PM
i agree...now is buying time if you can get the funds together.,,,,i sold scrap ( range indoor, mixed with copper and brass jackets) for ...$0.11 per pound last week!

shop and haggle.....stock up now...it does not go bad...lol....

mike in co

rbstern
10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
shop and haggle.....stock up now...it does not go bad...lol....

Shelf life of lead: About the same as the planet.

dwtim
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
The problem, though, is that we can't all buy from secondary sources if no one up the chain is buying. I know I can't walk into a hardware store and buy a skid of lead bricks.

The first drop happened when the index speculators backed off, this second one is probably caused by investors dumping whatever they can to get liquidity--but the next one is going to be a market perturbation caused by government restriction. So far they've gone after paint, plumbing supplies, electronics makers and now wheel weight vendors.

We're next.

Have a nice day!

OBXPilgrim
10-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Local salvage yard in my area is down to .10/lb if they are buying, .30/lb selling. Saw a box with probably 200 lbs of WW in it today & a block of lead that had to be over 300 lbs in the same box. I've actually got plenty for myself - I didn't even buy any. I haven't seen WW in there for 8-9 months.

That place used to be so busy you had to watch over your shoulder to keep from getting ran over, there were so many people in & out. I strolled through the place like I owned it today.

badgeredd
10-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I see on the web that in smaller quantities (less than a truckload) prices are down to $.27 a pound...good for us buyers IMO. I hope I can stock up a lot before the end of the year and prices stay down at least that long. I ended up with 382 pounds of finished ingots out of the last batch. I found a little zinc, but surprisingly a lot of FE weights, probably about 10 pounds worth. I was also amazed at the number of clips I ended up with!!!!!

I've been watching out for them guys from Vandalia and Paw Paw though [smilie=s::bigsmyl2:

Hopin' you all find a good source or two to stock up from.

Edd

Heavy lead
10-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Good deal badger. Rick up at Schanz said the price of primers hadn't gone up in quite a while, maybe they'll start going down a little too. He did say he had quite a bit on backorder yet though.
Good Shootin'

bigdog454
10-23-2008, 10:13 AM
here's lead market prices.
http://www.scrapindex.com/metal/usa/lead/index.html
BD