PDA

View Full Version : Just got back to my 38-40's again....

Harry O
10-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Planning to use two 38-40 Uberti SAA revolver clones and a 38-40 Uberti 1873 Winchester clone plus a Stevens 16ga double barrel for CAS shooting next spring.

With the SAA's I have replaced the bolt/trigger return spring (one broke after 400-500 rounds). While I was in there, I also replaced the mainspring with a Wolffe reduced power spring. The cylinder (base) pin was replaced with an oversized one from Belt Mountain. That was only a problem when I was experimenting with maximum loads, but it can't hurt with any loads. I don't need to, but I am planning to replace the front sight with a half-dime from the era (saw a picture of that in a magazine and really liked it). The only thing I changed on the rifle was the front sight. I replaced it with a german-silver one so I could see it better.

In experimenting with the revolvers, I ended up back with soft cast 401452 bullets with 5.0gr of Trail Boss as the most accurate load I could come up with. The only problem is that I only have a single cavity mould for that bullet. It casts beautifully, but is slow.

Does anyone have another one, or better yet, a double cavity 401452 that they would be willing to part with.

KirkD
10-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I just did my second round of 38-40 casting yesterday afternoon. After taking the advice of some forum members, I turned out a bunch of beautifully cast RCBS .40-18-CM bullets that had nice sharp edges all around their flat bases. If you can't find the mould you are looking for, I would recommend this one. It is a double cavity. Now I wish I had more cavities (in my mould, that is).

Harry O
10-20-2008, 08:18 PM
KirkD: Just checked that out and it looks interesting. Is that a crimping groove up front or just two lube grooves? That is an absolute must with me.

I have two 40043 moulds that don't have a crimping groove. I can cast alternately pretty fast with the two of them, but I am uncomfortable with that bullet unless I have a compressed case of Black Powder behind it (yes, I have tried that too -- fun, but not suitable for CAS unless I am willing to clean the guns between each stage). With part-case smokeless loads, there is not enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place.

Harry O
10-20-2008, 08:25 PM
PS: The 401452 is equally accurate at low pressures/velocity and high pressures/velocity. I originally used it at Bhn 15 with 50/50 lube and up to 9.5gr of Unique. That is when I occasionally had problems with the cylinder (base) pin jumping out of battery and tying up the gun. It was accurate, though.

The recent load was with Bhn 5.5 bullets and BP lube. Much less noise and recoil (haven't measured the velocity yet, but equally accurate.