PDA

View Full Version : range report

bmortell
04-12-2019, 04:34 PM
went to a paid public range for approx the third time ever 10$-year, previously ive shot thousands at my house but haven't actually seen a range till few weeks ago. its not really worthy of pics sort of an ugly upswept hill with target holders around but they do have a gong at 250 and 400 which isn't something I can do as easy at home. the closer one is something like 12" and 24" for long one so they appear about same size, I haven't walked out to them so im guessing size. I brought a 3x9 30-06 with lee170 PC gc over 20-2400, and peep sight 44 rifle with 255gr rnfp over 23.5-4227

30-06 on the close one was easy enough, the duplex under the crosshair made a proper aim point and I could see my lead on it with spotting scope for something like a 5 inch group, at 400 the hill curves up so far your aiming like a howitzer actually about 20 degrees on the bench, so basically pile everything you can find on the front of the bench then put the gun on it and duck to aim, on the bright side your face should be safe from ricochets. but I should of had 100"drop and target was 25% of that size so being I have a scope it wasn't hard to hit after I figured a hold just couldn't tell where exactly on the plate. but still satisfying with the significant time delay and all that.

switched to 44 and iron sights, hit the close one by random chance first try, should of been 40"drop, im using the calculator now, forgot to do it before.. also forgot uhm sandbags.. ive been awake for some time. where was I, yes. I was doing fairly well mostly hitting it as I recall, apart from random wind and lack of consistent hold point. then I raised muzzle 25 degrees elevation to line the space shuttle gong. should of had something like 11ft drop and 4 feet drift per 10wind which was happening, specially since the ground curves enough that 400yds puts a straight line over the tree tops mid way. theres the gong then grass ends above it to the woods line and I was basically aiming at the base of a tree off the range with the gong hidden under the muzzle, sent maybe 20 and hit 6, mostly left-right misses.

I will give the range one thing they put some sort of dirt or something around the far gong so you can naked eye your own slow bullet shots at 400 very easy, its visibly dug and added something just don't know what it is. but they couldn't afford a wind flag anywhere, ill donate a thin strip of plastic next time.

think ill go to bed now, thanks for reading :p

RED BEAR
04-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Hey i wish i had a place to shoot like that our range is 100 yrd max.