PDA

View Full Version : Are the red dots in Red Dot powder gone?

Shuz
04-12-2019, 01:36 PM
I read on another forum that Alliant has removed the little red dots that used to be dispersed within the old Red Dot powder? Is that true? Oh my gosh, if true, I wonder if "the new Green Dot" is next?

JBinMN
04-12-2019, 03:43 PM
Don't know about the "new", but all of my Red dot has the red dots in it. Some 1#ers I got were from last year & the year before.

To be honest, I think someone is BSing some folks, since it has been Red Dot with red dots for a reason for decades.

But, of course, the internet & people on it never start rumors, do they? ;)

megasupermagnum
04-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Is the post from 12 days ago?

Texas by God
04-12-2019, 07:10 PM
I guess I will find out pretty soon. Because I am almost out! What's that smell? Oh yes must be **.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BigAlofPa.
04-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Ill go look lol. Just got a new bottle the label did change. There still red dots.

Drydock
04-12-2019, 07:14 PM
Picked up a bottle last week, still has the dots in it.

jsizemore
04-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Red Dot without the red dots is called Promo and is cheap.

Shuz
04-12-2019, 07:53 PM
Is the post from 12 days ago?

Post was from 4/10. said there were no red dots in the new powder!(S&W forum under Reloading for those who wanna see the original post.)

JBinMN
04-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Well... At least ya didn't step in it & track it around the house...
;)

LOL
:)

BigAlofPa.
04-12-2019, 09:02 PM
They may have had a run where the dots were not in the batch. Or the wrong powder was placed on the bottle. If so could be a disaster waiting to happen. Shuz you may want to warn them about the possibility.

44Blam
04-13-2019, 12:16 AM
I have some Blue Dot that I bought about 3 months ago. I can confirm that it has light blue dots in there...

RogerDat
04-13-2019, 01:30 AM
I have some really old red dot where the red has sort of worn off or been covered by black from the other powder grains in the bottle. You have to spread it on white paper to use a magnifying glass to find the little specks of red that can still be found on some grains.

trapper9260
04-13-2019, 06:13 AM
From what I know of there was a reason they put the color dots in the powder.

6bg6ga
04-13-2019, 06:51 AM
Advertising, hype, we old folks have immediate recognition with those little dots.

Thumbcocker
04-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Democrat plot to slowly take away our powder.

Texas by God
04-13-2019, 08:59 AM
The "Dots" are good to have around. Especially Red Dot!

Shuz
04-13-2019, 10:13 AM
According to one poster on the S&W site, the new Red Dot can has a red lid vs the old Red Dot which had black lids.
I 'spose the best way to put this to bed is to contact Alliant and ask if they removed the Red Dots.[smilie=b:

L Erie Caster
04-13-2019, 03:50 PM
I don’t know about Red Dot or Green Dot, but I have loaded 357mag with Blue Dot about 25-30 years ago that I pulled. The dots had faded so much it was not possible to see them. I am sure I would have noticed the lack of the dots when I loaded them. So I suspect all the dots may fade in old powder.

Walter Laich
04-13-2019, 04:20 PM
new powder less than a month ago

red dots are present

gwpercle
04-13-2019, 06:57 PM
The red dots are still in my new bottle of Red Dot Powder .
I have heard a rumor that Promo is supposed to be the same powder as Red Dot powder but Promo doesn't have the red dots in it. Now I've never seen any Promo for myself so don't really know.

Anyone got a jug of Promo ? Does it have any red dots in it ?

JBinMN
04-13-2019, 07:55 PM
I have heard a rumor that Promo is supposed to be the same powder as Red Dot powder but Promo doesn't have the red dots in it. Now I've never seen any Promo for myself so don't really know.

Yes I have an 8 pounder. Just got it a short time ago. No, it does not have Red Dots in it.

Dunno if that helps with the OP's "internet rumor", or not, but it should answer the questions you asked.
;)

{General Info, for any who may not know... Red Dot & Promo powders are basically the same burn speed , but must be measured in comparison by WEIGHT, & NOT VOLUME. ( So no dipper comparison, only a scale. ;)) The load data for the grain weight of Red Dot can be used for Promo when weighed only. Red Dot has red dots & Promo does not.}

GhostHawk
04-13-2019, 09:35 PM
No red dots in promo, but you have to love the price.

Me I like the red dots so I spend the money for them, mostly.

crackers
04-13-2019, 10:15 PM
They tried this with M&Ms and had to put the red ones back in.

gwpercle
04-14-2019, 10:06 AM
JBinMn , Ghost Hawk and Crackers
Thanks for the information, I always wondered about Promo and it's relationship to Red Dot.
Red M & M's taste best !
Gary

JBinMN
04-14-2019, 01:41 PM
JBinMn , Ghost Hawk and Crackers
Thanks for the information, I always wondered about Promo and it's relationship to Red Dot.
Red M & M's taste best !
Gary

:drinks:
You should get some & try it out! In cartridges to shoot & not taste of it... LOL
;)

P.S. - I am told the red dots taste kinda "yucky"...
LOL
;)

Burnt Fingers
04-15-2019, 09:53 AM

http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/sample_detail.php?powder_id=679

Promo doesn't have red dots in it because it's NOT Red Dot. You can use Red Dot data BY WEIGHT with Promo. It was released with high volume shot shell reloaders in mind. You use less powder by VOLUME to get the same results.

Shuz
04-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Promo doesn't have red dots in it because it's NOT Red Dot. You can use Red Dot data BY WEIGHT with Promo. It was released with high volume shot shell reloaders in mind. You use less powder by VOLUME to get the same results.

Nice info, but 10 year old data on Red Dot!

JBinMN
04-15-2019, 01:28 PM

Nice info, but 10 year old data on Red Dot!

Well, When I clicked on the link it sent me to a page with 0777 Ramshot-True Blue Pistol Powder,

and Not Red Dot...
???

So, I am only gonna go with my personal experience that shows me , since I have & load both RD & PROMO & they are fairly current powders in opened containers in my reloading storage area that there are NO red dots in Promo, but the ARE red dots in my Red Dot powder containers.
;)

Like i mentioned earlier, red dots have been in Red Dot for decades, just as the other "Dots" have been in the other "*-Dot" powders.

If anyone is really really concerned, just call or write Alliant & ask...
Here is their phone number, address below. Heck, they even have an "Ask the Experts" link! to email them on site:

7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday (800) 379-1732

Alliant Powder
2299 Snake River Avenue
Lewiston, ID 83501

"Ask the Experts" link: http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

G'Luck! & Have fun!

abunaitoo
04-15-2019, 03:25 PM
I had some old Red Dot someone gave me.
It had gray dots in it.:-D

swheeler
04-15-2019, 07:50 PM
I had some so old the dots turned snow white, what few there were!

Burnt Fingers
04-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Well, When I clicked on the link it sent me to a page with 0777 Ramshot-True Blue Pistol Powder,

and Not Red Dot...
???

So, I am only gonna go with my personal experience that shows me , since I have & load both RD & PROMO & they are fairly current powders in opened containers in my reloading storage area that there are NO red dots in Promo, but the ARE red dots in my Red Dot powder containers.
;)

Like i mentioned earlier, red dots have been in Red Dot for decades, just as the other "Dots" have been in the other "*-Dot" powders.

Here is their phone number, address below. Heck, they even have an "Ask the Experts" link! to email them on site:

Alliant Powder
2299 Snake River Avenue
Lewiston, ID 83501

G'Luck! & Have fun!

There's a pull down menu at the upper left hand corner.

quack1
04-16-2019, 07:31 AM
I was gifted several pounds of Red Dot that was about 50 years old. There were no red dots visible. I shot trap a lot in the 60's and burned many pounds of Red Dot, so knew it had the red flakes in it back then. The original owner was a careful loader, but I still wanted to make sure it was Red Dot and not something else. I emailed Alliant and asked if the red dots were prone to fading over time. They said yes, that could happen. With that info, I loaded two cylinder fulls of a very mild 38 spl. load, one with the old Red Dot and one with some fresh Red Dot I had, and shot them over a chronograph. The velocities were the same.

RogerDat
04-16-2019, 05:59 PM
JB if you will PM me we can work out you sending me a few pounds of that Promo so I can compare to both new Red Dot with dots and old Red Dot with dots almost undetectable. We need to know! The whole reloading community is counting on you to send that powder to me quick so we can get to the bottom of the mystery of do the dots make it shoot further, and burn cleaner with improved accuracy.... or not. Yes we should get started on this today!

woody1
04-20-2019, 08:19 PM
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 3:52 PM
To: Alliant Reloading <Alliant.Reloading@VistaOutdoor.com>
Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form

Red Dot powder - there's a rumor going around that there are no Red Dots in the new powder. I doubt it but thot I'd check. Thanks and regards, Woody

Woody,
Well you know what they say about rumors?
How could we call it Red Dot if we took out the markers?
It still has the markers.
Thanks,
Duane V. /Technical Service Representative
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
(800)379-1732

Shuz
04-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 3:52 PM
To: Alliant Reloading <Alliant.Reloading@VistaOutdoor.com>
Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form

Red Dot powder - there's a rumor going around that there are no Red Dots in the new powder. I doubt it but thot I'd check. Thanks and regards, Woody

Woody,
Well you know what they say about rumors?
How could we call it Red Dot if we took out the markers?
It still has the markers.
Thanks,
Duane V. /Technical Service Representative
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
(800)379-1732

woody1--thanks for putting this one to bed!--Shuz

woody1
04-22-2019, 01:51 PM
woody1--thanks for putting this one to bed!--Shuz

YUP! And after 33 blah, blah blahs about it, it took Mr Duane V. about 14 minutes to respond to my e-mail.

JBinMN
04-22-2019, 02:17 PM
YUP! And after 33 blah, blah blahs about it, it took Mr Duane V. about 14 minutes to respond to my e-mail.

Seems to me that it wasn't worth the time to even go ask them, and I said so in the 2nd post of this topic.

Don't know about the "new", but all of my Red dot has the red dots in it. Some 1#ers I got were from last year & the year before.

To be honest, I think someone is BSing some folks, since it has been Red Dot with red dots for a reason for decades.

But, of course, the internet & people on it never start rumors, do they? ;)

Along with a couple more posts reflecting the idea that I thought it was ** & to just make some quips about thinking it was true.

I also included the Alliant contact info in post #28, for anyone who was believing that Alliant had changed their inclusion of Red Dots, so they could go check on it themselves, Just like YOU did...

...Snip...

;)

Alliant Powder
2299 Snake River Avenue
Lewiston, ID 83501

G'Luck! & Have fun!

So I do not count all my posts here as "blah , blah, blah", but actually there was more than one informative one.

I knew that it was likely a hoax/rumor , & YOU did not, apparently, and DID make the email contact , so I wouldn't be climbing up on any "high horse" about your sending in an email and others did not, since you were fooled enough to even ask Alliant about it.

But, suit yourself... Think as ya like... Most folks do.

A suggestion might be, in order to be "helpful" here, is that folks may want to consider refraining about making "blanket statements" about who is foolish & posts, "blah , blah blah", and such nonsense, in the future...

Do as ya like though... and most folks do that too...