PDA

View Full Version : I went to the range. had a blast!

frkelly74
04-10-2019, 12:13 AM
Today I loaded up some 22 ammo in the car and some 9mm reloads and headed to the Bridgeport gun Club out toward Flint. It is a seemingly economical range and has enough reasonable rules to keep things safe but no body jumping on you for picking up empties or scrounging lead. It was actually my first visit to shoot and the few people who were there showed me the target stands and were friendly and polite. I fired off about 160 nine mm loads with a pretty good charge of Clays International powder that I got someplace and 125 gr flat nose Lee boolits, some tumble lubed and some PC'd. I shot on the 25yd portion and It was just fun to shoot the High Point carbine. I need to do something about the trigger, It seems rough and is uncomfortable after the first 100 shots, Also I noticed that 9 rounds fit into the 10 round magazines easily but the tenth seems to put a lot of strain on the lips, so I will only put 9 in them I guess. It has been 4 years since I was able to just shoot something and I needed it. When all the 9mm ammo was gone I got out the Remington 521 that I got when I was 13 and shot up a box of 22 STD Vel CCI ammo. It is good stuff. Toward the end I noticed a black dot about the size of a bug on the lower part of the target frame. It DID entice me to try for it and I resisted it for a while. But then I gave in and went for it and don't you know I hit it. Funny thing, it was one of the screws holding the corrugated card board to the 2X2 frame. So I guess the rifle is actually a screw driver. I knew it was a useful tool. It splintered the bottom member of the frame pretty good, Which is against one of the rules. I came home and put 3 frames together from junk laying around and will take them next time. My wife wondered what took me so long, I wondered where the time went. Next time I will take the handy 30/30 and the 6.5 Swede that I have had for 3 years and not fired.

myg30
04-10-2019, 05:06 AM
4 yrs you let go by without shooting ? That sir is a long time and I bet it sure did feel good.
I too just rejoined my local outdoor range and did some pistol shooting which felt good. I’m not sure what my best excuse was, but now I have the urge to keep going since it’s been about 10 months since my last trip. I pass within 2 miles of it every day on my way home from work. I’d have at least an hour or 2 fer shooting and even more now that the hours extend with the later sundown.
Reloading Ammo n the evenings and shooting in the afternoon ! What could be better ?

Enjoy and be safe, take the wife next time. She might like some trigger time ?

Mike

Hickory
04-10-2019, 05:49 AM
I went to Wenatchee, WA last month to visit a friend and we went to the shooting range 3-4 times a week.
Something that was amazing to both me and Bruce was the number of people at the 12 foot range shooting rifles and handguns. One guy was shooting a high power rifle that could have been a 308 Winchester.
You read it right, 12 FEET.
And there were people waiting in line to shoot.
The 25, 50, 75 and 100 yard slots had only two people shooting.

Bruce said, what's that all about? I shrugged and said it must be a contest to see who can catch the target on fire by shooting at it. A guy standing close heard what I said and glared at me as if to set me on fire.

rancher1913
04-10-2019, 06:42 AM
last outing to our range was last weekend and all I did was use my trackhoe to dig a hole beside our trap house, it keeps getting water in it and the ptb's wanted to see about waterproofing it.

Silvercreek Farmer
04-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Glad you made it out! Crazy how life gets in the way of doing things we love, and before you know it, years have gone by! Hope you get back soon!

Perhaps some pellet rifle shooting at the house to keep you in the game?

frkelly74
04-10-2019, 12:15 PM
To clarify, I have snuck in some shooting here and there , so It wasn't quite cold turkey for the four years. But to just go out and blow through several hundred rounds for fun in a safe place where everyone thinks you are having fun and not up to something was great. It was a blast!

RED BEAR
04-10-2019, 12:45 PM
I know it felt good. Had to skip range for while myself and it sure was nice to get back. Hope you have many more trips to enjoy.