PDA

View Full Version : powder coat and lube?

Blammer
04-08-2019, 10:36 PM
so, those who powder coat have you tried using lube in addition to the powder coat?

aka, lubed powder coated bullets?

extra slippery, no fouling?

just curious

bmortell
04-08-2019, 11:02 PM
depends what im doin, my 44 revolver boolits like if I shoot a keith with just pc the lube grove will fully obturate out so I cant imagine consistent accuracy is as good with design changing shape so much, I can see voids and flush spots where it fills out. also both seems to give highest speeds and clean bores. my powder coated TL ones for 44 rifle I wipe a little LLA on the bands so seating feels 10 times better and bore looks best ive seen apart from the half pound of 4227 coatings in the barrel after every shot but if you look around them it looks very good. 30 cal I actually do plain pc but groves on little bullets are more like TL size groves anyway.

waksupi
04-09-2019, 12:03 PM
I have found no need to use any lube aside from the powder coat. Equal accuracy with the paint job to a lubed projectile.

Conditor22
04-09-2019, 12:31 PM
Most PC to get away from sticky/messy lube
PC is a lube replacement.
Properly sized PC'd boolits don't foul the barrel and don't smoke as the lubed ones do.
I can't remember the last time I cleaned a barrel:smile:

Yodogsandman
04-10-2019, 12:20 AM
I seem to remember Larry doing an experiment a few years back between powder coated and PC with lube added.
Can't remember his results.

44Blam
04-10-2019, 01:02 AM
I put a tiny bit of lube on the odd bootlit (50th or 100th or more so) as I size them so they go a little smoother through the die...

bmortell
04-10-2019, 01:46 AM
Heres an example of how pc dont replace lube
this was pre lapping my sizer the right size so just pretend theyre pretty and i put this on a similar thread before but i dont know if many seen it. But its roughly aircoww keith 44mag around full charge, left just pc right had black lyman stick lube.

But it shows my point well of why lube groves without lube arent that great, depending on several things it might obturate out anyway and not do so evenly. Small tumble groves are better for this and more efficient at getting weight in x length so win win.

Cant find my notes on speed difference but it was small but measurable pc and lube was something like 30-50 faster and your bullets come out the barrel the same design they went in. Not that id prefer to do that id rather it be a design without a big void ring, if the mass was taken off the base instead you could get more speed by increasing capacity

waksupi
04-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Heres an example of how pc dont replace lube
this was pre lapping my sizer the right size so just pretend theyre pretty and i put this on a similar thread before but i dont know if many seen it. But its roughly aircoww keith 44mag around full charge, left just pc right had black lyman stick lube.

But it shows my point well of why lube groves without lube arent that great, depending on several things it might obturate out anyway and not do so evenly. Small tumble groves are better for this and more efficient at getting weight in x length so win win.

Cant find my notes on speed difference but it was small but measurable pc and lube was something like 30-50 faster and your bullets come out the barrel the same design they went in. Not that id prefer to do that id rather it be a design without a big void ring, if the mass was taken off the base instead you could get more speed by increasing capacity

Granted that the hydraulic effect of the lube is not there to prevent groove collapse, but if accuracy is still there, I don't see that as a negative. My bullets still group as well at 100 yards with the powder coat.

gwpercle
04-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Like wearing a belt and suspenders !
Gary

Sig556r
04-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Seen some folks run them boolits thru a lubrisizer then tumble with BLL...