PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli sharps mold

grantharris1945
04-07-2019, 10:48 PM
I am wanting to cast for mid range for my 45-70 sharps. Is paper patching the way to go or would a normal lubed bullet be better?
Which molds would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bent Ramrod
04-08-2019, 09:23 AM
If you simply want to start shooting as quickly as possible, and especially if this is your first foray into first black powder cartridge rifles, I would recommend a grease groove boolit, specifically the ~540 gr Paul Jones Creedmoor design. Jones is retired, but Buffalo Arms and perhaps Accurate have copies. There’s much more literature on how to get target grade accuracy out of grease-groove boolits; there’s fewer nuances to have to work out, and the loads are almost down to a science.

Less expensive mould designs like the Lyman 457125 Government roundnose and the 457132 Postell designs work well, too.

If you have to be historically accurate or cool, or it’s the experimentation that appeals to you, then paper-patching would be the way to go, particularly if you are just starting out casting and don’t have a lubrisizer. The literature is more thinly scattered, and the really successful efforts for target competition are on Internet sites like this one, the Shiloh site, the BPCR site and the Historic Shooting Forum. Look for names like Brent Danielson, Rdnk, Kenny Wasserberger, Rick Mulhern and Don McDowell.

Some people “get” paper patching right away, but more often, a lot of fine imponderables need sorting out before success is achieved.

country gent
04-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Pick up a copy of Randolph S Wrights Loading and Shooting the Paper Patched Bullet A beginners Guide. It very good and well laid out information. While it deals with the PP bullet the techniques cross over to the grease groove bullet also. Starting out with midrange loads ( 200-600yds) as said above the lymans are good for grease grooves I also shoot a 547 silhouette bullet by Old West moulds, this bullet performs very well also. Paper Patching a bullet in the desired length around .443 dia wrapped with 2 wraps of paper to bore dia . There's more to getting paper patched bullets right and to shoot well.

In selecting a bullet you need to keep twist rate in mind also. a 1-18 will stabilize most of the long bullets.

grantharris1945
04-08-2019, 04:12 PM
If you simply want to start shooting as quickly as possible, and especially if this is your first foray into first black powder cartridge rifles, I would recommend a grease groove boolit, specifically the ~540 gr Paul Jones Creedmoor design. Jones is retired, but Buffalo Arms and perhaps Accurate have copies. There’s much more literature on how to get target grade accuracy out of grease-groove boolits; there’s fewer nuances to have to work out, and the loads are almost down to a science.

Less expensive mould designs like the Lyman 457125 Government roundnose and the 457132 Postell designs work well, too.

If you have to be historically accurate or cool, or it’s the experimentation that appeals to you, then paper-patching would be the way to go, particularly if you are just starting out casting and don’t have a lubrisizer. The literature is more thinly scattered, and the really successful efforts for target competition are on Internet sites like this one, the Shiloh site, the BPCR site and the Historic Shooting Forum. Look for names like Brent Danielson, Rdnk, Kenny Wasserberger, Rick Mulhern and Don McDowell.

Some people “get” paper patching right away, but more often, a lot of fine imponderables need sorting out before success is achieved.

I was curious about the difference between the two, which should shoot better?

tagunn
04-08-2019, 05:12 PM
I shoot the Lyman 330 gr Hp in my 45/90.

Bent Ramrod
04-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Grantharris, I’m by no means a good enough shot to give a definitive answer to your question, but I’ve come to the opinion that, if everything is going right, the paper patch boolit has a slight accuracy edge over the the grease groove one, all other factors being equal, which of course, they never are.

However, perfectly adequate accuracy for competition can be attained with grease groove boolits, and they seem to be more forgiving of bore condition, chamber dimensions, alloy hardness, boolit diameter (which also includes patch thickness in this case), and specific brand, type, grade and weight of powder charge.

For instance, when I got my No. 1 Shiloh Sharps, all my shells were already loaded with grease groove loads developed for my No. 3 Shiloh. I had to shoot the thing immediately, so I took the other loads out to the range and found they were as accurate in the new rifle as the other one, as far as my testing could determine. Later, when I’d developed a paper patch load for the No. 3, I took a few of those loads out with the No. 1, and the accuracy was thoroughly mediocre.

Paper patch load development is a lot like the case weighing, neck turning, primer pocket uniforming, “doughnut” removal, and other minutiae that the Bench Rest competitors do to shave the last thousandth of an inch off their groups. Short of the most cutthroat benchrest competition, whether anybody “needs” Official Screamer performance out of a rifle that is capable of 1/4MOA already is really up to them. But I have to say when you get a real “hummer” of a paper patch load, there is a genuine sense of achievement. You reach back over a century in time to the Creedmoor shooters and buffalo runners. You feel like going down to the bus station and telling total strangers that you are thee Stuff.

(Or, at least, you feel like logging onto this site and noting all the particulars for the Permanent Record.):mrgreen:

mehavey
04-08-2019, 08:59 PM
See https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5962097&postcount=4
(100yds)

Of the common moulds available today, the soft-medium cast Lyman 535gr Postell (#457132) using
standard 50/50-lubed grooves and AA5744 powder is a tried/true Sharps performer.

When you're ready for some real GottaBeNuts next steps, we'll intro Black Powder
....... and when you're on-the-edge insane, we'll add paper-patching

grantharris1945
04-09-2019, 12:55 AM
See https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5962097&postcount=4
(100yds)

Of the common moulds available today, the soft-medium cast Lyman 535gr Postell (#457132) using
standard 50/50-lubed grooves and AA5744 powder is a tried/true Sharps performer.

When you're ready for some real GottaBeNuts next steps, we'll intro Black Powder
....... and when you're on-the-edge insane, we'll add paper-patching

If I had a reliable source of BP I’d be on it but I don’t [emoji52]

I am going to try to find a Lyman on eBay.
Anyone messed with the RCBS version of those bullets? I believe it’s a 500gr

Wayne Smith
04-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Grant, post your location. There may be someone local to you who can help.

grantharris1945
04-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Gonzales LA

waksupi
04-09-2019, 12:01 PM
I just so happen to have a 560 gr. Postell mold for sale.

grantharris1945
04-09-2019, 07:52 PM
I just so happen to have a 560 gr. Postell mold for sale.
Pm me

grantharris1945
04-09-2019, 08:52 PM
I ended up ordering a Lyman 457125

Does anyone know if the bullets are big enough to size in a 459 die or do I need to buy another?