PDA

View Full Version : Plastic bags to store molds

abunaitoo
04-05-2019, 09:33 PM
I put my molds in plastic ziploc bags, then they go into tall ammo cans.
Seems like a waste to cut, and seal, 2gal bags to fit the molds.
Plus the bags are only 2mils thick.
Anyone know of a pace to get Long bags that are at least 4mils thick????

Camper64
04-05-2019, 09:36 PM
If you have a vacuum sealer, you could get the 6" wide rolls and custom make to length.

tazman
04-05-2019, 09:40 PM
Since they are going into a tall ammo can(sealed I assume), why use a plastic bag at all. Take a rag and spray some oil on the rag and wrap it around the mold. All done. If you need identification, wire a small tag with the mold info on it around the rag and mold to keep it all together.

David2011
04-05-2019, 10:56 PM
The rust inhibitor impregnated paper is readily available. A few chips in the ammo box will protect your molds even in a tropical environment.

Yodogsandman
04-06-2019, 12:23 AM
For long term storage, I just take the mold off from the handles, spray it down with Kroil and place it in a sandwich size zip lock bag with a small desiccant bag before putting them in a nice, dry closet (next to the chimney).

Petrol & Powder
04-06-2019, 07:24 AM
Here's what I do, not saying it's the best method - just sharing one method:

Short term storage of molds involves letting them cool a little but applying Kroil while they are still warm. A couple of drops of Kroil down the holes in the spure plate and then after the mold cools, the oil is spread over all of the surfaces.

Long term storage is the same method but RIG is used instead of Kroil. The molds are removed from the handles and placed back in their original boxes.

Two key points:
1. the oil or grease is applied while the metal is still warm so there is NO chance for water vapor to condense on the metal before the oil/grease seals the surface. When using RIG the grease is applied while the metal is still quite warm so that the grease melts and flows into all of the spaces.
2. BOTH methods require that the mold be degreased prior to use. That is the price one pays to prevent rust. I happily pay that price in exchange for never having to deal with rust issues.

cwlongshot
04-06-2019, 07:36 AM
I buy bags off ebay. They can be had in many sizes up to 8 mils thick!!!

I use them mostly for boolups. But they are VERY dureable and the 8’s are difficult to open they are so tough!!

CW

Ed_Shot
04-06-2019, 07:50 AM
Again, just sharing what works for me. Once my Lyman molds are cool enough to handle, I disassemble and apply a generous coat of penetrating oil to all parts then reassemble, rap in a cloth rag, and store in a sandwich meat container marked with the mold number. Preping to cast , I might spend 30 seconds degreasing with W-mart break cleaner. If the alloy and mold are up to temp I'll get perfect boolits on the first cast. I have no rust.

StrawHat
04-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Bags of all shapes and sizes are available fro Uline.

Kevin

ascast
04-06-2019, 09:23 AM
I use 50 ammo cans, handles off. I have done this for 50 years, across many states and climates. I NEVER grease or oil my molds and I never have any rust issues. Moisture absorbers are a great idea. I have hundreds of molds. Somebody like Plano makes plastic inserts for 50 cans. They come in a 3 pack. Check ebay. They are not perfect as the dividers are fixed, but you can easily double how many per can.

Daver7
04-06-2019, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure where I picked this up at but I always leave the last pour in the mold. Wipe off the outside and store in a ammo can. Been doing it that way for 30 years with no problems. Looking at the many different ways people store moulds I'm reminded of a saying we used work.
"There's more than one way to WalMart."

ascast
04-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Those 50 cal inserts are made by MTM. You can find them on google or others

alamogunr
04-06-2019, 12:48 PM
I use plastic food containers(not reused) with tight fitting lids. I put 2 or 3 desiccant capsules in each container and change them out about every 4-6 months. I get the desiccant capsules from my pharmacist son. You can get a bunch from your pharmacy if you have a good(profitable for them) relationship.

I tried the 50 cal. ammo can but found that it was too much trouble if I had more than 3 or 4 molds in a can.

RogerDat
04-06-2019, 01:21 PM
I'm sort of mulling over the same question as the OP but I want to keep them on a shelf or drawer, not in an ammo can. Looking for plastic containers suitable for single mold or maybe a few smaller two cavity molds. I was thinking for lubricant of using WD-40 since I seem to recall it's original purpose was to displace water and prevent rust. Reading where people use oil on warm mold does make sense. Oil will follow the cooling into every nook and cranny. Some calibers if I cast up a couple or three hundred I'm not going to need that mold again for a good long time so cleaning before use isn't a big deal. The molds that see more frequent use I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather just store ready to use.

abunaitoo
04-06-2019, 08:48 PM
Uline has what I'm looking for, but have to buy 1000 of them.
UGGGGGG!!!!!!!

cwlongshot
04-07-2019, 07:30 AM
EBay!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F15 2995860356

CW

HATCH
04-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Anyone know of a pace to get Long bags that are at least 4mils thick????

uline

I put all my ammo that I load in 4mil bags and then place them in 30 cal ammo cans
My magma molds go into the same type bags.
I coat the molds with synthetic 2 cycle oil

HATCH
04-07-2019, 08:08 AM
EBay!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F15 2995860356

CW

https://www.amazon.com/4Mil-Clear-Reclosable-Lock-Bags/dp/B06XPKP3CD/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=2+1%2F2+x+3+bag&qid=1554638793&s=gateway&sr=8-6

always check amazon because a lot of ebay sellers are just resellers

abunaitoo
04-07-2019, 04:36 PM
I checked evilbay a amazon.
Didn't have the size I'm looking for.
It's not important.
I spray the molds before going in the bag and ammo can.

Conditor22
04-07-2019, 07:11 PM
$2 cheaper than evilbay
https://www.amazon.com/4Mil-Clear-Reclosable-Lock-Bags/dp/B06XPKP3CD/ref=sr_1_1?

keywords=2.5%22+x+3%22%2C+4Mil+Clear+Reclosable+Zi p+Lock+Bags&qid=1554678146&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spell

I spray the molds, wrap them in VCI paper then seal that closed with an adhesive label of what the mold is.

Amazon has the WORST search function for such a large site.

You can find bags and ASBBDT bowls at restaurant supply groceries

Locally (and in the NW) --- Smart Foodservice Warehouse Stores. must be several other chains around.

William Yanda
04-07-2019, 08:29 PM
If you are intent on 4 mil, does it have to be a bag?

Ranger 7
05-07-2019, 09:16 PM
I store mine in Tupperware boxes, six per.
Stay sealed and tight.
I do use lee molds only, though.