PDA

View Full Version : Alloy question re As and wheelweights.

pps
10-19-2008, 05:37 PM
From reading here and at other links provided, it is my understanding that the trace amounts of As present in wheel weight acts as a catalyst for allowing the Sb to be used in amounts as small as 3% for heat treatment to obtain hardness without sacrificing ductility.

I have about 45# of ingots smelted from Hornady swagged boolits (5% Sb/95%Pb). If I smelt this with 45# of wheel weight and add 1-2% Sn for fillout will there be enough trace As to allow the alloy to essentially respond to heat treatment the same as pure ww + 1-2% Sn?

Bass Ackward
10-19-2008, 07:48 PM
From reading here and at other links provided, it is my understanding that the trace amounts of As present in wheel weight acts as a catalyst for allowing the Sb to be used in amounts as small as 3% for heat treatment to obtain hardness without sacrificing ductility.

I have about 45# of ingots smelted from Hornady swagged boolits (5% Sb/95%Pb). If I smelt this with 45# of wheel weight and add 1-2% Sn for fillout will there be enough trace As to allow the alloy to essentially respond to heat treatment the same as pure ww + 1-2% Sn?

Will it respond? Yes. Will it be the same? Hard to say. Depends on where you are in the country. WW today are basically made from two sources. One uses 4% antimony and the other 2%. The percentage you get will depend on the combination and therefore what you get when you blend. Mine here in PA is close enough to 4% to call it.

One thing is for sure, antimony binds to tin better than it does to lead. If you add tin, you lower the final hardness possible no matter what your catalyst or antimony percentage. And you never want to add more tin than antimony because you will develop soft spots that are no harder than a lead tin combination of that percentage. That can be very soft if the rest of your slug is say 24 BHN.

So what I am telling you is that you need to use your WW and determine what you have to work with and then answering this will be easier. Minimize the tin and I would bet it's close.

pps
10-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Cool, on your suggestion I will definitely minimize the tin at adding 1%. It sounds like adding the Hornady lead I will probably boost the Sb content a bit. My main concern is that I retain enough As to help the Sb during heat treatment.

I plan on trying for a BHN in the 18 to 21 ballpark

Bass Ackward
10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Since it is the rapid cooling that creates the process, just realize that a small chunk cools faster than a large chunk. So bullet weight and caliber will determine final hardness and need to be factored.

Your numbers are realistic and should be attainable for stuff up to 500 grain.