PDA

View Full Version : What 32 cal powder charge do you use?

Kylongrifle32
04-04-2019, 01:39 PM
I've been using a 32 cal muzzleloader to hunt squirrels for about 30 years now and have only used one weight charge to hunt and target shoot with. 20 grains of fffg under a .310 round ball. I think this was for a old Speers reloading manual that if I recall correctly went up to 30 grains fffg for 32 cal. 20 grains groups a large jagged hole at 20 yards with all 3 rifles I have but makes one heck of a crack in the woods. Shoot a squirrel in a holler and have to go to the next holler to find another one that wasn't scared to death. Any of you folks use lighter powder charges with go accuracy?
Just curious of what others are using before I get the itch and get out the ol smoke poles to start load testing.

Happy shooting Mike

rfd
04-04-2019, 03:33 PM
what matters most is what yer gun wants to digest for the best consistent accuracy. looks like you found it for 20 yards. i'd ladder load 20 to 35 grains of a quality 3f like swiss or old eynsford, and bench the gun at 25 and 50 yards. i wouldn't be concerned over noise, it is what it is. sit back and have snack whilst the tree rats regroup and get back to their daily business so you can have another go at 'em.

gbrown
04-04-2019, 07:23 PM
what matters most is what yer gun wants to digest for the best consistent accuracy. looks like you found it for 20 yards. i'd ladder load 20 to 35 grains of a quality 3f like swiss or old eynsford, and bench the gun at 25 and 50 yards. i wouldn't be concerned over noise, it is what it is. sit back and have snack whilst the tree rats regroup and get back to their daily business so you can have another go at 'em.

+1 on this. Done it many times.

John Taylor
04-11-2019, 06:14 PM
I tried to get my 32 to shoot and was using what one book called for, 30 grains of 3F. It didn't do good at all. Then one day I was thinking about the 32 rim fire long and remembered it only used 9 grains of powder so I cut back to ten grains and it was like wow, it started shooting the way it should.

rbuck351
04-12-2019, 11:07 AM
I tried 10 through 20 and stopped at 20 as it now shoots 1" at 50yds and I think that may be my limit not the rifles.

Squeeze
04-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Most 48 twist want a 20-25 grn. load for accuracy. A 30 twist cherokee/seneca can go down to 10 grn. charge. Twist in a .32 does not follow the traditional rules, the small caliber seems to drop of any standard chart, and makes its own set of rules. (in roundball)

Kylongrifle32
04-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys
It will be a couple of months before I get the old smoke poles out for some shooting fun and I will do a little load experimenting. Took my first 32 cal muzzleloader a traditions deer huner and dropped 20 grains down the barrel to start with. After getting it sighted in at 20 yards I was shooting the thumbtacks holding the target to the board and just stuck with that. And it's worked just as well in my next three 32 cal rifles I've gotten.

I just miss my youthful days with my 22 shorts sliding under a tree raining down hickory cuttings in all directions and getting 3 or 4 squirrels without having to move but from one side of the tree to the other.

Maybe thats why they were called longhunters. Shot a squirrel here and walk a long way to get another. Lol.

stubshaft
04-12-2019, 04:09 PM
19.0 3F for me.

1Hawkeye
04-12-2019, 09:55 PM
I had a couple of .32 Cherokee's back in the day and could never get them to shoot anything less than 30 grains of 3 fg with a round ball and 35 grains with a maxi-ball. I remember t/c's manual recommended 30 to 50 grains of 3fg regardless of the bullet used. I wish they would have shot as well with less powder.