PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Gibbs Bullet Size?

Gellot Wilde
10-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Just got one of these and was wondering if anyone here is currently shooting one.

I believe that the bullet needs to be .448/.449 and weight around 535grains. Seems that plenty of places say size the bullet, but I have always belived that shooting them as cast works best.

If anyone is shooting one of these and has any info they can share I'd be very greatful to hear from you.

:-D

Buckshot
10-20-2008, 03:39 AM
.................I'm not shooting one of those, but a Parker-Hale Whitworth (1862 Military 3 band LR target rifle), and a Rigby clone I built from a kit , below"

http://www.fototime.com/79E8B23CAB84AC7/standard.jpg

Since it has a Green Mountain .458"x.450" barrel I patch to .450". I swage .443" slugs and then patch with 9lb (.002") paper, below:

http://www.fototime.com/F5B2831828DBFE3/standard.jpg

However, from what I've read and heard, the Pedersoli fast twist 45 cal wants then at .448". A good place to check in and become a member would be: http://www.lrml.org/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

..................Buckshot

Gellot Wilde
10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks Buckshot, those are some hansome looking bullets you have there. Just joined that forum this morning, looks like it's just getting up and running.

Thank you for the info.

idahoron
10-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Buckshot, I have the same barrel. I was wondering about lube. For target shooting I have been adding lube right before I shoot. When I am hunting I don't lube at all. They shoot the same but I am worried about barrel wear. A guy is only going to shoot a couple a year so I am not too worried. What do you think? Ron

Buckshot
10-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Buckshot, I have the same barrel. I was wondering about lube. For target shooting I have been adding lube right before I shoot. When I am hunting I don't lube at all. They shoot the same but I am worried about barrel wear. A guy is only going to shoot a couple a year so I am not too worried. What do you think? Ron

.............For a couple unlubed rounds a year I sure wouldn't worry about it. Are you shooting a MLer?

Gellot Wilde David still has the Yahoo E-list up and active. It has several years worth of posts on it, and you should join that one also. The Bulletin Board is much newer.

................Buckshot

SCIBUL
10-21-2008, 04:00 AM
Hello all !
I have a PEDERSOLI Mortimer Witworth and have some troubles with it. Those were from the throats dimensions that were not .451 as mentionned but .450. My first slug stood in the middle of the barrel... :confused: Now I use the PEDERSOLI mold (500 grs) that delivers boolits of 510 - 513grs (pure lead) and size them down to .449. Each boolit is hand lubed with de 50/50 mix of NRA lube and beeswax prior to sizing. Results are OK with 2" at 110 yards but I weight every boolit. Charge is 58,6grs of fffg powder (yes, fffg) and when I shoot it at 220 yards last time I made a 5" group out of 13 shots. I'm pleased but PEDERSOLI rifles are definitely out of specification !
SCIBUL

idahoron
10-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Buckshot, Ya mine is a TC Renegade with a 32" GM 1-18 twist. I use a lubed over powder wad and for target I use just a dab of Hornady great plains lube. When I am hunting for deer I don't use the lube but I do use the lubed over powder wad. I do this also with my other GM Stainless steel 1-28 twist TC Renegades. I don't like to lube the paper because I have seen problems from time to time with paper that fails because the lube weakened it. With shooting at Coyotes and stuff I would say I would be under 20 rounds per year in eace of the guns.
Ron