PDA

View Full Version : Clean primers

fatelk
04-03-2019, 02:51 AM
I pulled down some live ammo recently. It was someone else's 50 year old reloads. I decapped all the brass, and somehow a couple of the old live primers ended up in with some other brass for a 3 hour ride in the wet tumbler.

So, I find these two half-century old primers in with the steel pins after soaking and tumbling in dirty, soapy, acidic (lemishine) water for hours. I was going to throw them in the garbage but instead set then aside out of curiosity. After a few days I seated them in a couple pieces of 30-06 brass and pulled the trigger on them (no powder or bullet). BANG! Both made a sharp crack just like new primers.

Primers are hard to kill, aren't they?

David2011
04-03-2019, 03:32 AM
Yes, they are. From all the tests I’ve read WD-40 and oil are no better for deactivating primers. I’ve mixed them in with leftover batches of epoxy which helps isolate them from impacts but that doesn’t make them inert.

RED BEAR
04-04-2019, 08:30 AM
I drop them in a jar of water and let them soak until compound dissolves then pour water outside and throw primers away.

lightman
04-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Yeah, they are pretty tough. I've done similar things to them and they all still fired.

Mytmousemalibu
04-04-2019, 09:01 AM
If they were that old, clean your bore just in case they were corrosive. You never know, they could have been on some fellas shelf for a couple decades too and thus old enough to be corrosive. Those old corrosive primers are quite reliable which is why they were used.

Johnch
04-04-2019, 08:30 PM
LOL
I add then to the trash and burn them

If they are corrosive , my burning barrel dose not care
I just here "POP" when the heat gets to them
But I hate to chance harming my gun barrels

John

fatelk
04-05-2019, 12:24 AM
Yeah I cleaned the rifle; don't think they were corrosive but not taking any chances.

The ironic thing is that I also just started using some other old primers that came with some other junk I bought at a gun show, several boxes of Winchester 6 1/2. The boxes had a little water damage and some of the primers had some corrosion on them (tossed those). I figured the ones that looked good should work for plinking loads.

I loaded a handful of .223 moderate FMJ rounds, and had click-bangs and duds. I pulled apart the duds to find that the primers had fired and the powder was clumped up. I put a couple primed cases in the rifle and they went bang. Sounded maybe a bit weak but they popped pretty good. I tried some different powder with the same result.

I don't know what happened to them. They look fine but they're sure no good. I'm glad I didn't go loading up a bunch of them before trying them out.