PDA

View Full Version : Burns...

Burnt Fingers
04-01-2019, 07:37 PM
How do ya all deal with burns?

I've got a nice one right now on the inside of my left wrist. Reached across the mold to pick something up and bam.

A couple of weeks ago I had three small healing burns on my left arm. Two from dropping sprues back into the pot and one from my fluxing spoon spitting at me.

I wish I could wear long sleeves but I run REALLY hot. If it's 50° in the garage I'm in shorts and a tee shirt and likely a fan turned on.

I do wear a full body apron that covers me from neck to ankles, that's one of the things that warms me up.

Hickory
04-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Wear gloves.
It works for me.

Walter Laich
04-01-2019, 07:47 PM
put it under cool running water if possible. Let it there for a while. probably will throb when taken out

pat dry with sterile pad.

I use 3-1 ointment from wally world--something like that is a must. then band aid or loose clean dressing.

burns take time to heal

BUT . . . if you can see your bone or it is a through and through you probably need to go to ER ;)

ShooterAZ
04-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Aloe Vera works well for first degree burns.

Bazoo
04-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Neosporin with pain relief.

Nrut
04-01-2019, 07:55 PM
I wear a light weight leather palmed workmans glove on my right hand to operate the spure plate..
Also wear a full clear face shield to protect my eyes..
And I make sure my pant cuff covers the top of my boots/shoes..
That's it..
Yes every once in awhile I may touch something hot with bare skin, but that's my fault and except that as a lesson learnt, till next time..
Long story short "get over it".. [smilie=p:

sureYnot
04-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Safety glasses, jeans. Everything else is negotiable. I just ignore minor burns. "Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

TNsailorman
04-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Soak in really cold water for at least 30 minutes to draw out the fire. Then cover in some kind of salve like Aloe Vera to keep air off it . Works for me, james

lightman
04-01-2019, 08:05 PM
put it under cool running water if possible. Let it there for a while. probably will throb when taken out

pat dry with sterile pad.

I use 3-1 ointment from wally world--something like that is a must. then band aid or loose clean dressing.

burns take time to heal

BUT . . . if you can see your bone or it is a through and through you probably need to go to ER ;)

!!!This!!! The first first aid is to cool it off. Cold running water, an ice cube, a towel soaked in cold water. The next thing is to avoid the burn by being aware of the things that cause burns.

Tom W.
04-01-2019, 08:13 PM
I have two different pairs of welders gloves. I'll put on a pair when I go to dump my sprues and obviously bad boolits back into the pot. Little tiny splashes seldom bother me. I never cut my sprues and dump them directly into the pot. That makes things too exciting for my old self...... I cut the sprues into an old meatloaf pan.

Mal Paso
04-01-2019, 08:14 PM

Yep! Get a plant from a nursery and plant it outside the casting room. If you get a burn break off a leaf, split it open and smear the goo on the burn.

MrHarmless
04-01-2019, 08:15 PM
I'd start off with *cool* water, not *cold* water. You don't wanna shock the damaged area with even more extremes. I follow up with a generic neosporin and appropriately sized bandage.

Markopolo
04-01-2019, 08:19 PM
I keep silvadine ointment on hand in my med kit. But it is available by prescription only. But nothing works like it.. takes the heat of the wound away, and makes it all better. It is also an antibiotic. Next time you go to the doc for any reason, ask for a prescription for it to put in your home med kit.. it is a bit spendy, but simply the best.

Marko

nueces5
04-01-2019, 08:29 PM
If the burn is superficial, such as only a reddened area or blister, you should remove the remains of dead skin and clean with soap and water.
Then apply a cream (plenty) that has silver sulfadiazine, vitamin A and lidocaine. Here in Argentina there are a couple of creams that come prepared like this. Lidocaine will act as an analgesic, sulfadiazine as an antibiotic and vitamin A as a regenerator.
Then wrap the wound with self-adhesive nylon, the one used in the kitchen, transparent that sticks with itself. Whether it is an arm or a leg is very easy. Make sure the cream is in contact with the burn. Take an analgesic and wait for it to heal. Each time that healing is disarmed, wash the burn and cure again. It's the fastest way I saw in my patients and in me.

cat-mechanic
04-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Have had great luck with a product made by a company called California Tan. It's called Insurance burn relief. Unfortunately they quit making it. Every so often I find it on eBay. But I've used it on some bad burns and this stuff just takes the pain away.

Land Owner
04-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Silver Nitrate 0.5% solution is the right stuff. I was burned over 25% of my body. the silver nitrate was antibiotic, light absorbing (to preclude induced pieldbaldism), and an analgesic.

Dieselhorses
04-02-2019, 12:24 AM
Silver Nitrate 0.5% solution is the right stuff. I was burned over 25% of my body. the silver nitrate was antibiotic, light absorbing (to preclude induced pieldbaldism), and an analgesic.

They also used silver nitrate to stop bleeding in olden days. But yes it does wonders on burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
04-02-2019, 07:07 AM
I like the "Blue stuff" Aloe Vera they sell for sunburn relief with 2% Lidocaine in it.
Takes the sting out right now. Also handy for older uses with Hemroids. First couple of times you use it you will get a little "blue glow" or blue fire. Tough it out.

Aloe toughens the skin, shrinks it. Exactly what you need to get those roids to shut up.

OS OK
04-02-2019, 09:00 AM
The above posts gives you all the R/X needed for your current burns so I'll give you some R/X for preventing burns in the future...works like a champ.

Burns heal and the pain goes away, however...bad habits in casting does not unless, you change your ways of doing things.
Slow down for the moment...think about what caused the burn. It wasn't the hot mould or the splash of the lead from the pot, it was negligence...failure to abide by some personal set of rules that would prevent these burns in the first place.

Set the mould down if you want to cross arms to pick something up. If you constantly are reaching over for some reason...change the layout of your casting area and have left handed tools on the left and right handed tools on the right.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab multiple sprue cuts and place them into the pot...takes a minute longer but it doesn't splash hot lead...after a dozen sprues are in the pot you'll have solid lead on top for the moment, then you can dump or drop all you want in there.

The fluxing spoon spit at you? Moisture, ease the spoon into the melt slowly, then you can stir without sputter.

You like to cast with minimum protective gear?...me too, shorts & short sleeves or a tank top...the secret here is to use extreme caution. Extreme caution becomes 'good habits'...habits you don't have to think about, you just automatically do that.

One of the worst habits I see in this community these days is people that are always in a hurry to get their loading & casting tasks done quickly. Where does it ever say in our manuals that we need to hurry up and get done?

A quote from 'Crossfire Trail', 2001...

Joe Gill: (sees J.T. working on a horse's hoof) "Better slow down there, young fella."

J.T. Langston: "What difference does it make?"

Joe Gill: "Well, see, if you take your time... you get a more harmonious outcome."

mr surveyor
04-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Aloevera - straight from the living plant itself. I learned it from an old man I worked for nearly 50 years ago. He kept a couple of plants at the shop and taught me to use it on burns, cuts and abrasions. I'm a believer.

jd

Burnt Fingers
04-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Believe it or not I'm allergic to one of the ingredients in Neosporin and it's generic creams.

OS OK, I had the mold sitting on the bench cooling. I wear a glove on my right hand to open sprue plate and pick up sprues. I reached over the mold and zap. Yeah, I should know better, I do the same thing every couple of months. I need to move my gear from the garage to the shop. But I need to build benches and frame in an area in the shop first.

lightman
04-02-2019, 09:53 AM
The above posts gives you all the R/X needed for your current burns so I'll give you some R/X for preventing burns in the future...works like a champ.

Burns heal and the pain goes away, however...bad habits in casting does not unless, you change your ways of doing things.
Slow down for the moment...think about what caused the burn. It wasn't the hot mould or the splash of the lead from the pot, it was negligence...failure to abide by some personal set of rules that would prevent these burns in the first place.

Set the mould down if you want to cross arms to pick something up. If you constantly are reaching over for some reason...change the layout of your casting area and have left handed tools on the left and right handed tools on the right.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab multiple sprue cuts and place them into the pot...takes a minute longer but it doesn't splash hot lead...after a dozen sprues are in the pot you'll have solid lead on top for the moment, then you can dump or drop all you want in there.

The fluxing spoon spit at you? Moisture, ease the spoon into the melt slowly, then you can stir without sputter.

You like to cast with minimum protective gear?...me too, shorts & short sleeves or a tank top...the secret here is to use extreme caution. Extreme caution becomes 'good habits'...habits you don't have to think about, you just automatically do that.

One of the worst habits I see in this community these days is people that are always in a hurry to get their loading & casting tasks done quickly. Where does it ever say in our manuals that we need to hurry up and get done?

Joe Gill: (sees J.T. working on a horse's hoof) "Better slow down there, young fella."

Joe Gill: "Well, see, if you take your time... you get a more harmonious outcome."

I briefly touched on this but this advice is worthy of your consideration. I also cast with a minimum of PPE but no shorts, tank tops of flip flops for me. I save those for the pool! My skimming spoon builds up a crust that absorbs moisture so occasionally I'll clean it up with a wire brush. I'll always float it on top of the melt before I submerge it. Knowing these things will make things safer.

Organizing your set up better will not only be safer but will increase your production rate. Thats a Win Win!

Hossfly
04-02-2019, 09:56 AM
I like the Silvadine but don’t have any, so just use cool water and aloe from kitchen window, my wife keeps for all things painful. Burns, wasp stings, etc. real bad 2nd degree gets emergency room visit. Every time I’ve been burned or hurt, was from being impatient or in a hurry.

RED BEAR
04-02-2019, 10:09 AM
As i am a slow learner i have some pretty bad scars from burns. Never did like wearing long pants on my motorcycle and had some bad burns on lower legs well don't have a bike anymore so that is solved. I would go along with welding gloves they are pretty cheap from big hardware store long pants long sleeve shirt and eye protection large safety glasses or better yet face shield i also have a long shop apron i wear. I have a scar that covers most of the back of my hand from some casting that was only going to take a couple of minutes. That one took several months and a couple different antibiotic prescriptions . Wife has an aloe plant thats 4ft tall and just about as wide so i always take a piece when going to cast. Safety is the main thing you can't unburn yourself.

tazman
04-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Lots of good advice has been given.
I use an even simpler method.
For small, less severe burns(either first degree or very small second degree) I cover with a bandaid to keep from irritating it. For a larger burn, I will coat with Vaseline and cover with gauze. For 3rd degree or very large burns, I will see a doctor.
I find that the use of Vaseline speeds the healing process for me dramatically. Without covering the burn, my healing time is usually 2 weeks or so. With the Vaseline and covering, my healing time is often down to 7-10 days.
Much depends on how severe the burn is and what you do for a living. Keeping a larger burn clean can be difficult in certain jobs.
During my years working in a heat treat facility working with large amounts of 1500 degree lead as a heating medium, I got a lot of small burns. I don't think there is a square inch of my forearms that hasn't had a burn on it. Most of the burns we got were small particle burns where a small piece of lead or carbon about the size of a large grain of salt would land on the skin. After a while, you got so you would ignore those.
Since the area was dirty, I had to develop a means to keep the larger burns clean, hence the use of Vaseline and gauze.

OS OK
04-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Another 'preventative R/X' is...

I forgot to mention that the stir spoon can burn you even if it does not 'sputter'...it'll burn the hand that stirs way up there on the handle...

Slip a little rubber tubing like this old extension cord jacket over it and it becomes even easier to handle and it will not burn your stir hand.

https://i.imgur.com/0Fq4XOW.jpg

gwpercle
04-02-2019, 12:10 PM
The absolute best way. Take a aloevera plant leaf , large enough to cover the burn , split the leaf open and press the green inner part of the leaf against the burn , make sure all the burn is covered.
Wrap with gauze to hold the leaf in place . In a few hours , change the dressing to a fresh aloevera leaf...put the split leaf in foil and in refrig. and use it . Keep changing it every few hours , 6 to 8 hrs max or whenever the aloevera starts getting dry .
After 24 to 48 hours the burn will be healed wit NO blister forming.
Keep small pots of aloevera growing on window sills . Cures a lot of things...
Stuff that comes in a bottle isn't any good....you have to use the living plant leaf !
Gary

Texas by God
04-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Silver nitrate works really well and Bag Balm or udder cream it's also pretty good I have a few second and third degree burns so I know what I speak of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Conditor22
04-02-2019, 02:02 PM
I wear Premium Top Grain Kidskin Leather TIG Welding Gloves: with gauntlets on both hands. they are thin/comfortable and don't interfere with my range of motion but are thick enough to protect your hands and wrists.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KG837TM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I don't open my sprues by hand, I made a sprue opening jig
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?379710-Sprue-Plate-opening-jig-prototype

For burns, I have a bottle of pure cold processed Aloe, I slather it over the burn ASAP then cover it with a dressing

Like Bama said, only wear 100% cotton clothing. Synthetics will melt and the lead/melted fabric can get stuck against your skin.

Bama
04-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Listen to what OS OK said. Also blue cotton work shirts are actually cooler than others and works great when casting. Don’t forget to wear a hat— if you have a tinsel fairy visit you will never forget again. Only took one time for me pain threshold gets exceeded quick

rsrocket1
04-02-2019, 02:47 PM
Hate to say it but you need to change your casting habits.
Yes a denim long sleeve shirt, jeans, gloves and a face shield are inconvenient but ugly 3rd degree scars on your face and hands will be more uncomfortable. I've seen little splashes of lead on my $3 HF face shield and am very glad I didn't get those in my eyes or on my neck. If I ever get a visit from the tinsel fairy (no one ever plans for it but you can prepare for it), I would not want a few ounces of lead to splash on my bare arms or bare legs.

I also dislike casting when it gets up to 110F out here in the summer but if I plan to cast on a Saturday and the forecast is bad, I wake up early and set up before sunrise and start casting at first light. I can then be done in a couple of hours before it gets uncomfortably warm.

mattw
04-02-2019, 02:53 PM
I have to say... speed is your enemy when casting! I have been at it for 30 years or so and have only burnt myself 1 time, I was in a hurry and made a mistake.

Someone on the forum, years ago, gave me a pair of kevlar sleeves. They look like long yellow fingerless gloves. When they get splattered they do not melt, burn or even let heat in. I use the one on my left hand to close the sprue plate and never even get warm. I wear welders gloves when adding sprues or bulk alloy just incase something goes wrong.

Walks
04-02-2019, 03:07 PM
I can't remember the last burn I got while casting.

Probably because I was raised casting & loading from about 2-3yrs old.
60yrs ago My DAD and UNCLE would work 8-10Cavity H&G Molds from opposite sides of a 100lb Plumbers Pot. Passing the filled molds back to My Brothers & Cousins & receiving another set of empty molds.

Safety was Number One. Leather Boots, 100% Cotton overalls & long sleeve cotton shirts. 2nd layer was a pair of Shotgun Chaps made from 10oz Leather, a Leather apron and Welding gloves. Safety Glasses & Wool ball caps.

An open 100lb pot of Molten Lead alloy is something to be mighty cautious around. Pouring an open 4lb ladle of lead up into a 10cav mold while holding over that open pot is scary.

I almost never cast over an open pot any more. The exception is filling a 1cav 45 SWC mold to check hardness or the alloy, 6-8 bullets. That uses a 60lb pot over a turkey fryer. That's a heap fun casting ingots, nope.

I use a 10lb RCBS Pot & Lyman ladle to cast pure lead balls for muzzle loading.

I don't use the chaps, but I do use the leather apron and full face shield. With a folded cotton hankie over the top of my BALD head.

For casting from a bottom pour pot (LYMAN or RCBS) I wear the same clothes, except I trade the face shield & hankies for a Ball cap & safety glasses.

And I've been using an "Ove-Glove on my right hand.
I got it from Buffalo Arms, I can hold a 4cav iron mold freshly filled before I have to put it down. It allows me to pick up a penny off the concrete. I can use small hand tools without taking off & putting on a welding glove.

I use a slightly bent Ice-tea spoon to skim off the dross and it goes into the same 1(lb) coffee can, so no danger of moisture there.
I also keep a ingot mold inverted over the top of the bottom pour pot. Keeps anything out of the pot, keeps my thermometer up right. And leaves a small gap to drop sprue into.

gnostic
04-02-2019, 04:29 PM
Ice is the best for burns, put it on immediately and the severity will be diminished, no kidding, by 80%. I've done it many times always with great results. It keeps the blister from forming, but you have to apply it immediately, or I don't know if it will work. Notice in boxing they use 'end swell,' that's frozen piece of metal to keep boxers faces from blowing up. Ice works on all injuries to reduce and prevent swelling, don't ask me how I know...

fredj338
04-02-2019, 04:31 PM
^^100%^^^ Ice any burn as quickly as possible. This helps keep it from continuing thru the skin layers & reduces the damage. After, I just leave mine alone until they dry up. If a large blister raises I do pop it with a needle, but many will advise against this.

Echo
04-02-2019, 06:06 PM
I buy wells-Lamont leather gloves @ Costco, seems like they are about $20 for 3 pair, and will NOT cast without them. in the meantime, Aloe Vera...

klenke.ryan
04-02-2019, 07:24 PM
Best thing I ever did was buy a pair of OVOS Kevlar oven gloves from Amazon and wear both of them while casting. I only get close to burning myself if I take one off and absent-mindedly grab the skimming spoon. They are good enough to touch the mold directly and agile enough to pick up reject bullets or put sprues back in the melt.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

waco
04-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Okay. Your screen name is Burnt Fingers. You're asking about how to avoid being burnt while casting on April 1st...…..well played......

Burnt Fingers
04-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Okay. Your screen name is Burnt Fingers. You're asking about how to avoid being burnt while casting on April 1st...…..well played......

Actually it was a serious question.

Preacher Jim
04-03-2019, 11:37 AM
FROILE use it for all burns learned from welders and scrap cutters in foundry. wonder spray stuff

Mohavedog
04-03-2019, 12:05 PM
When I lived in Az my Mexican friends turned me on to the medicinal qualities of Aloe Vera. I found it to be one of the best healing agents available and it's free. For many yrs I had Aloe plants in my yard and used it often on skin wounds, abrasions and burns. It worked better than most prescription salves. I only used fresh cuttings so can't speak to the commercial salves that contain Aloe. I had a little Jack Russel Terrier that was plagued with severe allergies during spring pollen season. Aloe Vera helped him when everything the vet prescribed did nothing to help. I was even talked into drinking an Aloe "shake" for some internal problem that I don't recall if it worked or not. That was pretty vile tasting so don't want to do that again. Was my leg being pulled about drinking it or has anybody else tried it? I now live where the winters are below freezing will Aloe plants survive cold winters, I doubt it? I really miss having it available.

cwlongshot
04-03-2019, 01:18 PM
I have been a welder for nearly twenty years... You haven't been (really) burnt casting, unless the molten lead falls on skin. ;)

Try welding upside down 20-30' off the ground where you cannot move to avoid a burn. You have to let it hit and roll down/off/away. I have permanent burns on my throat, shoulders, inside elbows and ankles. (Most spots where there is a place to catch molten steel.) All from drops that burned thru clothing and sat on me burning. If you move you screw up the beade...

Vaseline is what I keep in the truck. Glop a lil on and wrap it and back to work.

Poppa always said if your gonna be stupid, ya best be tough. :bigsmyl2:

CW

hc18flyer
04-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Aloe Vera works wonders! Gloves and learn from our mistakes!

gwpercle
04-03-2019, 05:40 PM
When I lived in Az my Mexican friends turned me on to the medicinal qualities of Aloe Vera. I found it to be one of the best healing agents available and it's free. For many yrs I had Aloe plants in my yard and used it often on skin wounds, abrasions and burns. It worked better than most prescription salves. I only used fresh cuttings so can't speak to the commercial salves that contain Aloe. I had a little Jack Russel Terrier that was plagued with severe allergies during spring pollen season. Aloe Vera helped him when everything the vet prescribed did nothing to help. I was even talked into drinking an Aloe "shake" for some internal problem that I don't recall if it worked or not. That was pretty vile tasting so don't want to do that again. Was my leg being pulled about drinking it or has anybody else tried it? I now live where the winters are below freezing will Aloe plants survive cold winters, I doubt it? I really miss having it available.
Listen to what Mohavedog is saying
The living aloe vera is a miracle wonder drug and you can grow it for free !
I have used it on some nasty second degree burns...they didn't blister , healed in 48 hours with no scar.....that's truly amazing ! Used it more than once.
Foot itch , toe fungus, scrapes , abrasions and poison ivy itch. The stuff works.
Grows in South Louisiana like a weed. Anyone who hasn't tried it is missing the boat !
I have swished some of the slimey juice around in my mouth...gum infection...it's sorta gross. But it helped clear up the infection .
I don't think I could/would swallow the slimey stuff...I gonna say keep it on the outside
Gary

bedbugbilly
04-03-2019, 07:39 PM
C O M M O N S E N S E

You're working with molten lead . . . not hot cookies on a cookie sheet.

Gloves that cover the wrists . . . long sleeves . . . long pants and safety glasses . . .

if a kid touches a hot stove just once . . . he or she will learn their lesson . . . .

Accidents happen . . . that's why you take protective measures to prevent injury. Do you pour in shorts and shoes with no socks too? I once made a rescue run on a guy who was pouring aluminum and thought he didn't need gloves or leggings to protect his lower legs with the usual protective leather leggings . . . he had the tinsel fairy visit and as a result, ended up with a big splash of molten aluminum on his ankle and it ran inside the toe - same thing can happen with lead . . . BTW . . . they had to amputate his foot.

Burnt Fingers
04-04-2019, 10:17 AM
I wear socks...most of the time.

Chainsaw.
04-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Tig welding gauntlet gloves. They will cover at least a third of the way up your arm, where most casting burns will occur. They are thin enough you dont lose much dexterity but thick enough to give you time to recognize HOT without burning.

waksupi
04-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Walmart carries gallons of aloe vera juice for around $15/gallon. Good thing to have in the shop.

whisler
04-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Our Walmart only charges around $8/gallon.

gwpercle
04-04-2019, 08:58 PM
C O M M O N S E N S E

You're working with molten lead . . . not hot cookies on a cookie sheet.

Gloves that cover the wrists . . . long sleeves . . . long pants and safety glasses . . .

if a kid touches a hot stove just once . . . he or she will learn their lesson . . . .

Accidents happen . . . that's why you take protective measures to prevent injury. Do you pour in shorts and shoes with no socks too? I once made a rescue run on a guy who was pouring aluminum and thought he didn't need gloves or leggings to protect his lower legs with the usual protective leather leggings . . . he had the tinsel fairy visit and as a result, ended up with a big splash of molten aluminum on his ankle and it ran inside the toe - same thing can happen with lead . . . BTW . . . they had to amputate his foot.
What fun is common sense ?

I take it your not going to compete in this year's " Naked Casting Competition" ....

Budzilla 19
04-05-2019, 07:56 AM
After one explosion, two fires, ( refinery work in the ‘80’s and 90’s was some dangerous work, mix in stupid people and ya got a heck of a way to make a living) I have had enough of fire, I’ll tell ya!!! Put your safety stuff on, it’s pretty simple. And, for all of us older guys, it doesn’t heal up as fast as young guys do!!! Aloe Vera is your friend in burn cases. .................................. gwpercie, .............. naked casting competition? There are some things that never need to be seen. Just sayin’. CW, I have been there, done that!!! Got those nice little souvenirs. Take care and don’t burn yourselves, it’s not any fun.

owejia
04-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Tig welding gauntlet gloves. They will cover at least a third of the way up your arm, where most casting burns will occur. They are thin enough you dont lose much dexterity but thick enough to give you time to recognize HOT without burning.

I always liked the pigskin tig welding gloves as the heat did't make the pigskin hard and stiff as the heat did for the other leather gloves.

Mohavedog
04-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Walmart carries gallons of aloe vera juice for around $15/gallon. Good thing to have in the shop.

Waksupi - Any info on how effective that juice is? My experience was that the fresher the aloe the better it worked. Juice might be worth a try since I don't have any plants now.

MT Gianni
04-07-2019, 11:24 PM
When welding in 100 F temps I still wore leathers and gloves. You go through a lot of fluid but I would never consider casting without long sleeves and gloves. Cast at night or whenever it's cooler but safety should take a priority. You wouldn't stay downrange when your partner shot targets would you?

Taylor
04-08-2019, 09:06 AM
I cuss and throw stuff, jump up and down, shake my hands like it gonna help. Sure don't take long to look at a hot ingot.

waksupi
04-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Waksupi - Any info on how effective that juice is? My experience was that the fresher the aloe the better it worked. Juice might be worth a try since I don't have any plants now.

I've always thought it worked pretty well. It takes the heat out quickly, and promotes healing. If you worry about it not working as well as it ages, just burn yourself more often, to keep a fresh batch on hand!

popper
04-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Ice, real butter, aloe, raw egg. The silver stuff works too - doc gave it to me for an electrical burn on both pointer fingers. Also gave me an EKG.

Burnt Fingers
04-09-2019, 11:59 AM
I asked my VA doc for a prescription for the silver cream. It's on the way.

ewlyon
04-11-2019, 08:59 PM
I wear gloves but otherwise often find myself casting in a wifebeater and shorts with no shoes. I see the occasional burn as something between the cost of doing business and learning a lesson. I've learned a few lessons, like when i forgot that I took my glove off and grabbed my steel handle ladle that had been sitting in the pot for five minutes with my bare hand (my fingerprints came back a few months later). When I do get burnt vaseline is the go to, and of course keeping the burn clean.

Peregrine
04-11-2019, 09:31 PM
The best thing by a huge margin I have ever used is Emu oil, absolutely magical healing properties. Bit of a tricky thing for most to get their hands on though.

sfcairborne
04-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Sounds funny, but cold mustard will draw the heat from a burn.

William Yanda
04-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Keep 'em clean, keep 'em soft. You REALLY don't want one to get infected!

waksupi
04-12-2019, 11:41 AM
The best thing by a huge margin I have ever used is Emu oil, absolutely magical healing properties. Bit of a tricky thing for most to get their hands on though.

Livestock supply stores usually have it.

45-70 Chevroner
04-12-2019, 01:55 PM

You can't get much better advice than this. The only thing I have to say about safety, is always wear gloves and eye protection. I am never to hot to wear blue genes and a long sleeve shirt when casting, and I live in Arizona.

Burnt Fingers
04-12-2019, 06:07 PM
You can't get much better advice than this. The only thing I have to say about safety, is always wear gloves and eye protection. I am never to hot to wear blue genes and a long sleeve shirt when casting, and I live in Arizona.

Different metabolism. If I was wearing blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt in the summer here I'd get heat stroke and dehydrate. On the other hand when it's 40° out I'm very comfortable in shorts and a tee shirt.

scotner
04-13-2019, 03:46 PM
I was a pipefitter in a tire plant for 38 years. Not construction but installation and maintenance of process piping so i was down in the trenches working around some very hot valves and piping. We always kept Foille first aid spray in our toolboxes. If you touched bare skin to one of those lines (200# steam = 388°) you made a beeline to the toolbox and sprayed that on the burn. We found that if applied immediately after being burned that it would usually prevent blistering. if you waited until later to apply it it was less helpful. We discovered this stuff because the company initially stocked it in the first aid kits. Later they removed most of the first aid kits to allow tracking of first aid injuries (OSHA).

https://www.medshopexpress.com/foille-first-aid-spray-3-25-oz

Edit: I just noticed that this shows out of stock and I do not see the spray available any where else. There is a creme version available but I have not personally used that.

Conditor22
04-13-2019, 04:07 PM
A momentary lapse two days ago and I got a glob of molten lead on my left hand. Slathered it with pure processed aloe gel and covered it loosely with a bandaid.
now you can barely see it (in the center of the picture).

https://i.imgur.com/qXLKdH7.jpg