PDA

View Full Version : Recourse Against Ditch Jumpers!

Thundarstick
03-31-2019, 06:11 PM
We have owned a property for going into the 5th year. It is partly bisected by a state highway in a long sweeping curve. The issue is I'm getting sick of filling in ruts, replacing trees, having my garden driven through by people who can't keep it on the road! In fairness the state DOT did come and place more, and better signage, and chevron curve signs at my request last year, and someone plowed through one of those 4 days after it was put up! I arrived home yesterday to a prime three year old plumb tree destroyed, a rutted out yard, and just a mess! This same scenario happens about 3 or 4 times a year!

Had anyone else dealt successfully with something like this? I've been told I'm open to law suit if I put up hardened barriers, what to do? I'm about ready to dig a moat!

Skunk1
03-31-2019, 06:14 PM
Not sure about a lawsuit. Sounds like a good place for concreted railroad ties, steel posts or telephone poles.

NyFirefighter357
03-31-2019, 07:02 PM
Any damage incurred is the responsibility of the driver and/or car insurance company. Catching them is the problem, camera's are an option. Barriers shouldn't be an issue except for there looks. Will the D.O.T. install a guardrail? Here the D.O.T. will charge you for repairing any damage you cause in an accident, guardrail, signs or traffic barriers. Utility company charges for any poles that need to be replaced too.

Beerd
03-31-2019, 07:04 PM
Alcohol could be a contributing factor.
Good luck.

cat-mechanic
03-31-2019, 07:16 PM
I would look to add Jersey Barriers or K rail behind what the state has up. That way if anyone sues for you using hardened barriers, they are what is normally used in freeway construction anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_barrier

country gent
03-31-2019, 07:22 PM
Anything you put will have to be "break away" Like the new regulations on mail box posts. Maybe the route to go would be right of way ( you can interfere with the roads right of way) + 40-50 feet wide stretch of along worked up and softened like the run offs along grades and at ends of runways. Have a farmer sub soil down 18-24" plow disc and finish. lightly plant grass. this will produce way more drag and slow stop vehicles much faster. May also catch them to be billed for damages.

Moleman-
03-31-2019, 07:23 PM
Drop some big bumper high or bigger rocks across the area they're cutting through. RR ties or telephone pole sections with a cable run through it. Stay out of the easement for the road though. Neighbor had the same thing happening and sunk waist high telephone pole sections around the corner. Couple weeks later they found out that it had been his wife's exboyfriend when he wrapped his truck around one of the poles which was well inside their yard.

Bloodman14
03-31-2019, 07:38 PM
My apologies for the hijack, but what's a good solution/deterrent against mailbox bashers? I have had to replace 3 so far, and finally welded a steel guard (1 inch square tube welded to a 5 x 5 inch 1/4" steel plate, power nailed to a concrete-filled steel fencepost) in front of the 'passengers' side of the post.

JBinMN
03-31-2019, 07:38 PM
Sand or gravel mounds as barriers would be my first suggestion for "soft" barriers. Much like the piles of sand/gravel they use on "runaway" truck ramps in the mountains. The vehicles hit the sand/gravel & it slows them down.

Otherwise, and I hate to say it, but sue the State DOT to put in rails along that curve by your property. The primary cause of the damage is the road the way it is with the curves, speed & no barrier, the secondary cause is the drivers & their vehicles.

I could go into it more, but it is the state that owns the road that is the one who needs to address the issue that causes the troubles, more than it is your responsibility to address how to reduce the cause of the damage yourself at "your cost" for "their" negligence to make an effort to make safe driving conditions.

If it were a bridge with too low side rails & a big drop & they kept getting sued by the folks who were injured or died, I'd bet they would do something. In your case it needs to be you to make enough noise about it...
Sometimes being the "squeaky wheel" for an approach is the best one... "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" usually gets enough attention, and then the person who needs to do the lubing to make things stop squeaking(The "State", in your case) gets to work to stop hearing the squeaks & fixes the issues..
;)

G'Luck!

jsizemore
03-31-2019, 07:59 PM
My apologies for the hijack, but what's a good solution/deterrent against mailbox bashers? I have had to replace 3 so far, and finally welded a steel guard (1 inch square tube welded to a 5 x 5 inch 1/4" steel plate, power nailed to a concrete-filled steel fencepost) in front of the 'passengers' side of the post.

A non yielding obstacle in the right of way can get you sued and lose everything you got. It's also called premeditation.

NyFirefighter357
03-31-2019, 08:05 PM

That doesn't happen here any more been 30 years since I've seen a mailbox bashed in from a bat. Guy along the reservoir (dirt road not well traveled) was a prime target. He welded up a piece of well casing to a steel post and 240lb of concrete, found several broken bats but that stopped fast. lol

https://youtu.be/qoA5zrW1WNQ

A company used to make steel welded vandalism proof mailboxes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Steel-Welded-Locking-Mailbox-Brings-Peace-of-Mind-Pry-bar-and-bat-proof-/322296631975

This company makes a barrier to install next to your mailbox to protect it.

https://postalwedge.com/

https://youtu.be/9xSEufJTYwI

WILCO
03-31-2019, 08:05 PM
Sell off the property or accept the situation. Only two options that will work.

BigAlofPa.
03-31-2019, 08:07 PM
Put some R/R spikes on the ground around there where you know where they are. Enough careless drivers get flats that can't be plugged. They will spread the word. To be careful going around your curve.

NWPilgrim
03-31-2019, 08:09 PM
You can’t put up obvious obstructions that can lead to fatal crash on sure you would not want anyone killed over vandalism. Make sure whatever you put in is in your property in not the undeveloped road right of way.

I would put in a gardening area with various “features.” Sand trap like in a golf course, small boulders just below bumper height, many corporate campuses around here encircle their grounds with a 10 ft high earth berm covered in lawn and shrubs. Or put in a pond/marsh right where the tracks occur. Then make arrangements with a tow truck company at the far side of the county to tow away any stuck vehicles and have them post one of their tow-away zone signs.

The idea is to use simple, cheap landscape features to trap and disable the errant vehicles and then have them towed 50 miles away for a $200 recovery fee the owner pays to get his car back.

Mytmousemalibu
03-31-2019, 08:11 PM
Guy here in Wichita that lives directly on a Tee intersection of a one way street. He delt with numerous times of drunks or inattentive people blowing through the intersection, through his lawn and into his livingroom. He eventually built a brick wall in the yard surrounded with shrubs to mask the eyesore. He hasn't had to renovate his livingroom in a long time only because of the wall.

reddog81
03-31-2019, 08:25 PM
Above ground garden made of 6”x6” landscaping timbers.
A couple good sized rocks or small boulders.
Large flower pots half filled with concrete.
Good luck finding something that works.

Cast_outlaw
03-31-2019, 08:38 PM
Pea gravel or drain rock 12” to 16” deep will stop and strand most vehicles in it giving you opportunity to identify the individuals doing this with little rest of harm to the persons involved be costly but would work as round gravel dose not pack

bmortell
03-31-2019, 08:46 PM
my driveway has a T shape to it so people can back in to switch directions, pullout instead of back out, but people always went in the grass so we put 100 pound rocks every 5 feet on the edge and people got better at driving.

MaryB
03-31-2019, 08:53 PM
Drive some deep fence posts(smaller to break off as needed) and string chain link fence between them. It will wrap in the suspension and shred it

lead-1
03-31-2019, 10:44 PM
An old school teacher here had trouble with kids driving thru his yard all the time so he made homemade rocks in about two foot around balls with sakrete and planted railroad spikes point out in them. The problem stopped with the first car that tried them out but the county sheriff told him to get rid of them or he could be arrested and sued if they were hit by accident and hurt got someone.

Mag357
03-31-2019, 10:55 PM
What would solve all these problems is common sense and respect for others!

Winger Ed.
03-31-2019, 10:56 PM
Pitch a fit with the state or county to put up a guardrail,
or you could put up some sort of wire fence that will entangle and trap a car when it comes through it.

bmortell
03-31-2019, 11:23 PM
now I'm picturing someone's yard looking like Omaha beach with Czech hedgehog's and barbwire lol

kenton
03-31-2019, 11:30 PM

A guy I knew put a piece of 6"x6" by .25 thick square tubing in his mail box and bolted it to the base. He said he found the mailbox scuffed but that soon stopped.

Growing up I lived on a corner lot and we had trouble with people cutting the corner and rutting the yard. My dad lined the corner with 2ft dia decorative rocks and the problem eventually went away.

472x1B/A
04-01-2019, 12:00 AM
Sorry to hear of your grief. But what ever your outcome it will in one way or another cost you money. First and for most, lots and lots of pictures, maybe consider a lawyer to be on the safe side. People are real funny now a days, as in sue happy for the slightest things. I do hope your problem is taken care of soon.

garandsrus
04-01-2019, 12:22 AM
Plant some trees relatively close together. The bigger they are to start, the better. The barrier gets bigger/better every year, looks good, and is pretty cheap.

Oily
04-01-2019, 12:35 AM
Don't know your state laws but in most states you can not put up a barrier that will cause bodily harm intentionaly. This sucks as you are having multiple occurrences at your location. Have you reported all of these occurences? Report every one and get a track record of the offences. You have legal rights here. You may be able to sue the city/ township you live in if you have had enough reports of damage.You usually have to have at least 4 or 5 reported incidents to get any leverage or right to sue. Report EVERY ONE no matter how slight from now on to the Police. To repeat REPORT EVERY ONE TO THE POLICE you must have a record of damage to your property to get any recourse DOO

bullseye67
04-01-2019, 12:36 AM
Good evening,
We had a similar problem at our family farm. People would drive in our old drive way completely ignoring the trespassing signs. We had several sections of diamond harrows with worn out teeth that we used to drag around and level the yard and lane ways. My Dad just flipped them over and left them across the old driveway. He told all our neighbors not to use that driveway. Sure enough a couple of “wasters” what we called guys that were up to no good, ran over the harrows and flattened their tires. They were plenty mad....but with 4’x8’ no trespassing signs up, the police didn’t say much but charged them and then had a tow company haul their truck away. Didn’t have a problem again.
The best part of disabling their vehicle it gives the police something to actually use to prove who it was. No tow company would dare tow a vehicle off of private land without the police involved. Here the tow company would be responsible for any damages and would get charged with trespassing. Could be different where you are??

WheelgunConvert
04-01-2019, 03:32 AM
Buy a cheap camper or mobile home and position it as a residence in the runoff zone. A vehicle encounter with a dwelling that may be occupied will get appropriate attention.

Mr_Sheesh
04-01-2019, 04:36 AM
If a car goes off road and into a large raspberry or blackberry thicket, it isn't going to drive out of there easily, any time soon. People in it will have "a time" getting out, even... I've seen some times this happened and it took the tow rig "some time" to get them out of there!

Petrol & Powder
04-01-2019, 06:23 AM
You can fill the ruts created by a vehicle that left the road or you can fill the ruts AND pick up all of the tiny pieces of the car after it impacted a barrier. I'd rather just fill the ruts.

Plate plinker
04-01-2019, 06:30 AM
Pester the state first that may be the cheapest way forward then build a dirt mound with the briars all over it.

rancher1913
04-01-2019, 06:34 AM
we had a guy in my old town that had about the same situation, he started suing everyone that wrecked in his yard, problem never really stopped but he made enough money that he no longer gave a dang about his yard.

rl69
04-01-2019, 06:48 AM
Keep in mind Any thing you put up you are going to have to fix. It's your yard I would think you could build any thing you wanted on it ( within reason ) but check your local laws to be safe.

RED BEAR
04-01-2019, 08:49 AM
Had a buddy who's dad got tired of replacing mail box's from people hitting them with ball bat . So had his mail sent to po box set a 3 inch steel pipe in concrete and mounted mail box filled with concrete. Bought a week later sure enough kid smacked the mail box and broke his arms you guessed it got sued to poor house.

Mr_Sheesh
04-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Mail boxes are federal property, someone trying to damage one who was injured and then sues you has just confessed to a federal crime, seems to me? I'd pass that on to the feds if that happened.

Smoke4320
04-01-2019, 10:10 AM
Big and deep sand trap. Car goes will not come out without a wrecker.

KCSO
04-01-2019, 10:35 AM
We fought this for years at my Father in Laws farm. Same story, sharp curve. They mowed down a whole mess of fruit trees one night and it took 5 years to regrow them. We had to take the trespassers to small claims court as they had no insurance. Finaly after 20 years they closed off the curve and made a t with stop signs.

Spikes rocks ect that can be proven a danger leave YOU open to law suit.

JSnover
04-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Buy a cheap camper or mobile home and position it as a residence in the runoff zone. A vehicle encounter with a dwelling that may be occupied will get appropriate attention.

Seems like any disposable vehicle parked near enough to the point where they lose control would be a deterrent/barrier.

Lead pot
04-01-2019, 10:56 AM
We had a neighbor that had this problem. What he did was rented a back hoe and dug a 3' wide by 3' deep ditch and filled it with pea gravel and plated petunias in flower pots flush with the gravel. It ended the problem and it looked nice :D

It ended up being a guy he called the Sheriff on because he was fishing in a crick on his land.

anothernewb
04-01-2019, 11:17 AM
regarding barriers and the comments. The state here puts up this cable fence between the opposing lanes of the interstate to stop vehicles from crossing the median into oncoming traffic. They seem specifically designed to destroy the vehicle. They aren't a soft barrier by any means, they don't redirect force, or even redirect the vehicle. they disable it. The entire thing is designed to stop the vehicle from crossing over. and it works rather well - spectacularly well in some cases I've seen. It's supposed to be a form of soft barrier - but I've seen cars strike it at very shallow angles and they simply disintegrate. I suppose it's soft in terms of transferring energy to the occupants, but it's sure hard on the cars! there's no glancing off these things and coming away missing paint. if you come into contact. kiss your vehicle goodbye. It's somewhat of a visual deterrent as well. If you installed a barrier to those same specs. there is no logical, and I would think legal way anyone - state or otherwise - could find fault with it.

bedbugbilly
04-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Should be covered by the driver's insurance - property damage. We put up with this for years - still do . . . car leaves the road and goes through a fence - sometimes crop damage. If a police report was done on the incident, get a copy and go after the driver/car owner. That is . . . if the LE agency does their job. They should be notifying the property owner about the incident as well.

The last one I had, a kid . . . broken home . . . used his mother's car and ended up going off the road (dirt country road) and through a woven wire fence - took about four rods out. I discovered it and went right to the township P.D. . . asked about the incident . . . they admitted taking a report on it and whenI asked why I hadn[t been notified about the property damage . . . I got a real lame excuse that they said they didn't know who owned the property . . . really? The farm has been in the family since 1930 and if they didn't know all they had to do was look it up at the township hall where their office is. The chief at that was a real duffs . . . later got prosecuted for having sex in his office with the secretary. Anyway . . . I then asked him who was going to pay for my cattle which got out and just got hit by a car? (Wasn't running cattle at the time but asked it anyway) and he turned white . . . he knew they had sluffed off on the job. I then told him that if any property damage occurred in the future and I was not notified and there were injuries to livestock or livestock not secured, I would own him and the township . . . and I meant it. I contacted the Dad of the kid - the car was in his name - and he got really irate with me when I told him he was responsible for paying for the damage. I had my hired man fix it . . . had to splice in four rods of new fence, new barb . . . about a half dozen new steel fence posts and pull the fence from he posts, restretch the length of it and reattach to posts. I gave him a bill for $200 and he called me everything in the book . . . said I was "taking advantage". Really? I then presented him with two options . . he could either pay the $200 (which I explained was actually a "break" I was giving him) . . . or I would have my man remove our repairs and contact a professional fence building company to come out and fix it and he could pay them. . . . which would have been much much more. I then explained to him that I did not ask his kid to take his car and drive it through my fence and cause the damage and he had better get his priorities right and use the incident to teach his kid some responsibility and make him pay him back for what he had to pay for repairs. "Accidents" are "accidents" and they happen . .. I told him his kid could have been seriously hurt . . . but some folks seem to think they have no "responsibility for their actions".

When these incidents happen . . . push it to the fullest with the PD and get accident reports and go after those responsible . . . and it seems to me that with reoccurring property damage, the DOT has a responsibility as well to put up a barrier . . . . after all . . . suppose your house sat where the cars usually leave the road?

Before putting up your own barriers . . . get some GOOD legal advice . . . the last thing you want is to be sued by someone who gets' injured . . . again . . . it should go back on the DOT to do what is necessary to keep the traffic on the road . . . not on your property.

JBinMN
04-01-2019, 12:56 PM
Look at it this way... The post before mine here by BBBilly made a good point.

If you run cattle, horses, hogs or other farm critters, you are required to fence in the area to keep the critters from straying into others property, including the township/county/parish/state, etc..

Well, it seems to me that those entities have the same requirements about not letting traffic "stray" into your yard, or on your property since they are responsible for making sure folks have a D. Lic., and maintaining the roadways, as well as "Public Safety", which is what YOU & everyone else pay TAXES for them to do & do properly..

It probably would not hurt to make it well known you do not want anyone but those authorized on your property to establish that people are trespassing when on it. Signs like those, "No Trespassing Without Permission" signs. I am guessing but Trespassing & Property damage will help you in the future if you end up in court for someone "straying" on to your property.

Something else to consider/remember... and once again, "G'Luck! in whatever ya choose to do about the issue.
;)

WebMonkey
04-01-2019, 01:24 PM
Here in Missouri, it's pretty simple. The right of way is defined and I can't 'plant' any thing inside it. Past that, I can drop dragon teeth or surplus phone poles and be fine.

Perhaps not sharpened t-posts pointing toward the road, but you get the idea.
;)

blackthorn
04-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Barrier? What barrier? Those rocks are not a Barrier, their landscaping!

MT Gianni
04-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Barrier? What barrier? Those rocks are not a Barrier, their landscaping!

Yes but in the US he needs to prove that to a jury of the defendants peers.

Conditor22
04-01-2019, 02:10 PM
My first thought was a decorative waterfall landscape made with large boulders.
Then the drainage ditch (pile the removed dirt on your side of the ditch), on your property with blackberry planted on both sides.

PBlover429
04-01-2019, 04:28 PM
It's easy but expensive. Inside your property boundary, sink drill casing posts every 6', 6' in the ground, with 5' exposed. Weld 5 eye bolts 8" apart from the top to the ground. Run barbed wire through the eyebolts "floating". Tack weld it to the eyebolts at every 5th post. When a car hits the wire, it will not break, but wrap about the car, preventing escape. All you are doing is securing your property against free range stock. If some fool hits it, you cannot be held accountable.

dverna
04-01-2019, 05:33 PM
I would not want to harm anyone for ethical and legal reasons.

I like the soft squishy bed made with round non packing gravel ideas that "trap" the vehicle the best. Start at the property line and make it 10-12 feet wide.

Add some solar lights as I assume these accidents happen mostly at night.

Certainly sue violators for damages and repeat violators should be addressed by law enforcement.

Gavetta
04-01-2019, 06:27 PM
agree,fellow goes off the road and is killed by your barrier,and you know that for some reason is common may get you charged with manslaughter.

Duckiller
04-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Why hasen't DOT/ County Road Dept put up guard rail? Go listen to their sob story and push hard for them, to do their job and keep drivers/drunks out of your property. Next go to a lawyer that specializes in property law. Discuss problem and determione what and where you can install protective devices. You will probably have to hire a Licensed Surveyor to determine the edge of the road right of way. Even though you may be the underlying fee DON'T put anything in the road right of way. You may want to consider suing the State/County for letting drivers onto your property. Initial consultation with an attorney should be reasonable . Then you candecide what you want to do. Good Luck!

bob208
04-01-2019, 06:47 PM
check with your state. some seam to think you can not protect your property others are wide open. around here jersey wall seams to work good with no repercussions to the land owner. just if you go to your state get it writing.

slim1836
04-01-2019, 07:11 PM
1. Enquire what the DESIGN speed of the roadway originally was compared to what the actual speed limit now is. If you can show there is a significant difference between the two you can have a leg to stand on in requesting guardrail being installed. I have seen several roads whose original design speeds were 40 MPH but the posted limits were 60 MPH.
2. Check the front slope of the bar ditch, if it is greater than 3 to 1 guardrail is required on state roadways in TX and may also be where you live.
3. Check with the police for incidents occurring at your location, that may add fuel to your fire in requesting help. I hate to say this, but many times 3 or more fatalities must occur before anything is done.
4. Check with your lawyer as to what you can do "on your private property" to protect you and your investments.
5. Get cameras set up to record any incidents for your records and use them to recoup damages as well as establish a history. If damage occurs, request a police report, get an estimate for damages no matter how small, and file on their insurance company.

Just my 2 cents. End of rant.

Slim

Bmi48219
04-01-2019, 11:41 PM
In the 90's we lived on a gravel road, 5 acres, 440 frontage, no ditch on our side of road. Twice a month some joker would 4 wheel across half our front lawn. They were careful to avoid the bushel size rocks on either side of our driveway. The county sheriff's said to call the state police, the state police couldn't do anything without proof. In the end, one Saturday I ran 2 inch drywall screws on 3 inch centers through three pieces of scrap 3/4 inch, 2 foot by 8 foot plywood, painted the wood green and strewed a bunch of oak leaves over the sheets to match the surrounding area. Lo and behold, next morning, a quarter mile down the road, there was an old beat up jeep with 2 flat tires on the side of the road. The subsequently noticed, smashed windshield and broken head and tail lamps were never fully explained.
I salvaged the drywall screws that afternoon and threw the plywood in the barn. I wouldn't go that route again or suggest it to anyone in a similar situation.
Could have caused a serious accident or worse.
A buddy tried it a few years later. He was building a home and neer-do-wells were stealing his building materials at night. One night he set out a couple sheets of screwed plywood in the gravel driveway. Middle of the night his neighbor saw lights in his drive & called the state police, who came out to investigate and got 3 flat tires in his driveway. He wound up paying for a set of tires,plus $1,00.00 fine and court costs.

Thundarstick
04-02-2019, 06:34 AM
Well, some of y'all have some interesting plans. Some are just plane mean, and some very expensive, and some dangerous. This isn't a vandalism situation, is a situation of drivers either going too fast, being intoxicated, or just plane distracted and running off the road. Unfortunately I have property on both sides that's damaged when they do. To the Tennessee DOT's credit they have put up new signage, moved others, and repaired destroyed ones. There are speed limit sings on either end listing 45 mph, but I'm sure many take the corner at above 60 mph every day. I guess I'll just keep one filling in ruts for now, but it sure breaks my heart when they destroy expensive fruit trees. How fast do Osage Orange grow? I'm about ready to grow a hedge along the whole road, I can get all those I want for free! Thanks for letting me vent, and some vey graphic solutions.

3006guns
04-02-2019, 07:52 AM

My old mailbox, mounted on the usual 4 x 4, had been knocked down or damaged several times.......by the mail carrier! I finally dug a 3 foot deep hole, inserted a 4' tall section of 3" steel pipe in concrete. A 1/4" steel plate was welded to the top and one of my junk antique stationary engines bolted to it with the mailbox between the flywheels. The whole thing probably weighs 500 lbs. and hasn't been touched since. The damage to the vehicle would be severe.............

Idaho45guy
04-02-2019, 07:55 AM
Move where there's less stupid people...

There's a section of US 95 near here in Idaho where there is a sharp curve, steep hill, and a propensity for frost.

There is also a nice little home and rural property near the apex of the curve. House looks nice, because it kept getting rebuilt every couple of years due to vehicles hitting it.

State has tried for 20 years to re-route and widen the highway due to how dangerous that section is, but the rich liberal homeowners near the new highway route sued on behalf of a rare earthworm in the area.

Seriously.

The state ended up installing a bunch of solid concrete blocks all along the corner and I don't recall the last time the house was hit.

bob208
04-02-2019, 10:16 AM
move to where there are less stupid people. imposable we have a large pot hole in front of our house. some have learned to slow down. others seam to speed up. I have asked the township to not repair it and in fact make it deeper. the speeding on our road is a real problem almost got run down at the mail box. two almost hit the tractor.

Thundarstick
04-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Is there a place where it's proven there are a low number of stupid or non-impaired drivers?

JBinMN
04-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Is there a place where it's proven there are a low number of stupid or non-impaired drivers?

Amish, or Mennonite country?
;)

Maybe the Bonneville Salt Flats?
;)

Death Valley?

Just guessin'
LOL
;)

shdwlkr
04-02-2019, 11:35 AM
JbinMN
here in idaho we have open range laws if you hit a cow you are going to pay for that animal and you also might get a ticket from the police for not having your vehicle under control.

shdwlkr
04-02-2019, 11:37 AM
thunderstick
Best thing for you to do is go and spend some money and talk to a lawyer that deals with trespass issues like you are dealing with and do what the lawyer tells you and make sure you keep them in your phone book when things happen.

JBinMN
04-02-2019, 12:30 PM
JbinMN
here in idaho we have open range laws if you hit a cow you are going to pay for that animal and you also might get a ticket from the police for not having your vehicle under control.

Thanks for the info. Did not know that. Like I mentioned, around here(MN) anyway, folks have to keep their animals penned/fenced, as they are the ones liable for issues. Or, I might say, "Under Control of the Owner", in the case of dogs & other pets. That Under the Control ordinance/law is usually in a town or city. Most folks rural let their dogs run, but try to keep them on their property(ies) when loose. (Even hunters are expected to maintain some control over their dogs by voice/whistle or leash when out, with the possible exception of coon hunters dogs when hunting and have permission to cross property lines, of course.)

Anyway, Thanks! again for filling me in.
:)

higgins
04-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Our property is on a curve in a busy county road. In the last 5.5 years I've had two people run off the road and take down the fence. Fortunately both of them had car insurance that paid for fence repair by a professional fencer. One drawback to signage is that people like to shoot at it, and chevron or curve signage would line up perfectly with our house, so I'm in no hurry to get signage installed. There have been many wrecks on the curve over the years. Just last week I found another plastic auto part when I mowed for the first time this season. It's like auto wreck archaeology; after a big rain another piece of bodywork, broken light lens, etc. washes out of the ditch.

I have no solution to ditch jumpers unless it would be a camera to identify who they are. The last thing I would do is place something to intentionally harm someone. Even if I have to pay for fencing (a lot of people around here don't have auto insurance), it's cheaper than defending yourself in a bodily injury lawsuit.

MaryB
04-02-2019, 06:19 PM
To bad mesquite won't grow there... small mesquite bushes would puncture tires with the spines LOL

Big Tom
04-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Hmm - and with that, people think building a wall is a bad idea? :-) :-)

Guy here in Wichita that lives directly on a Tee intersection of a one way street. He delt with numerous times of drunks or inattentive people blowing through the intersection, through his lawn and into his livingroom. He eventually built a brick wall in the yard surrounded with shrubs to mask the eyesore. He hasn't had to renovate his livingroom in a long time only because of the wall.

edp2k
04-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Cut down some scrub/junk trees 8" to 12" diameter, cut the branches off flush with the trunk, and drag into place along your property line
just on your side of the right of way. Cheap and easy.

That will slow them down and stop them a few feet after encountering it.

Bloodman14
04-03-2019, 01:55 AM
A non yielding obstacle in the right of way can get you sued and lose everything you got. It's also called premeditation.

I did think of that, so I painted the gaurs bright yellow, so they would see it was indeed a guard. I may put some reflective red-and-white stickers on it, as well.

ulav8r
04-03-2019, 02:27 AM
Would take a little space and time, but a hedge of multiflora rose about 5 feet wide would be nearly inpenetrable by anything smaller that a dump truck, especially it the soil underneath is very soft. If someone got their vehicle stuck in it and managed to get out of the vehicle, there would be lots of dna left for sampling. Multiflora makes blackberry brambles look like a golf course green.

gwpercle
04-03-2019, 03:07 PM
8 inch x 8 inch x 16 inch concrete block wall , 6' -0" tall . Fill each cavity with 1-#5 vertical rebar and structural concrete fill full height of wall . Horizontal reinforcing to be 5/16" dia. steel truss type
Dur-O-Wall reinforcing every other course . Set wall on a continuous concrete footing 36 inches wide x 24 inches deep into natural grade . Reinforced with 4 - #5 continuous rebars and a hooked vertical rebars cast into footing at 8 " on center with a min. of 20 diameter rebar splice. Tie each vertical rebar to footing rebars .

No law against a "fence" around your house .

That will stop the wayward vehicles !

shdwlkr
04-03-2019, 04:29 PM
gwpercle
the problem with your solution depending on the state you live in that can be considered a dfo( dealy fixed object) and you would be liable for all accidents that occured while it was up, the court costs, medical costs and the cost for the Highway department to come and remove it. I know decades ago I was on a contract that is just what we did and it was not cheap for the owner to have us come and do it either. IF memory serves I think it was like $10,000 for a short object and could go as high as $50,000 for a large one plus all the other costs. We were notified where to go by the police and court cases. If we had a highway project going past a dfo it was taken down at no expense to the owner as we were doing work there and most of the time it had to go so we could do our improvements anyway.

Handloader109
04-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Don't know how property lays, but a big ditch would slow them down, with some large poles for fence posts. Or railroad ties. Or even just a nice flower bed from said rr ties. But I do like trying to get highway dept to put up rail..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

oneofsix
04-04-2019, 08:50 AM
We live at a t-intersection in a rural area. It's only moderately traveled because it's perceived as a short cut to a chicken plant down the road a bit.
Twice in 6 months, we had fence crashers in the middle of the night. Because we let our dogs roam freely inside of the fence it was imperative that I fixed it before wake-up time.
My solution was buying a roll of the reflective tape used on semi trailers, some 2.5 inch PVC pipe split into thirds and cut about 3ft long. Drilled small holes in the pipes and wired them to the fence. Then I took the remaining pipe and cut some rings that I fixed the tape to and placed on the top of the T-posts as a bit of added "see me!".
Don't imagine it's the sole reason but thank the Lord we haven't had any recent hits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

gwpercle
04-04-2019, 07:08 PM
No dfo laws in Louisiana that prevent you from constucting a cmu fence on your property.
I'm an architect and work for an engineering company (45 years experience) and am familiar with the building codes and ordinances of this state .
Around here you are not required to protect the idiot drivers who can't stay on the road right of way . They want to drive off road ....that's their business and their responsibility .

starmac
04-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Every body needs a little firewood, have a load or 2 of logs delivered and strategically placed, cut it up over the next few years. problem solved.

fatnhappy
04-05-2019, 12:44 PM
What would solve all these problems is common sense and respect for others!

You have more chance of winning the lotto, twice, while living on Mars, with your supermodel wife, and her supermodel girlfriend.

But you are correct.

gwpercle
04-05-2019, 04:08 PM
You have more chance of winning the lotto, twice, while living on Mars, with your supermodel wife, and her supermodel girlfriend.

But you are correct.

Hitting LIKE Button...!

Mytmousemalibu
04-07-2019, 12:50 AM
Hmm - and with that, people think building a wall is a bad idea? :-) :-)

Yeah! Who'da thunk it! Keep people from illegally entering your yard/house!

The laws are pretty stupid on this stuff. As long as it doesn't appear to be a barrier designed to maime or kill people, just to deflect idiots, it should be allowed. I mean if some brain dead moron can run his car into a bridge abutment, railings, etc, then it SHOULD be legal to replicate these things to protect you and yours.

Big Tom
04-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Was more meant as a comment in regards to our POTUS ;-)

Yeah! Who'da thunk it! Keep people from illegally entering your yard/house!

The laws are pretty stupid on this stuff. As long as it doesn't appear to be a barrier designed to maime or kill people, just to deflect idiots, it should be allowed. I mean if some brain dead moron can run his car into a bridge abutment, railings, etc, then it SHOULD be legal to replicate these things to protect you and yours.

Blammer
04-17-2019, 10:34 PM
Get some really nice looking boulders placed in your yard for 'decoration'.

Lots of people around here do that. They like them decorative boulders for some reason.