PDA

View Full Version : H4198 density caution

PAndy
03-31-2019, 11:16 AM
For anyone who may be loading 4198 by volume: my current batches of H4198 are much denser than the charts. It is 'supposed to be' a little over 13 grains per cc. But mine is measuring 14.35 gr per CC

my IMR4198 is at 13.05 gr per cc which is not too far off the dipper charts, etc.

I immediately wondered about folks who load this stuff with dippers for the .45/70. Double check with the scale! This could be four+ grains of powder in a big case, when comparing to the Lee dipper chart.

NSB
03-31-2019, 11:58 AM
I load ALL my 45-70 ammo with dippers. I use a dipper and dump the powder into the scale pan and use a trickler to bring it up to the "zero". I don't know anyone who loads without a scale. Even from the same can of powder, dippers are very unreliable when it comes to consistency. That's easy enough to prove (and I've done it many times) simply by using a dipper and weighing ten charges in a row. You'll get ten different readings. If you're using a charge that's so light it couldn't matter then there's no danger. If you're concerned about a couple grains or more of variation, use a scale and trickler. It adds nothing to the time to load and gives very, very consistent loads.

44Blam
03-31-2019, 11:58 PM
I use dippers... To drop it on a scale. When I know a powder, I can drop perfect charges on the scale about 1 out of 10 drops. Otherwise, I have to trickle or remove some powder.
Man, if you are loading stout 45-70 rounds, 4 grain + on 4198 will probably knock yer fillings out!

Taterhead
04-01-2019, 12:12 AM
I noticed a sizable difference in density between DuPont 4198 and IMR 4198 (US mfg vs Canadian mfg).

Yooper003
04-01-2019, 09:57 AM
About the only powder I would load 45/70 without weighting,would be trailboss. I have tried o out every way to fill dippers & still get couple grains off when weighted. Black powder is most always used by volume also. I know this is a little off from what you are saying about 4198 & I am agreeing that a good scale is essential.

PAndy
04-02-2019, 12:04 AM
I agree with the comments. I certainly use the scale to check, that's how I found the difference. I just mentioned 45/70 as an example. Thanks. For my purposes, I like the bulkier imr version better. But I shot some of both last year. Sometimes the guns just like what they like.

243winxb
04-02-2019, 12:45 AM
By volume,IMR4198, there can be as much as 1.1 gr difference in weight. 18.5 gr vs 19.6 gr. with the measure at the same setting. This was older Canada vs Australia.

I tested another powder by volume. The new powders has been heavier.

Could powder "dry out" after the cans been open a while?

Rustynails
04-04-2019, 06:01 PM
I find myself using a scale more often than I think necessary. I think it is because I'm new to reloading and am not experienced enough to trust the equipment. I only check every so many rounds now on the progressive press. I'm loading light too, so there isn't any concern for going over max....but I still check.

Poygan
04-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Rustynails: I have been reloading for over 50 years and still check by scale every ten rounds. I'm not loading large quantities but I believe establishing and consistently using good reloading procedures will keep you out of trouble. Keep it up!

pworley1
04-04-2019, 08:17 PM
I look at my loading this way. Why have a good scale and not use it.

Hick
04-04-2019, 10:59 PM
This is good advice for anyone who uses dippers. At the very least, check the dipper with your scale for the first dip. Once you are sure that batch of powder is giving you the expected load with the dipper, you're good to go.