PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a rifle over a door.

Bazoo
03-30-2019, 09:59 PM
I am thinking of putting a single rack over the front door. Seen it in movies and old pictures but never done it. Would the jarring of going in and out and slamming the door cause any eventual problems?

Rex
03-30-2019, 10:04 PM
I would really doubt it.

T_McD
03-30-2019, 10:15 PM
Nope, should be fine. The only consideration I can think of is having a weapon accessible to anyone who can reach it.

Markopolo
03-30-2019, 10:29 PM
I have one over the door.. and my rack is 2 screws.. so anybody that can reach it can use it... lol.. I also keep some other tools handy, where folks can get to them.. screw guns, and wrenches are placed where folks can get them as well. Prolly an Alaskan thing.

country gent
03-30-2019, 11:03 PM
A single gun rack should have "hooks" deep enough to hold securely. Other than increased chances of moisture exposure I see no real problems

Bazoo
03-30-2019, 11:43 PM
I always keep a rifle loaded on my single rack for critters in the off season and deer during that season. I'll be the only one that can reach it over the door, wife's too short.

Where I normally keep it will be too low when we have have a toddler. I don't keep any of my other guns loaded except my carry gun. Be a lot handier over the door anyways as the other spot is across the room.

Winger Ed.
03-31-2019, 12:09 AM
I've done it with a pair of 1" wide strips of sheet metal bent like a truck gun rack, with one screw at the top of each strip.

It did fine. The bent strip was strong enough to keep it- a shotgun, from falling out,
but thin enough that I could pull it straight down if needed.

FLINTNFIRE
03-31-2019, 02:47 AM
I used coat hangars(hooks) and mounted the black powder rifles in my downstairs bedroom/living room one over the door is fine mount them up , mounted pellet pistols on wall in shop used bad brass with a hole drilled through and screw through that

cwlongshot
03-31-2019, 05:24 AM
Not much difference than mine thats behind the door. Ceptin maybe easier access..

If its safe fore your house its a good idea thats why we know about it!! Its 100% utibity!

CW

GhostHawk
03-31-2019, 06:00 AM
I don't keep a gun above my door.

I do have a Budk 15$ stun gun in a "Holster" made from a plastic jug mounted on the side of the door. It is the kind that has a hidden 110 v plug in for recharging, no batterys. I test it once or twice a year.

It also has one of those small headphone jacks attached to a lanyard. Jerk the lanyard out and it no longer works. So it is a little harder for someone to take it away from me.

Two steps from there is the knife block in the kitchen. If I should have to retreat from there a few more steps back is the living room and a whole passel of options. From Pistols to Pistol Caliber Carbines or a lever action dirty 30.

I like the stun gun. It is a less than lethal option. Just popping it makes most people back up and rethink. If more is needed, well just leave it there and go for more.

Any shotgun would be a good choice over the door I think. Something about those big bores just intimidates people with evil on their mind.

waksupi
03-31-2019, 12:00 PM
I've had one over my door for over 30 years. No problem, and handy when needed.

Funny local story. An older couple that live up on the North Fork of the Flathead had a grizzly bear decide to come in the kitchen door one evening. Harry grabbed the rifle, and attempted to shoot the bear. What he didn't know, his wife had unloaded the rifle because the grand kids had been visiting, and she was afraid they many get it down and get in trouble.
He was hollering for cartridges, and she was coming down the stairs with a handful. He got a couple shoved in the rifle and killed the griz in the living room. The gun was always loaded after that!

Tom W.
03-31-2019, 01:46 PM
I don't keep a gun above my door.

I do have a Budk 15$ stun gun in a "Holster" made from a plastic jug mounted on the side of the door. It is the kind that has a hidden 110 v plug in for recharging, no batterys. I test it once or twice a year.

Do you test it on your BIL, or the neighbor's dog? :kidding:

country gent
03-31-2019, 01:51 PM
Kirby salesman Those guys are annoying and deserve to be test platforms

Hannibal
03-31-2019, 02:10 PM
Kirby salesman Those guys are annoying and deserve to be test platforms

I thought door to door salesmen were a relic of the previous century.

JBinMN
03-31-2019, 02:24 PM
While I find it interesting to read this topics posts, personally I do not feel it is necessary for other folks to know what I may or may not have is store for those times where something more than calling the local LEO would possibly be necessary to resolve a situation. So, I will decline to respond in that regard.
;)

As far as placing a firearm over ones door, I wonder if it has occurred to some folks, that doing so might provide a firearm to someone who does not have one, should they enter without your permission with the intent of doing something illegal, regardless of whether they intended any harm or not. Particularly if you are not aware of their entrance, whether it be thru that particular door or not. Those folks who may have a firearm above any doors might want to also realize that without you, or anyone being home, that firearm is just another bit of loot for anyone there to steal.

That firearm would also be available to those young folks, who, with the normal curiosity of being young & wanting to know things, might take the time to build a way, or just get a chair or stool & access such a firearm. I am not talking about just a toddler either. I am talking even up to the teens. Just because you have told/taught your children not to handle firearms without an adult, there is still the chance that they could use bad judgement & do so anyway.

Any of the above is a pretty high stakes chance to take, by leaving a loaded firearm out where it is not secured either by your presence, or secured in another way. If you are not "completely sure" that no one without "authorized access" is able to get their hands on that(or any) firearm, you are possibly setting yourself up for something you do not want to happen to occur, even if you consider that possibility to be remote.

Now, if one is out in a rural area & does not have anyone to worry about breaking into their home, or using the firearm in an inappropriate manner, then I suppose it is not as risky. The example of the older couple & the bear would come to mind, but then again, there were children around, even though their system changed afterwards, the risk is still there that the children being present without adult supervision can occur, & likely more frequently than the need for the firearm for other emergency reasons.

If one just lives in a bad neighborhood, the burglary or strong armed robbery possibility rises, but then also the chance it could happen when you are not around & then the loss could happen, or as I said, worse if you happen to come home when they are there & you are not aware of it & cannot take precautions to be prepared.

Now I am not against doing what is being discussed. I am just playing the "devils advocate" & offering up some considerations that so far I have not seen mentioned.

Now, I do have what I would think are some better suggestions...

One is, if you do not have a CC permit get one. Either for out & about or at home. If you live in a place where one is not needed in your home, or on your property, carry a firearm there, and go get one to carry elsewhere, so you can carry everywhere.

Two, if you can CC, do so at all times, or at least in close proximity to you at all times in your home, as well as out & about, & then you will not need a firearm over any doors.

Third, if you do not want to "physically" carry in your home, then bring the firearm with you as you go to different places in your home & keep it near you. If you answer the door, take it with you, & so on...

There are some other suggestions , but I reckon many here would already know about them or will figure them out if they think about it.

Do as ya like, but IMO, giving it some real good thought about whether to do it or not & whether or not you want to tell anyone that you do it, or not, is up to you.
;)

G'Luck! Whatever ya decide!
:)

03-31-2019, 02:33 PM
We kept 6 M-16's, 6 Mini-14's and 6 870's in racks in our truck at work. That truck ran 24/7 over the best roads a corrupt and ignorant major city government could muster, and they all ran just fine. The jostling a closing door would induce should be insignificant. You know the environment you live in so if it's appropriate, do as you please.

Bazoo
03-31-2019, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand the risks of theft, I don't have a safe yet. I'd like a small one. Unlike most here I don't have a collection, but rather a handful of working guns. I work from home, and most of the time someone is here. We have 4 dogs in house, with 2 being half pit half boxer. They aren't mean. But they don't take kindly to strangers in the house.

There is never a time I don't have my 1911 on me other than when I'm in bed.

I always keep a long gun loaded on my single rack right now. Mostly it's my 22 rifle but sometimes my deer rifle, especially during season. I live in the country and begin hunting soon as I leave the house. It ain't got nothing to do with self defence.

I won't touch on the kids not bothering it as that's a can of worms and depends a lot on the parenting and environment the kids are in.

Bazoo
03-31-2019, 06:33 PM
I was curious about the door causing problems as I've seen light switches and outlets come loose from the wires when next to doors.

Blammer
03-31-2019, 06:39 PM
should be fine over the door, if you can reach it.

Bazoo
03-31-2019, 06:44 PM
should be fine over the door, if you can reach it.
I'm 6'5. I can put my palms on the ceiling.

Texas by God
03-31-2019, 08:05 PM
I traded a Browning B80 shotgun for a Ruger .44 Carbine with a retired city policeman in his home. I remember him having a Mossberg. 410 Persuader over his front door. If your 6'5" tall, you can velcro the gun to the ceiling [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WheelgunConvert
04-01-2019, 03:38 AM
I keep a can of wasp spray by each door for pest control.

Mr_Sheesh
04-01-2019, 04:25 AM
Could also put the gun behind a false panel so it's there but not visible to kids / intruders.

MOA
04-01-2019, 05:05 AM
Something like this could work.

Stephen Cohen
04-01-2019, 06:10 AM
JBinMN made a good point. Back when Australia was a free Country I left an M1 carbine with my mother when I left to work in another state, one night around 10pm someone was kicking in the front door and mum just had time to grab the carbine as the door flew open, she raised to gun to shoot the intruder in the face and another intruder had gained entry through he back door and grabbed my 6yr old sister around the throat and ordered mum to drop the gun or he would cave my sisters head in with his torch, about this time my young brother came out with his air rifle and shot the man holding our sister right in the testicles and he dropped my sister and his torch and went to ground screaming, mum used the distraction to again take aim and pulled the trigger at which time she realised she had not loaded the rifle the magazine was still in her pocket. It was a good thing my mum did not panic she just ordered the unwounded intruder to pick up his mate and get the hell out. Turns out the two intruders were repo scum who were looking for the previous tenants, the Police were quiet happy that mum had taken care of the matter and were happy to leave it at that as no complaint came from the two intruders. I guess the moral of the story is don't take an empty gun to a gun fight and be prepared at all times, and don't ever come between my mum and her kids. Regards Stephen

Shawlerbrook
04-01-2019, 06:28 AM
Whatever works for your situation. Just be sure your state doesn’t have any ridiculous safe storage laws and make sure it’s safe from children. For me, near the door doesn’t make sense. My house has four entrance doors . I prefer in a safe , out of sight place in the interior.

RED BEAR
04-01-2019, 08:53 AM
If i don't know who is at my door i answer with gun in my hand behind my back. There have been several instances of people rushing in when door is answered in my area.

Mr_Sheesh
04-01-2019, 09:06 AM
They make door video cameras that use the peephole to display who's there & the area around them. And there are lots of "IP Cameras" that pan, zoom, etc. that you can get, to give a couple views from each side of the front door area as well as other doors.

Bazoo
04-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. That's an interesting story Stephen, thanks for sharing.

I do plan to get a safe for fear of theft, but still plan to keep my loaded gun on the wall or above the door. Usually it's a beater marlin model 60. During deer season, as I said, it's my deer rifle, but I sometimes muzzleloader hunt and I borrow my buddies MZ and keep it loaded. We see deer in the yard all the time, and if I look out and see a nice buck courting the resident does, I don't want to waste any time loading.

I don't know of any state laws that would be a problem, ky is pretty self defense and gun friendly. I stay armed with my 1911 at all times. It's as normal to me as having a pocket knife. I don't walk around the house without my gun. If I get up in the night to go to the bathroom, and I don't have my pants on I carry my gun in hand. Been constantly armed more than a decade now.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-01-2019, 03:58 PM
An interesting, Wild West, kind of a thread! My thoughts are that if you hear the fox raiding the hen house, someone breaking into your car in the driveway, something away from the door, then having a gun available over the door might work out favorably. But, if someone is attempting to enter through the door by deception, shouldering into it or kicking it and the door flies open and they suddenly intrude into the room from their efforts, then they are inside between you and the gun and you'll have to overpower them to get to it. Probably better to have something in hand when you approach to answer the knock, bell, or pounding -- which would be a handgun. Also, should an intruder get ahold of the barrel of a rifle or shotgun he may have the leverage to remove it from your grasp. If you have to respond from another room and find them already in the house, better to have your gun somewhere else where you will be able to access it than over the door they just entered.

Of course, we all have different architecture. But ideally, when someone is at the door and you don't recognize the voice, you will turn on the porch light and ask them to take a few steps to the right/left over to the window where you can see them. Again, this is assuming favorable architecture -- the presence of a porch light and window -- and it goes without saying that if you don't recognize them you'll not be likely to let them in. If they become threatening and abusive you can assure them that your wife or whomever (whether or not they exist),is already calling the police to respond to a prowler, and then you can display your handgun if necessary. At that point, if they do crash your door and you do shoot them you've done about all you could do and you're not likely to be charged with a crime.

You need a stout front door, and if there is no convenient front window then a closed circuit camera on the porch is a great idea, especially if it can record. Living, as I do, in a remote area I practice what I preach. I do not have a gun over the door, do have one concealed in the living room, and three more elsewhere. There's really no question about how many minutes it will take the Sheriff's Dept. to respond to my phone call -- the question is will it be today. So, should you drop by to visit, smile, identify yourself, and act friendly! :D

Thumbcocker
04-02-2019, 01:51 PM
When I was out of the house a lot at night Mrs. Thumbcocker had a .30 carbine with 15 soft point j words in a 30 round magazine inside the closet door. I seriously thought about getting a bayonet for it and keeping it on the barrel to make anyone trying to wrest the gun away from her think twice.

fatnhappy
04-03-2019, 02:29 PM
A quick thought from Jack Handy: if a rifle is negatively impacted by a door slamming, what's recoil going to do to it?

MT Gianni
04-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Something like this could work.

That would be as easily accessible inside the closet.

rockshooter
04-06-2019, 12:47 AM
hung above the closet door (on the inside) works too- people don't look up
Loren

bob208
04-09-2019, 03:15 PM
after dark I answer the door with ruger security-six in hand.

RogerDat
04-09-2019, 03:55 PM
hung above the closet door (on the inside) works too- people don't look up
Loren This is probably better than over the front door. People really don't look up and back in a closet. Much less likely to come home and find the firearm in the hands of an intruder than hung out in plain site. If you are worried about kids getting a loaded firearm then wrap a box of ammo or box with magazine with clear heavy packing tape. Not going to get it off without making a mess of it which discourages getting in as long as getting caught is a concern. While you can just rip the box open to load for an emergency.

If an intruder can see the door from another window, a different door, or sliding door which they might be peering through as part of breaking in I would think a rifle in plain site would be an added inducement to break in. Quick $50 sitting right there in plain site.

woodbutcher
04-09-2019, 04:18 PM
:twisted: Back in the days gone by(1930`s)my Grand Father kept a Greener 10ga with 20"bbls beside his front door.Was a great attitude changer.IIRC,it was marked "Property of Wells Fargo".He was a former employee.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

oldred
04-09-2019, 04:44 PM
When I was growing up back in the hills of Eastern Ky we (my grandparents I stayed with) always kept a 12 ga shotgun and a 22 rifle standing in the corners of the living room, so did everyone else I knew back then. There were no gun racks or gun cabinets around there back then and I grew up pretty much thinking it was just natural to keep guns standing in a corner of the room! Under threat of knowing we would be unable to sit for a week we kids knew well enough not to mess with the guns (which were never loaded but ammo was kept handy in case it should be needed quickly) so no one considered it odd or dangerous leaving the guns out like that and in fact everyone considered it to be normal. Times change I suppose and depending on the area a person lives in it may or may not a good idea to leave any kind of gun easily accessible to just anyone who is around, I personally would not do so anymore for various reasons but if someone else wants to place a gun above a door or stand one in a corner then I understand and respect that.

Times do change for sure, I have talked to folks about how I grew up and could see some of them didn't believe a word of it, one fella just flat out accused me of telling something I had read in a book. I guess we were stuck in time back in that country in the 50's and very early 60's and we did indeed keep those guns standing in the corner, but then we also had a yard full of chickens and the "bridge" across the stream (the "branch" we called it) between the house and the road (ROAD?? :roll:) was called a "foot-log" for a good reason, it was just a big oak log that my grandfather had hewn flat on one side. I can still see the old place in my mind, I can clearly visualize those long guns standing in the corner just as I can see my gandma with a broom shooing chickens out of the house that had wondered in through the open doors in the summer -yep for sure times and ways of doing things do change!

OldBearHair
04-09-2019, 05:23 PM
I hear you oldred, that is about the way it was when I was growing up too.

oldred
04-09-2019, 05:45 PM
that is about the way it was when I was growing up too.

It certainly was a different world there at that time but I cherish the memory and it's not just a case of remembering the good times and forgetting the bad as I have been told by some folks. I can honestly say I would like nothing more than to go back there if it was still the same, which of course it's not. I have joked with my kids about the differences between then and now and the way they were growing up, saying if we could somehow go back to that place and time for a visit they would surely hate it but the only way they would get me to come back here would be to drag me back kicking and screaming all the way!

Ozark mike
04-14-2019, 01:02 AM
When I was growing up back in the hills of Eastern Ky we (my grandparents I stayed with) always kept a 12 ga shotgun and a 22 rifle standing in the corners of the living room, so did everyone else I knew back then. There were no gun racks or gun cabinets around there back then and I grew up pretty much thinking it was just natural to keep guns standing in a corner of the room! Under threat of knowing we would be unable to sit for a week we kids knew well enough not to mess with the guns (which were never loaded but ammo was kept handy in case it should be needed quickly) so no one considered it odd or dangerous leaving the guns out like that and in fact everyone considered it to be normal. Times change I suppose and depending on the area a person lives in it may or may not a good idea to leave any kind of gun easily accessible to just anyone who is around, I personally would not do so anymore for various reasons but if someone else wants to place a gun above a door or stand one in a corner then I understand and respect that.

Times do change for sure, I have talked to folks about how I grew up and could see some of them didn't believe a word of it, one fella just flat out accused me of telling something I had read in a book. I guess we were stuck in time back in that country in the 50's and very early 60's and we did indeed keep those guns standing in the corner, but then we also had a yard full of chickens and the "bridge" across the stream (the "branch" we called it) between the house and the road (ROAD?? :roll:) was called a "foot-log" for a good reason, it was just a big oak log that my grandfather had hewn flat on one side. I can still see the old place in my mind, I can clearly visualize those long guns standing in the corner just as I can see my gandma with a broom shooing chickens out of the house that had wondered in through the open doors in the summer -yep for sure times and ways of doing things do change!

That's the way my family was up into the 90s we had guns strung all over the house dad had one in a corner behind his chair a few over the table on deer antlers and a bunch in corners but then again this was before southern Mo become so crowded and 10 yo kid's (me) could run around in the woods bare footed with a rem 22 Target master and bring quail home for dinner

OldBearHair
04-14-2019, 06:44 PM
As for people today believing how we lived back when. We lived in a house provided by Sunray Oil Co. which was modern for the time. No insulation, no airconditioning, plenty of gas for lights and heat for winter. A sort of ranch road came along one side off the main road and a family lived at the end of it about a half mile. The boy that lived there was about my age and I went to his house one time and he showed me his "nail" that he hung his clothes and possessions on. He was careful to point out a piece of well chewed bubble gum on the end of the nail that he saved. He could put the one pair of his shoes below on the floor. They used kerosene for lights, and heating and you could see rays of daylight coming in the room in a few different places in the roof and walls. Everything reeked of kerosene and it was pretty dark as everything was pretty well smoked up. We had cows and Dad would send butter and milk home regularly with those kids when they got off the school bus. Yes, everybody in the family had their own "nail" along that same wall. And yes that was the only room they had. That all took place during WW2 when everything was rationed or nonexistant. The most important thing to me was , I couldn't get tires and tubes for my bike. The tires were taped up with athletic white tape as long as it was possible to keep air in the tires for a little while then get the tire pump out. Finally you would lose that battle and had to walk. Much more could be added to this story, but I will stop now.

OldBearHair
04-14-2019, 06:50 PM
I don't recall exactly but after the war and things became available Dad bought me a Stevens single shot 22 for $12.95 and I hunted nearly every day after school for rabbits for the table. What I didn't exactly recall is whether I slept with that little rifle or stood it in the corner by my bed.

Stephen Cohen
04-14-2019, 08:15 PM
Ozark mike and Old Bearhair you both remind me of a simple time in my life. While I was a young lad in the early 60s I still remember kero being used for lighting and the old wood stove. I remember that near every home had a Lee Enfield, shotgun or 22 rifle leaning against a door some place and the old war time tin helmet full of flowers sitting on a window sill. It was a time of decency honesty and integrity something that is sadly lacking in much of society today. I can relate to those who doubt that this is the way it was because they have it too dam easy today. Regards Stephen

uscra112
04-14-2019, 09:05 PM
OVER the door would make it inaccessible in the case of a "barge-in", as somebody already noted. It's also an open invitation to drop it from 6 feet up if fumbled.

I have a .22 rifle standing in the corner behind the door to deal with furry four-footed marauders. Out of sight unless the door is closed. For approaching the door with an unexpected caller at midnight I have a .357 handy but NOT in my hand. One time that caller was a sheriff's deputy. Just a "welfare check" triggered by my kids not being able reach me on the phone because AT&T's line was out (again). Imagine his reaction had I had the gun visible.

Ozark mike
04-15-2019, 01:07 AM
OVER the door would make it inaccessible in the case of a "barge-in", as somebody already noted. It's also an open invitation to drop it from 6 feet up if fumbled.

I have a .22 rifle standing in the corner behind the door to deal with furry four-footed marauders. Out of sight unless the door is closed. For approaching the door with an unexpected caller at midnight I have a .357 handy but NOT in my hand. One time that caller was a sheriff's deputy. Just a "welfare check" triggered by my kids not being able reach me on the phone because AT&T's line was out (again). Imagine his reaction had I had the gun visible.

I guess that depends how the door was designed our place was a cabin that mom and dad built and the door was made out of 2x6s you wasn't going to barge in especially since there was a home made door bolt 3/4 in thick and dad always opened the door holding a 30 carbine and demanding to know what you want besides most everyone knew the stories about how crazy the Cox's were in our county

Bazoo
04-15-2019, 02:14 AM
Folks barging in my house will see the muzzle of my 1911 which is always on me even in the house. For me, a loaded rifle is only for utility. As far as folks having access to it, we don't have many visitors, and the ones we do are trusted.

Some interesting stories and different views, I appreciate everyone's responses.

lightman
04-15-2019, 05:54 AM
I always thought that a rack over the door inside of the closet would make an easily accessible storage place for a short barrel 870. Out of sight, not easily seen and accessible. Just saying..........

oldred
04-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Folks barging in my house will see the muzzle of my 1911 which is always on me even in the house.

Same here, I would feel downright nekid without my 45 auto and it goes where I go! I have often been asked about it and heard many comments, some approving and some snide remarks but it doesn't bother me a bit if someone seeing it gets upset about it. If I encounter one of those STUPID "no gun zones" I simply don't go into them with the exception of the post office and I avoid it when possible. Open carry is legal here but I see very few others doing so and it would be nice to see a lot more folks exercising their rights, fortunately concealed carry is also legal and a lot of folks do that.

Bazoo
04-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the comment oldred. Not to mention anyone coming into the house would be met by 4 dogs all raising cane. The border collie and the lab might not pose much of a threat, but my boxer and her pit don't take kindly to strangers. They read a persons body language, so even folks they know are fair game if they intend us harm.

I normally conceal but have open carried a good amount in the past. I've had many folks come up and ask me if I was a cop, and then look horrified when I said no. Had several people ask if it was a 9mm, that always amuses me. Had a guy come up and tell me "you know your hammer is back?" To which I replied "yeah, the safety's on", he did not look amused.

I've been carrying constantly for 10 years, only taking my gun off when entering schools and federal buildings. Here, you can carry in a private establishment that has a sign and if you're caught the only recourse is they can ask you to leave. The concealed carry handbook doesn't advocate it, but says carrying in those places is not a crime.

Places we can't carry with a ccdw license are, schools, bars, gov buildings, daycare unless you own it, post offices, polices stations, meetings of council and court rooms.

Lead pot
04-17-2019, 11:03 PM
A rifle would not be my choice especially over a door. If one would bust through you would never reach it. Also if you have close neighbors a rifle would pass through your interior wall and the neighbors as well. I short leagle length barreled shot gun is my choice. A short 20" double barrel makes a good deterrent when they see those two big holes.

oldred
04-18-2019, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=Blammer;4627611]I think one over the fireplace is a good place.

Looks as if I will be spending the next few weeks building a fireplace.

Hamish
04-20-2019, 05:10 PM
When I was out of the house a lot at night Mrs. Thumbcocker had a .30 carbine with 15 soft point j words in a 30 round magazine inside the closet door. I seriously thought about getting a bayonet for it and keeping it on the barrel to make anyone trying to wrest the gun away from her think twice.

You have no idea how this made me laugh!

God help the numbskull that ever decided to mess with her, armed or not!! At the very least they are going to need a diaper change,,,,,,

(yes on the bayonet)

OldBearHair
04-20-2019, 07:32 PM
A friend and I worked the second shift and his wife was being bothered by someone prowling in their back yard near the bedroom. He took her out to the dump and showed her how to walk to about 10 or 12 feet from the window and shot #1 low through the window and keep shooting the .357 revolver til it reached about midway up the window allowing the recoil to do the rising. A couple nights later, she heard someone messing with the window screen like a tearing noise. She positioned herself as taught and began to fire four shots. At the first she heard a scream then nothing. Called her husband, he got home with police there looking for the pervert. They found footprints but no blood. There were no more problems at night at their house. There was a lot of speculation about where the first shot hit and also figured the target was nowhere around when the other shots were fired.

OldBearHair
04-20-2019, 10:54 PM
My post is way off subject. It was supposed to be posted elsewhere. Sorry.

Bazoo
04-21-2019, 02:35 AM
That was a good story oldbearhair, thanks for sharing.

shdwlkr
04-21-2019, 12:03 PM
How about one of those paint ball things, would be not lethal, would definitively leave a mark and color for the police to look for? The not lethal is if you aimed at center of mass, leg or arm other places just might be. Oh and the only real sound from any distance most likely would be the pert on recieving the paint balls

Ozark mike
04-21-2019, 05:17 PM
I've Been shot with a few paintballs even if you turned up the pressure I don't think it would stop em. Besides a load of buck of your choice from a good sxs means that they will cease to become someone else's problem down the road and less likely for me to pay taxes to feed and cloth em

oldred
04-22-2019, 07:52 AM
For me it's my 45 1911, no better intruder medicine was ever invented IMHO!

However my wife would disagree, years ago I obtained a 12 ga pump that I cut down to the minimum, it's perfectly legal but just barely, and keep it loaded with light low-brass loads for her. She loves this thing and gets a real kick (pun intended) out of it but she can control it quite well and can easily hit anything I can toss up in the air for her, I guarantee she would not have to fumble around with that thing if she needed to use it in an emergency. Heavy buck loads might be the choice of some folks but I personally think the light field loads are a much better choice, after all we are talking about a 12 ga at close range! The light loads are far more controllable, have much less muzzle blast (extremely important when indoors), far less chance of collateral damage and at these ranges they will easily stop anything no matter how determined they may be.

shdwlkr
04-22-2019, 10:53 AM
I mentioned the paint ball gun in case someone didn't feel comfortable in taking a life. IF it is up to me and I had the means it would be a shotgun with buckshot. Yes I understand how to use it, the Army taught me well how to use a shotgun. Don't rule out a good baseball bat either, just saying there are many things that can be used when your life is on the line.

oldred
04-22-2019, 12:15 PM
I mentioned the paint ball gun in case someone didn't feel comfortable in taking a life.

I can certainly understand that and fully respect those who feel that way, in my case (and my wife even more so) lethal force would be used only as a very last resort and both of us are level headed enough not to panic and make a regrettable mistake. All too often in discussions such as this the "macho" takes over for some and a lot of tough guy over-the-top comments are made, some from those that would act very differently in an actual situation and from others who would do just as they say but this discussion has been quite civil so far. On one hand if someone is breaking into my home then their health and well being is going to be really low on my list of concerns but on the other hand I would deeply regret taking the life of someone who turned out to simply be, for instance, a drunk coming to the wrong house (it happened a few years back). Some can argue "well good enough for him" and I, in some cases anyway, would find that hard to disagree with but still I would have a hard time accepting the taking of anyone's life if they truly meant no harm. The trick of course is to keep cool and analyze the situation, while hesitation could be a fatal mistake the "shoot first and ask questions later" method could also be the mistake of a lifetime so being level headed enough to SERIOUSLY analyze the situation is imperative. Talking tough to our buddies or on an internet forum is one thing but reality is quite another with consequences from our actions that can last forever, the point is to think SERIOUSLY about what we are about to do when we pull that trigger!

shdwlkr
04-22-2019, 01:02 PM
oldred
I am in an area that in more recent times some think it is ok to break in and take what you want. They even do it during daylight hours. If you are just at the wrong house I can see that, but if you think I am an easy mark then you should really rethink that thought really well. I follow rules taught to me many decades ago by my dad and later the US Army, make sure you don't start something that you can't finish and make sure what you start is the action to have taken. I am no internet Rambo, but I sure hope I never have to find out if I still can react to a really negative situation and be the last one standing. have a great day

Blammer
04-23-2019, 11:20 PM
you put 30 paint balls on someone at 10 ft or less in 3 seconds at full power, and they don't run?

You got big problems....and start aiming for the face.

Ozark mike
04-23-2019, 11:44 PM
I wish I got to play with scatter guns in the military handguns and rifles yes but no shotties. I was barely old enough to hold one my first time shooting one though knocked me off my perch though

JBinMN
04-24-2019, 07:46 AM
I wish I got to play with scatter guns in the military handguns and rifles yes but no shotties. I was barely old enough to hold one my first time shooting one though knocked me off my perch though

If you ever had guard duty on a military air base flight line around aircraft(A/C), you would have had "hours" of holding one & carrying it around. { BTW, I wouldn't call it, "playing", I think it was more of a PITA.}
;)

Ozark mike
04-24-2019, 12:31 PM
I was a aircraft crew chief had some guard duty in Korea all I ever got was a m16

JBinMN
04-24-2019, 01:54 PM
I was a aircraft crew chief had some guard duty in Korea all I ever got was a m16

Interesting. When I was on guard duty at MCAS(H) New River a couple of times & it was only shotguns for the squadron we were guarding. IIRC, it was because of the A/C, since if a rifle was fired it could damage more than one & they used jacketed rounds, while the shotguns had 00 buck & were lead projectiles, so less likely to cause damage if one(or more) of the A/C was hit by firing if firing was necessary.

It could also depend on your location of either on perimeter or right next to the A/C on the flight line, though.

Anyway, it was still a PITA duty, even though it needs to be done on occasion. Not unlike Duty NCO, Fire Watch in a barracks, Mess duty, or the like.