PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 cav Sprue Plate Handle

DBrown
10-19-2008, 12:50 AM
I can't keep the sprue plate handle from slipping off (and splitting) Has anyone made a replacement? Looka like a good head resistant material could be used> Or filling a shrt section of PVC with JB Weld? Wouold this be heat resistant?:Fire:

Springfield
10-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Just JB weld on the handle and it should work fine. I prefer heat proof silicone seal, so the handle can be removed if so desired.

shotman
10-19-2008, 03:31 AM
i drilled all of mine with a 1/16 drill and took a small copper wire run through hole and wrapped it a couple of times and run about the last 1/4 in back in the hole. rick

Just Duke
10-19-2008, 04:24 AM
Looks like Red River Rick makes a set of handles now.

MT Gianni
10-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Make sure that it is warmed up properly. I start with my 6 cavity's by filling the furtherest chamber only 2-4 casts then I add one chamber for 2-3 casts until sprues are being cut easily on all 6 holes. Then I consider keeping boolits. If a proper warm up is left out you will break the handle and the plate. Make sure that the mold has been "Leemented" so that your sprue plate is hitting a steel screw rather than aluminum. There is no real need to hit it with a stick if it is warm.Gianni

MtGun44
10-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Never hit mine, just gentle hand pressure, can't imagine how you'd break
a handle.

Bill

Shotgun Luckey
10-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I wonder if the "collar" around the end of the handle is missing? I just tap the end of the handle on the bench kinda gently to seat the handle solidly on the stud. If yours is broken, Lee will sell you a new one for a couple of bucks.

imashooter2
10-20-2008, 01:25 AM
I'm to the point that I remove the handles before first use, apply some silicon sealer and reinstall. No muss, no fuss after that.

shooterg
10-21-2008, 10:45 AM
This thread made me look, and dam if mine ain't splitting. Guess this must be common. Me, I got duct tape !

Dale53
10-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I use the heat proof silicone seal when ever a mould handle comes loose. When it does is when you will break it. The solution is to simply keep a small tube of the silcone seal handy, when it comes loose, just apply the seal to the handle while it is still hot. It sets up almost instantly and you can continue to work. I have never had one come loose again. I have never had one break after it had been siliconed. BE SURE AND USE THE HEAT PROOF STUFF (locate it in your auto parts store).

FWIW
Dale53

Calamity Jake
10-21-2008, 01:52 PM
i drilled all of mine with a 1/16 drill and took a small copper wire run through hole and wrapped it a couple of times and run about the last 1/4 in back in the hole. rick

I do the same execpt I install a 1/16 rollpin from Ace hardware, it locks em on tight and can be removed if needed.