PDA

View Full Version : new twist on telemarketers

Battis
03-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Lately I've been getting calls from what I believe are telemarketers. The problem is they're speaking in what I think is Chinese. How do you mess with someone who doesn't speak English? One time I waited until it sounded like they wanted me to Dial 1 to speak with someone, and I dialed 1 and a live person greeted me. I put in my order - "one from column A, one from column B" and they hung up.
Now I just keep my phone off.

Beagle333
03-28-2019, 03:04 PM
I have gotten those too. Usually a voice message that is in some Asian language. I'm not sure what they are selling, but it must really be a long shot hoping to find both a person who is interested in their product and who also speaks that language.

Conditor22
03-28-2019, 04:00 PM
I spent many years in Asia, so anytime I get a phone call from a number I don't recognize I answer in Thai.

Surprising how many times they hang up on my :) :bigsmyl2:

bedbugbilly
03-28-2019, 04:32 PM
I had one yesterday and I could hardly understand the guy - something about solar power for the house and wanting me to pay them $100 in order to see if I qualified - asked him where he was calling from and he gave me the company name - I repeated myself and then said what country are you calling from . . the answer PAKISTAN. I told him I only speak the "King's English" and then when I did. he evidently didn't
t wamt t talk anymore . . but to before he told me what I could do to myself? Oh golly gee . . . I am feeling so bad that he didn't want to talk to me anymore . . . :-)

RED BEAR
03-28-2019, 04:32 PM
I just tell them they want my brother and set the phone down until i hear the beep beep then hang up. They waste enough of my time i waste as much of theres as i can. My wife usually answers as if she's confused and keeps asking i won what did i win.

xs11jack
03-28-2019, 07:37 PM
My wife told me today that in the future she is going to proselytize all the calls we get with a number we don't know. She is going to keep on talking even if the salesperson tries to sell something. I think this a great Idea.
Ole Jack

Winger Ed.
03-28-2019, 07:40 PM
Those air horn things you get for the boat are fun too.

fatelk
03-28-2019, 08:00 PM
I heard somewhere that the robocalls in Chinese or Spanish are typically scams aimed at people here from those countries. They claim to be from consulates or some such, demanding money in return for immigration help, something along those lines.

If they dial ten thousand numbers, they’re bound to find someone with suitable troubles who will fall for it. Pretty sleazy.

rancher1913
03-28-2019, 08:12 PM
some one told me that if you get spam or telemarketing from china to use phrases like" teinamin square rally" or some other politico phase and the government bot censors will shut down the persons internet. only works if they are in china.

Tom W.
03-28-2019, 08:14 PM
If it's someone that needs to tell me something I'll wait for a voicemail. I don't answer numbers that I don't recognize.

EDG
03-28-2019, 09:14 PM
I got a call that from someone that I did not recognize so I answered in Tex-Mex Spanish "me no habla Englais" and then I hung up. Later I got several calls from recruiters wanting to hire an engineer that speaks Spanish.

Winger Ed.
03-28-2019, 09:40 PM
Years ago, I got a answering machine in a pawn shop that already had a great out going message already on it.

It was some big husky sounding brother saying:
"Ahhhh,,, Dis be da Jones res-e-dence. We not heah ride now...……..
(Pause for the sound of yelling and beating a couple of little kids) Leave yo name an numma, an we call you ride back".

Nobody ever left a message or called back that didn't know me.

William Yanda
03-29-2019, 12:33 AM
I sent Marriot Hotels a $50 penalty bill today, doubled because I have requested to be placed on their do not call list. Tonight when I got home I had an email with a file number for the case.

Forty Rod Ray
03-29-2019, 12:53 AM
My daughter put an app in my iPhone. It is called Hiya. Since it has been on my phone my bogus calls are down to one every two three days. Many times it will interfere with a bogus call without letting me know. Ordinarily, it will message me when it has what thinks is bogus.

It is not 100% but is acceptable to my needs... I have not caught it interfering with a legitimate call.

abunaitoo
03-29-2019, 01:11 AM
I sometimes play the "hello, hello, hello. Is anyone there????"
They hang up.
My friend starts talking German to them.

Battis
03-29-2019, 06:53 AM
I checked into the Hiya app and I might give it a try. I just have to find a 5 yr old to help me install it (I'm tech challenged).

RED BEAR
03-29-2019, 09:00 AM
I get a dozen or so every day press the number to be taken off list i think that just sends your number to 10 more. I have gotten to the point that i use these calls as high entertainment. I try to keep them on the line as long as possible. Told one to hold on i would get my brother after about 5 minutes he hung up then called back and said he didn't appreciate that. I responded with i didn't ether i went all the way out to the back field and by the time we got back he hung up if he wanted to talk to him i would go get him again if he wouldn't hang up he held on almost 20 minutes.

country gent
03-29-2019, 10:56 AM
I have noticed the telemarketers here now when you start to ask to be placed on do not call lost hang up before you finish. I to tie up their time as much as possible and drag it out as much as possible my record is 20 mins LOL.
The one that really irks me is when I answer the phone and am obviously on hop while the telemarketer finishes up. They call me and then put me on hold to wait for them. That person is way behind the 8ball starting out at that point

LynC2
03-29-2019, 11:26 AM
I sometimes play the "hello, hello, hello. Is anyone there????"
They hang up.
My friend starts talking German to them.

LOL, I tell them "Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" works every time. :lol:

Smoke4320
03-29-2019, 11:35 AM
Hiya does work for us .. I was getting numerous calls a day now Hiya intercepts them. sometimes it will ring 2 to 3 times then gets intercepted .. so I don't answer till 5 th ring or IF I recognize the number

BigAlofPa.
03-29-2019, 11:58 AM
I had a call today today. It said this is not a sales call. Then it goes on you qualify for the medical brace you enquired about. I hung up then.

jeepyj
03-29-2019, 12:01 PM
I say 911 what exactly is your emergency? Usually get a quick hang up or just be silent, if its automated and it doesn't hear a sound it just hangs up. I get about 6 or 7 a day.

big bore 99
03-29-2019, 12:03 PM
If I don't recognize the number on caller id, I don't answer. Lately I've been getting calls from my own number. Wonder whats going on with that?

snowwolfe
03-29-2019, 07:00 PM
You guys are to kind. Always tell them I am having sex with their mother and will answer their questions after we are finished.

MaryB
03-29-2019, 07:12 PM
Hi FBI field office, what can I help you with? *click*

bob208
03-29-2019, 08:25 PM
I am learning Klingon. that gets then talking they tried Spanish French even Korean . I just tell them their mother has a smooth head and hang up.

dbosman
03-29-2019, 09:33 PM
Many of those calls are merely confirming that the number picks up. They can then sell your number as a live one. Best to just ignore calls when you don't recognize the caller.

Rufus Krile
03-30-2019, 05:02 PM
Told the last one, "Mike",(who was trying to sell me something to do with medical braces) that my name was Rajinesh Karanji and I was calling him today with some great news about his credit rating. I believe Mike got a bit confused.

Land Owner
03-31-2019, 06:39 AM
Tell them they have called you at The Office where all calls are monitored. Give them another number to call.

ANY area code and 867-5309

chuckbuster
04-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Tell them in a slightly sad voice that the person they are asking for was your Uncle, Father, whatever relation you would like, and they should maybe update their records since that person doesn’t live “here” anymore, in fact “been gone” for several years.... With a little practice you can sound quite convincing. Sure gets an interesting response sometimes,,,,
Kevin

Hickory
04-01-2019, 07:49 PM
My standard response:
I do not do money transactions over the phone unless I initiate it.
Then I hang up.

mold maker
04-02-2019, 01:29 PM
I tell them the subject moved and supply the cemetery number.

trapper9260
04-02-2019, 02:00 PM
I got call one time and said that they where the IRS and that I got till some date to pay them on the phone other wise they will come down to arrest me, I told them you better make sure you got the sheriff with you, because I will be waiting for you. They hung up.

JoeJames
04-02-2019, 03:00 PM
Buddy who's a retired Little Rock cop claims that is why 9-11 occurred - all the folks who make these calls are from the Middle East and they finally got a belly full of all of us cussing them when they'd make scam calls. Says it was their revenge.

MT Gianni
04-02-2019, 06:09 PM
I ask for their SS number to verify their identity.

Mal Paso
04-03-2019, 10:12 PM
I was in a customers home when a call came in, he went around a corner and answered it.

Hello ............ Their Dead ........... click

He must have seen my expression, he explained, the original owners passed away years ago, no one ever changed the number so if anyone calls for them it's a sales pitch and nothing stops that quicker than telling them their party is dead.

Big Tom
04-04-2019, 09:09 PM
"Two Hamburgers, no cheese, large fries - please make sure they are crispy and a coke, 3 pieces of ice. And what sauces do you have for the fries"?

Ticks them off every single time :-)

big bore 99
04-04-2019, 09:19 PM
What does it mean when you get one of these calls from your own number?

Minerat
04-04-2019, 09:31 PM
You block it! Cause you know for sure it is a poltergeist cause you cannot answer a call from yourself. . We got 2 last week SWMBO answers first and no one came on. I blocked it and on second call the phone system cut it off on first ring. If they had answered was tempted to ask the caller why I called myself, just to see its response.

Cast_outlaw
04-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Just try to sell them something

starmac
04-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Back when I owned a shop, I ran 24 hour wrecker and road side service for semi trucks. I can not tell you how many times I would get woke up at 2 am and have a foreign truck driver rattle off a bunch of huey in my ear. I would always tell them to call back when they could speak english. I could nevver figure out if they actually thought I would get dressed and start out looking for them, with no idea of where they were at.
years ago, I would use a pay phone and call home once in a while, when I was on the road. I dialed an operator once to make a collect call, and before I ever spoke, the operator rattled off a bunch of spanish. when she was finished, I said, lady, what makes you think I understood a word of that, she told me she thought I was spanish. I had not said a word, so I ask her what gave her that idea, could she see over the phone? lol

samari46
04-04-2019, 11:41 PM
Supposedly there were about 5 companies that were fined a few million bucks for their robo calls. As far as I'm concerned it hasn't made a bit of difference. Frank

wch
04-05-2019, 04:07 AM
I had been plagued with robocalls and telemarketers to the extent that I had to start blocking calls from any unrecognized number I saw on caller ID.
Since I started doing that the number of spurious calls has dropped dramatically.

MaryB
04-05-2019, 04:30 PM
5 robo calls so far today... typical is 6-7...

MT Gianni
04-05-2019, 07:26 PM
What does it mean when you get one of these calls from your own number?

Weirdest thing I ever saw was my name on caller ID. Turned out to be a 2nd cousin but still odd to see.