PDA

View Full Version : Range time Blackhorn success

corvette8n
10-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I just spent some time at the range and settled on 100gr of Blackhorn 209 and 295gr. powerbelts, and regular Win 209 primers. I shot 16 rounds without swabing the bbl. Prior to this success I was ready to trash this CVA Kodiak 50 cal muzzle loader. I could not fire more than one shot without getting a huge crud ring that would prevent me from loading a second shot with out CLEANING, I even broke my range rod trying to get a patch down the bore. My trial included pyrodex, T7, both loose and pellets, Goex FF, and Win, Rem, Federal muzzle loading primers, tried CCI 209M and every other 209 primer to no avail. I mailed ordered the Blackhorn 209 with some other smokeless to lessen the haz mat. charge. No local store has it yet, I hope they make pellets soon. I'm glad I bought two cans. Accurate too. I'm sold.

Heavy lead
10-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Good to know, I've got some I bought for my encore and haven't used it yet. I got lucky, my local guy got some in, so no haz mat.

frontier gander
10-19-2008, 01:57 AM
I surely wouldn't recommend that you shoot an animal at close range with that set up. Switch to the 300gr Platinum if you have to use that amount of powder.