PDA

View Full Version : muzzleloader

lunicy
10-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Do you have to complete a NICS check to buy a muzzleloader/blackpowder gun.

Jim
10-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Nope! You walk into the store, make your pick, plunk your money down and walk out. Same thing with email shopping for same said item, 'ceptin' there ain't no store to walk into! Like buyin' a holster or a fryin' pan or a ball cap.

corvette8n
10-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I think it depends on where you live, got this off of an online mail order place

Black Powder firearms cannot be shipped to CA; DE; HI; Chicago, IL; NJ; New York City; RI; TN; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico

I think NJ and MA make you do the NICS.

missionary5155
10-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Correct !!! Check your local law... The gunshop should KNOW this... City ordanances can very within a state...
BUT generally muzzleloaders are exempt except where the Commy dictators have taken over.

Heavy lead
10-18-2008, 07:58 PM
I believe here in MI, handguns can't, but longguns can. I believe blackpowder pistols and revolvers have to be registered like any other handgun. If I'm wrong, someone else from MI chime in.

OBXPilgrim
10-19-2008, 11:40 AM
It also depends on WHAT ML/BP gun it is. Some of the modern in-lines can also be fitted with centerfire rifle barrels - Contender/H&R Handi Rifle/Rossi single shot/CVA Optima Elite, to name a few

mooman76
10-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Typically MLs do not fall under the Federal Firearms Act. Some states have inacted their own rules as how o treat them. I believe OBX is right about the inlines that can be fitted with modern barreled centerfire rifles do fall under the FFL rules. Otherwise if you live in a normal state you can oder a ML right through the mail. I have ordered a few myself.