PDA

View Full Version : Propane tank Mercaptan

Hossfly
03-26-2019, 08:54 PM
Walked by my propane tank today as usual, smelled that Oder they put in to detect leaks. Seen a streak coming over side looked strange. Opened domed lid and saw a clear liquid on top of fill valve, that wasn’t there a few days ago. So dipped my finger in and splashed it out of top of valve, clear looks like water, splashes like water, doesn’t smell like water.
Found some snoop bubble leak detector,(soap) and found a leak at bottom of large fill port, and @ main pressure regulator. Tightened the fittings, all good, except for that smell on my finger, washed with three types soap still there.
Could this liquid I found be Mercaptan? Dome was closed, could it somehow wick its way up and condensate out with the leaking gas? Couldn’t see any evendence of liquid at the leaks, this is an old tank circa 1960’s with combo valve. Ambient temp is 65’F overnight was around 40’. Strange, will check in the am to see if returns it shouldn’t.

samari46
03-27-2019, 12:05 AM
I worked in a LNG plant (liquified natural gas) and we had a setup that injected mercaptan into the gas lines to give it the rotten egg smell. So if your finger stinks like rotten eggs that is what it is. Frank

CraigOK
03-27-2019, 01:20 AM
According to our engineers stainless steel absorbs sulfur, you might try rubbing your hands on some where you touched it.

MT Gianni
03-27-2019, 10:42 PM
Bleach is the standard remover for Mercaptan. If none is available sunlight for 4-5 days is the next bet. Keep it away from leathers and wash whatever it touches at the laundromat rather than home.

Probably not pure captan, just oils holding a lot of odors. One or two drops should odorize a couple thousand gallons of LP.

Dieselhorses
03-27-2019, 10:54 PM
Don't mean to stray too much away from original poster's question but since we're talking about propane/natural gas may I ask this? When I first moved around 9 years ago (into wife's house) I discovered a gas line running from meter (on side of house) around to back patio. I want to utilize this with my burner to melt lead. Would I just need a high pressure regulator instead of the usual for propane? Or is gas already regulated coming from meter? There is a cutoff valve for line at meter and at end. If I have to post this elsewhere I understand.

Minerat
03-27-2019, 10:55 PM
Try a little salt with the soap. It works to get fish stink off your hands.

SciFiJim
03-27-2019, 11:10 PM
Don't mean to stray too much away from original poster's question but since we're talking about propane/natural gas may I ask this? When I first moved around 9 years ago (into wife's house) I discovered a gas line running from meter (on side of house) around to back patio. I want to utilize this with my burner to melt lead. Would I just need a high pressure regulator instead of the usual for propane? Or is gas already regulated coming from meter? There is a cutoff valve for line at meter and at end. If I have to post this elsewhere I understand.

I can't remember for sure and you would have to check it, but I think household natural gas line pressure is 1/4 psi. Thats 4 ounces per square inch. Very low pressure that you can block with finger pressure.

Working with natural gas lines scares me. I can work with electricity all day long without a problem, but I hired a professional to run a new line for our dryer.

Hossfly
03-28-2019, 12:10 AM
Checked tanks this am, no smell and no leaks, no more liquid on top of fill valve and stink gone from finger. After 6 washings with diff. Soaps and washing car and truck.
Dieselhorses as far as natural gas, pressure, house pressure is usually regulated to 10’’ hg. or water column, if your using burner made for natural gas you should be fine, but if burner is for propane the pressure won’t be high enough, propane pressure is usually 14’’ to push thru smaller orrifices.

MT Gianni
03-28-2019, 01:13 PM

If this is metered natural gas, not metered LP you should have a natural gas reg and a larger orifice. Your Nat Gas burner should fire at 3.5" water column and your meter should be regulated at 7" WC. LP fires at 10.5" wc and is a denser gas. If you just remove the regulator on your lp set up you will have flames lifting off the burner and a very in efficient set up.
7" wc the same as 4 oz or 1/4 psig. [gauge pressure]

johnho
03-29-2019, 03:05 PM
We used to use this stuff in the underground mines to evacuate everyone. Had to run a drill every year. We had a hookup where you would put a container of the stuff in the compressed air line and let her go. Stuff would stink up the mine hour hours. But it worked.

jonp
03-29-2019, 06:42 PM

You will need a regulator to drop the pressure first I think.

Dieselhorses
04-01-2019, 09:55 PM
You will need a regulator to drop the pressure first I think.

I will definitely do that! Thanks everyone and sorry Hossfly didn't mean to impose!

Mal Paso
04-02-2019, 09:28 AM
I will definitely do that! Thanks everyone and sorry Hossfly didn't mean to impose!

All the natural gas installations I've seen have a shutoff near the street and a combination meter and pressure regulator next to the house. You should connect after the meter/regulator.

MT Gianni
04-02-2019, 06:15 PM

You gas meter below the regulator should have 1/4 lb pressure, also listed as 7" water column or .250 psig. Your natural gas burner needs to fire at half that so reg it for 3 1/2 " wc with a standard applaince reg. The burner orifice will need to be enlarged from the LP size to the same btu rating. Few shops will legally do that anymore. Going online will get you a btu rating of the orifice size and what number drill you need to use.

fatnhappy
04-03-2019, 12:53 PM
I can't remember for sure and you would have to check it, but I think household natural gas line pressure is 1/4 psi. Thats 4 ounces per square inch. Very low pressure that you can block with finger pressure.

Working with natural gas lines scares me. I can work with electricity all day long without a problem, but I hired a professional to run a new line for our dryer.

I'm exactly the opposite. Electricity is silent, invisible, odorless and always waiting to kill you.
gas on the other hand is a danger that reveals itself and can be coped with.

yes, residential gas services regulate in proximity to the meter. Usually but not always on the riser.
My first job out of the Army, while I was at college, was installing gas services for Rochester Gas and Electric. IIRC NG was .25 PSI